Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Series, and Icewind Dale Series Minimal Reload Challenge (Spoiler Warning!)

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited July 2013
    @CharlestonianTemplar, wow. I'm sorry you had such a bad time of it! I told myself when I started my first SCS run, that I was going to roleplay my toon within reason, but not at the expense of tactics and strategy. I think SCS really punishes you if don't use at least a little bit of metagaming. I would have gone on to the Temple of the Morning in Beregost after Silke. You had a good roleplay justification in that Garrick would know where it is, and really, you should just be able to ask people on the streets, "Is there a temple here? We need help!" People living in Beregost would know about that temple.

I've also found that mages in SCS like to go invisible when they get wounded, so they can run off and drink potions of extra healing. So, I've started preparing for it by keeping Invisibility Purge memorized. Jaheira can learn it, but I guess you had no access yet, because it's a third level spell. Garrick can probably also learn some invisibility control spells when he gets enough levels. Mages have two second level spells, Detect Invisibility and Glitterdust, that you could use.

As for those archers who raided the caravan, I spotted them before they saw me, and I knew better than to attack them with my first level party, so I backed up and avoided them, coming back when I was level 3 or 4. If you don't want to just use your foreknowledge of where everything is, you can still move about carefully and use a scout, try to spot a big battle, and avoid it until you're prepared.

That's a pity about that Color Spray spell wrecking your reputation and your welcome in the Nashkel Inn. Any AoE spell turns townspeople hostile if it hits them, so I'm careful not to use them. There's also a chance that Neira will cast Rigid Thinking, causing the victim to attack and kill innocents in the inn, and you still take the reputation hit. I think it's a good idea to have BGTweaks "Happy Party Pack" and "party members complain about reputation but don't leave" installed. Without that, you're in danger of losing your good and then your neutral party members. One time, in one of my past runs, Jaheira killed an inn patron while under Rigid Thinking, and then she left the party over her own murder as soon as the spell wore off. (I had her alignment changed to neutral good.)

I hope you won't get discouraged. I'd love to see you keep at it with SCS. I've avoided it for years, basically being a chicken, but I've found it satisfying to keep struggling with it. It mostly just makes the mage and cleric battles a whole bunch harder. I've also got "smarter deployment", but I've been handling that without much trouble. I haven't decided yet if I'm ever going to give the "tactical challenges" a try. There's "hard", and then there's "insane", but who knows. If I get used to the half-install of SCS I'm doing now, maybe I'll try a full install later. I still don't think I'll give those spiders Web spells, though! ;)

BTW - I wouldn't fret over that mod glitch that gave you Minsc at 4th level. It sounds like you desperately need those hit points. Just consider it a gift from the gods. :) And, if you carry this party on into BG2, it'll even out at higher levels. If it bothers you, though, just SK him down to 2nd level or something like that. Or, you could keep the 4 levels, but just adjust his xp down to match Charname's, so that he has to re-earn all that xp before he can go to level 5.
    Post edited by BelgarathMTH on
    @CrevsDaak, welcome to the challenge. Wow, murdering Firebead right out the starting gate. I guess you're doing a really evil, evil run, huh? Good luck, and I look forward to reading your updates.

@Draith012, oh yeah, avenger druid, okay. I missed that Jaheira was an avenger in your game, although I'm sure you mentioned it before. It kind of makes sense that a nature priestess would have access to the Web spell, from a story point of view.
  • Draith012Draith012 Member Posts: 174
    You're talking about that group bandits just south of FAI? I ran into them right after FAI since the rule of the forum was that we had to clear each area.
    edited July 2013
    @Draith012, I reviewed the first post. That doesn't say you have to clear every area as soon as you go there. It just says you have to clear it. I interpret that to mean that you can do things in a sensible order, but that he doesn't want you to go on to BG2 until you've done everything that can be done in BG1.

Also, @SapphireIce101 said he was okay giving us some flexibility and wiggle room with the rules in order to have fun.

EDIT: I looked at it again just to be sure. It also says in italics above the part about clearing areas "optional rules". It's possible that @SapphireIce101 might have added that in a later edit, but I don't know for sure. I really think the "spirit of the law" is for us to have fun sharing our runs, with some organizing rules in place, but not rigidly so.
    edited July 2013
    Chapter 15: Besting the Kobold Army

There were actually two attempts at our lives while we tried to get rest. Twice, a group of vengeful kobolds came charging our camp site. With the aid of the Amnish guards, the assault groups proved ineffective. We manage our rest regardless of their efforts. Upon awakening, we prepared ourselves and returned back into the furthest depths of the mines; back to the bridged gulch.
    Imoen: "Seems they set up some traps along the bridge."

