Skip to content

Game Update 1.0.2014

Comments

• islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    edited March 2013
    To be honest, I'm really surprised to see there're still SO MANY BUGS in this "Enhanced Edition" that need to be fixed
    To make things interesting, More Bugs will come after the previous "Fix" , isn't that funny? The original BG has been out for roughly 15 years now, shouldn't they at least bring a bug-free BG at the FIRST place to call it "Enhanced Edition"?
    Players Should NEVER be Beta Testers in any circumstance
  • AntignitionAntignition Member Posts: 23
    That would be all well and good if they weren't introducing glaring bugs with each patch they make. As well as making questionable "fixes" (I'm looking at you upscaled inventory font). The new kits were a mess, the new NPC had some issues. People weren't "waiting" for these things like they were waiting for bug fixes, it was obvious there were real problems with the shadowdancer, but they put the broken kit in regardless.

Sorry, there is no excuse for that.

The game has been out for months now and yet twice I have had one of their new NPC's disappear from where they are supposed to go if you want to recruit them later. I have had Kagain randomly regenerate from 10hp to full health (60hp) in an instant with no travelling in between, I have had Montaron and Xzar randomly up and leave my group. These things were not broken in any previous version of the game.

I certainly hope they refine their process for fixing their work with BG2EE, I know I certainly won't be lining up for a day one purchase.
  • RnRClownRnRClown Member Posts: 182

The game has been out for months now and yet twice I have had one of their new NPC's disappear from where they are supposed to go if you want to recruit them later.

This is one of the hiccups (I get tired of saying "bugs") that is to be expected. It doesn't make it okay, but it is understandable. Putting new NPC's into an existing game world that has never been stable at the best of times. Unfortunate, but not surprising.

When implemented as it should be, it is better than NPC's leaving forever which would be easier to incorporate.

I have had Kagain randomly regenerate from 10hp to full health (60hp) in an instant with no travelling in between.

This hinders your playing through the game how? Yes, it should not be happening. No, it is not stopping nor hindering your progress. If you were to tell me it was Kagain losing health randomly, well, then we'd of had a real problem.

I have had Montaron and Xzar randomly up and leave my group.

Perhaps it was more akin to their trigger failing to show up in the dialogue. Let's choose from either their reputation trigger, their quest timer trigger, or their dislike of Jaheira and Khalid trigger. Again, it shouldn't happen, but let's not stoop to exaggeration in a bid to aid our own arguments. Then again, I'm sure none of those circumstances were viable in this instance and it was completely random.

These things were not broken in any previous version of the game.

Perhaps not. Perhaps so and you never encountered them before.

What about Coran leaving without saying a word in Tutu and vanilla. What about Coran leaving with a "goodbye" totally out of the blue in Tutu and vanilla. Quest completed. Supposed fix applied. Still he scarpered. What about a dying Wyvern crashing the game on a system powerful enough for Crysis 2. What about screwed up monster spawning. What about jagged fog of war. What about the inability to toggle 32 bit colour. What about save files corrupting for no apparent reason.

Point is some people had it better before the Enhanced Edition, while some folks had it worse prior to the Enhanced Edition. It's the nature of PC Gaming to be a balls up for somebody at any given moment. I understand folks become frustrated when they're unable to play a game because of a fault - BG:EE with its hardware problems, or SimCity with it's DRM/always online/servers/terrible launch - but the folks who throw criticism over minor details that can be worked around temporarily on perhaps the most difficult platform to develop for (everyone has different hardware, different software and different driver versions). Give it a little more thought.
  • AntignitionAntignition Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2013
    I don't partake in the whole post dissection bit. I completely disagree with you on what is acceptable and not acceptable (Kagain gaining or losing health is just as bad to me) and do in fact find Tutu/BGT to be much more stable on all accounts. They are also free fan modifications to the existing game, so a direct comparison to a commercial, professional product isn't even remotely fair. A hiccup occuring every playthrough so far that has been in the game since day 1 is not to be expected (to me) 4 months and countless patches later.

