Skip to content

Spells: Find Traps and Knock. Do they work? (

LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
edited April 2013 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)
I've played through BG dozens of times, and still I have not used those spells. Because I love thieves. Now, I am planning a 3 or 4 member-evil run with my protagonist being a level 6 thief, then dual-classing over to mage. Vicconia, Dorn, and maybe Eldoth because I never took a bard along before.

My concern is Durlag's tower. I want to complete everything in the game, and DT is a wicked grind and the last time I ran through it traps were a huge problem even for my skilled rogues. Will Vikky's Find Traps spell work 100% of the time?? My main character can only get his traps skill up to 80%, because I am putting 95 points into setting traps. My mains lock skill will only be around 30%, aka useless. So I will need to rely heavily on knock spells. Do they work 100% of the time?

With traps, I hope to find them with magic, then use a potion of perception to disarm the tougher ones.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I never used Find Traps either since it doesn't actually disarm them. XD But Knock works like a charm on any lock that can be picked normally.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    but when you find traps you can send warrior to tank them

not mage

or mage with mirror image
    If its an elemental trap you can memorize the right protective magic for it, so long as it doesn't reset after its triggered.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    yeah but still thief for convinience is great
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    zur312 said:

yeah but still thief for convinience is great

This. I've decided to make my find/disarm traps 100 and just deal with the lesser inconvenience of a 80 set traps.
    CaptRory
  • ShadowTigerShadowTiger Member Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    Find traps does work 100% of the time, but like the rogues ability it only triggers once per round. It lasts a pretty long time but you will still need to cast it multiple times in a dungeon with multiple levels.

Most traps you can walk around if you can see them... you don't *need* to disarm all of them. Also Monster Summoning I can be used to trigger traps.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    I've often tried playing the game without a thief. I usually just end up getting frustrated and pick up Imoen.

If you really want to do it, though, you can download a tweaks mod from http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg2tweaks/. One of the options under "convenience changes" is "No Traps or Locks". This will disable all traps and locks in the game. It was originally designed to take the away the disadvantage that a thief presents to powergamers.
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507

If you really want to do it, though, you can download a tweaks mod from http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg2tweaks/. One of the options under "convenience changes" is "No Traps or Locks". This will disable all traps and locks in the game. It was originally designed to take the away the disadvantage that a thief presents to powergamers.

I can't even think of BG without Traps or Locks. They are so fundamental to the atmosphere of D&D.

CaptRorydstoltzfus
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    As has been stated above, Find traps doesn't work like it does in NWN (where it disarms the trap as well). It just points them out. While it isn't necessary to remove each trap in DT, if you are a completionist like me, you will want to do exactly that. Best to take a thief.

Also remember that there are several potions that increase your thief's natural ability to see/disarm traps. And you can buy them at the entrance of DT (and find a few in the tower itself also). Oh, and they stack, so drinking 2-3 will boost your ability significantly.
    Just be careful, if you end up going over 250 in a thief skill it wraps back around. 300 isn't 50 more than 250. Its just 50. XD
    the_spyder
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited May 2013
    @CaptRory - thanks for the caveat. I had forgotten about that bit, but it is important to know.

And to the OP, if you are looking for a thief to hire, there's this guy named Vila Restal that is looking for work. He's the best thief in the business. Property just generally comes naturally to him.
    @the_spyder You're most welcome. I know you would've mentioned it eventually, I just got to it first ^_^
    the_spyder
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I'm pretty sure they fixed the issue of thief skills wrapping around for BG:EE.