Skip to content

[Request] Unfinished business for BG:EE and BG2:EE

AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
edited June 2012 in Feature Requests
THE MODs:

BG1 Unfinished Business (link) and Unfinished Business (link) are two mods that restore game content that had been cut prior to release.

Former BioWare employees will surely remember that the reason for the cut was time constraints, though some contents might have been ditched out of sheer complexity or unfeasibility. Several lines of text from those missing contents ended up in the dialog.tlk file and there remained, utterly unused.

By restoring those lines and completing them with their own initative, modders released the Unfinished Business mods to tie loose ends and give a sense of completeness to the game (what with some joinable NPCs not having a side quest at all, while some others had two; or with unused locations that are there in the game, seemingly to no avail?).

THE REQUEST:

Please, do restore all content that was valid and had to be cut due to time constraints. Since most of it requires new areas, it can probably circumvent any contractual limitation to expanding original game content. All joinable NPCs deserve to have at least one side quest in BG2:EE, and loose ends should be tied in both games.

Additionally, please remove any unused/useless lines of text from the dialog.tlk file prior to the game release. Let us keep the game resources clean and orderly.

Comments

• KharadorKharador Member Posts: 215
    Hopefully they will not evade this MOD and add UB in the next BG: EE
  • StaglordStaglord Member Posts: 27
    edited June 2012
    @AndreaColombo Don't you think it would be hard for the dev's to get the original intent, or are you sugessting their own version of these quests?
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    @Staglord

I'm suggesting their own version of these quests :)
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    You don't even want to know what's in that mysterious vial... ;)
    edited June 2012
    Or do I? *duhn duhn duhn*
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Personal guess: Kobold urine and Elf sweat (hence, keeping Xan alive for squeezing him twice per day)

I've enjoyed the Unfinished Business mods, they added a lot of missed details to the game (Specificly Sarevok's expanded diary was an excellent read), I wouldn't mind seeing those done officially by the EE team.
  • technophobetechnophobe Member Posts: 68
    I hope they use restraint. Some of those restored quests are utter tripe.
  • davidj8580davidj8580 Member Posts: 20
    I would love to see all of the cut content restored to both games (especially the slavers/Twisted Rune connection).
  • William_ImmWilliam_Imm Member Posts: 72
    edited July 2012
    From a quick forum search, I see nobody has mentioned the Unfinished Business mods. This is shameful.

The Unfinished Business mods restore cut content from the game and ties up loose ends. There is one for each of the Infinity Engine games, and they should all be integrated fully.

A few examples: For BG1 they restore part of the Ice Island, adds a small quest with the missing vial, allows you to finish the Kagain caravan quest, adds some cut quests, and more.

Links:
    BG1
    BG2
    Icewind Dale
    PS:T (if that happens, include Ghostdog's UI mod and the rest of Qwinn's mods
    edited July 2012
    I made a request for UB in BG:EE and BG2:EE which can be found here ( @Tanthalas may want to merge threads, if he still has one instance of his "merge" spell memorized for the day ;-)).
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited July 2012
    Yes I do!

Merge complete.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    edited July 2012
    @Tanthalas

< Xan>Your grand show of power makes me feel...insignificant.< /Xan>
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Personally, I would be more interested in playing the devs' version of the cut quests, rather than to see a carbon copy of a mod I can already freely download and play.

However, slavishly implementing the existing mods is better than not to get any unfinished business actually finished.
    @Beamdogdevs : please listen to this guy.

• pablo200783pablo200783 Member Posts: 96
    Would like see things cut by Bioware from Thron of Bhall
    -Sarevok's remorse for Tamoko and Yoshimo
    -Mazzy's redemption of Korgan
    -The Cold Mistress in Saradush
    -The return of Yoshimo (not likely...)
    -Saemon disguising party as monks
    -More obvious clue for WK
    -Bounty hunters
    -Melissan turning your friends
    -Illasera's return
    -The yellow dragon and his eggs
    -Extended item descriptions
    -Cespenar's Flask
    source http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/300/request-unfinished-business-for-bgee-and-bg2ee
    Thron Bhall should give more contents and more fun.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    -Mazzy's redemption of Korgan
    -The return of Yoshimo (not likely...)
    -Melissan turning your friends
    -Illasera's return

@pablo200783, the others not so much, but these ones... ae you sure they're part of unfinshed business the devs meant to implement on the old game, cos the 4 above are pretty unlike to officially happen.
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    If I remember correctly, the developers mentioned that the enhanced version would tie up loose ends. I sincerely hope they do so even if it comes in a DLC.
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    Hopefully this isn't a problem with their contract since it was planned/meant to be in the game.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2012
    I am sure this has been discussed some before but I really wonder whether it's totally forbidden to use the known information or existing content and tying up the loose ends in the game?

