Skip to content

If it had been the other way round ...

Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
... and Irenicus had killed Jaheira and left Khalid alive, how long do you think Khalid would leave it before he tried to start a romance with your player character? And what kind of chat up lines would he use?

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Uhh... I think it's more likely that he'd fall for Viconia rather than the player character. Giving his more masochistic role in his last relationship and all that.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Kahlid attempting to seduce Viconia? Now that I would like to see.

I can't imagine her giving him much play. Unless of course she maliciously decides to make him her love puppet and so ensures that Jaheira spends eternity spinning in her grave ...
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    This was something that always bugged me. The Jaheira romance is in pretty bad taste, in my opinion. For starters, I always thought of her as quite a bit older than CHARNAME. When you meet them in FAI, they talk about being "old friends" with Gorion, which sounds to me like they knew him before he adopted CHARNAME.

Anyway, what bothers me more is how quickly she moves on. Of course, it's a function of the game length of the game, but I think it would have made more sense to have a "deeper friendship" option than a romance. I mean, at MOST the playthrough of BG2 can take a few in-game months, right? And that's assuming you rest a LOT. Seems a bit fast for her to be jumping into bed with someone, in my opinion. #prude
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2013
    rdarken said:

This was something that always bugged me. The Jaheira romance is in pretty bad taste, in my opinion. For starters, I always thought of her as quite a bit older than CHARNAME. When you meet them in FAI, they talk about being "old friends" with Gorion, which sounds to me like they knew him before he adopted CHARNAME.

It was probably easier for her to say they were "old friends" of Gorion than to admit that Khalid and Jaheira and Gorion himself were Harpers. They could very well have just been well acquainted friends. Gorion probably didn't have a slew of people he could trust with to keep a child of Bhaal safe if something happened to him.
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Either way, even if they weren't "old friends" isn't it established that Gorion was pretty much retired while raising CHARNAME? Which means he knew Khalid and Jaheira before CHARNAME was born (or at least when CHARNAME was quite young). Even if they were young, they're still probably a good 15+ years older than him. Not a big deal, really: People in reality date with much bigger age gaps than that. But I always assumed that, since they were half-elves, they are really like 50+ years older - that's just my interpretation, though.

Anyway, in response to the OP's actual question: I don't think Khalid would move on very quickly, if at all. I think it would take him years. I find it hard to believe he would pursue anyone until Irenicus was dead, at the earliest.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited July 2013
    It's not like Jaheira did not grief or suffer, she did, but her outlook and world view is very different than Khalid. As a druid, she finds the idea to bring back the dead abhorent, and thinks 'nature gives and she takes' so she will grief, but also move on. She firmly believes that's what Khalid would want her to do, too.

Since she is still a healthy female, it would be natural for her to find another mate if her first one dies. There are tales of some animals dying of broken hearts when their mate is killed, but it is seldom the truth in the wild-life, nature is not that romantic, no, nature is ever practical and down to earth.

Khalid on the other hand, would have spent a longer time mourning, and I don't think he would ever hit on the female charname, even if he found her attractive. The whole image of protective 'uncle Khalid' figure being romanticaly involved with charname would come creepy and wrong to him, and as a good aligned person, he would try not to do anything he finds moraly questionable. Jaheira on the other hand, feels more free in this regard, charname is the male she spends the most time with, and if he does the romance plotline correctly, he becomes a very strong candidate for a mate, quite naturally. Jaheira is an old soul, she is down to earth, practical, and no-nonsense all the time. But she is a young, attractive half elf too. She is not like some cougar-aunt pouncing on her teen protege, no. Yeah I heartily support charnamexJaheira romance ^^
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    rdarken said:

Anyway, what bothers me more is how quickly she moves on. Of course, it's a function of the game length of the game, but I think it would have made more sense to have a "deeper friendship" option than a romance. I mean, at MOST the playthrough of BG2 can take a few in-game months, right? And that's assuming you rest a LOT. Seems a bit fast for her to be jumping into bed with someone, in my opinion. #prude

I disagree completely. Adventuring is a fast-paced, high octane life full of danger, and a mature, tough woman like Jaheira has likely been preparing herself for either her or Khalid's more or less inevitable, violent deaths for a long time. Khalid's also the sort of guy who would have told her, at one time or another, not to mourn him too long and to find happiness in the event of his death.

