Skip to content

Environment sound bug in AR800 (Baldur's Gate City Gates)

absolutelynotabsolutelynot Member Posts: 1
edited April 2013 in Fixed
I just entered Baldur's Gate for the first time, and I was immediatly greeted by this weird sound that repeat itself over and over and over : https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1732995/bgee_soundglitch.mp3
All the other areas of the city are fine, only the entrance has this weird sound. Disabling the ambient sounds make it go away.
I made a quick search on the forum but couldn't find any mention of that bug.
I started this playthrough on Ipad and now I'm playing on a late 2011 Macbook pro (10.7.5).
Post edited by Aedan on
BelgarathMTH

Comments

• EudaemoniaEudaemonia Member Posts: 16
    edited February 2013
    If that is the sword spider sound, I heard it frequently in the sorcerous sundries/ elf song area map in BG - extremely annoying, but only sometimes. I am also on the OS X version.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    edited February 2013
    Just entered BG city for the first time in BGEE and there is some kind of noise going on whenever I am "outside" - if I enter a store it goes away so I'm assuming at the moment that its a new "feature" of some sort - sounds sort of like some sort of machinery operating but it's got a very "white noise kind of sound" that is quite irritating.

I just entered and have only got as far as sorcerous sundries - my question is only whether or not this is something that will soon become clear to me or am I experiencing some sort of bug.

If it's a feature of some sort don't post any unhidden spoilers please just tell me it's not a bug...

(and hopefully tell me I will discover a way to stop it reasonably soon (other than turning the sound off in the options menu))
    Post edited by Wanderon on
    BelgarathMTH
  • krimsenkrimsen Member Posts: 2
    you didn't know there was a construction site in that part of town?
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I've been noticing this too, and it's only been happening as of the recent patch. There's no machinery going on outside and it's REALLY irritating. I try to avoid BG East if possible.
    BelgarathMTHlolien
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Same here, if it's supposed to be a machine, it's a broken one. It's a mix of watersplash and TV static.
    BelgarathMTH
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    I wonder if anyone has reported it yet?
    Not seeing it in BG:EE Bugs. Maybe a mod can just move it there?
  • AzofixAzofix Member Posts: 8
    I hear that sound aswell but running XP on a PC. This is my second run with BG:EE, can't remember I heard that sound before the last patch. Only in eastern Baldur's Gate area 0800.
  • absolutelynotabsolutelynot Member Posts: 1
    @Azofix @Eudaemonia Yes, that's the area, and only during the day in my case.
    Since nobody has mentioned that bug before I figured it could be Mac specific, but others are having that problem http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16632/noises-upon-entering-bg-city-feature-or-bug#latest
    I'm on Win 7. I reported the bug now, linking here. It's very annoying.
  • AlexTAlexT Member Posts: 760
    I believe that we have identified the root cause behind this issue. A fix is in the works.

However, due to the nature of the game engine, the fix will not be retroactive. I.e. if you have already visited AR0800 it won't work for your current playthrough. It will apply when you start a new game though.
    AedanMetallomanSophia
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Thanks for the action, @aVENGER. Damn shame that it can't be made retroactive, though - it's a very loud and annoying sound, it's making BG East really unpleasant to enter. Fortunately it doesn't always happen.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Well, i got an problem with the environment sound in baldur's gate city gates district (AR0800), the environment sound of that area is damaged so there's only static to be heard there.

Attached is my Chitin.key file along my AR0800.bif and a copy of my current game to evaluation.

Obs: Chitin and AR0800 extension files renamed to .txt due to problems in upload .key and .bif files with the forum mechanics (whitch i start to think that's maybe it's intentional).

Maybe the sound file linked to the area will be needed to a further evaluation, but as i don't know which one is the correct sound file for AR0800 environment sound, i would apreciate if someone can be kind enough to point it to me.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited April 2013
    @kamuizin
    This bug has already been reported. I merged the two threads and I edited the title (your sentence is more clear than the previous one). I invite you to read aVENGER post in this conversation, since it explains the reason of the issue and how the upcoming fix will work.
    Anyway, thanks for the detailed report :)
    Post edited by Aedan on
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Sometimes in the game I hear somebody yelling: "Wahlberg... Mark Wahlberg"
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Obs: Only the day song of that area is glitched, during the night the sound work normally.
    Aedan
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    I'm not sure about what this is, or if it really is a bug, but I don't recall I have ever heard this. It goes continously when I enter BG west (although only for 1 day ingame time so far). It sound a bit like the seagulls but far more screachier, also a bit like metal gears crunching... It's really annoying and it does not stop.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Sounds familiar...
    Aedan
    Update: It disappeared during night, came back in the day. Sound seems connected to the background's audio, since it stops if I enter the options, inventory and other such pages.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    You sure this is BG West and not BG East? The "machinery" sound in BG East should be gone in the next patch.
    Senash
    edited April 2013
    @Jalily Good God! Yes, it is indeed East BG. Funnily enough, when I use Gamebanshee, I always go to the the BG part I'm looking for, don't usually make this mistake, but when my friends do I tell them off most of the time. Well, here's karma for me :)
    Good to here they are fixing the issue. Thanks! ;)
    edited April 2013
    Tresset said:

Sounds familiar...

Strange. I had the same feeling!

@Senash
    This issue has already been reported. Please, before posting a bug report, read this discussion:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/13071/read-before-posting-list-of-known-bugs-and-issues/p1
    @Aedan Checked but somehow I skipped this, sorry. Will be more thourough next time!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Samus
    Yes, it is THE issue reported and described in this thread. As for the fix, I quote aVENGER:
    aVENGER said:

I believe that we have identified the root cause behind this issue. A fix is in the works.

However, due to the nature of the game engine, the fix will not be retroactive. I.e. if you have already visited AR0800 it won't work for your current playthrough. It will apply when you start a new game though.

Metalloman
    Aedan said:

@Samus
    Yes, it is THE issue reported and described in this thread. As for the fix, I quote aVENGER:

aVENGER said:

I am very grateful I have not gotten to BG yet in any of my playthroughs...
    @Tresset
    I am sure you plan to open another thread about this issue just to force me to merge it XD
    Aedan
    edited April 2013
    @Aedan Not unless you want me too... I actually visit this section with enough frequency that I usually can avoid posting dupe issues.
    edited April 2013
    @Tresset
    You can choose between this issue and the one about Tethoril and the (in)famous scroll.
    Heh. I know you are tempted.
    Tresset
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I just got to Baldur's Gate City for the first time in BG:EE. There is something dreadfully wrong with the soundtrack in the first section of the city - I don't know if it's in the exterior throughout the city, or just in the first quarter where you find Sorcerous Sundries.

It sounds like some kind of huge machinery at a construction site pounding rocks. It is deafening, and louder than music, voices, or ambience. It drowns out everything, and is giving me a headache. I could barely pay attention to the dialogue that Dorn tried to give me when I entered the city, or Elminster's dialogue, because of the deafening cacophony of noise.

What is going on here? I may or may not be able to tolerate playing BG:EE any more if this isn't fixed.