Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Series, and Icewind Dale Series Minimal Reload Challenge (Spoiler Warning!)

Comments

• Draith012Draith012 Member Posts: 174
    edited August 2013
    @belgarathmth Actually this is the part where shadowkeeper is going to be used extensively. Imoen is going to go off in her own group (group of five since I won't be able to remove Fiona). Branwen stayed because she pledged her life to Imoen, though I know she would have wanted to go, she will honor her pledge first and foremost.

Molkar is new to me as well. He appeared out of nowhere as he wasn't outside the inn when I went to go find Tranzig initially. So it's possible he can appear when you least want him to. I don't think SCS added him, I do, however, have the Big World Project installed so that's probably where he came from.

As for Imoen and the others, I'll have to manually remove any xp Fiona gets from their adventures and redistribute it among her party members. I'm not sure what's gonna happen with Imoen yet but it'll be fun to find out.

I just now caught up with my Baldur's Gate save and I can start screen shooting the events.

As for my ooc reasons, I thought it'll be fun to have two seperate groups roaming around the Sword Coast. Kind of like a Ying and Yang counterpart. Obviously Fiona is the bad influence while Imoen is the positive one.
    edited August 2013
    @belgarathmth
    errr... I just remember you were going to go through dulgar's tower. I didn't read it all since I haven't done it yet so I'm gonna have to return to this post later to see how things went for you. I don't want to spoil any surprises for me when I make the attempt.
    @SaphirreIce101
    Thanks for noticing the typo. I'm not a very good speller so I'll fix that when I can.

Lol, it's gonna take me awhile to get use to Khalid casting spells.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    @Draith012 - Actually, I thought you were making a Shrek Reference. XD

@Belgarathmth - Molkar or whatshisface is actually one of the assassin groups, akin to the Amazons. In vanilla BG you would have to go to their map, and talk to them in order to initiate combat, I think. XD
    Oh then this was just SCS reassigning where the assassin groups show up.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited August 2013
    The Nordic Warriors, 080913, supplemental

-We stand accused of murdering the leaders of the Iron Throne and of Baldur's Gate. The Flaming Fist imprisoned us, and scheduled us for extradition to Baldur's Gate for execution. Our pleas of self-defense fell on deaf ears. Luckily, my old mentor and friend Tethoril came to rescue us, and spirited us away to the secret catacombs beneath Candlekeep.

-In the subterranean depths, Imoen helped us to find many hidden treasures, including a magic tome that gave me superhuman strength! A gift from Tempus, no doubt! I gave Branwen another such tome that gave her the wisdom of Tempus.

-We fought doppelgangers attempting to confuse us with Loki's own illusions of past friends. I hated them for their trickery! We ignored their Lokispawn treachery, and dispatched them with ease!

-We fought a Lokispawn calling himself "Prat", with his fellows, and Imoen fell! We defeated them still, with help from two fair nymphs summoned by Faldorn. I had to use our last Potion of Mirrored Eyes to defeat two basilisks set to guard the exit from the Catacombs, but, with the protection of the Potion, they fell to my Hammer soon enough.

-We made our way back to the surface, and traveled to the Friendly Arms Inn to raise Imoen. We then proceeded to the bridge leading to Baldur's Gate, with plan to move quickly to the sewers to avoid the Flaming Fist.

-While camping outside the city, Branwen chose to break my heart! She said that never had I convinced her that my love did not make her weak, and that while she would stand with me to the end, that once the bards began to sing me as a hero, she would leave. She claimed that I would be the stronger for not being distracted, thinking that she would be my wife. I am distraught. I simply do not understand women. I am resolved still to convince her that she should be mine. Tomorrow, we move to the sewers of Baldur's Gate, and plan our final attack on the Iron Throne.

imageimageimageimage
    edited August 2013
    Chapter 20: Following Her Own Road

We been here for a good while now. Everybody is still huffy about the whole incident. Honestly, I wish everybody get over it. I know that wasn't Fiona when it happened. She hasn't much bothered coming out of the inn since then, though. Jaheira seem to be keepin her in lock-down till this all blows over.

I don't know. I try not to think about it and when I do, I just end up thinking about it more. So I figure, my hands be too idle. Did what I do when Puffguts is too busy: I helped myself to some curious trinkets. There's not much game though. Nashkil wasn't know for its riches, I'll tell you that. Met some silly goof talking to his pet hamster. Heh, you find all sorts of weird things out here. Then again, I talk to a chicken these days... wonder if it's the same thing.

Must admit though, Khalid and Jaheira sure did me wrong when I found out what they were up to.
    Khalid: "I-Imoen? It's time that we t-t-talked about what we should do."
    Imoen: "What's there to talk 'bout? We're heading off to Beregost right?"
    Khalid: "Well..."
    Branwen: "Aye, we sat on our hands long enough. Shall we make ready?"
    Khalid: "No, uhn, no not exactly. You see. Uh..."
    Imoen: "Agh, I'll just go ask Jaheira."
    Khalid: "Now, w-wait!"

He's always such a pushover. Always hesitates, he does. Made it easy for me to head to the inn and catch Jaheira as she was exiting the door.
    Imoen: "Hey, what's all this now?"
    Jaheira: "Imoen, child. Did Khalid not tell you?"
    Imoen: "He tried but it'll take all day in the listening."

Geez, Jaheira sure has little patience . She's stuffier than some of the scholars back home.
    Jahiera: "Fiona and Xan will be heading off to Beregost. You, Branwen and Khalid will stay here."
    Imoen: "What? That's crazy! No way I'm staying."
    Branwen: *finally catching up along with Khalid* "What? What happened?"
    Imoen: "They're ditching us!"
    Branwen: "That's ludicrous! No matter of speech will have me sit idly by as that scum Tranzig still draws breath!"
    Khalid: "B-but Branwen!"
    Jaheira: "Rest assure I'll have his head on a pike once I'm done with him."
    Branwen: "As will I."
    Jaheira: "You'll do nothing of the sort."
    Branwen: "And who will stop me? You?"
    Jaheira: "Hmph. I thought your sense of honor was better than this."
    Branwen: "You've some nerve to say such a thing. My honor demands I kill him."
    Jaheira: "You're honor lies in Imoen first and foremost. I suspect you take that oath more seriously."
    Khalid: "N-now dearest, lets not be so... so..."
    Branwen: "Leave it. No matter how much I rather strike her down for saying it. She's right in saying so. My honor is with Imoen."
    Imoen: "Well, it doesn't matter 'cause we're going too."