She got to work and disabled the first trap when an arrow whizzed passed her head. Imoen quickly returned to the group.
    Imoen: "Like hell I'm gonna go any further!"
    Branwen: "Ready yourselves! They taken chase."

Kobolds started pouring onto the bridge. We took to the entrance of the cavern with me, Imoen and Jaheira slinging arrows and stones at approaching kobolds. Branwen was able to manage a blessing before engaging the front lines. Khalid stood nervously there, swinging his sword at the 'yipping demons'.

There was little in ways of maneuvering but I did prepared a spell that was more fitting. I began chanting in soft words as they began to fill the space in my hands. The spell held the words together and I sent it afloat towards the battlefield. It's placement was imperative as I couldn't let Khalid and Branwen here them. Once it reached it's destination, the whispers spilled out and into the ears of the nearby kobolds, bringing them to a slumber.

Even with a portion of them put to sleep, the numbers that were pouring out onto the bridge were many. Imoen and I had to focus our aim on the archers as Jaheira provided healing when needed. The blessing Branwen provided help us strike them down faster and push forward. In time, the kobolds were bested and the those that were in a slumber were slain as they were.

Exploring the southern caverns, it appeared that the whole area was dragged into the fight with us on the birdge. Might as well, we did not expended too many spells in the fight. The only noticeable thing was near the entrance to the cavern beyond was guarded by what seemed to be the chieftain and shaman. Imoen and I returned to the group.
    Fiona: "Ugh, I really not in the mood to deal with a spell caster and their guards."
    Jaheira: "Then shall we proceed as before?"

I nodded to Jaheira and she went on her way. She cast the webbing as she did the time before and the three of us made easy work of the remaining kobolds. Well, almost with ease. The chieftain manage to struggle free of the webs and shot Imoen with a poisoned arrow which she had to temperarily retreat and seek a cure via potion. Branwen healed the wound.

The cavern beyond seemed to be an opened dome with an island upon an underground lake. Upon the island was a pillar of the cavern's wall with a cave. A few kobold archers were guarding the bridge across. How quaint. You think that their attentiveness would afford them the luxury of a fair fight, but an elusive elf is no match for them. I snuck over to the other side and on que, Khalid and the others run out into the open, with Khalid and Branwen charging across the bridge. Imoen and Jaheira hailed arrows and stones at them. As the commander raised his fiery arrows to his bow, I obliterated him with one fell swoop of my sword. The kobolds panic and disburse. Some into the oncoming Branwen and Khalid, some backing into the wall. Their struggle was a short one.

Stepping into the cave within the cavern, we found the remaining kobold guards who were eager to rush to their deaths. I took the time to scout the rather cramp spacing of the cave. Through the southern bend of the cave appeared to be the perpetrator of this entire iron crises. To the east was a lone elf prisoner. I made the mistake of dealing with the prisoner first.
    Post edited by Draith012 on
    @Draith012, great action writing, as always. Nice cliffhanger and foreshadowing at the end there. Do you have "darkside kobolds" turned on in your SCS install? The one time I tried the Nashkel Mines scenario with that, I had a lot of trouble with kobold shamans casting Sleep spells.
    edited July 2013
    @belgarathmth yeah I do. I never had fought them before so I decided to take the easy way out and web them. It's pretty much auto hit for things that are webbed or entangle (not sure on the entangle but I rather have healing spells than entangle). I didn't think the mines were going to be so long to write, to be honest. But after having to kill the 49 kobolds earlier, it kinda felt important to mention.

Scouting is very handy for pre-buffing or prepared ambushes. Plus, you can hurled area spells on unexpecting enemies. Which is the point of Fiona, she wasn't meant to be the strongest character (which is why I lowered her initial strength score) but she uses her intelligence and ingenuity to best her foes.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Draith012 said:

Scouting is very handy for pre-buffing or prepared ambushes. Plus, you can hurled area spells on unexpecting enemies. Which is the point of Fiona, she wasn't meant to be the strongest character (which is why I lowered her initial strength score) but she uses her intelligence and ingenuity to best her foes.

