Skip to content

hardest boss in forgotten realms history?

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited March 2013
    SionIV said:

I can't help but have a feeling that some people are talking about D&D and others are talking about the game =P

So is this about D&D or the game? It seems everyone is talking about the game. If this were a D&D discussion, there is someone out there who loves himself the Tarrasque. Where's that guy?
    Delvarian said:

Is Kangaxx an enemy? Isn't he the guy from Ulgoths beard that sends you for his cloak? I have never needed to fight him.

That guys' name is Shandalar or Gary Shandling or something.
    DelvarianEudaemoniumthe_spyder
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689

SionIV said:

I can't help but have a feeling that some people are talking about D&D and others are talking about the game =P

So is this about D&D or the game? It seems everyone is talking about the game. If this were a D&D discussion, there is someone out there who loves himself the Tarrasque. Where's that guy?
    Delvarian said:

Is Kangaxx an enemy? Isn't he the guy from Ulgoths beard that sends you for his cloak? I have never needed to fight him.

That guys' name is Shandalar or something.
    Looking at the thread name i think he ment to talk about all kinds of things in fearun, and not in the game. As if you count the game things like dragons, powerful undead and demons can be cleared by low level characters with barely any gear.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

SionIV said:

He is one of those bosses that are either a 1/10 on a difficulty scale, or a 11/10. He isn't anywhere in the middle as either you got a tactic that gets you through him without problem, or you're running around as a headless chicken while all your party members disappear one after another.

Well said - and a great example of how NOT to code a game. And why the SoPfU & SoPfM are so poorly implemented. It's what Tactics and Ascension do to the game. Contrarily, if applied correctly, SCS can put most fights in the 5-9 range, which is great. I haven't heard of this 'Improved Anvil' though, I might have to look into that.

Toughest boss? It very much depends. Yxunomei was very hard in IWD. Frankly the Planar Sphere was very difficult, if you go through the whole thing without resting. A demon, two high-level mages, some golems, and... feral psionic halflings!!
    I have a feeling they didn't know just how powerful protection scrolls were, when they followed the description that closely. I imagine that kangaxx would be alot harder, if you couldn't protect yourself from magic or undead with a scroll. Then a berserker or a mage/cleric would be the only way to protect against it, and neither of those can give that protection to someone else in the party.

Also you can chunk Kangaxx with azuredge and MoD. This was most likely something they missed, as those weapons wouldn't even be able to hit him, nor damage him as he requires +4 weapons.

So taking that into mind, in SoA (without ToB and watchers keep) There were only so many weapons that you could get to harm him with (Only Carsomyr and a sling before going to the underdark). So they had the intentions of making him one of the hardest encounters, it's just that the protection scrolls and instant kill undead weapons were something they overlooked.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    SionIV said:

Also you can chunk Kangaxx with azuredge and MoD. This was most likely something they missed, as those weapons wouldn't even be able to hit him, nor damage him as he requires +4 weapons.

Actually from P&P game, the mace of disruption was specifically listed as being able to harm a demilich as an exception to the normal requirements.

But otherwise I agree that, without cheesing using scrolls of Magic or Undead protection, Kangaxx is very difficult to kill. In fact when I play with SCS installed, I specifically save the two Magic Protection scrolls in the game for Kangaxx and the demilich in Watchers Keep. They are that hard to kill withou the scrolls.

Eudaemonium
    karnor00 said:

SionIV said:

Actually from P&P game, the mace of disruption was specifically listed as being able to harm a demilich as an exception to the normal requirements.

But otherwise I agree that, without cheesing using scrolls of Magic or Undead protection, Kangaxx is very difficult to kill. In fact when I play with SCS installed, I specifically save the two Magic Protection scrolls in the game for Kangaxx and the demilich in Watchers Keep. They are that hard to kill withou the scrolls.

