Skip to content

Mars One

AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
edited May 2013 in Off-Topic
So, I have finally stumbled upon the Mars One project. and it looks pretty awesome. After a quick perusal of the their site it seems that there is some sort of theoretical chance of success!
http://applicants.mars-one.com/

I wouldnt want to go myself, but wow, finally something is happening in spacecraft!
What do you guys think about the project?

Comments

• NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    I just really hope it's independent and not influenced by companies and governments. It's really awesome that's going to happen! I'd also love to see what's in Mars! :)
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    A one way ticket was a pretty good sign.
    Say goodbye.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Seems like a lot of risks that I personally am not willing to take. I mean someone has to be a pioneer, so kudos to those that go, but I just don't see it being something I'd want for myself.
  • hansolohansolo Member Posts: 136
    Too naive.
    It might be possible one day but not this way as presented on the above internet page.
    You just have to use your common sense. Living in such a hostile environment without even a steady stream of things/tools/food from earth for when things go wrong...

But at least they have a vision, better than nothing :)
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    2023? Hopelessly implausible.

Just taking the rocketry for starters, right now humanity doesn't have a rocket capable of taking people to the moon, let alone Mars. And it takes about 3 years to get to Mars, compared to 3 days to get to the moon.

And that was just for getting to the moon and surviving a few days there. Trying to survive indefinitely on Mars? Hard to imagine how much gear you would need for that, but it's a lot.
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    If certain rumours regarding technology are true, and research has things fifty years ahead of what we have now, then perhaps such things have already been done without us ever knowing...
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited May 2013
    2023 is completely implausible as @karnor00 said. For the long trip we'd need a ship with a rotating mid-sector so we can have an area with increased gravity or anyone who goes would be hugely debilitated when they got to Mars in let us say being very optimistically six months, although a 1 to 2 years trip is more probable.

Just to build this ship entirely new industries would have to be raised out of nowhere and there wouldn't be a market for their products after the ship(s) departed. That's the real reason we don't have ships capable to take us to the moon now. It was extremely expensive and had 0 financial return to the investments. After cancelling the Apollo program the industries that provided materials that would only be fit for use in Apollo rockets and modules just closed or started manufacturing other things.

So do we have technology to go to Mars. I would say yes. Is there anyone in place to provide what would be needed for a ship to go there. Nope. Not at all and it's not economically sound to even try right now. Do I think we'll ever go to Mars? Certainly, but not right now.

And even if we got there, all attempts at building self-sustaining colonies have failed miserably here on Earth. If I'm not wrong the confined domed colony experiments never lasted more than six months and failed either from an environmental failure or mental problems created by prolonged closed quarters living with other people.

I certainly wouldn't risk living in a domed colony that can suffer a complete environment break down when I'm on a planet were I can't even breath without mechanical help...
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @mlnevese: I completely agree. The economy just isn't capable of it right now. And a one way ticket to Mars sounds like hell to me. What do we even KNOW for certain about this planet? We only just started learning about the Moon. I don't think living on Mars is possible. This whole thing just is a suicide trip in the name of so-called 'science'.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Can i sign up other people and force them to go?
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud If I remember a study I read correctly in 300-350 years Earth's iron reserves will be running out unless we start a massive recycling program. I'm quite sure people from the 24th century will have the necessary economic need to start at least automatic or remote controlled mining operations in Mars. It's the richest planet in terms of iron reserves in the Solar system.

Even then I don't think they will risk the costs of keeping humans alive in Mars' hostile environment, it's cheaper to send robots and let them do the job by remote control.

Of course we can't really predict what technological advancements will occur in 3 and a half centuries, so it may be quite simple for them to actually establish an autonomous colony there. With our current technology no colony in Mars would survive without a constant flow of resources from Earth. Add to that all the points I made in my previous post and it becomes obvious that founding a colony in Mars today is nothing but wishful thinking.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @mlnevese: Don't get me wrong, I fully support space travel and space exploration. I think the universe is fascinating, what with all the planets which are still undiscovered for human eyes. I just think this trip to Mars doesn't come at the right moment. I DO hope space ships will get more funds again in the future, though.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    You guys are very likely right that it is very difficult, and possibly suicidal. However, we should neither underestimate what innovations might happen on the way. If the show is a massive success theyll have lots of money too.

The only way to be sure you won't suceed is to stop trying.
    Quit being so realistic ;)
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Sounds like a interesting way to get off this rock for good. As long as it's not a scam, that is. Anyway, I think I'll wait until someone is searching for people who wants to life on Europa instead. At least that moon has plenty of frozen oceans on it and looks prettier to boot.
    @Kamigoroshi Europa only has the slight problem of being the most probable place in the Solar system to have evolved life besides Earth. We should think twice before messing with it.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited May 2013
    While there are things that cause me to go with the line of "I don't want to live on this planet anymore." I don't think I'll be the first one out because I kind of want to be somewhere atleast.

I don't trust them to get everything right on the first try.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @mlnevese I can think of maybe 20 names in media, movies, books or games where humans settle Europa and an ancient alien species revives from its slumber and starts annihilating humans - maybe we're just a bit biased toward that little icy planet :p

I for one believe the way to go is by first smoothing out our industry. Let's be honest, all those fumes and exhausts in the sky certainly won't help new planets develop. We need a safe way to develop materials, as clean and ecological as possible. I'm not saying this as a hippie, but being a chem student has taught me how dirty things can be just for the purpose of "discovery". Besides, what happens if it turns out that the actual metal that is supposed to replace Technetium is found on the surface of one such planet? Oh dear...
    @Cheesebelly Yeap I've read someof those :)

But novels apart if Europa has life we know nothing about their phisiology. We could cause a mass extinction there just by landing a probe that has some component that is toxict to local life forms.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @mlnevese - "Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316

@mlnevese I can think of maybe 20 names in media, movies, books or games where humans settle Europa and an ancient alien species revives from its slumber and starts annihilating humans - maybe we're just a bit biased toward that little icy planet :p

I for one believe the way to go is by first smoothing out our industry. Let's be honest, all those fumes and exhausts in the sky certainly won't help new planets develop. We need a safe way to develop materials, as clean and ecological as possible. I'm not saying this as a hippie, but being a chem student has taught me how dirty things can be just for the purpose of "discovery". Besides, what happens if it turns out that the actual metal that is supposed to replace Technetium is found on the surface of one such planet? Oh dear...

Likewise if we see a giant metal face of the surface of Mars I say we find a way to nuke it. That or send Gary Sinise in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.