Skip to content

hardest boss in forgotten realms history?

one per franchse, for me it's either the king of shadows or the prince of demons and the prince of demons is qoute

'the hardest boss to ever haunt the world of fantasy'

Comments

• PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    Demogorgon is easy with the right set up. A sequencer with Breach, Pierce Shield and Lower Resistance followed by Planetars and an Elemental Prince knocking the fuck out of him can kill him in seconds (I usually have more issues with his Demon cohorts since I insist on everyone surviving every battle).

Ravager is the hardest for me, since those infinitely spawning Bone Blades are annoyingly good at slicing up the party.
    Tresset
  • drakescar9drakescar9 Member Posts: 65
    i rez dead party members if any of them die which is rare
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    One word, too many bosses to name. Ascension.
    MERLANCE
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    King of Shadows wasn't hard because he was hard imo... it was having to control a billion million characters. It was more an exercise in annoyance than anything.
    badbromance
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I once killed an overgod. That was rather hard I think.

Seriously though. With all his resistances and depending on what class you are Mephistopheles (OMG spelled right first try!!!) in NWN HotU can be really hard or kinda easy. Since his big weaknesses were acid, divine, and Valen; classes that could dish out tons of acid or divine damage or parties with Valen had a much easier time killing kim.

As far as BG goes though. I remember having a lot of trouble with ravager like @PawnSlayer said and also Melissan depending on whether or not she summoned death tyrants (not that she herself was any easier). Demogorgon seems to go down pretty fast for some reason...

Who is King o Shadows? Is he from BG?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    I can't help but have a feeling that some people are talking about D&D and others are talking about the game =P
    the_spyderkamuizin
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    I remember having a very hard time with Yxunomei the first time I played IWD (without HoW if I'm not mistaken).

Sendai was a nightmare and it took me several attemps on the first time. Then I read about folks wanting to make her HARDER via mods, which I never understood.

Far from being the hardest boss, but one that always gave me trouble was Aec'Letec.
    smeagolheart
    I can't really say what is the hardest boss for me in the game, as most of the fights i found difficult back when i was new, was things like mindflayer and beholder lair in underdark without any boss in them. But my vote for things that gave me the "Oh shit" in Baldur's gate was.

1.) Twisted rune. I clicked on this thing in misstake, voila i got teleported in and was staring down a lich, beholder, vampire, high level sorcerer and a oddly naked fighter. Everything that was so far hard in the game, was in that little room along with me.

2.) Chromatic demon in watcher's keep. Took me a very long time to figure out how to beat this guy, his very high regeneration and the elemental swap he does. I ended up kiting him to the acid room and lock the door the first time i killed him (I do this on no-reload aswell if i don't play a cleric or arcane caster). But when i look back at him, it's quite a simple fight if you have the correct spells ready. Also wait for the element change you want him to have while in the cage, then click on him and he'll still have that the first 10 seconds he's outside. So stack up on all kind of fire magic, wait for him to go ice golem and then click on cage and unleash hell on him.

Sadly most of theese fights lose the charm of being hard once you learn them down to single ability. Tactics and SCS blows new life into the game, as it changes just about everything in the game that was hard. Then when you have learned SCS and tactics all that is left is to limitate yourself by doing other things. Like no-reload or solo with a pure class fighter etc.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited March 2013
    OP, it sounds like you are asking who is the most powerful villain in the Forgotten Realms, for which there are many boxed sets for tabletop games, and a multitude of novels by many authors, etc. So I take it we're talking about lore for the setting itself, and not just the BG game series. If so, that's a good question, because there are so many insanely high level enemies.

Edit: Or if you're talking just about the BG series then that obviously narrows the scope. Then we're looking at which boss is arguably most difficult via a vis the level the party is at (typically).
  • emjayemjay Member Posts: 84
    Well to take a slightly different look at this question, the one fight that really made me sit up and think I need to start using TACTICS in this game, was the Amazons outside of Nashkel Mines. My first game, I was totally unprepared for it, underleveled, without knowledge of the power of crowd controlling spells. After trying everything in this fight and eventually scraping through I think I changed my approach to the game forever.
    JLeeBelgarathMTH
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    The toughest fight I had was Tazzhar - the balor in Watchers Keep with an antimagic room just before him. I tend to do Watcher's Keep pretty early on because I like the challenge of doing it with a fairly low level party. But it's a pretty brutal fight with no pre-buffing possible.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    Every boss in Baldur's Gate is easy with the right plan, and many can be very difficult without.

[Deleted User]Wandering_Minstrel
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Vanilla BG: Kangaxx. Not hard, but harder than anything else out there. Vanilla is pretty easy.

Modded BG: Ascension or Melanthium. Ascension is a complex, very long battle against many enemies; Melanthium has some pretty nasty abilities. Hard to say which, but one of those two for sure.
    SpaceInvader
  • KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201
    Yxunomei on HoF mode in IWD1 takes the cake.
    Except if you use the cheese ranger -> charm animal tactic on her...