This is actually one of the tactical challenges that took a while for me to get used to with the BG games. Sure there were rogue and stealthy classes in other games, but active scouting and trap-spotting never felt necessary as it does in BG. This is especially true for a first playthrough and you don't want to reload each time you run headlong into a battle unprepared.
    @belgarathmth

Regarding the Iron Throne battle... that's one of the encounters I REALLY dislike, even without buffed up enemy mages/clerics. It's not so much how difficult the battle is, but rather how it compels you to metagame.

Any situation where you are attacked on sight upon entering a new area gives you no chance to scout ahead and legitimately prepare without the foreknowledge that you are about to face a battle. I remember in my first BG EE playthrough, I just walked blindly into it and got wiped almost instantly. The second time I prep'd properly and split my party in two, attacking from both staircases simultaneously, and ended up winning quite easily.

This is a much bigger problem in BG 1 than BG 2 cos in BG 1, you don't have access to much in terms of long-lasting buff spells, and (at least in my case) I relied on potions a lot for buffs. So it felt awefully cheesy to drink a cocktail of potions in preparation for a battle that I can only be forewarned of because of metagame knowledge.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    So, I decided to play BG again.

Weapon Proficiencies: ** Long Bow, ** Two handed-weapon combat style, ** Dual-weapon Combat style
    Stealth: 65%