Fiona trots out of the inn as broad as day with nether a wink as she does so. Like she didn't sees us arguing here.
    Imoen: "Hey, Fiona, wait up!"

She moves on as if she's deaf or something.
    Imoen: "Fiona..."
    Fiona: "Go away, Imoen."
    Imoen: "Wha?"
    Fiona: "I said: Get lost! Stop riding my coat tails already. You're as useful as a Naskil's iron."
    Imoen: "That's a hellofva thing to say..."
    Fiona: *mumbles* "Just go crawl under a rock and die already."

I couldn't even find the words after hearing that. And she strolls on off as if it didn't even bothered her. It's like she's another person now.
    Branwen: "You'd choose that backstabbing witch over Lady Imoen?"
    Jaheira: "It's more complicated than that."

I stood there for a bit until Branwen started calling out to me. I didn't know what to do, so I started walking off back 'round to the bar. Branwen tried stopping me but I bolted off in a run. Just didn't want them looking at me. Not like this

I pretty much ended up on the other side of Nashkil, rubbing my face. So furious I was, I wanted to split that windmill over yonder to splinters. I don't know. I just sat there and stewed. That's when that odd man came up to me.
    Man: "Aww, Boo, you were right. There is indeed another lady in distress."
    Imoen: "No. No I'm not."

I was sure to wipe my face dry before he approached me.
    Imoen: "What do you want?"
    Man: "Well, Boo said I should come. When Minsc saw you I thought, 'Where's she running to.' But Boo said, "Sometimes, people run. Run to get away from things. Bad things.' So Minsc come to chase away the evil that follows you!"
    Imoen: "Heh, my hero... but nothings chasing me. Just my sorry self."
    Man: "Hm? You know, when Minsc doesn't fill well he turns to Boo for help. Maybe you should try it too. No?"
    Imoen: "You mean that hamster? Heheh, you're a weird one."
    Man: "No. No. Listen.

Minsc held out his hamster to me and the little bugger started squeaking as if he was actually trying to say something. Maybe some other time, I'd find him creepy but Boo's nose was -so- cute! It twitching the way it does. Minsc let me hold him and he was as gentle as a kitten.
    Imoen: "You have any friends, Minsc?"

His face turned all sorrowful just by the mentioning.
    Minsc: "Aye, I do. But not only a friend, she is my witch. I lost her. Lost her because I was too weak to save her."
    Imoen: "Awe, no. Don't get all sad like that. Weren't you going 'bout town yesterday asking for help?"
    Minsc: "That I did. But Minsc found no one willing to help. I'd go myself if it means just Minsc and Boo! I won't let them have Dynaheir!"
    Imoen: "No you wont Minsc. I'll go with you. And we'll save her together... In fact. I think I know who can come with us, in fact!"

He shot right on up and lifted me into the air. I was nearly 'bout to pop from panic it was so sudden.
    Minsc: "Aah! Minsc could kiss you! Thank you little one! Thank you!"
    Imoen: "Easy Minsc! I'm delicate!"

Imoen: Swashbuckler 5
    Khalid: Fighter 4
    Branwen: Cleric 4
    Minsc: Ranger 2
    edited August 2013
    @Draith012, great writing, Many great fantasy novels use the technique of splitting the cast. David Eddings does it, Robert Jordan does it, and George R.R. Martin is infamous for it. I'm curious, how are you handling the split in-game? Have you got two separate runs going now?

EDIT: oh, wait, I just saw in an above post that you're planning to carry Fiona's avatar along, I guess as a "shadow character". That might make some interesting handling of the game engine, to keep her separated in a safe place without using her. I would never in a million years have imagined the idea of carrying a full party in the engine, but only using part of them on certain maps and in certain scenarios, playing that the other part weren't physically present. That's ingeniously creative.
    @SapphireIce101, I *love* your Cameron Tofer and Clint Eastwood jokes. Do you have a macro for doing that every time, or are you actually typing the formatting commands for the strikethroughs? (What *is* the command for strikethrough, btw?)

Regardless, great update, there.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @Draith012

An interesting and creative idea. So are you now progressing with 2 parallel runs? And presumably you will eventually reunite the party in some way, with xp adjusted so that Fiona will have whatever xp she's gained whilst doing stuff on her own, and Imoen and her group like-wise. I wish the game mechanics could allow you to do this. It would solve the problem of forcing me to abandon NPCs that I'd actually quite like to work with. Yeslick, Kivan and Ajantis come to mind.
    The Nordic Barbarians -

(OOC) Okay, we beat the final battle> It took three tries. SCS does some interesting things to make it even harder than usual, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who's never done it with SCS. I had to turn the difficulty slider to easy, or I wouldn't have stood a chance. I was ready to give up on that third try.

I think I'm going to go ahead and play Werewolf Island for the xp, and then try to finish Durlag's Tower and struggle with Aec Latec, just because I never have. I am expecting many, many reloads; too many to count, in fact, so I believe I will probably end this run here as a minimal reload. When I get to BG2, I'll consider posting again as a new BG2 minimal reload, but I'm not sure yet. I'm thinking I'm going to have a much more relaxing time and have more fun if I can stop worrying so much about reloads and difficulty.

Thanks to everyone who's been reading my posts on this run.

Final Reload Score (for BG1, no Werewolves or Durlag's): 5 (random ogre mage, Iron Throne Gang, Sarevok x3)
    Average party level at ending: 7 (Imoen made 8 after Sarevok died)
    @belgarathmth

Wow u are making really fast progress! You're gonna catch my Let's Play in no time lol.

