Skip to content

Dual Class Fighter/Mage Build Help

I'm doing a dual class fighter/mage build as a first timer. I am planning to play with this character through all the Baldur games, but I would prefer not gimping my character now, to have a more powerful one in the future. I would like, for example, to have access to all the spells at the end of the first game.

Currently, I was thinking of dual classing at lvl 7 from fighter to mage.

Weapon proficiencies I would pick are two weapon style and as much pips as I can into Longswords.
When I'm a mage, I'd pick daggers as a proficiency.

Any suggestions about the above? Would I be better of dual classing later? Picking other proficiencies?

Comments

• harvman11harvman11 Member Posts: 33
    If you don't want to be gimped at any point, I would personally suggest going the multi-class route instead of dual class. With just about any dual class (except if you do a really low level, like 3 or maybe 5), there's just too much "well, I have to hang out in the back and just not die" while waiting to get the rest of your skills back, at least for my tastes. Dual classing is also a more advanced option, so if you do decide to go with it, make sure you have the required stats, etc.
    secretmantra
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Just remember you need 15 strength and 17 intelligence at a minimum to dual class into a mage from a fighter. You also you need to be a human.

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I agree with @harvman11 and endorse this message. Multi is better than Dualing in general.

Kensai -> Mage however is supposed to be pretty good I've heard. Again, you will end up gimped for long periods as the definition of dual classing. I don't think the benefits are every worth it.

I played a ranger and dualed to cleric and I know when I get to the HLAs I'm going to miss whirlwind, greater whirlwind and the fighter HLAs. I should have gone multi.
  • KalendenKalenden Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the feedback.

I would really prefer to dualing, instead of multi.
    I don't mind to be gimped for some time, I just meant that I don't want to build the character solely for the sequel. For example, I've read that dualling at level 13 is much better, although you'll only reap the benefits in the sequel. That is a tad excessive, I want a character that can go to the sequel but can still fully enjoy the first game.

So, my first questions are still relevant. I'll remember the minimum stats, thanks!
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    dual at level 3 then (for the extra weapon proficiency) or level 6 (for another weapon prof pip) if you want to leave it really late. if you wait till level 7 not only will it take a loooooong while to regain your fighter ability, but you'll be at the sharp end of the game as a low level mage, not really contributing to the team.

plus as a lvl7 fighter dual you'll only reach lvl8 mage and not be able to cast the 5th level spells (lvl9 mage)

lvl5 is the latest you can dual and still achieve lvl9 mage in BG:EE

so in summary i'd suggest dualling lvl3 (from a berserker)

atcDave
    Okay, thanks. Will do!

Any suggestions for the proficiencies?
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    I'd go with two pips in short bow and two in quarter staff. At third level, another pip in short bow.

That way your mage can stand back and cast spells or be deadly with a bow. The quarter staff is for when someone closes with you.
  • Flame_ExcessFlame_Excess Member Posts: 26
    Very easy: build your character in 2 games.
    Game 1: Fighter until you're satisfied or end the game.
    Game 2: Dual. Then start everything over.
    CaptRoryRAM021Anton
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    atcDave said:

I'd go with two pips in short bow and two in quarter staff. At third level, another pip in short bow.

That way your mage can stand back and cast spells or be deadly with a bow. The quarter staff is for when someone closes with you.

plus there are some absolutely awesome staves in bg2

I definitely prefer dualing to multi-classing, especially from fighter, because of the ability to attain grandmastery. If you absolutely have your heart set on playing both fighter and mage in bg1, then I strongly recommend dualing at level 7 for the extra attack. You may not get all the spells of a ninth level mage, but that extra 1/2 attack per round pays off.

If you don't dual at level 7, then the other best options are 6, for the extra weapon proficiency, or 3rd, for the extra proficiency. However, dualing at 3 is difficult because the majority of your hitpoints will be from your mage class. And at level 6, you might as well go all the way for that extra attack.

I had a fighter-dualed to cleric at fighter9, because of the maxed out hitpoints you gain at level 9, and because of the extra proficiency point. Dualing at 13 would be good, because you get another 1/2 attack (and a proficiency point at level 12), but I couldn't wait that long.

Here's a really good progression chart that I used when I decided to dual.

http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Progression_Charts#Fighters_and_Barbarians

It's true that multi-classing is much easier. But when you dual, you don't have an extra class bogging down all that XP when, at the end of the game, all you're looking for is that next level for powerful spells.
    Tsyrithuglyducklynn[Deleted User]lolien
    Thanks for all the advice, I have a clear idea how I want to progress now.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    @Kalenden keep in mind if you do go through the saga, that you will not be able to get HLAs from an original class (fighter). For me anyway, that's another strong thing for multis. More HLAs and more to pick from.