Skip to content

Disappearing mouse cursor in fullscreen mode - fix

124»

Comments

• FlashheartFlashheart Member Posts: 125
    edited June 2013
    ***Check further in the thread for different versions to see which one suits you***

I've identified and resized 531 inventory BAM files. As far as I'm aware that should fix most (maybe all) icons from disappearing.

If you're struggling for performance with the software cursor - give this a try and see if it helps you.

Unzip all 531 files in the zip file attached to your override directory. Let me know if you have any problems, or if I've missed any. Maybe a mod would like to test first?

Regards
    Post edited by Flashheart on
    AbsoluteFall
  • AbsoluteFallAbsoluteFall Member Posts: 25
    edited June 2013

Yeah - it looks like the BAM files (icons) cause the problem. If they are larger than 55 pixels wide and/or 56 high, they will make the pointer disappear.

This means that 217 BAM files require resizing.

You can use my incomplete reference below about (BAM(s) acceptable dimensions) for pixel accuracy.

Pixel Dimension W x H
    Cloak 45x57
    Robe 37x57
    Stave 52x49

: XP and (INTEL) Integrated-CHIP
    Post edited by AbsoluteFall on
    edited June 2013

I've identified and resized 531 inventory BAM files. As far as I'm aware that should fix most (maybe all) icons from disappearing.

If you're struggling for performance with the software cursor - give this a try and see if it helps you.

Unzip all 531 files in the zip file attached to your override directory. Let me know if you have any problems, or if I've missed any. Maybe a mod would like to test first?

Regards

Well done! That should fix the cursor disappearing issues. One question did you modify all the .BAM inventory icons? Including the unaffected .BAM inventory icons ? (the ones that are not triggering the cursor issue i.e. Generic staff)

EDIT: Folks with slow game performance should alter their 'Color Quality' to 16bit and patch Flashheart's mod in their override folder to achieve a sluggish-free gameplay.

Hi

I only modified the ones which were causing problems. All the rest are left untouched.

A player can tell the difference - an icon which is unaffected will be larger, the modified BAMs will have smaller icons. I cheated a bit to be honest by using the small frames. Too much work to modify and resize the large frames.

My reasoning is that the small icons will at least appear, and not break the cursor. :)
    edited June 2013

Hi

I only modified the ones which were causing problems. All the rest are left untouched.

A player can tell the difference - an icon which is unaffected will be larger, the modified BAMs will have smaller icons.

It would be nice and complete if you have two versions of your mod:

#1 Modified affected .BAM files but not including the affected ones (current mod)
    #2 Modified affected .BAM files including unaffected ones

The #2 version is for consistency. Since, some players wants all icons (including me) proportionate to each other. (;

I cheated a bit to be honest by using the small frames. Too much work to modify and resize the large frames.

That's alright. I also gave up on resizing those .BAM files according to achievable dimensions (non-game-breaking) - very frustrating work.
    edited June 2013
    I've put together some more versions:

Version 1 (entitled newbams.zip) earlier in the thread:
    This version contains only the BAMs (icons) which cause the cursor to disappear. These replacement BAMs are all of the smaller variety (32x32 approx). Some icons will be big (default ones which don't break the cursor), some will be small (fixed icons).

Version 2 (entitled fullbams-large) attached 2 posts below:
    This version contains all inventory BAMs (icons). These replacement BAMs contain large icons which have been resized slightly smaller than default to fix the cursor bug (55x55 approx). Most icons will be big, some which are already small will still be small.

Version 3 (entitled fullbams-small) attached to the next post:
    This version contains all inventory BAMs (icons). These replacement BAMs contain small icons. This adds a degree of standardisation for the icons. All icons will be small.
    Post edited by Flashheart on
    Version 3 attached to this post.

Let me know if there are any problems. :)
    AbsoluteFall
    Version 2 attached here.
    AbsoluteFallloxx
    edited June 2013
    @Flashheart

That was a frustrating but helpful work! I think your mod will likely get the deserved attention if you create your own thread within this section or mods* section (regarding your fix).
    Flashheart
    Thanks for the support and kind words AbsoluteFall.

I mainly made the fix for myself (not very charitable) - but if it helps others I'm always happy to share (charitable +1). :)

I might drop it into the mods/fixes to see if others might like to use it.
    edited June 2013
    @Flashheart

Hi. I've managed to compile some recent fixes for patch 2014. I've also included yours. Here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19061/maximising-baldurs-gate-replayability-for-patch-2014#latest
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    edited June 2013
    @Flashheart - great discovery! I'll bring this to the attention of the team.
  • DreadnaughtDreadnaught Member Posts: 92
    Yeah I hope there working on this. Just got this and its rather annoying.