Khalid's also the sort of guy who would have told her, at one time or another, not to mourn him too long and to find happiness in the event of his death.

He might have said it but I bet he didn't mean it.

• CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Jaheira is a half-elf. She'll stay a hot young lady for *decades*...
  • AutequiAutequi Member Posts: 403
    @lunar
    That makes total sense but... still... ick.

I would play the heck out of a BG2 Khalid friendship mod.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    He wouldn't get the chance. He'd be fed to the first bear I met.
    Or I'd leave him around until the hell trials and let a demon flay him to death.
    Calmar said:

Jaheira is a half-elf. She'll stay a hot young lady for *decades*...

If she's a hot young lady why does she sound like my mother?

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @deltago Whoa, that joke is SO original! Congrats!!

Anyway @OneAngryMushroom pretty much nailed it; my thoughts entirely.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Khalid who?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    that would be awesome if Khalid was around, infact 99 times out of 100 I on purposely kill jaheira and keep Khalid around in bg1 because in bg1 jaheira is balls awful ( good thing they cranked her dex in SoA) because in SoA I already use jaheira as a fighter type and Khalid would just be so much better at it, quite the bit of irony, jaheira chunked in bg1 and Khalid lives, just to wake up in bg2 and jaheira alive and Khalid dead, whack a doodles
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I wouldn't mind Khalid being around. He and Aerie would probably get along. At least in the sense that she would whine to him about no longer having wings and I'd be free of that burden. :D
    haer'dalis can also help you with that burden as well...................................................... 0.o
  • TsyrithTsyrith Member Posts: 180
    You know, I would pay to see an angry emo Khalid; a man forgetting his meekness in a thick haze of rage and suffering. Some compelling story-telling to be had there, definitely room for character development. Thanks for the mental exercise!
  • ItstucktwiceItstucktwice Member Posts: 182
    I always saw Jaheira as a strong, sensible woman who just had a very good grasp of the situation. She had a mourning period, a period of reflection, and a period of denied feelings for Charname. However at the end of the day, she understands the need for a mate.

I don't feel she moved on too fast, nor did she insult Khalid's memory. It is just the kind of person she is.

Some people take years to recover from the loss of a loved one, some people take less. (I am going to assume it is months despite the face that you can theoretically do it in a couple days).
    hahahhahahahha @the_spyder good stuff
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    elminster said:

It was probably easier for her to say they were "old friends" of Gorion than to admit that Khalid and Jaheira and Gorion himself were Harpers. They could very well have just been well acquainted friends. Gorion probably didn't have a slew of people he could trust with to keep a child of Bhaal safe if something happened to him

Khalid, Jaheira, and Gorion could be "old friends" in other ways, too. ~.^

• SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

Mortianna said:

Khalid, Jaheira, and Gorion could be "old friends" in other ways, too. ~.^

Listen carefully. If we should ever become separated, it is imperative that you make your way to the Friendly Arm Inn. There, you will meet Khalid and Jaheira. They have long been my friends, and they are well up for a three way.
    "How long must we wait here! Things stir to the South as we sit!"
    "C-c-c-calm yourself, dear, we must proceed...c-c-c-carefully!"
    "Hey, sorry I'm late, I got jumped by this creepy dude outside. So, uhm, hi, I'm Gorion's Ward, and a couple of hours before he got killed - yeah, he's dead - he said you two were up for a three-way?"
    "Nature's servant awaits."
    "Well, I'm totally up for it! But I brought a friend along. Her name's Imoen...can she join?"
    "HEYA, IT'S ME, IMOEN!"
    "Sweeet..."