Aec'Letec was hard even at Core Rules difficulty with BG EE Vanilla. I shudder to think what it might be like with SCS. That said, at least it's not a mage battle.

I thought you were playing BGT.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    @Belgarathmth - the command that I use to get the strikes in is < strike > < / strike > without the spaces in it. Example: Cameron Tofer. Also, congrats on defeating Sarevok with SCS. Hes a difficult fight without SCS.
    Well, y'all, it turns out I'm not going to do Werewolf Island and Durlag's, after all. I went to the Ice Island mages labyrinth, and one of them was bugged to be unkillable. (At "near death" forever, no matter how much damage.)

I don't know if it was Baldur's Gate Trilogy, or SCS that did it, but I'm unwilling to risk getting invested any farther with a bugged install. It could be that BGT can't handle letting you try to finish TotSC after the final battle, or it could be one of those new-version SCS bugs I've heard about.

So, I'm just going to uninstall, do a clean install of BG2, and start Todek as a newly created character in BG2. I'm thinking I'll not mod at all, this time. I really wanted to do the NPC Project again, and I just accomplished that. I really hate getting bugged out with mods, so I think a nice, clean BG2 install is what I want.

I really wish we had BG2:EE. :)
    @belgarathmth

Oh that's a shame. Are u gonna continue to record Todek's journey on this thread?
    @Heindrich1988, I'm not sure yet. I think I need a break from BG as a player, although I still intend to watch Let's Plays, including yours, and talking to people around these forums. No other game I play has a community as awesome as this one.

If I do come back to the minimal reload thread as Todek in BG2, I think I might make him a berserker, which is almost the same rp idea, but, he would have a defense against Imprisonment, which makes me *very* nervous in BG2. Maybe Branwen "civilized" him and made him slightly more powerful in Tempus' ways.

I am also thinking about trying some four-member parties. I just created one in Might and Magic 6 that I'm calling "The Four Archangels - Michael Todd the Knight, Rafael Sunbow the Thief/Mage, Gabriel Moon the Cleric, and Ariel Northwind the Sorceress. If I enjoy playing that, I'd like to maybe try a custom BG:EE party based on the same theme, and then, maybe by then, BG2:EE will be out (a man can dream...). I'm also interested in trying my "Four Archangels" in IWD and IWD2.

Here's something that's making me feel better about how the final battle of BG1 always owns me - I skipped ahead to Tord's final battle videos. It starts at no. 602. It goes to .... 751! LOL. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's ever thought the BG1 final battle was just plain bonkers!

And you know, I've never actually played the final battle in BG:EE - so I wonder how hard it is compared to vanilla and SCS. That's another incentive for me to come back to BG:EE eventually.

Good luck to all you minimal reloaders and aspiring novelists! I look forward to continuing to follow your runs!

@belgarathmth Yeah, Imoen's party will consequently only have 5 members in it. I'm keeping record of how much gold each group should have and how many hours they spend traveling and resting to see where they are during their part of the story.

On another note, I would like to hear about Todek's adventures through BG2.

@Heindrich1988 Shadowkeeper will help me monitor and redistribute xp for Imoen's group. Of course, according to the game engine, the two groups are not parallel but I am playing them as though they are. A lot of back n' forth traveling is going to be common. Plus, Jaheira and Khalid are a pain since I have to dupe one in order to take the other. But they're all manageable if you know how.
    Well, I'm gonna be taking a break from my BG run. Sorta demotivated since I found out that BG2:EE is being suspended indefinitely. But now, lets take a breath and play some IWD2.
    @Draith012, yeah, I kind of know what you mean. If you want to do some posts on your IWD2 run, that might be fun. I'm actually playing entirely different games for the time being. I'm sure I'll be back to BG or IWD sooner or later, though.
    edited August 2013
    Alright @belgarathmth here goes...

Chapter 1 (part 1): United They Stand
    It was a city of greed, corruption and a playground of vices. Whenever its name was spoken, one could not help but think of nefarious tales. Luskan was all this and more. Yet this is not the focus of our story. It is but the setting to a band of unlikely travelors, brought together by circumstance and a bond forged by steel. It is here in these rough streets does our tale begins.

She rushes through the alleyways to the calling of distress. The scene was not far from her as the deviants of Luskan were bold. Many such calls could be found in the late-night streets as none tend to yield notice or else face retaliation. She comes upon two men forcing themselves on a helpless pre-adult woman. The ringing of steel is challenged only by the woman's confident and projected voice.

"Release your hands from the youth or else lose them to the swiftness of my blade!"

The two ruffians look to their opposition with a bit of uncertainty but holds fast to their victim. There before them is a tall and elegant woman with black long hair. Though she brandishes a knight's style long sword, she dons no armor.

"Eh, what's this now? Some whelp playin' knight?" One retorts.
    "Hah! Must of run off with her master's sword. Now what'cha going to do with dat der blade darlin'?" Answers the other.
    "Hey, Nox, look at dem eyes. Shimmers like gold it does!"
    "Wha? She's one of dem Asimer... Aisemar...."
    "Aasimar you poor wretch," whispered a soft voice behind them.

The ruffians shook with a startle. No sooner could they turn to the mysterious voice does a blade kisses Nox's chin.

"Easy boys. I'd hate to slice up that lovely face of yours," said the mysterious voice.

Starring back at them was another woman, this one barely five feet tall. Her skin was as pale as the walking dead and wrapped in the darkest of fabrics. A hood hides much of her facial features.

The other woman shouts out to her, "Ishtaida, this is not your place! I can handle this well enough!"
    "Shhhh," Ishtaida hisses. "These fools were about to leave this poor lass alone. Isn't that right hun?"
    Nox stammers to reply, "Y-y-es. We want no trouble wit the both of ye."
    "Then get," Ishtaida spits.
    They both take off in a hurry, certain not to take the path the squire woman occupies.
    "Letting them go will only insure they'll commit their crimes another day!" Bellows the squire.
    "Oh shut it, Ria. Better we not leave a trace of our passing. I'm getting sick of all these 'heroics' of yours."
    The young girl manage a murmur, "Thank you."
    Ishtaida shoots a glared at the lass and walks away. Ria hurries to her side and acknowledges the young lady's gratitude.