Mods:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
    // The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
    // ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
    ~DDRAWFIX/DDRAWFIX.TP2~ #0 #0 // DDrawFix -> Force DirectDraw Emulation: v1.0
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #100 // TobEx - Core: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #101 // Apply Concentration Check On Damage [WIP]: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #102 // Awaken On Damage: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #103 // Blindness As Spell Description: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #104 // Disable Stoneskin Grey Colour [C]: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #105 // No Spell Interruption On Zero Damage: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #106 // Use Caster Level On Mirror Image [C]: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #108 // Allow Equipping Armor in Combat: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #111 // Disable Silence On Charm: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #112 // Level One Proficiency Restrictions: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #113 // Remain Hidden On Pickpocket Success [C]: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #114 // Rest Spawns Advance Time: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #115 // Dialogue Greeting Subtitles: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #116 // Enable Animation Attack Sounds: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #117 // Universal Four Inventory Weapon Slots: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #118 // Subtitles For Standard Soundsets: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #120 // Drop Inventory on Disintegrate: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #121 // Drop Inventory on Frozen Death: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #122 // Drop Inventory on Stone Death: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #123 // Enable Auto-Pause On All Screens: Beta 0025
    ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #124 // Make All Attack Animations Genuine Attacks: Beta 0025
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes: v10
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1000 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update -> GTU Light (by Wisp): v10
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // BETA Core Fixes (please check the readme!): v10
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Party Gets XP for Sending Keldorn to Reconcile With Maria: v10
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #101 // Improved Spell Animations: v10
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #102 // Cromwell's Forging Actually Takes a Day: v10
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #103 // Mixed-Use Dagger Fixes: v10
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #104 // Ghreyfain's Holy Symbol Fixes: v10
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #106 // Giants Receive Penalties When Attacking Halflings, Dwarves, and Gnomes: v10
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #107 // Remove Dual-Classing Restriction from Archers and Stalkers: v10
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #108 // Remove Second Attribute Bonus for Evil Path in Wrath Hell Trial: v10
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #109 // Corrected Summoned Demon Behavior: v10
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #110 // Additional Script Fixes: v10
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #111 // Bard Song Fixes: v10
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #112 // Wizard Slayers Cause Miscast Magic on Ranged Attacks: v10
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #113 // Additional Alignment Fixes: v10
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #114 // Change Free Action to Protect Against Stun: v10
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #115 // Paws from Shapeshifting Can Not Be Dispelled: v10
    ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #116 // Remove Thieving Start Bonuses from Bard and Ranger Skills: v10
    ~SETUP-BGT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Core: 1.18 (28 Apr 13)
    ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // The BG1 NPC Project: Required Modifications: v20
    ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #1 // The BG1 NPC Project: Banters, Quests, and Interjections: v20
    ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #2 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Edwin his BG2 portrait: v20
    ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #3 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Imoen her BG2 portrait: v20
    ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #4 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Jaheira her BG2 portrait: v20
    ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #5 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Minsc his BG2 portrait: v20
    ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #6 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Viconia her BG2 portrait: v20
    ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #7 // The BG1 NPC Project: Kivan's "Kivan and Deheriana Companions" portrait: v20
    ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #8 // The BG1 NPC Project: Add Non-Joinable NPC portraits to quests and dialogues: v20
    ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #9 // The BG1 NPC Project: Ajantis Romance Core (teen content): v20
    ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #10 // The BG1 NPC Project: Branwen's Romance Core (teen content): v20
    ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #11 // The BG1 NPC Project: Coran's Romance Core (adult content): v20
    ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #12 // The BG1 NPC Project: Dynaheir's Romance Core (teen content): v20
    ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #13 // The BG1 NPC Project: Shar-Teel Relationship Core (adult content): v20
    ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #14 // The BG1 NPC Project: Xan's Romance Core (teen content): v20
    ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #15 // The BG1 NPC Project: Female Romance Challenges, Ajantis vs Xan vs Coran: v20
    ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #18 // The BG1 NPC Project: Alora's Starting Location -> Alora Starts in Gullykin: v20
    ~IEPBANTERS/SETUP-IEPBANTERS.TP2~ #0 #8 // Install Banter Accelerator? How much time would you like in between NPC banters in-game? -> 20 Minutes: 4
    ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #27 // The BG1 NPC Project: Bardic Reputation Adjustment: v20
    ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #29 // The BG1 NPC Project: Cloakwood areas availability in Chapter One -> Open four Cloakwood areas (everything but the Mines): v20
    ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #30 // The BG1 NPC Project: Sarevok's Diary Adjustments -> SixofSpades Extended Sarevok's Diary: v20
    ~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #200 // The BG1 NPC Project: Player-Initiated Dialogues: v20
    ~SETUP-BANTERPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // Pocket Plane Banter Pack for BG2: Shadows of Amn
    ~SETUP-BANTERPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Pocket Plane Banter Pack for BG2: Throne of Bhaal
    ~IEPBANTERS/SETUP-IEPBANTERS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Extended NPC-NPC Interaction SoA: 4
    ~IEPBANTERS/SETUP-IEPBANTERS.TP2~ #0 #1 // Extended Minsc/Aerie Interaction ToB: 4
    ~IEPBANTERS/SETUP-IEPBANTERS.TP2~ #0 #2 // Imoen "Retrospection" dialogue for BGII: ToB: 4
    ~IEPBANTERS/SETUP-IEPBANTERS.TP2~ #0 #3 // Wake-Up dialogue for Anomen Romance (By David Gaider with additions from Kulyok): 4
    ~IEPBANTERS/SETUP-IEPBANTERS.TP2~ #0 #4 // NPC Conflict Revisions: 4
    ~IEPBANTERS/SETUP-IEPBANTERS.TP2~ #0 #5 // Restored Aerie/Jaheira/Anomen interjection in Underdark: 4