All of this I could stand in mild disappointment if the **patches didn't continually cause significant new "hiccups".**

I understand it is a new company getting still learning how to "walk" and I"m sure eventually most of these problems will be fixed. I find the overall apologetic tone on this forum, however, where every mistake is met with a pat on the back and an "It's OK you'll get it next time! It wasn't that big of a deal anyway!" is absurd.

I will nag on a minor point though:
    RNRClown said:

Perhaps it was more akin to their trigger failing to show up in the dialogue. Let's choose from either their reputation trigger, their quest timer trigger, or their dislike of Jaheira and Khalid trigger. Again, it shouldn't happen, but let's not stoop to exaggeration in a bid to aid our own arguments. Then again, I'm sure none of those circumstances were viable in this instance and it was completely random.

I assume this is a thinly veiled attempt at sarcasm but I feel the need to point out that no, in fact, none of those circumstances were viable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jamoecwjamoecw Member Posts: 41
    well all of the problems mentioned i think could be traced back to the reworking of the under the hood stuff. which in essence is remaking a game from near scratch, which less people. the bugs are understandable due to those circumstances, but so is the disappointment from the presence of such bugs. those that understand the what and why are going to be far more forgiving than those that don't, just look at some of the early comments on the game on steam, by and large negative, mainly due to the ignorance of the what and why. i have given you the gist of the what: redoing the engine of bg, which is pretty no small undertaking, and i don't think the staff working on it are as robust as we are accustomed to today, not to mention that most companies don't even make their own engine, they just rehash an existing one.

the why is so that all of the roadblocks that modders have had will be gone for the future, allowing the modding community to continue to bring fresh material to the bg world, and enhance the experience long after beamdog has stopped working on it, possibly adding another decade of life to the game.
  • zenblackzenblack Member Posts: 100
    Yes, feel grateful that most of the work was done by modders and they are sluggish about releasing working patches.
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478

To be honest, I'm really surprised to see there're still SO MANY BUGS in this "Enhanced Edition" that need to be fixed
    To make things interesting, More Bugs will come after the previous "Fix" , isn't that funny? The original BG has been out for roughly 15 years now, shouldn't they at least bring a bug-free BG at the FIRST place to call it "Enhanced Edition"?

Agree. I stopped playing this Fail Edition 3 times in a row now. It is sad what they've done to this awesome game. Still waiting for fixing multiplayer: the game is still freezing if you catch a sunset / sunrise, because of missing movies. Still waiting for many bugfixes I reported. There was 400 bugs if we agree to the early reports, but now are thousands.

I stopped playing this in Durlag's Tower because many things are not working there and many magic items are missing.
  • jamoecwjamoecw Member Posts: 41
    edited April 2013
    zenblack said:

Yes, feel grateful that most of the work was done by modders and they are sluggish about releasing working patches.

or perhaps one could be grateful that they are catering towards the future and not the present, and give the modding community time to learn the changes before making new changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WlBiLNN1NhQ
  • zenblackzenblack Member Posts: 100
    jamoecw said:

zenblack said:

or perhaps one could be grateful that they are catering towards the future and not the present, and give the modding community time to learn the changes before making new changes.
    That's so backwards it's hilarious.

• SixheadeddogSixheadeddog Member Posts: 197
    Sese79 said:

Agree. I stopped playing this Fail Edition 3 times in a row now. It is sad what they've done to this awesome game. Still waiting for fixing multiplayer: the game is still freezing if you catch a sunset / sunrise, because of missing movies. Still waiting for many bugfixes I reported. There was 400 bugs if we agree to the early reports, but now are thousands.

I stopped playing this in Durlag's Tower because many things are not working there and many magic items are missing.
    It's absolutely astonishing to me how much ridiculous, whiny QQ is coming out of this forum the last few days. Where's my "intensely disagree" button? BGEE is a phenomenal little bit of retro gaming which, for me anyway, has run since I picked it up with little to no fuss. And where there is fuss, I'm not going to throw a bitch-fit, urinate all over everything then waddle home crying with my pants around my ankles. Which, in my head, is what I imagine certain posters on this board doing when they declare that they've stopped playing BGEE "3 times in a row."

