Skip to content

Ask Us Anything!

DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
Hello intrepid adventurers!

We are aware that communication from the team has not been as organized as it should be. We post regularly on the forums, but if you’re new to the area it’s not always practical to go through every post in every thread looking for answers. We’re going to try to improve that, and this thread is the first step toward that. Ask any questions you like--about the game, about the developers, about something else entirely--and if it’s within our power to answer them, we will.

Any questions that we are unable to answer (due to contract limitations, or simply because we don’t want you to know how many gallons of Mountain Dew we drink in a given work day), we will try to communicate that as well.

All of the questions we answer will be posted in a separate thread. Yes, even the silly ones. We will also try to post answers to questions from elsewhere on the forums, so continue to discuss things where you like. You can find the centralized "FAQ" thread HERE.

I look forward to hearing about what you’re most interested in knowing. I can’t promise that we’ll answer every question--we have to develop the game at some point, after all--and I can’t promise that all of our answers will satisfy everyone’s curiosity (sometimes it’s good to leave a little mystery), but I think this will be a good way to get things rolling.
Post edited by Dee on
PeccaChildofBhaal599HerrderGezeitenMessiNecdilzorWigglesAdulEntropyXIIdarrenkuomlnevesemungomunkEleutherosShinZafiroAnduinScooterKilivitzkilleahTroodon80georgelappiesLeoNegusermoCrevsDaaklolien

Comments

• ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    That's cool :)

I was wondering about adventure y. It sounds like it is supposed to be a section that lets us live our capture by irenicus. Can anything be said about the adventure and when we will be able to play it?
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    What about sunrise? What about rain? What about all the things that you said you were to gain..?
    lolien
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Will the Ascension mod be implemented in BG2EE, and how exactly?

Since you guys hired DavidW will SCS be somehow implemeted in BGEE and BG2EE, and again little details would be nice. :)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447

That's cool :)

I was wondering about adventure y. It sounds like it is supposed to be a section that lets us live our capture by irenicus. Can anything be said about the adventure and when we will be able to play it?

We can't go into specifics just yet, but it will be fairly substantial. Work on Adventure Y is still in the pre-production phase, so I wouldn't expect to see anything about it until BG2EE is released.
    Messi said:

Will the Ascension mod be implemented in BG2EE, and how exactly?

I don't have anything specific yet about our plans for Ascension, or how it would be implemented.
    Messi said:

Since you guys hired DavidW will SCS be somehow implemeted in BGEE and BG2EE, and again little details would be nice. :)

We are planning to incorporate elements of SCS at some point; it's just a matter of making sure it works flawlessly. We've been working with David to determine the best way to handle it so that it doesn't needlessly challenge new players, while still offering something more substantial for veterans.
    ChildofBhaal599
  • ManBearPigManBearPig Member Posts: 34
    Are any changes planned for any of the new kits, specifically the DD? Ie, breath weapon bugs or altered class perks

Are any changes planned for any of the new kits, specifically the DD? Ie, breath weapon bugs or altered class perks

The patch we're polishing right now will address a lot of the issues with the new kits we introduced. We don't have any current plans to rebalance the kits, but we may take another look later on.
  • NeoDragonNeoDragon Member Posts: 169
    edited June 2013
    I've got a question regarding the localizations of BG:EE (and especially the german one).

Will

- the "old" voice-overs from BG1 and
    - the (some time age recorded) voice-overs for the new content and
    - the latest tlk

be part of the coming update ?

EDIT: There was nothing mentioned in the "patch description thread", that's why I'm asking.

EDIT 2: Sorry if that question has been asked before somewhere.
  • ThunderThunder Member Posts: 157
    edited June 2013
    Will it at any point be possible to change the order in which we make the choices during character creation to make that process a lot more flexible? Right now the order in which we make choices is set (Gender -> Race -> Class -> etc.), but it would be a true enhancement to the game if this order of choices was made non-linear. That way ability score requirements for your class/kit would make LOT more sense too, in the sense that it'll be a requirement not a guaranteed minimum roll.

Anyway, I'm not expecting this to ever made possible. So I guess my true question is what the developing team's thoughts are in this regard?

ps: An excellent initiative to make this thread!
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Dee said:

the rowing machine

That's exactly what I wanted to hear.
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    Will you be able to give us specifics on what new kits may be added to BG:EE and BG2:EE? I think this would be a question many of us would like an answer to. Perhaps by way of a poll you could ask the fans to choose their favourites and go from there? It would prevent many restarts I would think.

I'm still holding out on starting my fighter/mage, just in case you bring Bladesinger out as a class in the future =)
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I have so many questions, but I'm not sure what answers to expect.

1) What is really happening with the translation teams? In particular, the Japanese (nihongo) translation seems to have stalled; there are other languages of import, as well (no surprise there).

2) Can the bow to sword/shield swap fix (a la IWD) ever make its way to BG:EE (as in - is it technically possible or is it a hard-coded issue)? This would by my #1 hope for enhancement, really!

