Skip to content

Enhanced Edition characters and content

TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
We've had some questions regarding the new story content for the Enhanced Edition. I thought I'd write up a little post, explaining our thinking around the structure.

We had a few high level goals with our new content:
1) Don't change the original story, curate don't re-invent.
2) Don't break the critical path
3) Give the new content a context within the story which allows us to fit it into the world.
4) The new content must be optional (supports point 1)

With these goals in mind we set out to craft new storylines which could integrate with the game without breaking the original plot and we came up with two concepts: Expansions and Characters.
Expansions would either have to be side quests jammed into the existing game (Tales of the Sword Coast) or story events which happen between of following the game (Throne of Bhaal)
We are still planning on going the expansion route, but timeline issues have forced us to push back the expansion planning.
Characters seemed a good solution to us at it would allow us to add new, optional, non-critical path content to the game within the context of some new, interesting NPC characters. We felt the new characters would add to the game and not take anything away and I think we are correct in this. The character structure also allows us to clearly demarcate new content for contractual reasons.
With this organization in our understanding and in our agreements, we will be proceeding with the two forms of new content as we move forward.

Best,
-Trent
ShapiroKeatsDarkMageCalawenatcDaveajwzJamesWanderon[Deleted User]secretmantraBelgarathMTHSCARY_WIZARDCaptRoryEudaemoniumDrugarScooterSeleneHeroicSpurGodKaiserHellDarKelPAristilliusAnduinXzarSophiaGoForTheEyesBoo

Comments

• LoremasterLoremaster Member Posts: 212
    Thanks, the expansion route is preferable to me, even if it demands more work and will thus result in fewer eh... expansions.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    TOB needs expansion or fleshing out at least. Too linear
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Great to see the idea of an expansion still has legs, and that more additional content will fill the gaps the mean time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    KidCarnivalAristilliusSophiaValchist
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    It would be interesting if some of the new story material / new areas could be added without having to take new NPCs into the party. I like Neera, but haven't had much interest in Rasaad or Dorn so far (but would like to experience the new content they give access to).
    BelgarathMTHatcDave
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182
    Thanks for dropping in Trent! We love it when you guys are able to respond to us and guys us direct info on what's going on! Both the expansion and character routes sound good and I'm looking forward to playing both, as I have total faith in the ability of Phil and co in writing quality content, especially if Neera Dorn and Rasaad are anything to go by, the characters and content of all three gave the game more variety in style and personality which I think was a huge plus.
    But does this mean there are no plans for more minor additions, things like adding new strongholds for classes the Blaggard or Monk, making ToB less linear as many people seem to think is necessary (I'm not hugely fussed on this issue but it seems to be a common criticism) or even the potential of adding Overhaul created content to tie up issues the way the unfinished business mod did?
  • harvman11harvman11 Member Posts: 33
    Honestly, if all you guys had done was make BG1 run in the BG2 engine without having to go through and figure out tutu and BGT, I would've been satisfied. The fact that you all have added (and even more impressive to me, continue to add) content is a huge bonus and really makes me feel the series in the hands of people who care about it. All the little things, like bigger stacks, new items, little changes in how NPCs interact, etc. are also very welcome changes.

I've enjoyed the new characters as well as the new content that comes with them, and the black pits is great for multiplayer (though part of me wishes it was tied into the main game somehow), so I'd love to see both more characters and true "expansions". I have to say though I have yet to try out 3 of the 5 new kits, so I hope you don't feel any rush to get new content out. I've probably put 1000 hours into the original trilogy, and I'm certain on the right track to doing the same in the Enhanced Editions!
    CaptRory
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    edited April 2013
    @TrentOster NPCs are an excellent addition to BG1 and BG2. Do you have any plans for adding just plain side quests to Throne of Bhaal section of the series?

That's what most people think is the weakest part of the series, because it's very linear and lacks side quests aside from Watchers Keep. Adding a few quests with their own areas would go a long way to fix this issue.
    Post edited by Bercon on
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited April 2013
    This would be a dream come true for me. ;___;
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    The only problem with expansions, specifically for BG:EE, is the level cap. The entire game is designed around being at a certain level and having certain kinds of equipment by the endgame; as it stands, doing Dorn's and Neera's quests in addition to TotSC allowed me to hit the cap before entering Baldur's Gate (and it was an evil playthrough, meaning I frequently lost out on EXP bonuses for quests). Story-wise, there's certainly room for more, but in terms of gameplay it's not like you can throw in +4 or +5 weapons, or level 6-8 spells, since that would completely unbalance the final battle.

BG2:EE wouldn't have this problem; I don't think it's even possible to hit 8 million XP in a single playthrough, and new weapons are certainly welcome (here's hoping for Rymosrac, Dorn's answer to Keldorn!).
  • LoremasterLoremaster Member Posts: 212
    edited April 2013
    shawne said:

The only problem with expansions, specifically for BG:EE, is the level cap. The entire game is designed around being at a certain level and having certain kinds of equipment by the endgame; as it stands, doing Dorn's and Neera's quests in addition to TotSC allowed me to hit the cap before entering Baldur's Gate (and it was an evil playthrough, meaning I frequently lost out on EXP bonuses for quests). Story-wise, there's certainly room for more, but in terms of gameplay it's not like you can throw in +4 or +5 weapons, or level 6-8 spells, since that would completely unbalance the final battle.

Good point. Added content generate more XP. Two things, first, more contents expand the game and following that, argue for a raised XP cap. Second, more content does not necessarily mean that the XP cap needs to be raised. It just mean that there are more opportunities for adventuring and exploring before CHARNAME and company take on the main enemy.

If one can live with hitting the XP cap in the middle of the game, it’s fine. But, as shawne points out, from a gameplay perspective some things at the end need to be beefed up if more content is added. This, in turn calls for a raised XP cap. I guess chapter one in BG 2 needs to be beefed up too (provided the main character be carried over).
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    works out nicely for me i mostly enjoy the characters, so more characters and more content for them makes me happy
  • ValchistValchist Member Posts: 44
    i love the new npcs and cant wait to have more still hoping for a female warrior for my mage to romance
  • KouTheMadKouTheMad Member Posts: 77
    my biggest question is "Will there be more playable races?" cause thats the big thing for me.