Skip to content

[Bug] If Tracea Carol is killed too fast, Aec'Letec fails to appear

Observed behaviour: on entering the Aec'Letec cult's basement, Tracea Carol and her minions were already hostile and she was already within melee range, so I just charged straight into combat, expecting to see combat interrupted (as usual) by Tracea Carol's dialogue which concludes with the summoning of Aec'Letec. However, I got a lucky strike and killed her so fast (a fraction of a second) that she was already dead before she had time to speak, and I then completed the fight with her minions. Aec'Letec never appeared, but the Soultaker wasn't on Tracea Carol's corpse, so then I was stuck with no way to complete Hurgan's quest.

Expected behaviour: Tracea Carol shouldn't die until after she has made her speech and summoned the demon.

Commentary: this is clearly rare, I haven't previously heard of anyone killing her so fast that she had no time for her dialogue to trigger, I didn't know it could be done. Since I've played before, I knew this wasn't the intended outcome, so I reloaded from a save made (fortunately) just before storming the basement, and the next time she didn't die so fast and had time to speak and summon as normal, enabling the quest to be completed. HOWEVER, there was nothing in what happened (the first time) which would have given a new player any obvious clue that it was meant to happen some other way, so a newbie could be left scratching his head at an insoluble (and fairly major) quest with no idea where he had gone wrong, when it fact it was the game which had gone wrong.

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Bump. This problem isn't as rare as I originally thought.

On getting to the same point in my next run, the same thing happened: attack Tracea Carol because she's immediately hostile, and she dies so fast that she never triggers her dialogue and summons the demon, thereby breaking the quest. This is bound to be confusing for newbies who don't know that something else is meant to happen if you wait a second or two before attacking her.

Also, I now see that a couple of other people have mentioned the same issue in other threads, so it's not just me who is killing her too fast.

Suggestion: make Tracea Carol and her minions initially non-hostile, thereby alerting players to the fact that there's meant to be a dialogue before the battle. Then have them all turn hostile when the demon appears, of course.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Redmined. Thanks for reporting this.
    Could you gently post the link of those threads that describe this issue, please? I need to merge them.
    Mostly unsuitable for merge, so far as I recall - passing comments in other contexts. But I'll have a look and see if I can find them again.
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    I can confirm I've had this problem.
  • NyxlNyxl Member Posts: 34

Suggestion: make Tracea Carol and her minions initially non-hostile, thereby alerting players to the fact that there's meant to be a dialogue before the battle. Then have them all turn hostile when the demon appears, of course.

Mmh... I am not convinced it would solve the issue here. I tend to get most annoyed at those cultists, and when I reach that point d'orgue, it happens that I simply charge in there, all ablaze, and kill the crazy woman before she has a chance to taunt anybody. Then I rage a moment, then I reload. As it has never been a blocking issue (as the crash when killing the tanar'ri was, after that bit), I never paid it much attention.

I think, a more fitting solution would be to have the demon acknowledge the murder of his priestess before she could talk.

"So, you killed her? Good, I never liked her anyway. Ah, by the way, you come too late, since obviously I am summoned again, etc."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Nyxl said:

I tend to get most annoyed at those cultists, and when I reach that point d'orgue, it happens that I simply charge in there, all ablaze, and kill the crazy woman before she has a chance to taunt anybody. Then I rage a moment, then I reload.

Well okay, maybe it's not a perfect solution, but as an experienced player you know what's supposed to have happened, so you know to reload.

If Tracea Carol and her minions started blue instead of red, then at least a newbie would have some chance to realise "maybe I'm meant to talk to them". As it currently is, he might never figure out why he can't finish the quest.
    An alternative suggestion: if you kill Tracea Carol before the dialogue and summoning, then she should drop the Soultaker dagger. That way you could complete Hurgan's quest without ever needing to kill the demon, and some players might prefer to RP it that way instead of facing the demon for the XP.

However, I think it makes it a little too easy if you can finish without facing the demon, so I prefer my original suggestion.
  • NyxlNyxl Member Posts: 34

An alternative suggestion: if you kill Tracea Carol before the dialogue and summoning, then she should drop the Soultaker dagger. That way you could complete Hurgan's quest without ever needing to kill the demon, and some players might prefer to RP it that way instead of facing the demon for the XP.

I agree : it might even be considered a greater success, since you prevented the summoning of the demon. Of course, it's not a high feat compared to the actual slaying of a tanar'ri. But a greater success, in my opinion.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @Gallowglass
    Try to avoid double posts, please. There is a small wheel at the right side of you post. You can edit messages by left-cliking on it. Thanks.
    As you wish, @Aedan. But I was making a new and separate point in my second post, whereas the first had been a reply to someone else, so I thought a separate post was more appropriate. However, if that's not the preferred house style, I'll bear that in mind henceforth.
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    This could be related to my report too. I encountered a similar bug with Silke and Garrick. Avenger_teambg hinted that this happens if you kill Silke too fast.
    Please check: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/9931/bgee-multiplayer-silke-and-garrick-quest-broken-garrick-has-nothing-to-say-no-reward#latest
    Thanks.
  • hwlrmnkyhwlrmnky Member Posts: 5
    I just had the exact same problem as the OP. I took her down too fast (hasted archer, paladin and Dorn) and no monster. Since I will max out on xp before endgame I'm pressing on anyway. Real bug though, however you choose to fix it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.