Skip to content

Flind bar- better impelementation

lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
Flinds have special weapons named flind bars, in pnp, which disarm foes if they fail a save vs wands.
http://www.lomion.de/cmm/gnoll.php
In the game, their attacks force the victim a save vs wands, failure gives +2 thac0, which I think was supposed to be a cumulative penalty, but it is bugged and applied as a bonus thus actually making the target's thac0 better after getting hit.

My idea:On a failed save vs wands, the hit victims attacks/round should be set to zero for one round:this simulates the 'disarm' effect, the character has to spend a whole round trying to save and recover his weapon before being able to attack again. Actually making the target drop his weapon is too cumbersome, if it can ever be done within game engine rules? This will make flinds tougher as a group of them beating a target may make the target unable to hit them back.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    i like the idea. It gives the class a bit more of uniqueness.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I like this as a mod idea, but as a core implementation it makes flinds a MUCH more dangerous adversary.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited July 2013
    It is true it may make flinds much more dangerous but, save ws wands is an easy save (statistically equal to a save vs spell at +1) and maybe the 'zero attack rate' can be limited to half a round in duration. I edited the flind weapon with DLTCEP, really easy to do, just added an effect on hit that sets the attacks of the pre-target to zero for duration of 6 (may lower it to 3 if it is indeed too powerful) save ws wands negates, non-magical effect (so that magic resistance can't block it) Will have to test and see if they are much more deadly now.

And frankly, ghouls are more dangerous than flinds, because on a failed save on their hit, you are basically dead, especially on low levels where they can rip your characters to pieces in no time. You can get immunity to their paralysing touch via items and spells, though. When a flind disarms you you can retreat and run in circles for 1 round (to recover your weapon) and attack back.
  • BugratBugrat Member Posts: 118
    edited July 2013
    lunar said:

In the game, their attacks force the victim a save vs wands, failure gives +2 thac0, which I think was supposed to be a cumulative penalty, but it is bugged and applied as a bonus thus actually making the target's thac0 better after getting hit.

@lunar So are you saying that this is currently implemented in the game? I had no idea that Flinds had some special debuff. (broken or not)
    Post edited by Bugrat on
  • BugratBugrat Member Posts: 118
    edited July 2013
    double post
    Post edited by Bugrat on
    @Bugrat It is. After a flind hits you, check your Thac0 from character record screen base thac0 is +2 now for a little while. It is bugged and actually gives you +2 bonus, I think devs intended it to be -2 penalty but got confused with the thac0 +/- bonus calculation. Ofcourse, if your character makes a save vs wands there is no effect. If combat dice rolls are turned on from the options menu you will notice your character rolling save ws wands when a flind hits him, this negates the effect.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited July 2013
    @lunar I will check that thac0 error thing and if it is still the case I will report it.

Edit: Ugh... it actually applies a +4 bonus to thac0. We should fix that...
    Tresset said:

@lunar I will check that thac0 error thing and if it is still the case I will report it.

Edit: Ugh... it actually applies a +4 bonus to thac0. We should fix that...

Umm yeah now that I think about it this can be a bug report as well..