Once leaving the alleyway, Ria catches up to Ishtaida.
    "I'm starting to doubt your reason of bringing us here," Ria says.
    "Things haven't been looking too good 'round here. There's usually more work than this."
    "So you say. Is this from this so called 'contact'?"
    Ishtaida huffs out a sigh. "Even he is getting peculiar, but he wants to meet us near town square."
    "Oh? So I finally get to meet him."
    "Hm. Just don't try to shake his hand. He's a very private individual."
    "I doubt I want to shake any of your associate's hands."

When the two of them begin breaching the outskirts of the town square, they wade through a throng of people that were all leaving in unison. After awhile, Ishtaida spots the one she seeks. Off to the corner, near an inn stood a robed tall man. His garments were quite obvious in the crowd, bleached crimson red as they were. As they approach, Ishtaida discerns a sour look upon his face.

"Hey," Ishtaida nods to him. "What's the deal?"

The man only shook his head, slowly turning to Ishtaida's companion. His eyes starred hard at Ria, a look that made her rather uncomfortable.

"I dare not believe it. But never will I see a tiefling and aasimar baring arms together," he says.
    "Keep it down will ya," Ishtaida scolds. "So did you find us anything?"
    Ria interrupts, "So, are you going to introduce me, Ish?"
    "Ria, Draith. Draith, Ria."

The man does little to acknowledge the introduction and moves on to the topic at hand.
    "Everyone is locking their doors from all the disorder among the guilds. No new faces will be getting an easy foot in. That includes the both of you."
    "Well shit Draith. What are we going to do?"
    "There was to be a public announcement here in town square that the both of you were unsurprisingly late for."
    "Er.." Ria grumbles. "We got waylaid with an urgent issue."
    Ishtaida just shook her head in annoyance. "And?"
    Draith continues, "It wasn't even of local concern but the Ten Towns need sellswords to fend off a goblin incursion."
    Ishtaida pinches the bridge of her nose.
    "That sounds perfect," Ria exclaims.
    "Like hell it is!" Ishtaida protests. "We're not fit to fight an army!"
    Draith interjects, "there's actually organizing a caravan of sail ships to transport bands of sellsword companies. You two can..."
    "I paid good coin to get here you ass!" Ishtaida shouts at Draith as she grabs him by the robes.
    He slams his walking stick onto the cobble-stone street. A clap of thunder bangs out as he does so. The whole street corner of passbyers stop to stare.
    "Right," Ishtaida mutters as she releases him.
    "And you're coin shall not go unnoticed. To insure your investment, I have volunteer my service to aid you in your company."
    "Huh," Ria grunts in bewilderment. "I wouldn't have guess you for a fighting man."
    Ishtaida replies before Draith could manage, "He needn't use strength of arms. The man is a summoner... a damn good one too."
    "I'm glad to have you among our ranks."
    The man doesn't gesture or verbalizes any acknowledgement.
    Post edited by Draith012 on
    edited August 2013
    Ria Delglaivor
    Lawful Good Paladin of Helm Aasimar
    Str: 16, Dex: 10, Con: 12, Int: 10, Wis: 14, Cha: 18
    Weapon Focus: Long Sword
    Concentrate (2), Diplomacy (2)

Ishtaida Eldravesk
    Chaotic Neutral Rogue Tiefling
    Str: 12, Dex: 20, Con: 8, Int: 18, Wis: 12, Cha: 8
    Proficiency: Shield
    Alchemy (2), Disable Device (4), Hide (4), Move Silently (4), Open Locks (4), Pick Pockets (4), Search (4), Use Magic Device (4)

Draith
    Lawful Neutral Conjurer Human
    Str: 8, Dex: 14, Con: 12, Int: 18, Wis: 16, Cha: 8
    Expertise, Spell Focus: Enchantment, Subvocal Casting
    Alchemy (4), Concentration (4), Hide (2), Knowledge: Arcana (4), Move Silently (1), Spellcraft (4)
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    @Draith012

Nice! Just reading the intro convinced me to head over to GOG and buy ID2 Complete - it's downloading as I type this.

Are you going to run a trio or do you plan to add some more and if so when?
    edited August 2013
    @Wanderon thanks for enjoying the intro. To answer your question, I intend to play a full group as the trials of Icewind Dale 2 is more of a tale of a larger group than the work of a few. At least it feels very grand to be fighting an army. I would add more than six if the game would let me :/

Chapter 1 (part 2): United They Stand

Before the breaking of dusk, the three of them find themselves at the docks amongst the bustle of sellswords and sailors steep deep in various cargo and commotion. Ria and Ishtaida look around in astonishment to the number of venture companies responding to the calling. With Luskan in the decline of economic wealth, many had to turn to else where to achieve end's meat. It was painfully obvious to them that they were no exception.

"It's a good size army, here alone," Ria mutters.
    "None of which are under one banner. The task of uniting them will be trying for the people of the Ten Towns." Draith explains.
    Ishtaida looks about, "Ugh. Assuming they can keep themselves from being the very ones from looting and pillaging."
    Ria glances at her, "Surprising hearing that from you."
    "She's right." Draith interjects. "This loose rabble can often breed strife. Gold being their incentive, they'll procure it one way or another."

Ria is pushed to one side as a giant of a man brushes by her. Baring the marks of the northern barbarian tribes, he walks along side many of his kind as they start docking onto the ship directly in front of the trio. Each were as big as a bear, equally as grizzly and likely just as strong. Usually Ria would act in the utmost composure, but she only look on in wonderment to their size. Even she was dwarfed to their stature.

"Guess we're sharing a boat with them." Isthaida says softly to the group.

By day's end several scores of ships have set sail to the first of the Ten Towns, Bremen. The nights were boisterous and the men often chatter on bravado of exploits they would soon unleash in their wake up north. Ria kept to the deck as she had no tolerance to the intoxicated rabble that collaborated down below. Often the outburst of laughter would draw her eyes to the lit entryway behind her only to return to her resolute defiance against ill vices.

