Skip to content

Next gen consoles

2»

Comments

• CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited May 2013
    It doesn't seem like I'll be getting an Xbox One any time soon, due to the having to go online to activate games. It's pointless and unnecessary, and I don't have to activate movies I buy do I? But it seems the gaming industry operates in a whole different economic reality to the rest of the world, and is blaming preowned games for poor performance. They don't seem to understand that games are expensive to most people; it's no surprise that in a recession it's one of the things people cut back on. And being able to buy older games cheaply encourages people and makes them more likely to invest in new games when they come out. They can also still sell download content to people who buy used games as well, but those sales will fall if they keep going the way they are and then they'll be scratching their tiny heads wondering why that's happened.

Also, you can't borrow or lend games with your friends anymore... ugh. If the games industry wants to stop gaming being enjoyable for anyone, encourage piracy, and ultimate destroy itself, then it's on the right track no doubt.
    Post edited by Coutelier on
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Xbox One:

Strike 1: Need to connect to the internet (even once is a no go)
    Strike 2: Can not play lent or used games
    Strike 3: No backwards compatibility
    Strike 4: Kinnect comes with it
    Strike 5: Need to DL the game onto hard drive (I buy a console game, I expect to play it right away)

I honestly think, this will kill Microsoft in the console wars. They are still licking their wounds with Kinnect being a complete disaster that they lost the trust of many of their early adopters. Many may switch over to PS, but I am hoping someone new comes around and shakes the industry up.

I may buy I a PS4, but if I do, it'll be way down the line and there has to be a game I want to play on it. I'll probably stop being a console game player.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    *looks at specs for the next gen consoles, looks at features, watches videos, looks at games at release*
    "Wow it's the year 2013 and they still can't make a console better than the previous gen or based solely on gaming without all the extras..." *sighs*

*goes to GOG*
    "YE GODS!!! WIZARDRY 6-8 IS FOR SALE!!!"

That was my reaction to the next gen...
    In terms of technological advancement and capabilities, it does seem the previous gens all took at least one big step forward. Going from 8 to 16 to 32 bit (remember the days when all you had to do was compare bits? Sigh...), CD to DVD, SD to HD... but right now it looks like the newest gen is really just barely a hamster paw ahead of the last one.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    The last console I bought was a PS2. I still play my N64 and PS2, and haven't really cared to upgrade. I probably will buy a PS4 eventually. Although I don't see any games of recent years to really care much for. Well except maybe Tekken, Street Fighter or Marvel vs Capcom. They are the only things that are tempting me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I've been playing Assassin's Creed a lot recently, as well as fighting games and the odd JRPG... real long grinds those, but at least you do feel like you're actually getting value for your money, in terms of hours spent playing anyway. Curiously, I've never played any Final Fantasy games though...
    Samus said:

Coutelier said:

I've been playing Assassin's Creed a lot recently, as well as fighting games and the odd JRPG... real long grinds those, but at least you do feel like you're actually getting value for your money, in terms of hours spent playing anyway. Curiously, I've never played any Final Fantasy games though...

Oddly enough even on the SNES the Final Fantasy games did not click with me. Obviously they have been both very successful and popular though...
    I figure if I ever become famous and end up on a show where celebrities have to try things they've never done ('Never Seen Star Wars'; folks in the UK might have heard of that TV/Radio show), then it'll be one of my things. If that doesn't happen though, then I'll probably never touch them.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    The biggest deal for the Xbox One (Or XBONE... Or XBoner... I am so bad) is that indie developers may not self publish their games. Well, way to go Microsoft.

And you may not lend your games anymore... because you'll need to pay an extra fee! Way to go Microsoft!

But hey - they DO get the dogs, amiright?
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    edited May 2013
    Samus said:

Coutelier said:

Oddly enough even on the SNES the Final Fantasy games did not click with me. Obviously they have been both very successful and popular though...
    Did you ever play Secret of Mana or Terranigma (the latter since you're British like me, and the Americans never got it, ha! But they did get Chrono Trigger...)? Those are still two of my favourite games of all time.

The biggest deal for the Xbox One (Or XBONE... Or XBoner... I am so bad) is that indie developers may not self publish their games. Well, way to go Microsoft.

