Skip to content

Good or evil?

NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
I've been on this forum for some time and I've been noticed alot more players then I thought tend to play evil parties. This trend seems to follow the fact that the evil NPCs in Baldur's Gate 1 tend to be more powerful then alot of the good NPCs. For example, Dorn is well overpowered while the dwarf who's name escapes me actually regenerates HP. Viconia is, if not the best cleric, certainly the most popular and Edwin's special item gives him better casting abilities then other casters.

So, what I'm asking is, are you usually good, or evil, and why? Usually, I, myself am good, for the following reasons.
1)Playing good is generally easier, though I'd not mind if someone added a mod for more bounty hunters for a party with a reputation that got too high.
2)To me, it makes for a better story. The internal struggle of having a lord of murder for a father that constantly haunts your dreams and desires makes for a good narrative whereas the story of simply giving into your base urges and murdering everything ever seems a bit more shallow to me.
3)It makes sense to me that someone raised by a man like Gorian would have decent morals and heroic desires. Arguably one could say nature should overcome this, but in the battle of nurture vs nature I've always thought nature is what we start with and nurture changes what we are as we grow, therefore, to me, nurture is more powerful.
4)I have to admit, sometimes I get much too immersed in the games I play, and I actually end up feeling *bad* when I play evil characters. I know its just a game, but for some reason that doesn't seem to be enough.

Mind you, I still murder noober every chance I get.

That guy is a putz.
  1. Good or evil?122 votes
    1. Evil! Evil plain and simple!
      17.21%
    2. Good! Good also plain and simple!
      36.89%
    3. I'm a damn dirty neutral.
      21.31%
    4. I try to mix it up alittle.
      24.59%

Comments

• CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    The game isn't really geared up for playing an evil party. Its more for the good aligned and neutral parties. That being said I play the game in a neutral, good sorta way regardless of my alignment.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199

letting the dragon kill and eat the knight when playing with toys...

Well, if they didn't want that they shouldn't have made the dragon look so much damn cooler.

Also it's nice to be associated with such a fine group of gentlemen.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I keep it at a healthy radius of 50% Evil, 50% Neutral and 250% Chaotic.
    I just wanted to add that playing Evil in BG1 can be a highly varied experience, significantly more so than in BG2 at least. As of the introduction of the secret NPC, there are a total of 10 evil NPCs in the game, which is enough for 2 fully evil runs with no character overlap. You have 3 and 1/2 Fighters (1 of which can make an awesome dualled thief), 1 and 1/2 Clerics, 3 Arcane Casters (1 of which makes an amazing cleric), and 2 halves Thieves. As it is I can run: Charname + my usual team of miscreants (Dorn, Shar-Teel, Viconia, Edwin, Xzar) or I could run Charname + Montaron, Kagain, Tiax, Eldoth and Mr Spoiler, for a completely different feel.

I also managed to jury-rig the Mur'Neth NPC mod to work with EE, which gives me another thief, and an awesome ooze-man one at that. Sadly his voice doesn't work yet... *strange gargling sounds*
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    I lean towards the neutrals, though there will likely be a token evil or good teammate, possibly both. I'm doing an evil playthrough, now, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    That is true. I end up doing a bunch of quests the good way or just not doing them at all (which causes the powergamer in my soul to strain against its adamantine chains).

Sometimes also I like to take Kivan on an evil playthrough and give him the Helm of Opposite Alignment.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited May 2013
    I mostly play mixed alignment parties. Whether or not I roleplay depends on the type of game concept.

In some games I'm unconcerned about roleplaying and I just enjoy the party for what it offers tactically.

But when I do roleplay, I now have each character behave independently according to their bio/alignment/class/banters+scripted relationships. That can produce some surprising twists in how the game unfolds.

All that said, I don't really enjoy playing an all-out evil party. If I were really there as myself, I'd be a do-gooder hero. But if that is all one ever roleplays, then you'll miss out on some really wonderful characters in the game. And it is just a fantasy game that depends on combat strategies. So I would never want to restrict myself to just good or neutral aligned characters in the party.

If the PC is a Neutral type that feels every individual is responsible for him or herself, that makes more sense of recruiting both good and evil characters.
  • The_Shairs_HandbookThe_Shairs_Handbook Member Posts: 219
    edited May 2013
    simply put it is a hasbro game.... you get only good option....

evil get stupid option and neutral gets almost total neglected in bg.... only on the newer biowere games neutrality aligment get more voice and interesting endings... (dragon age games)

there is no neutral ending in bg.... the world of BG is black and white....
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    I find it very hard to kill an innocent character just to get their equipment or just because I feel like it. I feel a visceral distaste that stays with me and so after awhile I no longer enjoy the game. When I want to separate a pair of NPCs who usually come together, I can't bring myself to kill off one of them, because to me the roleplaying suffers. I try to lock them off in another room or building to remove them from the party.

Yet, I very much like some of the evil characters for their abilities and determination. I like trying Dorn's blackguard abilities, and I especially like Viconia for the dark mysterious atmosphere she gives to the game,
    let alone her magic resistance, great for a cleric. So I will pick up evil characters in a Neutral or even relatively Good party.