3) Why is a raven like a writing desk?

4) Are additional voice sets going to happen (as part of BG:EE or added when BG2:EE comes on line?

5) Should we expect BG:EE to become F2P like everything else, with a real world auction system and, perhaps, automatic anti-bad behavior bans? (/sarcasm)

6) How close is the mythical 'patch' from being reality?

7) Can frame rate FPS be added to options for those that want something other than 30?

8) The most important: Is EA buying Overhaul, too?
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    This thread!!!!

I understand some of this might not be able to be answered due to contract limitations... but...

Is the match-making service to be implemented in patch v.2015?
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,174
    How does one loose art assets?
    Syntia13WolkFredjoCrevsDaak
  • viaderviader Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 875
    @reedmilfam
    1.) Polish version check on font. It will be 8 month :)
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    A follow-up to Phillip Daigle's confirmation of a fourth new NPC for BG2:EE: will this be a full-fledged character along the lines of Dorn, Neera and Rasaad, or an "easter egg" party member like Baeloth?
  • masterdesbaxtermasterdesbaxter Member Posts: 51
    Will the new patch allow the game to work properly with Intel integrated graphics cards?

(This might be blatantly obvious to those who have paid more attention to the announcements and discussions than I, so forgive me if it's already been answered twenty times!)
    edited June 2013
    Will the new patch allow the game to work properly with Intel integrated graphics cards? @masterdesbaxter

Yes. Or more specifically, the new renderer will. It may not solve all performance issues--if your computer is from 1985, you might want to stick to Math Blaster.

And don't be afraid to ask questions even if they seem obvious; there's no judgment here (except from the monkey).
    NecdilzorCrevsDaak
  • mungomunkmungomunk Member Posts: 63
    edited June 2013
    Q&A is truly great. Thank you guys.

I am about to start a new game, but was wondering if I should wait until the patch is released since im not a big fan of restarting :). Meaning: do some changes need a completely new game to take effect?
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    edited June 2013
    Will it be possible to resurrect Yoshima (seems unlikely, but worth asking)? If not, will there be a pure thief NPC available?

Spoiler-tagged. ~Dee
    @mungomunk
    Some of the changes will require a restart, yes; broken quests (such as Firebead's Identify scroll in Candlekeep), for instance, will only be fixed in a new game. Other changes will take effect regardless, but to get the most out of the patch you'll probably want a new game.
    mungomunkNecdilzor
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Regarding the druid experience table and the 2 big experience jumps between levels 13-15 . Do you have any plans on addressing this in BG2EE and if so how? (like are you going to be increasing the number of levels past 31 or are you just going to make it take more experience to get to each level after level 10?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Will the 2 baldur's EE's link together so you can play them "seamlessly"? I know Trent mentioned on twitter at least working on this or thinking about this many moons ago.
  • JarvisJarvis Member Posts: 8
    Is there any chance of having more types of weapons in BG2EE? say like 2 handed axes or Hammers and make the barbarian more different from the berserker say like a buff to the group?
  • guciomirguciomir Member Posts: 13
    1. Adventure Y. Is it planned to be standalone adventure like Black Pits or will it be incorporated into existing game like new NPCs or Durlag Tower etc?
    2. Do you plan to add more content to BGEE apart from adventure Y? I mean content like NPCs, quests, items, areas, monsters, spells. Free or paid DLC, does not matter right now
    3. Are you able to support somehow BG1NPC mod? I am one of many people who really wait for this mod before starting playing BGEE. Can you somehow "improve" existing NPC by adding new quests , banters etc ?
    4. Long time ago, when BGEE was delayed for the first time, I remember reading announcement that those who preordered game already, will get some extra bonus. What was it?
    5. Is it possible for you to add kits to some existing NPCs?
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    I really, really would like to meet BG NPCs like Alora, Branwen or Xan in Baldur's Gate 2.
    Time ago I read that it is not possible, but I cannot understand why. These NPCs were not in Shadows of Amn or Throne of Bhaal, so developing their return would not been against your contract limitations (or so I guess).
    Since I am curious, what BG NPCs would you like to see again in Athkatla?
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    I've had a dream. In this dream, I was playing BG:EE in English, when my niece unexpectedly dropped by. I then saved my game, went back to main menu screen, unchecked the box that said 'English', checked the box saying 'Polish', then sat back and let my niece go on an adventure which I didn't need to translate for her.
    Is my dream ever going to come true?
    lolien
  • EleutherosEleutheros Member Posts: 70
    Are you giving any thought to adding voice-communication to the multiplayer on the ipad (e.g. like the ipad app for the cardgame Dominion) ?
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    1. Will we have french voices in the next patch ? If not do you have any estimation on a date ?
    2. Will we be able to play BGEE and BG2EE as one game (like BGT) or do we will have to wait for a BGTEE ?
This discussion has been closed.