I didn't know about the MoD from the P&P part, you learn something new every day! :)

And i play with randomized loot most of the time, i'm not touching kangaxx with most characters until i find those scrolls. Sometimes i have to give up taking him on in my No-reload games if i don't get a scroll before ToB.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    Bhaaldog said:

Delvarian said:

Oh gotcha, I do have trouble fighting him as I suck against magic users.

He is quite easy in vanilla with the right tactics, but when you play the game for the first time there is no way of knowing that a) he imprisons everyone b) he transforms
    If I remember correctly, the first time I beat a lich, I stole "Daystar", ran out of his area multiple times to evade his spells and to wait till his buffs were gone. Then I would run in with "Daystar" and swung for the fences.

:)
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I have to give it to Sarevok or Alec'Letec. To this day, I've never beaten my big bro and his gang of loyal minions or that fiendish sonuvabitch in a single try. Demogorgon? Irenicus? No problem. Sarevok + Semaj? BY THE GODS, RUN!
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199

I have to give it to Sarevok or Alec'Letec. To this day, I've never beaten my big bro and his gang of loyal minions or that fiendish sonuvabitch in a single try. Demogorgon? Irenicus? No problem. Sarevok + Semaj? BY THE GODS, RUN!

Are you talking vanilla or SCS or another mod? If so, what difficulty?

I actually managed to take them both down first time on my latest playthrough. I got very lucky.
    [Deleted User]
  • LapaLapa Member Posts: 73
    Kangaxx was nearly impossible when I had my first playthrough in bg2. After reading some strategy guides it was easy because of all cheese tactics. But for new players I'd say kangaxx and demogorgon.
    Oddly, I always remember having more trouble with Mellisan than with Demogorgon on my first ToB playthrough. And I didn't even find Kangaxx (or Aec'letec in BG1).
    [Deleted User]
  • drakescar9drakescar9 Member Posts: 65
    i kept losing to the lich due to one spell imprison on my assassin NO BLOCKING THAT FOR AN ASSASSIN!!!
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552

Oddly, I always remember having more trouble with Mellisan than with Demogorgon on my first ToB playthrough.

I had the same, but that was due to her being stuck in the first battle encounter cause of a bug ;)

Are you talking vanilla or SCS or another mod? If so, what difficulty?

I actually managed to take them both down first time on my latest playthrough. I got very lucky.

Vanilla. I've never done an SCS run, but I plan to try after I finish my next Dragon Age II run. Grats on your vitory, but I always forget about the traps, or one of Semaj's spells manages to get through. Something always goes wrong when I fight Sarevok.
    Eudaemonium
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

i kept losing to the lich due to one spell imprison on my assassin NO BLOCKING THAT FOR AN ASSASSIN!!!

Would Protection from Undead work?

How about use any item + mage scroll protection from abjuration (I think abj for imprisonment no?)

edited March 2013

How about use any item + mage scroll protection from abjuration (I think abj for imprisonment no?)

Protection from undead works on liches, just don't use it when you fight kangaxx before his demi-lich form appear. If you do use it before, you won't be able to talk to him and he can't transform, and then you won't be able to kill him and he won't drop anything.

You can also use protection from magic (These are rare though).

And if you get use any item you can use a scroll of spell Immunity and then pick Abjuration.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

Protection from Magic and Protection from Undead scrolls both work.

In SCS, they still work but the enemy is much smarter about not simply standing there while you beat him to death. The lich will summon Mordy Swords which will attack you and target AoE spells on them if you use a Protection from Undead scroll, etc.
    SionIVEudaemonium
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Aec'Letec is very difficult and easily the most infuriating as it seems to be based purely in chance. (Did your mages equipped with Dispel Magic roll their Saving Throw? No? TIME TO RELOAD!) Also it seems to have gotten harder in BG:EE, is it just me or did they make Monster Summoning spells pretty shitty? Not only did all my Monster Summoning spells summon one critter every time, the damn demon didn't even target a single one of them once.