The wind howls from the sea, blasting her with a cold winter breath. Little could be heard over the wind from the nearby boats. Ria glances up to the crow's nest where Ishtaida had hid out during the long voyage thus far. Again, the enthusiasm draws her attention once again, however, this time spilling out from bellow deck and out into the open.

With a yelp, a man comes flying from the entryway, his body pattering against the hard wooden deck's floor. The man was battered and bloody. Ria finds herself suddenly responding and rushing to the man's side. The man groans and whimpers as he tries to slur some speech at her. Ria hushes the man and uses her divine influence to mend the bruises and cuts.

Heavy foot-falls come pacing up the stairs. Bulging forth from the entryway is one of the barbarians. Built like a fortress wall, he begins to rise even further as he stands up straight after clearing the entryway behind him.

"Hah! None can best me!" He exclaims in the usual chest pounding manner all males tend to do when asserting their dominance.
    Ria glares at him. "The man is severely injured. You needn't have taken it so far."
    "Oh oh. What's this now? He's gone cuddling back to his mother's teet. Pah!"

Laughter echoes his jest as men start coming up on deck to continue watching the rest of the show. Ria refuse to let the audience overwhelm her.
    "Enough. Leave this man alone and return to your ale!"

The huge man cracks the crick in his neck and rotates his shoulders. "Now dear. Who's gonna make me?"

All the banter and laughter slowly begin to die down as each spectator begin noticing an odd sound in the wind. Even Ria and the barbarian begin straining their ears to make it out over the waves crashing against the ship.

Up in the crow's next Ishtaida and one sailor look to the upcoming shore. She too could barely make out the sound, but the sailor next to her being elven knew exactly what it was.

"Bell chimes!" He grumbles.
    "From the other ships?"
    "Aye. Somethins amist. Der 'mergency patterns."

The elf strains harder to look into the horizon in the dead of night. Ishtaida watches him as he examines the far off shore. Coming to a conclusion, he was visibly disturbed. Nearly panic like hesitation. He motions several times before finally committing to look over the railing and shout down bellow.

"Turn starboard!"

Those on deck look up to the crows nest, watching the sailor wave but the sound of his voice was but a whisper against the breath of the northern winds.

"What? What?!" Ishtiada asks.

The sailor, realizing his demands were going unheeded, leaps over the crow's nest railing and onto the netting, eager in his descent to the helm.

"Bremen burns!" He yells.

The sounds in the air start to become more prominent and the soberness begin to instinctively become self-aware. The clamoring of bells could be heard, along with distant shouting. Everyone starts gathering along the edges of the boat to look on to their neighboring ships. At first, they saw nothing. In a minute, they see something akin to a shooting star fall into the sea towards port side. Then it begins to hail unto their port side neighbor. The crew and sellswords begin murmuring in speculation until they all watch as the ship is set ablaze. It's crew members running about in panic as many start jumping overboard.

Everyone is jerked to one side as their ship begins turning sharply towards sea. The crew begin bustling on deck to help man the ship as the sellswords stare at the darken figures near the shore. Ria is grabbed by her arm and Ishtaida drags her away.

"Find cover!" She commands.
    "The ship is on fire!" Ria replies.
    "Orc warships are in the waters. Bremen is sacked!"
    "But we're one of the outlining coastal ships..." Ria utters as the very words dons on her the imminence of their situation. She pulls Ishtaida down and against the railing. Only Ishtaida could see through the immediate darkness; a storm of arrows begin plunging onto the deck. Many are caught unprepared to the darkwood arrows in the night sky.

"What do we do?" Ria shouts.
    "What do you think? We gotta get bellow deck and find Draith!"
    "Shouldn't we stay and fight?"
    "Did you bring your bow?"

Ishtaida knows Ria never used a bow in her life thereby answered her question. She waits for the next shower of arrows. Ria watches with mix emotions as she watches those still alive on deck crawl to safety as arrows begin plunging into their sides.

"Go!" Ishtaida shouts. The both of them dash off. Stray arrows sink in nearby planks as they run across the deck. Ishtaida leaps through the door frame and down the stairs followed shortly by Ria who refrained from performing any acrobatic displays.

There was as much chaos here as there was above deck. Sitting at a table amongst the chaos was Draith, calm but ever watchful.

"What the hell are you doing?" Ishtaida yells at him.
    "Waiting." He answers steadily.
    "Do you even know what the f..."

Draith raises his hand to silence Ishtaida and proceeds with an answer, "Not a one of the arrows that hit this ship were intended to set it ablaze. Correct?"
    "Yea..."
    "They're clearing the deck so that we can not man it, thus sending us adrift in our current direction. Being a cargo ship, they'll reach us shortly. They'll first capsize any naval war ships that Luskan sent to escort us and then commandeer the remaining ships for supplies. We either wait down here to meet arms against the orcs or go above and get shot down."
    "And how would you know that's what they have in mind?" Ishtaida demands.
    "If you pause to think a moment that despite lacking higher intellectual faculty, they still draw on centuries of military experience and thus will take action thusly. Through their perspective, you need only take the appropriate deployment to determine outcome."
    "But Luskan only sent a spare force with us." Ria interjects.
    "We can only hope that Luskan can hold off the assault long enou..."

The whole ship shake violently, sending anything that wasn't bolted down to the floor.
    Ria and Ishtaida look to each other with much concern.
    "It's time." Driath announces.

The barbarian tribe are the first to engage the orc war party. Many sellswords become hesitant and start questioning their valor. Ria was ready to make a mad dash out onto the deck when her shoulder receivees a tug.

"Do not engage them directly," Draith tells her. "Make a path to the helm. We must direct the ship." Ria nods to him and together with Ishtaida she makes for the deck. Draith wanders off elsewhere.

The cry of battle fills the air with the beating of steel and the screams of the wounded. The line of scrimmage was not far from the her but Ria refrains from engaging the enemy and looks to the staircase up to the stern. Ishtaida collects a bow and quivor from a fallen sellsword.