I've been thinking about how I might be able to play a (partly) evil party and still enjoy the game as I experience their abilities and character. I still probably won't kill absolutely innocent characters or bystanders (unless it is essential to get past them), but I will get those thieves who sometimes try to pickpocket or manipulate the party (How many of you are dying the get that guy in the gambling tent at the Beregost Carnival? I almost want a mod to make that possible). Their evil play I think would be to steal anything useful that they can get away with, to bully others, and to deceive and not live up to agreements.
    Sort of like Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026

Reasons:
    1) Many good/neutral-but-good-leaning NPCs annoy me...Xzar and Eldoth belong to my favorite NPCs in the series (along with not-really-that-OP-Edwin) because I like their voices, banters and personalities.

2) I am a bhaalspawn. If I like it or not, there is something dark inside me. It doesn't mean I have to be a psychopath who slaughters everything and everyone.

I could not agree more. The main protagonist has evil and power bred in his/her bones. Despite Gorion's upbringing, the edges still show and the world they live in is not all rainbows and sunshine. It is ridiculous to be Lawful Good to the extent that the creators present it. Even in real world, that is what gets you killed, maimed and conned.
    Southpaw said:

Reasons:
    1) Many good/neutral-but-good-leaning NPCs annoy me...Xzar and Eldoth belong to my favorite NPCs in the series (along with not-really-that-OP-Edwin) because I like their voices, banters and personalities.

2) I am a bhaalspawn. If I like it or not, there is something dark inside me. It doesn't mean I have to be a psychopath who slaughters everything and everyone.

I could not agree more. The main protagonist has evil and power bred in his/her bones. Despite Gorion's upbringing, the edges still show and the world they live in is not all rainbows and sunshine. It is ridiculous to be Lawful Good to the extent that the creators present it. Even in real world, that is what gets you killed, maimed and conned.
    Vis-a-vis Gorion's upbringing, the whole 'What would have happened if Charname and Sarevok had swapped places' thing is kinda funny if you have an Evil PC.

'How would things have turned out if Gorion had raised Sarevok instead of you?'
    'I dunno. Maybe he would have been more successful.'
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    edited May 2013
    @Eudaemonium I always felt that forced moral lesson was silly and out of place. Like the game shouting "SUBSCRIBE TO MY WORLD VIEW OF THINGS! HOW DARE YOU THINK OTHERWISE!" Also, I never really thought about how ridiculous it was if you were evil. It now seems extra silly.
    Yet another nail in the Coffin of Bhaal.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    I play good for two reasons: having gotten too invested in the "good" npcs over the years, I feel guilty IRL if I abandon/kill them, and I suck at playing evil; I quickly devolve into a foaming at the mouth lunatic, killing anything that moves, and I just don't find that fun.
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    Chaotic Neutral. Life's more fun when you're not following any rules.
  • DeathMachineMiyagiDeathMachineMiyagi Member Posts: 120
    Good, usually. If only because BG seems to want to translate 'evil' as 'obnoxious idiot.' Its possible to play a satisfying Evil campaign, and I've done so, but its much more of a headache.

What I have yet to play even once is neutral. Mostly because the game itself doesn't seem to care about Neutral; there are no 'Neutral' Bhaalspawn dreams, for example, which means the closest you can come is 'schizophrenic', alternately rescuing kittens and murdering peasants.

there are no 'Neutral' Bhaalspawn dreams

Hold on a moment...there are different dreams depending on your alignment/reputation ???
    Southpaw said:

Hold on a moment...there are different dreams depending on your alignment/reputation ???
    Not sure if sarcasm... But if not, then yes. You get different dreams (and powers) depending on whetehr your reputation is higher than 9 (or 9 and below).
  • DeathMachineMiyagiDeathMachineMiyagi Member Posts: 120
    Southpaw said:

Since it sounds like you play Evil first and foremost, yes, there are Good Bhaalspawn dreams. Unlike the evil ones, they mostly involve Bhaal 'tempting' you in some way (rather unconvincingly) and you turning aside from his methods and fighting your Bhaalspawn nature....after which you get a slightly more benevolent Bhaalspawn power like Cure Light Wounds instead of Minor Drain.
    I tend to have high rep in Chapter 6 just to get 1 Draw Upon Holy Might. =P
    edited May 2013
    @Eudaemoniom - no sarcasm. Even though I played this game for years over and over, I mostly played a villain with quite good publicity (reputation between 12-15) so I actually don't think I saw the < 9 rep dreams. I knew, that the powers you get tend to be different based on your alignment (and reputation), but never noticed the other dreams.
    Damn...I gotta try it.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    I mix it up but personally prefer neutral...

*slap*

NO! STOP IT! BAD MATHMICK DON'T TAKE SIDES HERE! *slap*
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    I usually play as either Lawful or Neutral Evil. As others have mentioned the dialogue options for evil are pretty stupid so I'm forced to choose either good or neutral responses.

I would play as neutral more often but there's little motivation for neutral in BG 2. I can't see a chaotic or true neutral character hold such a grudge that s/he would abandon all else to track down Irenicus. I also didn't like Imoen so I don't see him/her going through so much to save her.