To end on a positive note: keep up the good work! I am loving every minute of re-experiencing one of the greatest PC RPGs of all time.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Sese79 said:

many things are not working there and many magic items are missing.

What magic items are missing?
  • NoozieNoozie Member Posts: 21
    Kilivitz said:

Sese79 said:

many things are not working there and many magic items are missing.

What magic items are missing?
    my precious!!!
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    Yep, I had to stop playing this game three times in a row, because I follow the bug reports here, and check what new errors are found, and if I found errors that are disturbing for the gameplay I just stop and wait until it is corrected. I stopped at the first spawn bug: only the 1/3 of the monsters spawned on the maps, not too much fun. Then I had to stop play this because we had freezing because of missing movies all the time in multiplayer game. Now I stay in Durlag's Tower and wait until the plethora of bugs are corrected.

Yep, it is easier to ridicule someone instead of checking the bug topics instead.

This edition has more bugs as the vanilla had, this edition has terrible movies and the missing ones are still causing game freeze, and so on. This after many months of the release what is really just a paid open beta test now. Please check my other topics too or just check the bug section.
  • AaezilAaezil Member Posts: 178
    Too much QQ is right! Don't worry, be happy!
    edited April 2013
    I, also, have experienced almost no bugs. The one thing that even comes close was an unexpected quit, but that was before the most recent patch. And since the patch, it has been nothing but win.

Oh. Well. Maybe *one* other thing... I ran afoul of the basilisks on the top of one of Durlag's Tower's turrets, and to spare me a run back to a town to buy a Stone to Flesh scroll, I tried to spawn one and found that the item code was different from the BG2 item list. And, for whatever reason, I could not find the right code for the scroll anywhere online. But that's not really a bug, so much as it was me being lazy.

Speaking of lazy! (or, maybe, the opposite of lazy) All this ire directed at a game strikes me as being way more effort than it's worth. I'm just saying.
    edited April 2013
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447

Oh. Well. Maybe *one* other thing... I ran afoul of the basilisks on the top of one of Durlag's Tower's turrets, and to spare me a run back to a town to buy a Stone to Flesh scroll, I tried to spawn one and found that the item code was different from the BG2 item list. And, for whatever reason, I could not find the right code for the scroll anywhere online. But that's not really a bug, so much as it was me being lazy.

I usually open up Near Infinity when I need to quickly reference an item or creature. There's a search feature that lets you locate specific items, creatures, or spells by name. Very useful tool.
    Aosaw said:

I usually open up Near Infinity when I need to quickly reference an item or creature. There's a search feature that lets you locate specific items, creatures, or spells by name. Very useful tool.
    ... It completely hadn't occured to me that all of the tools I used to use with the original games would still work with the EE. Duhr.
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    Bhaaldog said:

@Sixheadeddog Dogs must stand united!

Hail to the Dogs! :D
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    RnRClown said:

What about a dying Wyvern crashing the game on a system powerful enough for Crysis 2.

I'm just addressing this one now:
    1. this bug is present in ALL game versions
    2. it is now fixed in BGEE
    3. it has nothing to do with system performance, though it has to do with specific graphics cards apparently
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited April 2013
    Sese79 said:
    I tested one of these, i didn't see any problem. Have you experienced any of these?

I think the 'missing items' would be missing description icons for some items.
    Yeah, it is totally gamebreaking you don't see a sketch of a shield on the description screen for 2-3 items.
  • HumizHumiz Member Posts: 8
    Ok, when I used EEKeeper to see what items are in the Bags of holding, many items are there but not the
    descriptions e.t.c. If I try to move such item from the bag to inventory the item can't be removed.

Humiz
This discussion has been closed.