And you may not lend your games anymore... because you'll need to pay an extra fee! Way to go Microsoft!

PS4 gets the dogs too, though. CoD: Ghosts isn't an exclusive.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    If Microsoft does not change this policy about lending/buying used games Sony wins the next generation, I have no doubt about that.

Did anyone notice that Sony went up in the stockmarket during Microsoft's annoucement?
    mlnevese said:

If Microsoft does not change this policy about lending/buying used games Sony wins the next generation, I have no doubt about that.

Did anyone notice that Sony went up in the stockmarket during Microsoft's annoucement?

Yeah, that was kind of hilarious. It was kind 'yeah, the investors seem to have much the same idea as the fans...'
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Actually Sony's stock went up for unrelated reasons, they talked about the possibility of selling off their entertainment division (movies, music and such)... It just happened during Microsoft's reveal.
    Even so, it still looked hilarious.
    'Secret of Mana 2' (Seiken Densetsu 3) was also amazing, but I've only played it via emulation since it was never released normally. One of my friends had a modded Xbox that ran emulators, and we played through it 2 player together, which was a great experience. What other RPG has *3 different final bosses* depending on who you choose as your main character?
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    I just hope Windows 9 doesn't become even more confusing to handle than Windows 8... My dad's gonna move back to Windows 7, or so he told me. Can't miss the good ol' Start button. :'(

I just hope Windows 9 doesn't become even more confusing to handle than Windows 8... My dad's gonna move back to Windows 7, or so he told me. Can't miss the good ol' Start button. :'(

Now introducing... *drum roll* ...

The new Windows: Windows 9. You will now be able to watch TV! TVTVTV TV. TV. SportsSportsSports. TV. TV. Sports. TVTVTV. And it will now be bundled with its very own Kinect. Who needs a desktop when you can flail your arms around wildly?! Now introducing Kinect 2, for Windows 9.

Please note that Windows 9 requires Kinect 2 in order to function, this is because we disabled all keyboard and mouse functionality in our attempt to make this a singular platform. We realise this will be as confusing as heck but, once you get used to flailing around like a lunatic, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

You won't be able to use it for typing out documents or anything, but who needs those? You probably won't even be able to play games because the voice recognition sucks worse than my presentation skills — but who cares, right?!

Like the XBox One, we're now making Windows 9 in its image — so no more confusion over all those different platforms. Cool, huh? Right?! Just one platform across all devices? That's cool. Isn't it?!

Oh, and you'll need to connect to the internet at least once a day, just like the XBox since we're syncronising all Microsoft products to a subscription service. Oh, that's right, your XBox Live account is linked to your PC. Don't want an XBox account? Well, I guess you don't want a PC.
    @Troodon80: Ssssssshhhhh!

They might hear you.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Eudaemonium Too late... it's already in the Internet...
    @Troodon80: BURN IT! BURN IT ALL! D;
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud, I wish I could...
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375

The dog? Not even. The dog dying is very clearly the *sad* part of the next COD game.

• KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050

The dog? Not even. The dog dying is very clearly the *sad* part of the next COD game.

Fable 2 tried that, because I don't like dogs and it was utterly pointless anyways I just laughed at the attempt to make it sad.
    YOU BLOODY BASTARDS! What about the 1000s of dogs you killed in the Baldur's Gate playthroughs, HUH?! HUUUH?! You don't think of that you monsters? I for one shed not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six, not seven, BUT EIGHT tears for every single dog I had to put down!

AND YOU KNOW WHAT?! I'm getting an XBONE (could we make that seXBONEr perhaps? ) JUST FOR THE DOGS! APPLAUD NOW YOU SCUMBAGS! D:

/jk
    @Cheesebelly: Come, come now, dear. Please calm down. Think of your blood pressure! :3 *carries a drugged Cheesebelly out of the topic*
    THE RAINBOWS!!! THEY ATTACK I TELL YOU!
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781

AND YOU KNOW WHAT?! I'm getting an XBONE (could we make that seXBONEr perhaps? ) JUST FOR THE DOGS! APPLAUD NOW YOU SCUMBAGS! D:

/jk

That can be arranged. Fox News already called the 360 sexbox because of Mass Effect. We just need another game to have a split second of nudity and u will have it