Skip to content

Temporary fixes for bugs present in v2014

JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
Firebead won't give you the scroll: fix here (thanks to @Balquo; new game required)

Dwarves and halflings have incorrect maximum stats: fix here

Laurel won't speak to you: fix here (thanks to @Balquo and @Avenger_teambg)

Wyvern deaths cause crash: fix here (thanks to @Miloch)

Churning noise in E section of Baldur's Gate: unzip attachment and place contents in override folder (thanks to @aVENGER; will work on games where you have not yet reached this area)
AedanKilivitzhook71Cerevant[Deleted User]JuliusBorisovEcononAndreaColombosiril_danaSCARY_WIZARDMechRA

Comments

• CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    And folks, these are all paid Overhaul Games staff, so these updates are as official as you'll get before the next update.
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    Will the temporary fixes clash with the official patch when it's released?

I'm itching to start playing BG:EE as I have yet to do so. I have absolutely no problem waiting for the official patch, and I have always been skeptical about how temporary fixes and mods might effect my game in the future. Once I get into a game, I get heavily involved and wouldn't like restarting half way through.

Should I wait?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @EntropyXII It's always a good idea to uninstall any fixes or mods before updatling and then reinstall them later if necessary.
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    @mlnevese - Urgh.. uninstallationisms. I will be the first to admit i'm not very techno-savvy. I spent 2 hours yesterday inputting 6 sound sets using DLTCEP.
    edited May 2013
    @EntropyXII Soundsets and portraits are ok you don't have to remove them. Mods that change files such as dialog.tlk or bgee.sql should always be uninstalled before updating.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Jalily said:

Firebead won't give you the scroll: fix here (thanks to @Balquo; new game required)

Dwarves and halflings have incorrect maximum stats: fix here

Laurel won't speak to you: fix here (thanks to @Balquo and @Avenger_teambg)

Wyvern deaths cause crash: fix here (thanks to @Miloch)

Churning noise in E section of Baldur's Gate: unzip attachment and place contents in override folder (thanks to @aVENGER; will work on games where you have not yet reached this area)

Seriously? A new patch came out and these previously known and identified faults remain? I hope I'm misunderstanding and that these are fixed with Patch 2014.

At the risk of being called a troll, I bought this game so that I would not need to manually patch basic functionality. I greatly appreciate the ongoing work, and really hope the renderer works for my daughter's Intel™ chipset, but am increasingly frustrated.

elminsterTheGrapeTyphlosionbetoArsene_Lupin
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Actually, I think I am misunderstanding. 2014 fixes these problems and Imoen aka @Jalily is posting fixes for the interim. Anyway, hoping, as I'm holding off on playing the game ATM.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @reedmilfan v2014 is the one that's been out for the past few months. The next version will have a much higher number.
  • ermoermo Member Posts: 81
    edited June 2013
    @Jalily said:

@reedmilfan v2014 is the one that's been out for the past few months. The next version will have a much higher number.

Over 9000? ^^;
    sepotterHaHaCharade
    Not that high :)
    HaHaCharade
    But perhaps... SOON.
    franknozly
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Ok. Since @Jalily requested my bugfixes for the shadowdancer bugs to be posted here, and since the patch may not come out as soon as planed, I will post the link to the thread with my bugfixes. Those are the only reasons I post these here now.

Lets just be clear though on one thing: these bugfixes are NOT official bugfixes. I am NOT a developer (just a beta tester) and these fixes WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS IN THE NEXT PATCH. Even so, the problems these fixes cause in the next patch can be easily fixed with EE-Keeper so it shouldn't be too big a deal if you know what you are doing. So I urge you all to make sure that you READ THE ENTIRE ORIGINAL POST OF THE LINKED THREAD before you download!!!!

With all that being said here is the link:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/17862/tresset-s-shadowdancer-bugfixes-important-update
    [Deleted User]Troodon80
    edited July 2013
    @Tresset I had both your fixes and this thread added to the general modding guide a few days ago as well.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/15380/mod-and-modding-tutorials-quick-links/p1
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    Tresset
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Is there a mac file for the churning noise?
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Content fixes are cross platform. The override folder is found in the application bundle (the app for the game, *not* the launcher) in the Contents/Resources folder. For more details on modding the Mac app, check here.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    I'm pretty dense when it comes to these computer thingies, so apologies if the answers to my questions are obvious.

Regarding:
    mlnevese said:

@EntropyXII It's always a good idea to uninstall any fixes or mods before updatling and then reinstall them later if necessary.

By 'uninstall' I assume that you mean simply removing the fixes from the 'override' file?

Also, I noticed that I have "STARTARE.2DA" and "STARTBP.2DA" in my override file. I can't recall what these do, and don't remember putting them there. Should these also be removed before I install the future patch (assuming that it is released)?

By 'uninstall' I assume that you mean simply removing the fixes from the 'override' file?

For fixes you've installed by placing files into the override folder, yes. For weidu mods, run the .exe or setup .bat file that came with it and choose the uninstall option.

Also, I noticed that I have "STARTARE.2DA" and "STARTBP.2DA" in my override file. I can't recall what these do, and don't remember putting them there. Should these also be removed before I install the future patch (assuming that it is released)?