Ria storms up the stairs and is greeted by the swinging darkiron blade of an orc; shouting and screaming in a mad bloodlust. Her swift reaction catches his blade in the hilt of her sword as arrows plung into his chest. With his body weight leaning towards her, Ria redirects the orc to one side, over the edge and down bellow. Now on the upper most deck, Ishtaida keeps a vigilant watch and shoots down several orcs on their way to intercept Ria. Armorless, Ria understood her exceptional vulnerability but dauntlessly pushed on. At the helm, one orc comes lunging at her, enduring Ishtaida's arrow with utmost ignorance to the injury. His swing was wide and she side steps out of reach.

From deep within, Ria calls forth the eternal essence of Helm to guide her blade. The sword shimmers in the midnight air before her and she rains judgement onto the orc, cleaving through the orc's sword as he tries to parry the attack. The orc was vanquished and the helm was theirs.

Ria grabs ahold of the wheel but is uncertain on what to do.
    "Turn it away from the their ship," Ishtaida shouts.

No sooner could she begin to stir the ship, Draith comes pacing along leaning heavily on his walking stick. He looks out towards starboard and points earnestly.

"Take the ship towards them." He issues.
    "What?" Ria asks
    "Do it! We're joining arms with them!"

The ship he was directing her towards was easily the closest but was fairly small in comparison to the other ships.

Ishtaida watches the battle from the helm while the ship slowly approaches its destination. There was no doubt in her mind that they were going to be overrun.

"Hurry Ria!" She exclaims.
    "I'm trying!"

Smoke begins to emit from the lower decks. Before Ishtaida could even inquire Draith answers her concerns. "I set the ship on fire bellow deck. We can escape on board the new ship and leave the orcs to burn on top this one. Letting us be free of their pursuit for the time being."

Draith moves to the railing and looks onto the helm of the smaller ship. He spots the captain desperately trying to avoid their ship. Draith closes his eyes and murmurs to himself. Extending his hand his cantation ends and his eyes blink open. The captain, falls to the ground fast asleep.

The ship quickly approaches the other and Draith shouts out, "Ready yourselves!"

The entire deck shakes violent once again and Ria and Ishtaida are thrown from the helm. Draith holds fast to the starboard railing. Many of the fighting men were slain save but one barbarian on the upper deck who manage to brace the impact. He moves about cleaving through the flesh of the toppled orcs with the wide arcs of his axe swings.

Ishtaida leaps down bellow as Draith tries to climb onto the railing.

"What are you doing?!" Ishtaida shouts back up.
    "I'm staying." Ria replies.

She turns around to the image of the huge barbarian charging at her, without even mustering a reaction, he grabs both Ria and Draith in one swift motion and leaps over the railing like a massive horse over a hurdle.

Ishtaida stands there speechless to the scene. The barbarian warrior promptly drops both Draith and Ria and rams his chest into the hull of their original ship and begins screaming in terrible cry. His arms bulge and the planks bellow his feet begin to creek as the massive man slowly pushes the larger ship away. The crew mates quickly join him in his effort once they see the affects of his efforts.
    edited August 2013
    Hector Erskine
    Chaotic Neutral Barbarian Human
    Str: 18, Dex: 14, Con:18, Int: 8, Wis: 12, Cha: 6
    Cleave, Power Attack
    Intimidate (2), Wilderness Lore (4)
    @Draith012, goodness, I've seen people write up their game posts in narrative form before, but I've never seen anyone write an entire first chapter of a novel based on character creation and the intro movie. Good work there.
    Awesome write up Draith012 !

I put together a team yesterday and played through the Palisades battle but while I was out and about today I got to thinking about doing a sort of random method of team development. I will use dice rolls to pick my five cohorts from the "premade" teams the devs included - roll once to determine which team then again to pick the member - roll over for duplicates - once I get them chosen I will decide on my main character (in case there is a critical class missing from the group).

I am playing the GOG IWD2 complete version and was somewhat surprised to see that I don't get to see experience amounts - the game just says you have earned experience - I vaguely recall this from the original but thought it was "fixed" in an official patch (and I am assuming the complete version is already patched) - any input on this?
    edited August 2013
    @belgarathmth, lol I know. The first chapter is turning out to be longer than I expected. I haven't gotten to start playing the game yet :< How sad would it be if I died at the docks XD

@Wanderon that sounds interesting. I never actually given the premades a consideration myself. Hard to get attached to them but it would be interesting to see the group you get. As for the experience indication, my game doesn't display the amount either. But I think it has always been like this. The game runs on a challenge table based on your level, since it's 3.0 D&D. It's a bit of a sliding scale. The monsters you fight won't give you as much xp the higher level you are. So the xp isn't just a standard print out of a base amount like BG2. In fact, solo run characters will at times gain no experience after kill their opponents cause how fast they had leveled. The game is still challenging nevertheless.

Chapter 1 (part 3): United They Stand

Despite their efforts, orcs begin leaping over and onto the smaller ship before the gap became too great. The remaining sellswords and sailors take to their arms. The barbarian picks up his axe though bit exhausted for the moment. Draith takes off with a limp towards the helm. Ria follows.

"Are you hit?" she asks him.

He gestures with his hand towards the helm, "Steer. We must pull away from the ship."
    "You're leg!" she asks yet again.

Draith comes to a halt and leans onto his walking stick.

"Go!" He shouts.

Ria dashes off to the wheel. Draith looks about the deck and surveys the situation, noticing he is a bit winded. In the pitch of battle, he finds a foreign sound lurking about. Something quite misplaced and alluring. It was as though there was a melody in the air, sweet and enchanting.

Even with the conflict not more than a few paces from him, Draith strides towards the source of the sound the best he could. He reaches the railing of the upper deck that overlooks the main mass. There on the lower deck sings a blonde woman. She does so untouched in the middle of the chaos, like a delicate flower peer out of a stream. A few paces from her vigilantly stands a man. He dutifully protects her from any oncoming opponents. Draith could tell by the sound in the wind that magic floats in the air. The sailors and sellswords around her fight harder than the rest. Any injury they receive only made them more steadfast to wrestle victory away from the foe. He could see it that they were pushing the orcs back.

