Skip to content

Feature Request: Rogues

smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
edited April 2013 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Inspired this thread, I humbly request that something equivalent to the 3E Rogue class be put into the game. This could be implemented a few different ways such as a Thief Kit or even a separate Rogue class that could allow players to choose to dual and multiclass from.

What's different between a thief and a rogue? 2E Thieves use backstab their class feature to potentially get insane damage on enemies that are not immune to this attack. Rogues use sneak attack to do a little bit better damage on enemies that are not immune to this attack. Backstab must be hidden/invisible and behind a non-immune enemy. Sneak attack just need to attack an enemy from the rear or flank. A further description of sneak attack is below.

Sneak attack already has been implemented as an option in an infinity engine second edition game, Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter description below in spoiler from Planet Baldur's Gate Icewind Dale Backstab & Sneak Attack

Sneak Attack and Crippling Strike were introduced with Heart of Winter:

Sneak Attack: This is an optional ability that you can replace backstab with. When a thief uses Sneak Attack and attacks an enemy from the rear or flank, they can do additional damage but one time only. This additional damage is +1d6 every four levels. At level thirty this would be 8d6. Critical hits do not double damage. The thief does not need to be hidden or moving silently to use Sneak Attack.

Crippling Strike: In addition to Sneak Attack, at level five the thief learns the ability of Crippling Strike. When a Sneak Attack is successful, the thief cripples the enemy reducing their hit and damage rolls. This effect is in addition to the Sneak Attack damage. The enemies regain normal hit and damage rolls one turn after the successful Crippling Strike. At level five this causes the enemy to have -1 to hit and damage rolls. Every four levels after, the thief gains minus one to this ability. At level thirty, an enemy hit with Crippling Strike would have -7 to hit and damage rolls.

And here is Sneak Attack as implemented in 3E NWN description from NWN Wikia: Sneak Attack

Sneak Attack
Specifics: Whenever the character makes a successful attack against an opponent who is flat-footed, cannot see them, or who is in combat with someone else, the character's blow delivers extra damage. This extra damage is +1d6 at first level and an additional +1d6 every two levels thereafter. This extra damage is not multiplied in the case of a critical hit.

Use: automatic. Monsters of the construct and undead types are immune to sneak attacks, as are any creatures that are immune to critical hits.

1. Feature Request: Rogues33 votes
    1. YES!
      21.21%
    2. heck yes!
      18.18%
    3. Nah
      51.52%
    4. What rhymes with orange?
        9.09%

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    Ehm, two affirmative answers ? Are you sure about that ?
    That isn´t much smart if you want serious topic...
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited April 2013
    Edvin said:

Ehm, two affirmative answers ? Are you sure about that ?
    That isn´t much smart if you want serious topic...

We can add them together at the end and compare them to the "No"s. Come on it will be fun. They aren't really two yes answers, they are a yes and a really enthusiastic yes answer lol.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    Samus said:

Not really a fan of implementing further 3E content into a 2E game...

Well, some things was better in 2E and some in 3E.
    If we can made few easy chages for better play, why not ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    edited April 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Implementing sneak attack would have way too many implications on BG/BG2, where you have kits like the Assassin and the Shadowdancer.

My take on the subject is: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    not even as an additional kit or a configuration option like it was in Icewind Dale?

This is enhanced edition my good person. ENHANCED EDITION. The possibilities are endless but you can't change original content ;)
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    Samus said:

Not really a fan of implementing further 3E content into a 2E game...

As of BGII, there's already lots of accepted 3E content integrated (e.g., Sorcerors).
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    edited April 2013
    Not sure why the poll used 2 "yes" options...