Kangaxx comes in as a close second though.
    Freche

Vanilla BG: Kangaxx. Not hard, but harder than anything else out there. Vanilla is pretty easy.

Modded BG: Ascension or Melanthium. Ascension is a complex, very long battle against many enemies; Melanthium has some pretty nasty abilities. Hard to say which, but one of those two for sure.

Yxunomei on HoF mode in IWD1 takes the cake.
    Except if you use the cheese ranger -> charm animal tactic on her...

Kangaxx comes in as a close second though.

I'm curious as why you would rate Kangaxx so high. The only thing he can do is imprison people, if you use a protection from magic scroll or protection from undead he can't touch you. Also if you're a mage and use spell immunity : Abjuration, you're immune to his Imprison spell.

The problem with kangaxx is having a +4 weapon and beating his regeneration time (Need 2 apr for this with decent Thac0).

Mages like the guy in underdark, or the gnome at spellhold, can be much more dangerouse as there isn't any way to stop their magic. And there are many protection from undead scrolls in the game, and few protecton from magic scrolls.

SCS kangaxx also use spell abilities instead of spamming imprison, and he is a foe to respect.
  • bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    sorry to be lame but i cannot think of a fight that cannot be 'cheesed' somehow
    so it depends how you define hard,

for instance Kangaxx can be impossible for an ill prepared group(you need a method to hit him after all)

but you can set traps to insta-kill his 1st form
    and have a mage with spell immunity abjuration or an enraged berserker to cancel his imprisoment spam(he casts it only on the closest target),all that remains is a +5 weapon to hit him
    Koyote
    As someone so rightly said, ANY boss is easy if you know what to do. This is a video game, not neurosurgery.

But if you assume some average Joe coming into vanilla BG and being faced with Kangaxx, they WILL have more trouble with it than with any other boss in the game, if only because they don't know wtf is happening and what to do against it.
    JLee
    edited March 2013

sorry to be lame but i cannot think of a fight that cannot be 'cheesed' somehow
    so it depends how you define hard,

for instance Kangaxx can be impossible for an ill prepared group(you need a method to hit him after all)

but you can set traps to insta-kill his 1st form
    and have a mage with spell immunity abjuration or an enraged berserker to cancel his imprisoment spam(he casts it only on the closest target),all that remains is a +5 weapon to hit him

You can still cheese most SCS fights. But IA (= Improved Anvil) removes most of the cheese in the game. And you'll really have to pull every single thing out of your characters to have a chanse when you go up against some of the harder bosses.

But i agree what with Vanilla BG2 + ToB you can go through the game without ever taking a single point of damage.

• DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Is Kangaxx an enemy? Isn't he the guy from Ulgoths beard that sends you for his cloak? I have never needed to fight him.
    Kangaxx is an enemy in BG2, not BG1, a lich/demilich that has been imprisoned since time immemorial.
    Delvarian said:

Is Kangaxx an enemy? Isn't he the guy from Ulgoths beard that sends you for his cloak? I have never needed to fight him.

Kangaxx is the demilich that sends you out to kill the 2 elemental liches in SoA. You get a pair of arms and legs from one, and a torso from the other. When you return with them to him (He is in the basement of a house in the dock districts next to Maevar's building) He will spawn as a lich first, after you kill his lich form he'll turn into a demi-lich. You get the best ring in the Baldur's gate series from him.
    Oh gotcha, I do have trouble fighting him as I suck against magic users.
    Delvarian said:

Oh gotcha, I do have trouble fighting him as I suck against magic users.

He is one of those bosses that are either a 1/10 on a difficulty scale, or a 11/10. He isn't anywhere in the middle as either you got a tactic that gets you through him without problem, or you're running around as a headless chicken while all your party members disappear one after another.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    edited March 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    My tactics are usually: Cast haste, cast magic missle to disrupt, Hit with sword until dead.
    Aristillius
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    The two beholders at the end of the first tower of Eye of the Beholder II. I don't actually remember ever having managed to defeat them: I just run past them and activate the item that teleports me away.

I mean, the usual side-stepping tactic won't really work since there's two of them, and the tunnels before are labyrinthine and offer a myriad of opportunities for them to trap me.
    MERLANCEMichail
    Delvarian said:

My tactics are usually: Cast haste, cast magic missle to disrupt, Hit with sword until dead.

All liches are immune to level 5 spells and under, and i'm quite sure that demi-liches are immune to level 8 spells and under (Dragon's breath instant kills kangaxx). They put up stoneskin, globe, immune to magical weapons and then they use time stop as a normal strategy in Vanilla games. While you're time stopped they throw a couple of symbols of stun, fear and then summon a demon gate. It's pretty much chaos after the timestop is over, and you're either prepared or dead shortly after.

The reason the Demi-lich is so easy is because he's only doing one spell (Imprison). And it happens to be very easy to get immune to that spesific spell, and if you're immune to it you can just beat him down until he's dead.

• LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Oh, there's one other crazy hard boss from a different series I forgot.

The Lifespring Guardian, in Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor. That guy always gave me so much trouble.