Draith decidedly adds his prowess to theirs and begins to distort the fabric of space before him. As the space around him bends, swirls of colors begin to cluster and form. Solid objects begin pushing their way out of the distortion and take form. Several war dogs come darting out and into their ranks, sinking their teeth in the legs and arms of fighting orcs.

Draith leans up against the railing in a sweat, contemplating his last spell. For the time being, he rests and readies it if need be. He watches the barbarian and sailors slay the orcs, some even pushed overboard into the sea. The ship sails on, free from their assailants whom now can no longer pursue them from the smoke smothered boat. For the moment, their small vessel goes overlooked as the orc war parties attack the rest of the convoy.

Ishtaida kneels down besides Draith.
    "You're bleeding everywhere." She gripes at him.
    He doesn't say much of anything, only thinking how difficult it is for him to stay awake. There beside them, Ishtiada begins arguing or explaining something to the armor man that was protecting the singing woman down bellow. Draith couldn't focus nor recall when the man had approached them but the man seem interested in his condition and places his hand on the wound which was bleeding out on Draith's leg. Must of cut deeper than I thought, Draith reflects. Before he realizes it, his conscienceness starts to stablize and sounds and vision begin regaining sharpness.

"Relax," the man says to Draith. "I am a servant of Helm."

Oddly, the visage of the man's helmet did little in comforting Draith. Nevertheless, he tries to relax.

"So, he's fine?" Ishtaida asks.
    "Yes. Helm's blessing has taken his wound, though he should not move about due to how much blood he had lost."
    "T-thanks," the words were awkward coming out of Ishtaida's mouth.
    "Certainly." The man stands up and peers around. "It looks like we are clear of the orcs. Doesn't look as though we're suffering any arrow fire either."

Ishtaida examines the situation with him.

"Yeah, I think we're fine for now. This ship looks to be a bit faster too."
    "Who is the witch?" Draith mutters.
    The armored man replies, "I do not think she would like to be addressed thusly. She is gifted and has chosen to use her talents for the betterment of others. If you ever have the chance to meet her, her name Sister Valerie. She is an acolyte of the Oghma."
    "Odd place to find her." Ishtaida inserts.
    "It is," the man continues. "As for I, I am a Watcher of Helm. You may call me Constantine."

Ria approaches the group once the captain woke up and began chewing her out. Ria gracefully conceded the one-sided complaint.

"I can't believe we made it," she says to them.
    "If you'll excuse me, I shall attend to the wounded."

Constantine walks around them and towards the remaining passengers.
    "Not quite how I imagined it." Ishtaida replies. "I thought we die after we made it to the Ten Towns."

Draith repositions himself and speaks up, "With Bremen overtaken, Targos will be our next destination. It'll soon be under seige if not already."

With the ship now too far to face the retaliation of the orc war parties. The three of them watch helplessly as the other ships are boarded or set ablaze.Very few manage to escape the onslaught.

The days and nights went on in silence. Many in grief to the lost of their companions and the lack of moral upon losing what was to be the first of many battles. It would be any day now till they reach the docks of Targos.

The trio sit idle at a table in the main mess hall.
    "We lost a lot of gear ditching our main ship," Ishtaida addresses.
    "I think the local guards will outfit us come time," Ria says.

Draith doesn't say anything on the subject. His eyes are caught by the approaching priestess, Sister Valerie.

He mutters, "Can we help you?"

Not many took lightly the situation from a few days ago, the sister being no exception. She takes a deep breath and speaks her wishes.

"I'm Sister Valerie Rosewood of the order of Oghma. My order had sent me to chronicle the events here in the north." There seems to be a hint of excitement in her voice. "After seeing the lot of you, the way you boarded the ship... and being among an aasimar AND a tiefling. I couldn't help but wonder what sort of... deeds you will accomplish here."

The girl starts fiddling with her hair, which was cut short just below the chin. "I-I was wondering if I may accompany you? When I first boarded, I didn't think I would need to fight the ensuing horde but, um, I'd be grateful to help boaster your band. It is just the three of you are you not?"

"That we are." Ria replies. "You're welcome amongst us. A priestess will serve well in our ranks."
    "Provided she doesn't get done in at the first glimpse of battle..." murmurs Ishtaida.
    "W-Well, I am but an acolyte. I have yet to perform my rites to priesthood. I have undertaken the journey in hopes to gain Oghma's... favor?"
    "Eh. Here I thought she'd be useful," Ishtaida grumbles.

Ria lets out a reluctant sigh. "Well..."
    "If you need a healer, Constantine of the Watchers has always been by my side. He too was traveling alone. If you would have the both of us... that is."
    "Certainly," Ria answers. "I wouldn't have judge you any less, priestess or not. We'll surely benefit with you among our ranks."
    "Do they burn witches up north?" Draith mutters.
    "Hm?"

Draith turns in his chair to face the woman.
    "The night of the assault. There was magic in your voice wasn't there?"

The woman looks to the floor while trying to find the words.

"This is true," she utters. "My family has the curse of the sorcerer's blood in our veins. But our family had made it a tradition to utilize our powers in song or in melody. Y-you won't have any problems with me."

Draith raises himself up by his walking stick, ready to depart for the evening.

Ria aks him, "Well, what of it?"
    "Take the offer." He answers. "Tomorrow, we will need them." And walks away.

The night came and went as the growing band prepared what little they had for their docking the next eve. There so few left that were actually staying in Targos for the war that the idea of them alone would be but a delay against the coming tide. They felt it too, what little promise these lands could have for them. Many gathered on deck while the remaining ships pull into the docks.

Ishtaida nods in the direction of the stern.

"Hey, there's that barbarian from our ship," she says.

The others turn about to look upon the lone warrior ever staring out to sea. Since the night of the attacks, he has kept to himself in isolation.