Hm. Okay I'm going to do an unpopular opinion here. Hardest boss I ever faced in any game set in the realms was Yxunomei.
    ...In vanilla Icewind Dale, of course.
    I mean if I had trouble beating her with HoW installed that would just be sad.
    I mean, HoW just freaking NERFED her.
    But my gosh I remember how tough that fight was on vanilla.

I see you have learned from the last time you said this and people jumped your shit. >_>

Yes, she was quite difficult on vanilla IWD. (Which, as a Mac user, is still the only thing I have, hah!) Somehow though it was difficult without being overly frustrating if I recall correctly. I was pretty happy when I beat her.

after I finish my next Dragon Age II run.

I approve of this statement. That game needs more love, unpolished, half-shattered diamond that it is.

I got really lucky with the Sarevok fight on my latest playthrough. I somehow remembered where all the traps were (didn't trigger any of them), and Semaj went down within about 10 seconds, barely just after teleporting (must've got lucky). I actually had trouble keeping Sarevok *alive* while I took out his compadres so that he and my Charname could have a death duel.

And I was super lucky with Aec'Letec: he didn't once use his death gaze.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232

I approve of this statement. That game needs more love, unpolished, half-shattered diamond that it is.

I disapprove of this statement. The game reused maps repeatedly, had very little choice in character creation (compared to DA1) and had a story that changed not at all depending on player choice. (I played through various times)
    The NPCs were ok, but way too easy to start relationships with. "I like you Anders, but please put your pants back on."
    In my opinion the game deserves every piece of bad press it gets.
    Flashburn
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Delvarian said:

I disapprove of this statement. The game reused maps repeatedly, had very little choice in character creation (compared to DA1) and had a story that changed not at all depending on player choice. (I played through various times)
    The NPCs were ok, but way too easy to start relationships with. "I like you Anders, but please put your pants back on."
    Eh. Dragon Effect II isn't that horrible based on how you think of it; it's a fairly good action-RPG, but it's a fairly horrible Dragon Age.
    Delvarian said:

Reused maps. Well, yeah, you go to the same places over the course of like ten years. New bad guys move in to old lairs. The city isn't going to magically morph into a new shape over night. Also, a well-designed city is going to have a lot of symmetry in its floor plans, because that's more efficient than making every single building unique.

Little choice in character creation? Other than the fact that you can't be a dwarf or elf, I don't see the problem. It would make no sense for Hawke to be either of those races.

NPC relationships. Just don't pick the Heart dialogue options.

The game is amazing, and the hate bandwagon was almost as ridiculous as the ME3 hate bandwagon. Almost.
    Eudaemonium
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    As to reusing maps, I don't mean when you go to the same place twice. I mean that almost every cave you enter uses the same map, just cutting off areas you can and can't enter.

My main problem is that when you make a sequel you should attempt to top the first game. I find DA2 to be a step back, it does nothing in my opinion better than the first game, and most things worse, such as not being able to play a dwarf or elf.

For the record I also didn't enjoy ME3. (And i never even finished it) So guess I'm on that bandwagon as well. However if you enjoy these games, please continue to do so. Ignore my complaints and have a good time.

On topic that demon in Ulgoths beard whipes my party all the time. I usually don't even try fighting him.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I think Kangaxx initially gave me more trouble than any other BG enemy, and probably more trouble than any other enemy in any other FR game. Of course he's not too hard once you understand his weaknesses and know how to do him in, but I remember numerous reloads and a fair amount of frustration when I was a noobie.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Aristillius
    tilly said:

Aec'Letec -_- *shudders*

Are there other enemies in the series who use death gaze?

In BG2, fights don't seem as hard because your party as many more abilities to use.
    ... But I still lock demogorgon up instead of fighting. Scarey prince! n.n'

I don't understand why people found Aec'Letec hard. Use potions of mirroring and his gaze doesn't work.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    DelvarianAristillius
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    tilly said:

I know not everyone roleplays, but... how is a low level group of adventurers supposed to know about the demon's death gaze before the battle starts?

Technically, level 7-9 is already pretty high-level in 2nd edition.