Hold Person

School: Enchantment/Charm
Range: Sight of caster
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 round/level
Casting Time: 3
Area of Effect: Special
Saving Throw: Negates

This spell holds 1-4 humans, demihumans, or humanoid creatures rigidly immobile and in place for five or more rounds. The Hold Person spell affects any bipedal human, demihuman, or humanoid of man-size or smaller, including brownies, dryads, dwarves, elves, gnolls, gnomes, goblins, half-elves, halflings, half-orcs, hobgoblins, humans, kobolds, lizard men, nixies, orcs, pixies, sprites, troglodytes, and others. Thus, a 10th-level fighter could be held, while an ogre could not. The effect selects the enemies closest to the target and holds them. Enemies making saving throws are totally unaffected by the spell. Undead creatures cannot be held. Held creatures cannot move or speak, but remain aware of events around them and can use abilities not requiring motion or speech. Being held does not prevent the worsening of the subjects' condition due to wounds, disease, or poison.</blockquote

Will only the party members who fall within the perception range of the enemy caster be affected? Or as long as the target of the spell is within sight of the caster, will any party members standing close to that target also be affected, even if they fall outside the perception range of the caster? How close is "closest to the target"? Does that mean up to the three party members that are closest to the target regardless of however far away they might be? And then 'sight of caster" refers only to the target?

Otherwise, I'm guessing "sight of caster" means that and only that, period, but just checking (playing a no-reload game, lol).

I guess as long as the PC is kept well away from any other party member affected by Hold, and he is fourth farthest away from the possible targets, that should ensure safety, though.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I don't think there is actually a limit on how many enemies this can hold.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Purely anecdotal, I can't be positive but myself I don't recall it ever Holding more than four...
    I think I got 5 flinds with it once...
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Samus said:

Spells do have an uncanny ability to chase you though... even if you try running away with the Paws of the Cheetah half way across the area map...

I have tried running away from a finger of death across the map, it's actually quite funny.
    edited May 2013
    Here we go. I created a bunch of kobolds and with one casting of the priest's hold person I got 8 of them.image

P.S. that is not the description used in the game.
    @Tresset Wow. Have you ever seen this happen to all six party members? But it's almost got to be the same script for both enemies and party members alike.
    Lemernis said:

@Tresset Wow. Have you ever seen this happen to all six party members? But it's almost got to be the same script for both enemies and party members alike.

My party members don't bunch up like that so at least some of them are out of the range of the AoE. Plus their saves are far better than a bunch of kobolds. I don't think I have ever seen more than three of my party held at once.
    So perhaps "closest" does mean within sight of the caster... I.e., up to three others that are closest to the target and within sight of the caster, maybe? In your test with the kobolds, if some of the kobolds in such a cluster fall outside of the perception range of the caster, I wonder of they would remain unaffected.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited May 2013
    Important thing when casting a single-target spell is, being able to target and keep eye contact until spell is cast. Once the casting is finished, your hold spell will launch to hit the first target. By the time it hits, if there are enemies very close to the initial target, they will be held too.

Example:Two gnolls are close together. You start casting hold person on one of them, the other suffers morale failure and runs away. Your spell goes and hits the gnoll you targeted, but at the exact moment the spell hits (the magical enchantment globe touches the gnoll) the other gnoll is so far away and is unaffected.

You start casting hold on a single kobold, there are no other enemies close. But by the time the spell is cast, three more kobolds have joined to fight your tank character. So when the spell hits four are so close together, they are all affected.

You start casting a lightning bolt spell on a target but before you can finish the chant, the target goes invisible or sanctuaries. Spell casting is stopped but occasionaly you may see your character waving his hands franticaly as if still trying to cast.

An enemy casts a chaos spell on Khalid. Jaheira and Imoen are next to him, you immediately order Khalid to rush north while the two rushes south. By the time spell hits Khalid, with luck Immy and Jaheira will be out of its 'blast range' and be unaffected. This works different for player and computer, computer always has to target a single character while you can cast chaos centered on an area.

So a single target spell requires you to have unblocked eye contact with the target for as long as the spell takes to cast. Once the spell is cast, it has to travel to the victim and affect. The victim can run far but the spell will follow and eventually catch, even if the victim goes invisible. Only way of avoiding a targeted spell after it is cast is to leave the area or quickly erect a spell deflection/turning before it hits. At the moment the spell hits, its area of effect will be determined, at that exact moment the number of enemies suspectible and within the radius will be affected.

• HerrderGezeitenHerrderGezeiten Member Posts: 139
    @Tresset your Priest is drunk -> 8 seems legit!
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @HerrderGezeiten "How many kobolds am I holding up?" "Five?" "Good enough. Cast away!"
  • Fighting_FerretFighting_Ferret Member Posts: 229
    The radius for that spell is seven feet, I believe, centered on the spells target when the spell lands.