Skip to content

Looking for creative input

mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
I've decided to write a mod of a character with low intelligence and low charisma and high wisdom.

The problem I'm facing is character development. I have some good ideas, but before I do anything concrete, I figured that I'd send out to the almighty internet for ideas.

I am NOT interested in writing a character that fits the most common interpretation of these mental stats, that is quiet (low cha) and simple (low int) but filled with insight (high wis), like Valygar or a soft-spoken monk-type (the grass is always greener on the other side, my-son).

Any feedback would be awesome!

Also, I wasn't sure if this was the proper place for this post. I didn't know if it should be modding, role-playing, or off-topic. If an administrator could move this discussion to the most appropriate location (if applicable), I would be grateful.

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Just a quick question, how do you get Valygar of all people to fit that description?
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    @SionIV Unmodded Valygar...? I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but how does he not fit the description of quiet, simple, and insightful?

Valygar rarely says anything, and when it does it's usually simple and too the point. He rarely has good comebacks to the other PCs, he usually just tries to deflect attention away from himself. But he has good insight, such as when he questions the possibility of his ancestor's redemption. As for his intelligence, I'm not saying he's a simpleton. He's just simple, or, if you prefer, average. He doesn't scheme like Edwin (18 int), and his ignorance is not obvious like Minsc (8 Int).

But that's kind of off topic.

@SionIV, Any feedback about alternative personalities for a character with the following possible stats Int 8, Wis 17, Cha 7.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Half-orc shaman - Ex leader of a tribe perhaps. No formal education and anti-human society half-orc.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited June 2013
    The reason is that valygar is quite intelligent. The whole story with his family and the wizards, the whole feel to it when you meet him in the hut at Umar hills. He is the silent broody type that is wise and insightful, but he is not what i would call a character with low intelligence.

I would say Valygar is more intelligent than Anomen and they are sharing that 10 in intellect. I would also think he would atleast be equal to cend when you look at the dialogues and such (Cernd has 12).

I have a feeling that he should have had a higher intelligent than what he does, with the whole mage hunting and everything.

And i'm having a hard time comming up with a personality that would fit those stats. I'm thinking mostly Drepping (BG1) the man guarding the cow in candlekeep. He isn't the most charming person and not the brightest (He isn't stupid either, rather average) but he has the spirit and the way he talks seems quite wise.

I really don't know to be honest. That low charisma and intelligent with that high wisdom is something that is giving me a hard time figuring out. I would understand with 13-14 in wisdom but 17? I'm curious to how this will go and i'm going to be following this thread for sure.

[Edited] : I found someone that fits those stats perfectly. Sten from Dragon Age.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    ajwz said:

Half-orc shaman - Ex leader of a tribe perhaps. No formal education and anti-human society half-orc.

Shouldn't be an ex leader due to low charisma, but you are in the right direction. Perhaps the daughter of the orc leader and shaman who is forcing her into exile due to her inability to lead the tribe. Sending her on a spiritual quest, that any one with a little bit of intelligence would know wouldn't be able to complete. Such as a missionary of Gruumsh sent to preach and spread his beliefs to a halfling village and can only return once a halfling is blessed with his acceptance (IE a halfling becomes a priest of Gruumsh)

Perosnally, I don't think orc or half orc tribes would select their leaders based off charisma
  • ImperatorImperator Member Posts: 154
    Perhaps a slightly mentally disabled character, who sees the world as a child would, as in he/she has a strong sense of justice and fairness, and often thinks that adults are mean and stupid. He would call evil NPCs doodoo heads.
    A highly devoted evil priest of Ghaunadaur
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Another option is a person who constantly puts his foot in his/her mouth. They have the insight (high wisdom; "My good friend can't talk to women. I guess it's because he's selfconcious about his belly I bet") but can't articulate it in a constructive manner (Low charisma; "Talking to women is easy once you're not so fat anymore mate!").

Low charisma can mean a lot of things; either a natural disposition to being an ass and making people hate you, being a shy person who doesn't like attention or someone who is talented at saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. As long as the general baseline is "You don't want this person speaking publicly or leading a group", it'll usually come down to low charisma one way or the other.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Imperator said:

Perhaps a slightly mentally disabled character, who sees the world as a child would, as in he/she has a strong sense of justice and fairness, and often thinks that adults are mean and stupid. He would call evil NPCs doodoo heads.

lol, that is kind of where I was going. Although I was kind of thinking the low intelligence might also mean a bad memory.
    edited June 2013
    SionIV said:

The reason is that valygar is quite intelligent. The whole story with his family and the wizards, the whole feel to it when you meet him in the hut at Umar hills. He is the silent broody type that is wise and insightful, but he is not what i would call a character with low intelligence.

I would say Valygar is more intelligent than Anomen and they are sharing that 10 in intellect. I would also think he would atleast be equal to cend when you look at the dialogues and such (Cernd has 12).

I have a feeling that he should have had a higher intelligent than what he does, with the whole mage hunting and everything.

And i'm having a hard time comming up with a personality that would fit those stats. I'm thinking mostly Drepping (BG1) the man guarding the cow in candlekeep. He isn't the most charming person and not the brightest (He isn't stupid either, rather average) but he has the spirit and the way he talks seems quite wise.