"Poor man," Valerie says. "He must of came up here with his brothers to help defend his homelands. Now, he wanders it alone."
    "He's certainly strong from what I've seen," Ria states.

The others return to their silence while Draith looks on. He had that look Ishtaida knew all to well.

"What is it?" she asks him.
    "He must have an appendix of knowledge of the lands we'll soon tread on," Draith speaks softly.
    "Have none of us been up north before?" Valerie asks.

Everybody glances to each other to see the obvious answer was a negative one.
    "His lost is unfortunate, but we're defending Targos. We needn't venture pass its gates," Constantine replies. "They seldom associate with others outside their tribe."
    "I can't leave him to his death," Valerie inserts. "Wouldn't it be a tale worth writing of the surviving member of the tribe who fought to defend his homeland? To lose all those he sweat and bleed with along the way. Which would be the greater lost?"

Valerie walks towards the barbarian's direction.

"I don't want to see him die. Not without his story being told."

"By the way," Ishtaida iterates to the others. "Think it's time we decide the name of our company and who will represent us."
    "It will not be you," Constantine answers.

Ishtaida frowns at the statement. It was a position she never wanted but to hear it from a stranger was purely annoying. How quick it is to judge one with black blood was a prospect she was quite familiar with.

"Well we're off to a nice start." She mutters.
    "The lady may have a fascination with the two of you, but I will be watchful of your actions." He continues.
    Ria grins, "You know. I have been saying that for years. She'll surprise you, that I'm certain of."
    "Is that the circumstance of your meeting?"
    "No," Ria reflects. "I've known her so long she is like a sister. A sister you constantly try to watch out for."
    "By Selune's tits. I'm right here." Ishtaida protests. "If you have a problem with traveling with a tiefling than we don't need you."
    "As a guess, I will nominate the Lady Delglaivor. I think she's a fine example of what we seek to accomplish here."
    "Oh really?" Ishtaida retorts. "You've decided all this have you?"
    Draith comments, "Did you have another in mind?"
    "No. I just wanted to make sure we all are on the same page on who's leading this band. But let ME handle the payments with the guards. Knowing Ria, she'd volunteer our service expecting us to live off good intention."
    "One time!" Ria exclaims.
    "And now we're here risking our lives for a bit of coin."

Ishtaida starts to rant as she walks off from the group. Ria just shakes her head.
    "Ugh," she grunts. "She never lets me forget."
    "How enduring," Constantine comments.

Valerie had spent some time trying to beckon the barbarian who has been spending his days sitting at the stern. He had been unresponsive to all her attempts. She was certain he knew the tongue but his grief was so much that there was little she could do. She rests her hand on his shoulder and watches the sea with him for the time being. It was good to know he didn't flinch to her touch.

When the words found her, she begins to speak aloud, not to anyone in particular but to those that would hear her.

"Once the breath of thy life does not flow
    The battle over; the day be won.
    We bow our heads; we bow them low
    to the valor of those whom soon be gone.

"Let it be known their trail and deed;
    a task most grave; they dare not hide
    their strength; their motives; their legacy
    We keep to thy heart and carried with pride.

"Goodbye sweet child; goodbye dear brother;
    Goodbye oh father; goodbye my precious everything.
    We lay you to rest upon the great earth mother
    With flowers and prayer, we chant and sing."

Valerie leaves the man to himself, his silence being long enduring. The ship drift slowly into the docks as the captain prepares to set anchor.

"You ready then?" Constantine asks her.
    "Aye. I tried my best. I hope he finds the comfort he needs."

Valerie notices everybody's attention is elsewhere and peers around her to see where it was. The barbarian man she was speaking to moments ago approaches them.

"Oh, hello. I'm sorry if I intruded..."
    "No," he replies. "I thank yeh for yer words. None would give prayer to me brothers such as you. I thank yeh and wish to fight along side yer band."

"Hmm," Ria hums. "Then let us be known as Six Swords of the North."
    (So okay. I'll be the first to admit, I am not very good with poems so please be mindful :P)
    Constantine Trivon
    Lawful Good Watcher of Helm Human
    Str: 16, Dex: 12, Con: 12, Int: 8, Wis: 18, Cha: 10
    Discipline, Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword
    Concentrate (3), Diplomacy (3)

Valerie Rosewood
    Neutral Good Bard Human
    Str: 10, Dex: 14, Con: 8, Int: 12, Wis: 14, Cha: 18
    Armored Arcana (1), Lingering Song
    Bluff (4), Diplomacy (4), Spellcraft (3), Use Magic Device (3)
  • AeschylusAeschylus Member Posts: 57
    awesome characters :D
    After a bit of finagling this is what my "random" party ended up with (levels after Palisades fight):
    First the 5 random members -

1) Mordaki of Thay - M Human - Sorcerer - 3 - Party spokesman 10/10/12/14/12/18 (Xbow)

2)Nyzeil Nighthammer F Gray Dwarf - Fighter - 3 (EL4) - tank -18/12/16/10/12/6 (Hammers)

3) Harbesh Carver M Shield Dwarf - Rouge 1/Fighter 1 - 16/10/18/14/10/8 (back up tank sneak attacker)

4) Kebb Trapmaster - M Rock Gnome - Rogue 3 - party rogue 10/18/12/14/12/10 - (Bow - dual wielder)

5) Tianya - F Half-elf - Druid 3- (back up healer/summoner) 12/12/12/10/18/12 (sling - spear other)

Main PC -

Brother Brightaxe - M Aasimar - Battleguard of tempus 2 (EL3) - Healer - tank - 14/12/12/10/20/12 - (axes)

Made it through prologue without much issue but both Brightaxe & Harbesh died at the Palisade - was beginning to wonder if there was a bug when for a time EVERYONE (enemies included) kept rolling 1's over and over - had to run all over trying to shake the last dozen or so enemies & Caballus loose so we could all enter building to get healed (twice) - (for some reason the whole party has to enter together) but eventually got through without a reload with some help from Olap who also survived - don't think there were any other NPCs still alive at the end.