Skip to content

Do you use the Cursed Berserking +3 Two Handed Sword?

2»

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

LOL. I think I have to try this now. I will make a Half-Orc Killing machine, I mean Fighter. Chaotic Evil just so he doesn't regret his actions. Have him focus on two handed sword and then see what happens. I'd bet he dies a bunch of times but I am going to see how far I can get and how long I can survive. I get that it is going to be REALLY hard and probably REALLY boneheaded. But I really gotta try now.

It could be fun as you see to see how far you can go but as I mentioned I can't imagine you making it all. the. way.

:)

(because there's room's you have to fight while surrounded by critical NPCs for example if belt and the other duke die while the dopplegangers and sarevok are there, it's game over man), there may be a few other autodeath things as well...)
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    I find that casting command also helps to override the berserk state.
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    Take the sword, equip it and kill all sirens, despite being charmed. The sword is great but hard to control.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I think the tough part would be playing a solo Fighter and actually being able to survive against Berge in order to get the sword in the first place. He hits accurately and HARD.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    You don't have to fight him...you can talk him down and the priest that removes it will give you the sword. I've used it for both solo and party runs, without much issue. Just need to keep the character wielding it back in delicate situations. As long as there are no enemies within their LOS, they won't go berserk. Keeps things interesting, much like playing a wild mage, and it removes an element of control, that someone whose played through the game in every possible situation can make things challenging again.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2013

You don't have to fight him...you can talk him down and the priest that removes it will give you the sword. I've used it for both solo and party runs, without much issue. Just need to keep the character wielding it back in delicate situations. As long as there are no enemies within their LOS, they won't go berserk. Keeps things interesting, much like playing a wild mage, and it removes an element of control, that someone whose played through the game in every possible situation can make things challenging again.

True though I think his bounty and the experience makes killing him the preferable option (unless you are taking a principle stand because of your alignment, etc).
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Not in the slightest bit worth it. Especially for a solo playthrough, since a solo fighter should be lvl 7 before you even get down to where Brage is, and by that point, you've already purchased every item you'll ever need to buy...the rest are found in chests, from quests, or from kills.
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    The only + 3 berserker sword worth my use is Lilarcor.

"Yonk. Got your nose!"
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    no why would you
  • Alistar2013Alistar2013 Member Posts: 44
    Mincs already has berserk. It would not be a good idea to use the sword due to the loss of control of a heavy hitter like Mincs. That being said, I use the ring of free action + his berserk to kill sirens, but I send him in solo with the best armor and hope for the best and when they finish casting their spells I send in everyone else.
  • HafirHafir Member Posts: 97
    Never, like other cursed items.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited May 2021
    This one and Kiel's Morning Star are pretty good out in the wilderness areas (the semi-zerk fades if there are no hostiles, even if the wielder is targeting party members). Not so much in cities and towns.

It's too bad the semi-zerk state doesn't come with traditional berserk immunities.

The other cursed +3 weapon in BG1 that I know of is Backbiter, and that's a good one too (even if it is a spear) since all it does is backlash damage. Well worth it if it's all you have for Big Red up in Ulgoth's Beard.
    Not in the slightest bit worth it. Especially for a solo playthrough, since a solo fighter should be lvl 7 before you even get down to where Brage is, and by that point, you've already purchased every item you'll ever need to buy...the rest are found in chests, from quests, or from kills.

You and I take very different approaches to the early game, then - I prefer swinging around to Brage before going for the mines exactly so that I have this +3 sword as an option, and it has been literal years since I've been better than level 2 before getting to him (I don't mess with the Dig Site on the first pass since I use the routing as a bypass for the Beregost/Nashkel main road, though I probably could do the "heroic" version of the Dig Site quest at levels 1/2 since you're fighting 1 HD laborers).