Skip to content

What Deity does/would your PC worship?

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    For the first playthrough in BG: EE I'm thinking about playing an female blackguard. Due to that Graz'zt would be a predestinated choice for her.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    shawne said:

Well the legend of how Bane got his power is fairly well-known. It's in a book you can find throughout the game.

Still, though, I'm curious, why would that make them less appealing? They're ambitious men who began as mortals and achieved penultimate power through force of will, courage, cunning, and strength. Is that not the Evil ideal?

Well, the way I RPed my Bhaalspawn, she isn't very impressed with her father and his companions - true, they became gods, but that doesn't mean they were worthy of the power. And in her eyes, the fact that Bhaal was killed by Cyric (who she sees as weak and cowardly) only confirms her belief that gaining power is one thing, keeping it is quite another.
    Right, but Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul were deities for centuries, and started as nothing but normal humans. Granted, very smart and talented mortal humans, but they were level 1 all the same. Also, they were deities for centuries before they were killed by a prophecy they couldn't avoid, much like the PC can't avoid the Bhaalspawn conflict.
    Six said:

Religious is one of the few things I have a really hard time to rp so mostly I'd go for faithless.
    Just can't get myself to bow down to deity's even if I would know they where real.

Don't think of it as bowing down. Think of it as acknowledging that they have the right idea. Besides, without you, the worshiper, they would die. Or, at least, without your deeds, they would be able to do very little to influence the world.
  • DougPiranhaDougPiranha Member Posts: 50
    Leira, goddess of deception and illusion. Although a minor deity, and killed off to boot, she always seemed to me the most fun to follow. I even made a custom mistcaller priest kit for BG2, the first one I tried. So my ideal character religion wise would probably be a gnome cleric/illusionist, follower of Leira in a "servant of the fallen" way, not a Cyric's stooge.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I never really thought of religion in this game as bowing down either... for certain deities anyways. Umberlee... chances are you're going to be giving tithes, time, and sacrifices; but for other gods, like... Ohgma... just venerate him with your deeds and hold him first. I think it's only the vengeful or very active gods that want such veneration...

And for the one who says they'd want to worship the Lady of Pain... so would I, but if you did, she'd find you and slice you to pieces ;)
    Ohgmite: Hey, Ohgma, I just wrote a very informative bestiary of all the predatory animals of the Underdark!

Ohgma: Sweeeeet!

But why would my Lady of Pain slice me to ribbons when I inflict such horrors on my enemies. Why, just yesterday, I told the rest of the party to stand back while I equipped the Cursed Sword of Berserking. Quick and relatively painless, you say? Not if I pummel them to death with the flat of the blade...
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    At one point i wanted to create an Undead Hunting Paladin or Death Slayer (advanced necromancer kit) who follows Kelemvor the new god of the dead. Kelemvor came to power just before the Bhaal Crisis and stuff so I don't know how valid that would be. @LadyRhian you are pretty good on that sort of stuff ;)
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @IchigoRXC He's covered in the Faiths and Avatars Book, so considering Bhaal is dead, he's pretty much good, since Kelemvor became the God of Death in 1368 DR.

For other Dark Gods, there is Velsharoon, the God of Undeath, Malar, the Beastlord, who represents the savagery of nature, Iyachtu Xvim, the Baneson, God of Tyranny and Hatred, and Talos, God of Destruction. And don't forget Talona, Goddess of Poison.

As for who my PC would worship, well, Selune. For me personally, probaby Deneir, Oghma, Selune or Milil.
    Who's the god that Kivan worships? I think if I didn't worship Ohgma, I'd pick that god... Sevrash or something like that.... and Shneidend... The lady of pain would probably maze you for doing that in Sigil... lol but I'm sure she values your sword arm XD
  • gfm50gfm50 Member Posts: 124
    Boo
    Alderon
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Mystra
    @Xavloria Silvanus? He's the Oakfather, God of Wild Nature and Druids. There is also Shaundakul, God of Travellers and the Wind.
    no no, that's the god Jaheira venerates, I mean the god of vengeance... the one Kivan the elven archer took, to after his wife Deheriana was murdered by Tazok...
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    Elf bard follows Erevan Ilesere
  • AlderonAlderon Member Posts: 53
    Worship? None, particularly. But if I had to choose based purely on affection/affinity, I'd say Mystra.
    Xavioria said:

Who's the god that Kivan worships? I think if I didn't worship Ohgma, I'd pick that god... Sevrash or something like that.... and Shneidend... The lady of pain would probably maze you for doing that in Sigil... lol but I'm sure she values your sword arm XD

No, no, not THE Lady of Pain, who is known only by that title. Loviatar, the goddess of suffering and pain whose title happens to also be Lady of Pain.

• seekaseeka Member Posts: 53
    Hm, lots of love for mystra. I am usually playing some sort of LE or LN mage, so I would probably have to go with Azuth.
    ...Well then Loviatar better watch herself... because I don't think she wants anyone else taking her title as THE lady of pain... do you know what happened to Aoskar?
    Oh, actually, Loviatar's title is _Maidend_ of Pain. My mistake.
    well... definitely not your fault... those two words mean practically the same thing... sorry for the confusion LMAO
    @Xavloria That would be Shevarash. He's an Elven Deity of Vengeance and Hatred of the Drow. Sorry, I was thinking of a human deity ::Embarrassed.::
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2012
    Without a doubt Umberlee. Mostly because halberds are my favourite weapon and I've always liked The Wave. Even though I know that she probably would never be of any help to me, and in all likelihood would be more of a hindrance than anything.
    YES thank you Rhian,... that is his name. that would be the god i would worship if it were not ohgma
  • BlyndfaythBlyndfayth Member Posts: 3
    It would all depend on the race of the PC I was playing with at the time.

Human - Selune or Mielikki
    Dwarf - Marthammor Duin
    Elf - Sehanine Moonbow
    Halfling - Urogalan
    Gnome - Baervan Wildwanderer
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Do you have to pick one?
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Only 3 of my Baldur's Gate characters I did roleplay as worshipping a deity, with all the others I didn't think about it, or they didn't worship any. The ones I did pick a deity for where: Ihrene the Conjurer worshipped Mystra, R'am the Berserker>Cleric worshipped Helm and Eriodal the elven fighter-mage, a D&D character from my secondary school days back in the eighties, worshipped Corellon Larethian, a choice I already made back then, a quarter of a century ago.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Six said:

Religious is one of the few things I have a really hard time to rp so mostly I'd go for faithless.
    Just can't get myself to bow down to deity's even if I would know they where real.

I have the same feeling, but it's not very realistic to be atheist in the Forgotten Realms. It would be less hard to believe there, deities are real, and you don't have the problem in this universe, where it seems very unlikely a good and almighty god created this mess.

But usually I only pick deities (as with the characters mentioned above), when explicitely asked. My DM asked about Eriodal's deity, and with R'am and Ihrene, it was a mod-NPC that started asking about faith and I picked from the dialogue options. The Gavin character asked Ihrene what her deity was, and Ajantis asked R'am if he worshipped Helm as well. I feel a little ashamed I hadn't put a thought on the deity of a Cleric character before that dialogue popped up.

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    My current Inquisitor would probably be a Helmite. My dwarf fighter would follow Moradin.

I personally would follow Kelemvor. He makes sense to me.
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    Lathander, spread joy and renewal, push back the wretched darkness!
  • Bobby_SingerBobby_Singer Member Posts: 65
    Awong124 said:

It's pretty hard to be an atheist in Forgotten Realms, since it's just known that there are gods. I think my PC would just choose to not worship any of them.

Bad idea. Once you died, you'd be absorbed into the Wall of the Faithless on the Fugue Plane where you'd be in agony and suffering until you finally found oblivion. Even Kelemnevor who was far more just than Mykul as god of the dead kept the wall up.
  • Bobby_SingerBobby_Singer Member Posts: 65
    Lathander seems pretty benign except for that monstrosity of a temple they have in Shadowdale.