For my part, I want the Evil Female Thief to be viable.
    What is this Evil Female Thief you speak of? I misses the scuttlebutt or announcement.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    If I want a rogue like that I play NWN...
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    I think that would sync well into the bounty hunter class. It makes sense from a lore perspective, a bounty hunter might need to bring someone in alive. Horribly maimed, but still alive.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    I think that the Shadowdancer kit was a way of implementing something that resembles what you would like in the game. Haven't tried it yet, and I heard it was (is?) buggy, but it must be interesting. Adding new rules is always tricky. A rule system was designed the way it is on purpose. I'm not saying that it's perfect. But putting something entirely new into it may have some serious implications. Even in tablatop RP when we implement a "house rule" we usually debate about it for months before we actually start using it. And that's for minor changes. (Please observe, that this is still not a "no" from me.)
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Still don't see why anyone would want it...a one shot attack for a tiny amount of damage (and later a chance for a minor debuff on top) (by comparison), but no need for stealth, or massive repeatable attacks that just require stealth/invis and being behind the target. Both of which are rendered worthless by the same types of enemies, so it wouldn't really help viability at all.

I'd still take BG backstab any day, even if it was a 3rd edition game...ESPECIALLY if it was a 3rd edition game, since their HP totals are MUCH higher then in 2nd edition (after level 10), while damage output is actually lower, making higher levels a grind...though not quite to 4th edition level of boring grind.

She doesn't even really exist yet, and the new thief is already one of the most powerful NPCs in the game, after Jan and Yoshimo (in that order), simply by virtue of being a leveling thief.

Still don't see why anyone would want it...a one shot attack for a tiny amount of damage (and later a chance for a minor debuff on top) (by comparison), but no need for stealth, or massive repeatable attacks that just require stealth/invis and being behind the target. Both of which are rendered worthless by the same types of enemies, so it wouldn't really help viability at all.

I'd still take BG backstab any day, even if it was a 3rd edition game...ESPECIALLY if it was a 3rd edition game, since their HP totals are MUCH higher then in 2nd edition (after level 10), while damage output is actually lower, making higher levels a grind...though not quite to 4th edition level of boring grind.

She doesn't even really exist yet, and the new thief is already one of the most powerful NPCs in the game, after Jan and Yoshimo (in that order), simply by virtue of being a leveling thief.

In 3E sneak attack is a repeatable attack. As long as the foe is not facing you, you do extra damage. I played many games online on NWN and would feel like super rogue when fighting a guy because of the extra damage. This only worked though when teamed up with someone else because if the guy fights you, you lose all the extra damage. Also, lots of enemies, such as the ever prevalent walking dead and constructs were completely immune.

I'm not sure in IWD if it's like that or not, it's been some time since I played the first one.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    @Typo_tilly, read this thread from the post i pointed foward. Sneak attack is an feature in the old infinite engine itself already.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/297026/#Comment_297026
  • bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    think of how powerful thieves are in this game,why would you want more?

apart from the thieving skills that can cover a wide array of the party's needs scouting/traps/locks/illusions thieves can also kill a moderate oponent at the beggining of a fight(or in the middle too,with invisibility pots/rings)

they also have acces to set traps/epic traps which also removes opponents from the game before they can even affect the battle

and later on they get assasination which can be combined with belm and improved haste for high mellee damage even without backstab

and you want to add this too?

why would you want even better thieves?

as it is a mage and a thiefcan win any battle by themselves and this is supposed to be played with a party of 6...

think of how powerful thieves are in this game,why would you want more?

apart from the thieving skills that can cover a wide array of the party's needs scouting/traps/locks/illusions thieves can also kill a moderate oponent at the beggining of a fight(or in the middle too,with invisibility pots/rings)

they also have acces to set traps/epic traps which also removes opponents from the game before they can even affect the battle

and later on they get assasination which can be combined with belm and improved haste for high mellee damage even without backstab

and you want to add this too?

why would you want even better thieves?

as it is a mage and a thiefcan win any battle by themselves and this is supposed to be played with a party of 6...

Assassination will only be allowable once in BG2EE I believe. Also the sneak attack only happens when someone else has engaged the enemy so party of 1 one won't cut it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.