Skip to content

Lich drawing (Finished)

Zzidolfas86Zzidolfas86 Member Posts: 77
edited May 2013 in Fan Creations
So I was bored the other day and started to doodle a Lich. I want to finish up this picture in photoshop later on, what do you guys think? Any input would be great :)

Pencil doodle: http://www.zzidolfas.net/004 Pictures and Shit/Lich.jpeg
Colored in photoshop: http://www.zzidolfas.net/004 Pictures and Shit/Lich-King.jpg
Post edited by Zzidolfas86 on

Comments

• SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited May 2013
    All sorts of badass! It really looks like this lich was once a ruler, or perhaps commissioned some fine finery. Is that chainmail I see underneath the robes?
  • Zzidolfas86Zzidolfas86 Member Posts: 77
    edited May 2013
    You are correct, that was an attempt to give him some chainmail :)
    I always picture the rattle of the chainmail when the undead walk/stumble down dark and silent hallways.

When I started this doodle I had the image of skeleton king Leoric in mind, from Diablo 3. This is where the crown came into the picture really. :)

Who I want this Lich to be is hard to say.... Maybe a creation of Szass Tam, a powerful wizard ruler of an ancient time brought back as undead to serve Thay ?

As I say that I am not sure where I will go with his wings... They just seem out of place if he was some old fallen wizard....

See, this is why I posted it in the first place.... I like to bounce ideas and input all over the place! :p
    The wings could be some sort of magical construct, like it has "energy wings", maybe. Could also be re-worked into oddly-shaped hills (it's magic, undead ain't gotta explain bone dust to us nosy mortals!), or something.
    Yeah, chain mail is noisy. I have a friend who used to make it and wear it under his shirts. Also heavy!
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    It looks awesome.

Except for the crown which is a bit world of warcraft-esqe
    As much as I dislike wow these days, the crown is something I want to live with :p
    I cant really answer as to why, but I like it.... Atleast after I have been coloring for a while now, it has grown on me.... sorry :(

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Very nice!
    Ty! I am working on the coloring at the moment :) Tho I do it in photoshop, so its slow and painstaking :p
  • SylphSylph Member Posts: 210
    Neat-O ;D Make sure you post the finished version too!
    I will :) It should be done before next week is over atleast.
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    Buddy - that is gorgeous. @Zzidolfas86 got skills..!
    I was not sure if I wanted to post the finished picture or not, because I was not very happy with my results in this one.. :/

Now, I am not one of those people with tons of experience from photoshop or digital art, so I will need some time to get used to it. I will try to improve on myself with my next drawing :)

Anyway, here is the lich all done and dandy in color!

http://www.zzidolfas.net/004 Pictures and Shit/Lich-King.jpg

• YovanethYovaneth Member Posts: 691
    Nice. Even better to see you've avoided the traditional undead red eyes.
    Ty. Most of my undead inspiration comes from Blizzard. I like how they grasp undead as chilled, frosty and cold.
    @Zzidolfas86 - Have you tried layering? it really helps with tone. I think your work is really nice and i'm not saying it needs it though. Just as you said you're not overly experienced with paintshop/photoshop I recommend playing with it a little.

It makes a huge difference - one of my own greatest paintshop discoveries :)
    I do use layers indeed, they make life a lot easier!

My aim is to try and improve little by little. I dont have too much spare time to draw these days, but I really enjoy it once the mood kicks in. :)

• DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Nice.
    ajwz said:

It looks awesome.

Except for the crown which is a bit world of warcraft-esqe

I personally like the crown.

• reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Very much prefer the pencil version. Has excellent clarity and conveys more to me. Amazing work.

Very much prefer the pencil version. Has excellent clarity and conveys more to me. Amazing work.

Ty, and I agree :)
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    edited May 2013

Most of my undead inspiration comes from Blizzard.

Lol, when I saw your drawing I was about to say "why are you not working for Blizzard?"

Really cool stuff, love it.

The colored version is somewhat blurry though.

Samwise is my nr.1 man when it comes to art ;)
    @Zzidolfas86 - I feel the same these days. Once I start I can't stop. In a deep portrait drawing mood at the moment. I think I have just taken on a monumentally large task of recreating high quality BG portraits from friend and volunteer photographs.
  • SylphSylph Member Posts: 210
    Wicked awesome :) Love the texture on the cloth
    Oh, wow, excellent coloring job, there! I love the choice of colors. That just confirms that this lich was loaded in life, look at all that purple dye and jewelry on the robes!
    Ty :)

I guess he was loaded in life to make up for my lack of... uhm.. load.... Never mind!

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    This looks great :).

The coloured version does look a little blurry at 100%, though. Zooming out helps keep the picture crisp.
    Troodon80 said:

This looks great :).

The coloured version does look a little blurry at 100%, though. Zooming out helps keep the picture crisp.

Ty :) Yeah the zooming is just a problem on my side, I should have just scaled it down before I uploaded it. Just to lazy to fix it :D

• MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356

Who I want this Lich to be is hard to say.... Maybe a creation of Szass Tam, a powerful wizard ruler of an ancient time brought back as undead to serve Thay ?

As I say that I am not sure where I will go with his wings... They just seem out of place if he was some old fallen wizard....

See, this is why I posted it in the first place.... I like to bounce ideas and input all over the place! :p

Larloch himself came to mind when I saw your drawing in pencil. Truly impressive work! Although I'm not to sure about liches having wings or having a need for chainmail.... It's an interesting innovation, nonetheless!
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Indeed, they don't need chainmail, it's sub-par.

Next, a lich with full plate, and packing steel!

P.S. Awesome drawing ;]
    Ty :) And my next drawing is not from d&d, but it is for a D20 Starwars RPG. A friend of mine wanted me to put a face on his char.

I am also working on my own toon for my current p&p campaign. An RPG called the 7th seas. Not my favorite I will admit, but we had to give it a try :)