Essentially what UB did for BG1 which was half bug-fixes and half tying up the most obvious oversights. Admittedly adding adding second level to Ice Island is probably too much but allowing the ore poison to be delivered or Tranzig and Branwen recognizing each other are pretty essential things in my opinion.

The condition that the existing quests cannot be modified would still be uphold. Adding/fixing broken or obviously missing option can hardly be considered modifying the quest.

Therefore I would really like to see most of the UB being in the vanilla EE because it is as essential as it gets really. If just one was allowed it would be this one (closely followed by Tweaks). Dev answer of this would be highly appreciated (or pointing to the answer if it was answered ever before).
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Pretty sure the answer is: No it won't be in the vanilla EE. It will probably be modded in pretty quickly though as it's popular for the very reasons you state ... it's essentially fixing oversights.

Unfortunately, their exceedingly specific, stupid contract states that even fixing oversights is too far. Yeah, kind of ridiculous.
  • pablo200783pablo200783 Member Posts: 96
    Do not understand this this mod is essential for BG, copyright mod to Black Isle not for modder it is part cut from before release in other hand may cause bugs we will see.
  • davidj8580davidj8580 Member Posts: 20
    They're not allowed to fix the game they're supposed to be fixing? What is the point of this "enhanced" version, then?
  • LuciusDeiLuciusDei Member Posts: 31
    edited December 2012

They're not allowed to fix the game they're supposed to be fixing? What is the point of this "enhanced" version, then?

This is a very good question. The contractual limitations are horrible; they're so restricting. In my humble opinion, I feel like they should've either kept negotiating longer and harder to get more freedom, or just not bothered at all and said: "if we can't do it the way we feel it needs to be done, we won't do it at all." A game, with a reputation like Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 shouldn't be done in half measures.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    It is, IMO, the single most visible and problematic drawback to the entire EE project: those contractual limitations are apparently specific to story-related content. Fixing 400 bugs is perfectly fine, but fixing Kagain's quest or Ice Island goes too far. And I expect the Twisted Rune in BG2 will similarly be left incomplete.

As a result, a game that marketed itself in part as not requiring the lengthy installation of mods... will still require certain mods to enhance/fix its story. Disappointing, but what can you do?
  • Aegir_FellwoodAegir_Fellwood Member Posts: 81
    edited December 2012
    @LuciusDei Ok, but if they had done that you would probably not be discussing this right now, because there would then likely not be any BGEE ;)
    edited December 2012

@LuciusDei Ok, but if they had done that you would probably not be discussing this right now, because there would then likely not be any BGEE ;)

I'd rather wait a year, two years, three years for an ultimate enhanced edition of a game I cherish and adore. And if they never made it ever because they couldn't get the contract it needs, at least there would be the original without a mark on its pristine record with a half-measured product.

Listen, I love the original games (BG2 moreso), and I have been looking forward to this EE since it's announcement, knowing full well their contractual limitations. I shrugged it off, thinking that even though they couldn't touch much of the original story, it would hopefully still be improved upon. I don't care about bugs, or issues like that because they will be fixed. I am enjoying the EE; I've had no issues so far with any bugs and such, and they have put in some nice additions, but it just isn't all it could be, that's all. It could have been so much more, much more than what it is. I think Overhaul have meant well, and tried hard, and done well to put out the product, with the limitations they had, but if I had my wish I would've prefered a bigger company, with more resources and money to take on this project. Heck, even giving players the option to donate, in a Kickstart fashion, towards making the project better would have been a nice idea. I would gladly donate money for a better game.
    @LuciusDei Fair enough, and I understand why you want it to be as perfect as possible, but I've never played it with that, or any other mod, and I enjoyed it very much any way, so imo it doesn't matter much.
    I guess I just don't see it as a dealbreaker, and besides it could be that it's something they can and will "fix" later on.
    @Aegir_Fellwood Yeah, they can, which is hopefully something they will do. I don't want to sound ungrateful to Overhaul, because I appreciate the hard work they've put in to the game, and the amount of new popularity the BG series has gained.

I just hope that the BG2:EE project will benefit from the feedback they've got from this product. I'm not overly bothered about BG1, it was BG2 that really captured my heart, so I really want to see the second Enhanced Edition really be a beautifully produced product.
    @LuciusDei Well you don't seem ungrateful at all, quite the contrary actually ;)