I really don't know to be honest. That low charisma and intelligent with that high wisdom is something that is giving me a hard time figuring out. I would understand with 13-14 in wisdom but 17? I'm curious to how this will go and i'm going to be following this thread for sure.

[Edited] : I found someone that fits those stats perfectly. Sten from Dragon Age.

I've never played dragon age. I don't know anything about Sten. Could you perhaps describe him?

I've always seen Valygar's reaction to the cowled wizards based on Wisdom, and a lack of knowledge. For example, he doesn't like magic because of how it corrupted his ancestor (Wis). His plan to sneak into the planar sphere it is also wisdom based--an intelligent character may figure out how it could be useful, but Valygar knows that, even if there are benefits to the planar sphere, the risk of the lure of power makes the sphere dangerous (Wis). He thinks that his family has been "cursed with wizards" in his family line, a belief that comes from a lack of knowledge (Int) about the benefits of magic. But he's also correct because members of his family have used magical power in evil ways (Wis).

I'm not saying Valygar is stupid, he's just average--the intelligence of a commoner. I agree that Anomen is a complete idiot. But that is just a different interpretation of his stats. Personally, I think Anomen's charisma should be 4. That would make everything about him make sense.
    deltago said:

ajwz said:

Shouldn't be an ex leader due to low charisma, but you are in the right direction. Perhaps the daughter of the orc leader and shaman who is forcing her into exile due to her inability to lead the tribe. Sending her on a spiritual quest, that any one with a little bit of intelligence would know wouldn't be able to complete. Such as a missionary of Gruumsh sent to preach and spread his beliefs to a halfling village and can only return once a halfling is blessed with his acceptance (IE a halfling becomes a priest of Gruumsh)

I like the thought about being sent on a quest that no one expects her to complete. That is a good idea about the halfling being converted, lol!
    ajwz said:

A highly devoted evil priest of Ghaunadaur

I'm looking for a good character. I haven't chosen a class yet, but I am thinking human.
    Drugar said:

Another option is a person who constantly puts his foot in his/her mouth. They have the insight (high wisdom; "My good friend can't talk to women. I guess it's because he's selfconcious about his belly I bet") but can't articulate it in a constructive manner (Low charisma; "Talking to women is easy once you're not so fat anymore mate!").

Low charisma can mean a lot of things; either a natural disposition to being an ass and making people hate you, being a shy person who doesn't like attention or someone who is talented at saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. As long as the general baseline is "You don't want this person speaking publicly or leading a group", it'll usually come down to low charisma one way or the other.

Lol! I like these thoughts too!
    edited June 2013

hmm... *-)

low charisma - shy, autistic, hyper, insecure?

low intelligence - doesn't notice everything (e.g. if people are lying), can't solve riddles

high wisdom - makes good decisions with what they know ('rather than using our knowledge that the momma wyvern has gone out hunting, why don't we play it safe and avoid raiding her cave altogether?')

Good thoughts about the wisdom. I don't really want to make an autistic character because I would never want to offend anyone with autism or autistic family members. Also, I find that the more input I get, the more I'm leaning to a silly or goofy character.

Edit: but autistic certainly is something I hadn't thought about. Thanks for the ideas!!
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    ajwz said:

Perosnally, I don't think orc or half orc tribes would select their leaders based off charisma

Sure they would, but it would be subconsciously. They may assume the strongest warrior should be their leader. But how do you know which one is the strongest? A tribe member would have to have confidence (CHR) in their ability to stand up and fight the current leader. He would also have to be able to intimidate (CHR) other tribe members to thwart them from challenging him.

deltago said:

ajwz said:

I like the thought about being sent on a quest that no one expects her to complete. That is a good idea about the halfling being converted, lol!
    I chose halfling because you have 2 options to add dialog to this modded character; Monty and the halfling village. If the Half-orc is dumb as bricks, she could also try to convert Tiax who is actually a gnome, but her arrogance and low wisdom makes her not know the difference.

If you want a good aligned character, you can do a child that was lost in the wilderness but found away to survive. They wouldn't know any customs or proper behaviors (CHR) or have any formal training (INT) but they'd have learnt from their surrounding and environment on how to survive (WIS). Cliched (tarzan), but fits. Could be a ranger.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    deltago said:

Sure they would, but it would be subconsciously. They may assume the strongest warrior should be their leader. But how do you know which one is the strongest? A tribe member would have to have confidence (CHR) in their ability to stand up and fight the current leader. He would also have to be able to intimidate (CHR) other tribe members to thwart them from challenging him.

Or, the strongest orc kills the previous leader and thus becomes leader, but he is unable to present the image of one who can hold on to power nor intimidate the other orcs enough. As such, he will constantly have to fight to remain in power because he doesn't have the ability to bully the orcs into obedience.

@mashedtaters
    Personally, I'd suggest against a simple childlike "evildoers are doodooheads" type character. We already have a similar simpleton (Minsc) and in my opinion, this particular kind of low intelligence/charisma is the most overdone and cliché.
    Aside from that, any grown person who thinks like a child won't survive a day in the Forgotten Realms unless they're mentored and guarded by someone else. With the plethora of flesheating monsters, evil gods and deranged cults dealing with human sacrifice, someone who still believes there's candy in the back of the van has a very short lifespan.