Skip to content

Tranzig's inventory deposited into closet

WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
edited November 2013 in Not An Issue
So I killed Tranzig close to the wall and I couldn't pick up his inventory as my character kept trying to go to the closet on the other side of the wall.

Eventually I went around there to at least explore it and for whatever reason Tranzig's loot (ring of prot, magic missile wand etc) was in the closet.

Expected behaviour: Tranzig's inventory should drop onto the ground and be accessible
Experienced: Tranzig's loot was in the closet instead
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Was his loot really in the closet or did the game make your character stand on the wrong side of the wall to pick up stuff on the ground that was next to it? If you still have a save, you can tell by the picture next to the ground slots.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Jalily said:

Was his loot really in the closet or did the game make your character stand on the wrong side of the wall to pick up stuff on the ground that was next to it? If you still have a save, you can tell by the picture next to the ground slots.

Yes I checked that and it had an icon of a chest of drawers when I looted it. The body was actually slightly removed about 2 cm towards the door so not possible to be confused there. I took a screen shot if you like though it's a hassle being on the iPad.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Registered. A screenshot might help the developers replicate this bug, but I understand if it's a hassle. I linked to this thread, so if they need it, they know where to ask. :)
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I have seen this happen in many places. I know the cause too (sort of). Not sure how to explain it though. It is a "bug" that exists in BG2 as well and I know a reliable way to reproduce it there so I will get some screenshots from there...
    I changed my mind. It was easy enough to reproduce in K-gins shop. I believe this happens when the place where a character stands overlaps with a container. Whenever there is a situation like this the "ground" slots of their inventory becomes one with the inventory of the container. Thus when they die on top of the container they drop their items in their ground slots which, since they are also the container slots, actually means all the items they had go in the container.

Screenshot one: putting the stupifyer in the shelf.image

Screenshot two: standing on a spot which overlaps with the shelf.image

Screenshot three: no black magic here, I simply open my inventory and the shelf's inventory is also my ground inventory.image
    Wowo
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Good work!
    Yes, well there is a problem. I think that this "bug" was set up on purpose (hence the quotation marks). Either way you look at it we have an issue with overlapping containers (that would be the permanent container placed on the area and the temporary body loot container). If we were to fix it so that this "bug" were not to happen we would have to deal with finding a way to differentiate between the body loot and the permanent container which occupy the same screen space. To get a better Idea of what I am talking about; consider just about any doorway in the game. The door (when closed) and the entryway occupy the exact same space so it is impossible to click on the entryway while the door is closed. If someone dies and their loot falls on a spot that overlaps with a container it would cause a similar issue in which you could only click on, and thereby access, one of them. That or some other unforeseeable chain of more serious bugs could crop up. It would likely be confusion for the players and chaos for the developers.

I propose our best option is to leave the current system as is in this regard. I know it is far from perfect (and will drive fans nuts if they can't figure out where the loot went), but I say it is as close as humanly and technologically possible to perfect as we can hope to get with the engine.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Instead of trying to direct pick the items, just click to pick and when your character is nearest possible the ground items, open the inventory. Sometimes you can get the itens this way.

Could be worse, you could rest near an unpatheable area, On the cloakwood mines open area, near the bridge for example. The game reorder the characters positions after you sleep, so you have a chance of get an character binded for good in that area (which will require an reload or the activation of the console for a ctrl+j)
    Tresset
    @kamuizin Yeah, I know the right click on loot; then open inventory trick but I doubt that very many do. This issue is actually quite rare and I don't think it really merits some intensive reprogramming and troubleshooting when there is already a functional (if unusual) "fix" to the issue. I did think of other possible solutions that I did not mention but I also figured that they would likely create more problems than they would solve.

My main point in my previous post was that this issue is more complex then it seems at first and fixing it (or rather altering the current solution to one that makes more sense logically) would be a slippery slope. I admit it is a very odd thing that if you die in the vicinity of a shelf all your stuff gets neatly arranged on the shelf rather than being dumped on the floor, however I also realize the engine has its limitations and sometimes (hopefully as a last resort) logic must be thrown out the window to prevent bugs.

As for the resting bug you mentioned that would be relatively easy to fix by comparison I imagine...
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    This happend in BG, BG2, BGEE, and in IWD.
    Its VERY useful, espacially with containers with traps but no locks,