Skip to content

Patch status

Comments

• EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    @siril_dana - Don't pay for expansion packs and dlc? Since when has that ever happened? I remember gladly paying £20 for Tales of the Sword Coast when it came out.

Scratch that, I was quite young - Mother EntropyXII would have paid for it xD
    Adul
  • The way I see it, dlc stand for unfinished minor stuff that didn't make the release date... way to steel money from gamers, expansion packs would expand the game (I recall the expansion in Diablo 2 as a great example) But what would you know... Let's say they create this hole new adventure Y, and they want to sell it to us, for, I don't know, maybe 10 dolars... I would think it would be lame. If you don't think its lame, it's ok... but that's like your opinion men!

Kisses from Argentina, where buying anything in dollars is a pain in the ass.
    elminsterNecdilzor
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050

The way I see it, dlc stand for unfinished minor stuff that didn't make the release date... way to steel money from gamers, expansion packs would expand the game (I recall the expansion in Diablo 2 as a great example) But what would you know... Let's say they create this hole new adventure Y, and they want to sell it to us, for, I don't know, maybe 10 dolars... I would think it would be lame. If you don't think its lame, it's ok... but that's like your opinion men!

Kisses from Argentina, where buying anything in dollars is a pain in the ass.

It's mostly certain publishers who do that... Cutting off parts of the game to sell them separately as DLC...

If they make a new module and not just a series of quests, kind of like the Black Pits but instead of just being an arena it's a whole game, that is what DLC more or less should be like.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Then we can be thankful that Baldur's Gate already exists. The team won't be releasing the game with bits of the original missing. If they want to get some more money by adding extras, more power to them.
  • FlashheartFlashheart Member Posts: 125
    Whether one loves or hates the concept of DLCs - at least it guarantees that the developer continues to work on the game. This usually means that games with DLCs get more developer patches/fixes/attention than games without DLCs. Unless the game is highly moddable in the first place of course. Then the community usually does a better job of issuing fixes. :)

Personally I love games with DLCs. I know that the game will be looked after whilst DLCs are being planned and released...and I don't have to buy them if I don't want to. WIN!
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    I'll gladly pay for any extra stuff Beamdog puts out for BG(2):EE. Specially considering we already got stuff like Baeloth and 5 new kits for free. Most companies wouldn't think twice before charging for that content.

Wait, are we still bashing them because the patch is taking long?
    Scooter
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Cerevant said:

If/when Adventure Y happens, it will need to be designed, developed, and tested first.

Oh boy. That sounded like Adventure Y is at a much earlier stage than I had thought.

Also, I don't like the usage of the expression "if/when" there. I thought it was a pretty firm "when".
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    I think it has been pretty clear for a long while that there wont be any DLC for BG:EE until BG2:EE is out. That means I wouldn't expect any during this year.
    Moomintroll
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2013
    I actually don't hate dlc. I just don't dig it that much... that's all... also, english is not my first lenguage, so things I write might sound different in my head than in yours.
    perius
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    Shiny Weapon +1 for $5 ---> Bad DLC

There are good DLCs and bad DLCs, it all depends on the balance between price and content.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    guciomir said:

If Adventure Y is still at early development stage, please make it integral part of BGEE like Tales of Sword Coast expansion. Standalone adventures , like Black Pits are not as interesting.

Well, due to the contractual restrictions of not touching existing the game world all that much... I think standalone adventures might work better since there they can more freely do things. While adding to the game might be more interesting, I would rather play an adventure the developers can fully create things in and that all the NPCs react to everything properly...
  • Match451Match451 Member Posts: 54
    guciomir said:

However, I hoped that Black Pits will be integral part of BG1 and not random adventure outside the game. Let's me rephrase this, I am not really interested in 2-3 hours standalone small games based on infinity engine. I care about BG1 getting better/bigger.

So if devs have a choice right now, I really hope that they will not make standalone new game, but instead "extend BG1" with new adventure which by accident is the name of BGEE.

Given the premise of black pits, I'm pretty glad it wasn't included in the main game. I found it a fun distraction for testing characters and growth, but it IMHO it doesn't fit in BG in terms of story or balance. I'm all for new dungeons and story in BG though, so long as it fits well.