They're likely part of an XP-cap remover, especially if you also have XPCAP.2DA in there. You can leave them in if you want.
    Thrasymachus
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    Thanks very much!
  • BorsookBorsook Member Posts: 152
    I've put together all the fixes with a Weidu installer so that they can be easily uninstalled later

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2pwanob0xe76zkb/BGEE_FixPack.exe
    [Deleted User]Notepic4alnairJuliusBorisov
    edited July 2013
    Just keep in mind that my contribution also needs EEkeeper to repair the character after the fix is removed.

@Borsook perhaps it would be best if you took my SD fixes out of your DL if they are in there. I didn't bother to change the readme I included after I discovered the problem.

One of my greatest fears is that one day, after the patch comes out, people will come to the bug report section saying things like: "WTF MAN!?!?!? MY SHADOWDANCER HAS A BACKSTAB MULTIPLYER OF x1!!!!! HOW DID YOU GUYS SCREW THAT UP?!?!?!"
    Tresset said:

Just keep in mind that my contribution also needs EEkeeper to repair the character after the fix is removed.

@Borsook perhaps it would be best if you took my SD fixes out of your DL if they are in there. I didn't bother to change the readme I included after I discovered the problem.

One of my greatest fears is that one day, after the patch comes out, people will come to the bug report section saying things like: "WTF MAN!?!?!? MY SHADOWDANCER HAS A BACKSTAB MULTIPLYER OF x1!!!!! HOW DID YOU GUYS SCREW THAT UP?!?!?!"

Well, the patch may very well never come out, every fix is installed separately after asking the user, so if one doesn't want it can be skipped. If the patch does come out will try to automate character file patching is next version. :)
    @Borsook The part I am concerned about though is that Weidu does not give a warning about what will happen in regards to my fixes when the patch comes out, and neither does it explain how the issue can be fixed. If they download my fixes separately from the rest of the bunch they will almost certainly have read the warnings (at least that is my hope).
    Borsook said:

If the patch does come out will try to automate character file patching is next version. :)

Who will do that? The subject is missing from your sentence. Regardless, If you can make something that can do that I would really appreciate the help. Making such a thing is something beyond my current ability.
    Tresset said:

@Borsook The part I am concerned about though is that Weidu does not give a warning about what will happen in regards to my fixes when the patch comes out, and neither does it explain how the issue can be fixed. If they download my fixes separately from the rest of the bunch they will almost certainly have read the warnings (at least that is my hope).

Borsook said:

If the patch does come out will try to automate character file patching is next version. :)

Who will do that? The subject is missing from your sentence. Regardless, If you can make something that can do that I would really appreciate the help. Making such a thing is something beyond my current ability.
    I will :) Well, if overhaul did not change the files too much and the documentation we have works, writing a weidu code that will patch the files will be quite easy. Although since I don't have high hopes for the patch coming out I'm not going to do it yet.
    Tresset
  • KougaKouga Member Posts: 83
    Only reason I'm here right now is to see when the patch (or the beta) comes out.. ._.
    mungomunk
  • riyahhassettriyahhassett Member Posts: 59
    Are the hot fixes coming to ipad?
  • KhailKhail Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the hotfixes, personally the small bugs don't bother me all that much. I remember playing through the original and crashing left and right right after release.
    [Deleted User]alnair
  • taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 288
    Any reason why these can't all be integrated into a .2015 release?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @taltamir
    They'll be in this next patch, don't worry.
  • TalroshTalrosh Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2013
    Just started a game 2 days ago and started playing today. I encountered the Firebead bug and so i'm at risk of getting the other bugs as well.

Problem is it's explained to place the files it in the override folder but less experienced players of the game won't know where that is. ............just found a nice topic to explain it: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/18508/override-directory-locations

You might want to add that link to the top of this thread, I presume it's best to use the first option in that link.
    -How do I know these fixes are in effect?
    - Do I need to completly recreate the game after installing these fixes or Will all fixes be succesfully aplied if you never entered that area before in your current campaign?

- When will the new patch come out? Still soon or soon soon? :P
    -And i guess as a steam user I should probably turn of the Steam auto update if I use these fixes?
    Post edited by Talrosh on
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    Talrosh said:

Just started a game 2 days ago and started playing today. I encountered the Firebead bug and so i'm at risk of getting the other bugs as well.

Problem is it's explained to place the files it in the override folder but less experienced players of the game won't know where that is. ............just found a nice topic to explain it: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/18508/override-directory-locations

You might want to add that link to the top of this thread, I presume it's best to use the first option in that link.
    -How do I know these fixes are in effect?
    - Do I need to completly recreate the game after installing these fixes or Will all fixes be succesfully aplied if you never entered that area before in your current campaign?

- When will the new patch come out? Still soon or soon soon? :P
    -And i guess as a steam user I should probably turn of the Steam auto update if I use these fixes?

To answer your questions:
    1) you'll see the intended results in game
    2) they should be applied if you never entered that area but a restart wouldn't hurt. You'll have to decide based on where you are in your current game and the bug(s) you want squished.
    3) Soon-ish. Check out the patch progress here
    4) I would think you would want the auto update on