Skip to content

thoughts on bioware today

13»

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @Yovaneth: But you're treating BioWare as though it were a singular, sentient organism - most of the people who were there pre-EA are still there, such as David Gaider.
  • YovanethYovaneth Member Posts: 691
    edited June 2013
    Same with the company I was talking about - a lot of the original frontline employees stayed - for a while - then started drifting out as things worsened. It was top management that changed and it was the new top management that did the damage. I was one of the drifters and I don't regret it, despite the years of short-term jobs (and frequently no jobs) that followed. The company I work for now beats every other one I've ever worked for, but that was my luck.

The point is, never forget that Bioware is now just a marketing name under the EA banner. You cannot compare a marketing name to the dynamic standalone company that used to exist. Takeovers can talk all they like about allowing the subsumed company to retain its own style and management; at the end of the day it has to return a profit to the parent and if it doesn't, heads will roll. If that fails to return a profit (and frequently does - it's a downward spiral) then finally the marketing name too will be buried.

If DA3 and ME4 are a success, Bioware will survive. If one or both fail, EA are going to take a very hard look at cutting marketing costs.
    Yovaneth said:

If DA3 and ME4 are a success, Bioware will survive. If one or both fail, EA are going to take a very hard look at cutting marketing costs.

Unlikely, given that EA now has exclusive rights to produce "Star Wars" games - even if it becomes nothing more than a farm for mediocre products, BioWare has already been assigned to that task.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    shawne said:

Yovaneth said:

You know Star Wars game doesn't equal SW RPG. Infact the vast majority of Star Wars games haven't been RPGs.

Messi said:

You know Star Wars game doesn't equal SW RPG. Infact the vast majority of Star Wars games haven't been RPGs.

That's EA's own press release - they've assigned BioWare to RPGs, DICE to something that's widely believed to be a new Battlefront game, etc.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    shawne said:

Messi said:

That's EA's own press release - they've assigned BioWare to RPGs, DICE to something that's widely believed to be a new Battlefront game, etc.
    May I be forgiven for saying this, but that has the potential to be utterly awesome.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    Malicron said:

shawne said:

Messi said:

May I be forgiven for saying this, but that has the potential to be utterly awesome.
    It just depends on if ea cares about the potential, or would prefer to keep a low budget to maximize profit. Unfortunately, not many speak with their wallets against them so they realize they make a bad game for a beloved ip, they will make money. We can be hopeful though.