carsomyr 50% mr
    ring 10%
    neck 5%
    cloak 25%
    5% lum machine

why you should reequip magic resistance items
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited July 2013
    I believe that's due to Carsomyr, which apparently was originally supposed to SET your MR to 50% instead of granting a 50% bonus. Why it stacks with Lum (I assume it's Lum) is a mystery... more awkward coding probably.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366

I believe that's due to Carsomyr, which apparently was originally supposed to SET your MR to 50% instead of granting a 50% bonus. Why it stacks with Lum (I assume it's Lum) is a mystery... more awkward coding probably.

it sets on 50 + 5 from lum on game load
    but it doesn't set it like resist magic spell from cleric so i don't know
    maybe some PnP refference?
    It could very well be that. Holy Avengers are a "thing" in PnP afaik, so they probably have all sorts of lore attached to them (like granting the power to dispel by touch, though only if it was cast by evil beings, or something like that). As I said, I remember distinctly reading somewhere that Carsomyr is supposed to set MR to a fixed value but is not entirely working like that in BG. I think there might be mod fixes for that out there, too, or you could just do it manually as you do.
    Let's Play Baldur's Gate 2 077 tactics scsii insane Asylum Irenicus Bohdi Imoen Lich Dace Sontan Bhaal Dream
    edited July 2013
    boring
    Let's Play Baldur's Gate 2 078 tactics scsii insane Asylum kobold's altar ruhk pit fiend yuan-ti
  • FredSRichardsonFredSRichardson Member Posts: 465
    Neat thread, I have to try the SCS II mod!

Is R/C still a pretty powerful class? That used to be my favorite. I dual the flail of ages and crom faeyr. The druid+cleric IIRC, the druid + cleric spells were really nice.
    I am currently testing a R/C, it certainly performs quite nicely in the early and mid game. Have to see about endgame power. Druid spells are interesting, still haven't seen their full potential though.

Neat thread, I have to try the SCS II mod!

Is R/C still a pretty powerful class? That used to be my favorite. I dual the flail of ages and crom faeyr. The druid+cleric IIRC, the druid + cleric spells were really nice.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/17960/powergaming-party-bg2-tobnpc-and-multiplayer/p4
    ~thread

r/c is v. good
    r/c don't need crom because he will buff easily for 25/25/25
    boring
    Let's Play Baldur's Gate 2 079 tactics scsii insane Asylum Statue of Riddles
    edited July 2013
    pretty boring
    Let's Play Baldur's Gate 2 080 tactics scsii insane Asylum Bohdi
    Let's Play Baldur's Gate 2 081 tactics scsii insane assylum Irenicus battle Lonok the Sane murderers brynnlaw Githyanki Suhagin City
    well this is not really LP because this is bugged fight i don't know why
    tried this mod even on clean BG+TOB+PATCH but result is the same
    and this is a shambe because this fight is really hard

Let's Play Baldur's Gate 2 082 tactics scsii insane improved asylum Breudayael party bugged
    easy
    Let's Play Baldur's Gate 2 083 tactics scsii insane improved asylum mod umber hulks trap and liches
    Let's Play Baldur's Gate 2 084 tactics scsii insane Suhagin City riddle of the imps Spectator
    Let's Play Baldur's Gate 2 085 tactics scsii insane underdark victims of imprisonment Alchra Diagott
    boring
    Let's Play Baldur's Gate 2 086 tactics scsii insane underdark beholders
    Let's Play Baldur's Gate 2 087 tactics scsii insane underdark mind flyers
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

Maybe I should give Valen a try again. It sounds like there's been some updates since I last played it, many, many, MANY years ago... back then she used to be cheese incarnate and completely OP, I guess things have changed! She's definitely an interesting character and well implemented (like the non-resurrection, not being able to touch the Mace of Disruption, defaulting to evil choices etc.).

The best way to avoid the cheese is to have her use normal weapons instead of the level draining claws.
    I used to do that, but iirc she's also immune to a TON of negative things, gains combat bonuses in darkness (i.e. every dungeon ever) and so on...

Haven't had time to give her another go, but it's definitely on the agenda.
    well having another near immortal god in the game of immortal gods (powergaming)is pretty OP again
    Well, afaik the mod has been/is being reworked to be less cheesy. I'm mainly interested in her from an RP standpoint, not powergaming. She does come with downsides, too... penalties in daylight, susceptibility to anti-undead effects, perma-death to name a few. I'd have to try the new version to tell how balanced it is.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    She is powerful but not nearly as powerful as say Edwin if you have her wield daggers or some other normal weapon. The penalties in daylight can be pretty severe. I mostly like her for the fact that I struggle to play an evil party that doesn't gives two rips about human decency and she forces the issue at times so it helps the RP for my evil party.
    Let's Play Baldur's Gate 2 088 tactics scsii insane underdark imprisoned mage
    Let's Play Baldur's Gate 2 089 tactics scsii insane ust natha arenas
    next will be epic battle of improved ust natha

Let's Play Baldur's Gate 2 090 tactics scsii insane ust natha phaere matron mother ardulace solaufein
  • 10thLich10thLich Member Posts: 99
    Do you plan to try to wipe out the Ust Natha defenses? Provided you've installed the improved ones of SCS II of course.

10th
    Pretty sure you can't actually wipe them out, they'll just keep spawning and spawning in increasing numbers until either your party or your PC dies.
  • DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    edited August 2013
    @zur312 can you post the statistics of some of the most overpowered items you can loot in planar sphere/improved assylum mods?
    And what about other rewards? I've seen that killing melanthrium (whatever the name) nets the party 1.5 million quest xp. It just seems an overkill. Are there other rewards like abilities or passive resistances?
  • 10thLich10thLich Member Posts: 99
    @Dexter
    Have a look at the setup.tra in the planarspheremod folder.

10th