However, you bring up an interesting point. I really liked Neverwinter Nights for its module support, which made a lot of user-made content easily available. I don't know what kind of support BG or BG:EE has for user-made standalone adventures, but I'd think streamlining installation and including the editor with BG:EE could produce a lot of interesting content, increasing the popularity of the game and its community.
    ItomonMoomintrollThunder
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    Dee said:

Clearing up a few misconceptions:

If we aren't announcing something, it's because it's either in flux or because it hasn't been approved yet. Approvals need to come from several sources before something can be announced, and this can take quite a while.

We don't want to announce something and then have to do a 180 on what we've said previously because something changed after we posted. We want to be absolutely sure what we tell you is true, to the best of our abilities.

But you did exactly that with the movies.
    http://www.baldursgate.com/enhancements.en.html
    "All of the Baldur's Gate cinematics have been replaced with beautifully hand painted animated cinematics, directed by Nat Jones."

Half of the movies are missing, and the new ones are too static and lacking of every funny and horror-like moments. And you are still advertising this.

And the other:
    "The Enhanced Edition of Baldur's Gate has been given an extensive overhaul. The original source code has been cleaned up and improved, sped up, and now has support for modern platforms. Over 400 issues from the original game have been found and fixed."
    I see more bugs here now as 400.

I hope this misleading informations vanish from your page, but wish they could remain because they were true. Thanks for reading.
    ArcalianBlashPalanthis
  • Aron740Aron740 Member Posts: 153
    Dee said:

@Sese79
    We've talked about this already, in multiple threads on the forum. The cinematics note on the page is an error that will be rectified the next time we update it. You said you understood this, so I don't know what it is you're hoping to achieve here.

He/she probably just wanted to express anger at something he/she does not like, though I must say that rectifying something like that should be on very high priority that should surely have been fixed long ago!

I for one likes them since the 3d movies does not suit a 2d(ish) game and I love the dark artstyle(If you are close to the one who made them, yell that he/she is awesome! And as a reminder that person surely deserves a coffee?)

And If I might throw in a question: I can't load any saves right now does that mean that the upcoming patch is poking at my game asking to be downloaded, ooor is this something messy on my end ;)?
    Adul
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Probably something messy on your end. Shoot me an email ( support@baldursgate.com ) and we'll take a look.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I agree with @Aron740 that changing the note about the cinematics should be high priority. This issue has been brought your (not personally yours, but Overhaul Games's) attention shortly after release, and yet in over 4 months nothing has changed (or more accurately, it has been removed once, but later it was put back on). Changing that page should take no longer than 20 minutes + whatever time you need to get the necessary permissions, which should be considerably less than 4 months.

I understand @Sese79's impatience, and I don't think he/she should be scolded for expressing it. If anything, Overhaul Games should exercise more empathy regarding this issue, in my humble opinion. After all, some of your customers were deceived by the careless promise in question.
    Sese79
    edited June 2013
    We don't update the website every day; but you can be certain that this will be addressed the next time it gets updated. We're not sure how that note got put back in, but it wasn't intentional.
  • ThunderThunder Member Posts: 157
    Updating the note should be a matter of just a flew clicks, no? I'm not sure why it has to wait for the next website update.
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    edited June 2013
    Dee said:

We don't update the website every day; but you can be certain that this will be addressed the next time it gets updated. We're not sure how that note got put back in, but it wasn't intentional.

"The next time it gets updated" ? Does this mean "soon" like, in a few months, or maybe next year ?

As everybody is saying here, updating the website is just three clicks away.
    This IS a priority because until you update it, this page on the cinematics is just lying to customers...

A lawful good company shouldn't do that. But maybe you've shifted to Chaotic Evil ?

• LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    edited June 2013
    It's never just three clicks. ;) Be nice if it was, though!
    Actually, what I meant was "When someone has a minute to do it."

The entire team is pretty busy. But I'll see if I can put someone in a headlock.
  • SchopenhauerSchopenhauer Member Posts: 36
    Better not release the update close to the E3 and the aftershock. There might be to little media coverage. The update should deserve an audience.
  • FlashheartFlashheart Member Posts: 125
    Not sure if this has been answered, but will the new renderer (coming with the patch) address the problems of a disappearing hardware cursor in Windows Vista?
This discussion has been closed.