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #60 // Weapon Animation Tweaks: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #70 // Icewind Dale Casting Graphics (Andyr): v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #110 // Icon Improvements: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #130 // Force All Dialogue to Pause Game: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #140 // Fix Boo's Squeak: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1010 // More Interjections: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1020 // Alter HP Triggers for NPC Wounded Dialogues: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1040 // Improved Athkatlan City Guard: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1090 // Exotic Item Pack: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1130 // Reputation Resets in BG2 (BGT Only): v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1161 // Multiple Strongholds (Baldurdash) -> Keep Class Restrictions: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1170 // Bonus Merchants (Baldurdash): v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1180 // Female Edwina: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1220 // Allow Cromwell to Upgrade Watcher's Keep Items: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2040 // Universal Clubs: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2090 // Change Experience Point Cap -> Remove Experience Cap: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2150 // Wear Multiple Protection Items -> P&P Restrictions: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2160 // Alter Weapon Proficiency System -> Rebalanced Weapon Proficiencies: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2192 // Limit Ability of Storekeepers to Identify Items -> Hybrid of Both Methods: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2240 // Un-Nerfed THAC0 Table: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2250 // Un-Nerfed Sorcerer Spell Progression Table: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2260 // Alter Mage Spell Progression Table -> Un-Nerfed Table (Blucher): v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2270 // Alter Bard Spell Progression Table -> Un-Nerfed Table (Blucher): v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2280 // Alter Cleric Spell Progression Table -> Un-Nerfed Table (Blucher): v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2290 // Alter Druid Spell and Level Progression Tables -> No Level Progression Changes, Un-Nerfed Druid Spell Table Only (Blucher): v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2300 // Triple-Class HLA Tables: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2320 // Trap Cap Removal (Ardanis/GeN1e): v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2330 // Remove Delay for Magical Traps (Ardanis/GeN1e): v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2340 // Remove Summoning Cap for Celestials (Ardanis/GeN1e): v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3031 // Easy Spell Learning -> 100% Learn Spells and No Maximum Cap: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3040 // Make Bags of Holding Bottomless: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3050 // Remove fatigue from restoration spells: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3060 // Remove "You Must Gather Your Party..." Sound (Weimer): v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3121 // Happy Patch (Party NPCs do not complain about reputation) -> NPCs Can Be Angry About Reputation but Never Leave (Salk): v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3125 // Neutral Characters Make Happy Comments at Mid-Range Reputation: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3150 // Turn Off The Hideous Cloak-of-Mirroring, Spell-Trap, and Physical Mirror Animations: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3183 // Romance Cheats: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3190 // Rest Anywhere (Japheth): v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3220 // Sensible Entrance Points: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4000 // Adjust Evil joinable NPC reaction rolls: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4010 // Improved Fate Spirit Summoning: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4031 // Consistent Stats: Edwin -> Use BG2 Values: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4041 // Consistent Stats: Jaheira -> Use BG2 Values: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4050 // Change Jaheira to Neutral Good: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4061 // Consistent Stats: Minsc -> Use BG2 Values: v12
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4071 // Consistent Stats: Viconia -> Use BG2 Values: v12
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #101 // 1ppv4: Core paperdolls
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #103 // 1ppv4: Extended palette entries -> Full install (recommended)
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #104 // 1ppv4: GUI additions for BGII
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #105 // 1ppv4: Avatar fixes
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #106 // 1ppv4: Female Dwarves -> Separate Avatars for Female Dwarves - Baldur's Gate II
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #111 // 1ppv4: Thieves Galore -> BGII - Unique Thief Avatars
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #113 // 1ppv4: Smart Avatar & Armour Switching
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #114 // 1ppv4: Softer Spell Effects
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #200 // 1ppv4: Core content patches
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #201 // 1ppv4: Consistent spell and scroll icons
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #202 // 1ppv4: Spell tweaks
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #203 // 1ppv4: Restored flame sword animations
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #204 // 1ppv4: Colourable Quarterstaves
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #205 // 1ppv4: Legacy Shields
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #206 // 1ppv4: Additional Shield Animations (core)
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #207 // 1ppv4: Wizards' Staves (core)
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #208 // 1ppv4: Additional Helmet Animations (core)
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #209 // 1ppv4: Attachable wings (core)
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #210 // 1ppv4: Increased paperdoll object variety (core)
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #400 // 1ppv4: Core updates and item patches
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #401 // 1ppv4: Improved projectile effects
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #300 // 1ppv4: Fixed animations for solars and elementals
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #301 // 1ppv4: Miscellaneous content fixes
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Nythrun's Level 1 NPCs: List party-joinable NPCs (required to install any NPC components): v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1 // Tweak weapon proficiencies for some classes (a la Ashes of Embers and aVENGER's Rogue Rebalancing): v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #4 // Joinable NPCs more closely match the player character's experience -> On initial joining and rejoining: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #51 // Balanced BG1 NPC attributes -> mos_anted's revision: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #55 // Dudleyfix for BG1 NPCs: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #60 // Fix BG1 NPC spells and innate abilities: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #100 // Update game references to NPC classes/kits: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #220 // Change Anomen's knighthood reward/penalty -> Wisdom +1 on passing; Wis -1 and Con +1 on failing: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1201 // Aerie: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1218 // Ajantis Ilvastarr: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1219 // Alora: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1220 // Branwen: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1203 // Cernd: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1221 // Coran: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1222 // Dynaheir: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1204 // Edwin Odesseiron: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1223 // Eldoth Kron: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1224 // Faldorn: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1225 // Garrick: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1205 // Haer'Dalis: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1206 // Imoen: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1207 // Jaheira: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1226 // Kagain: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1209 // Keldorn Firecam: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1227 // Khalid: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1228 // Kivan: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1212 // Minsc: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1229 // Montaron: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1213 // Nalia De'Arnise: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1231 // Safana: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1215 // Viconia De'Vir: v1.9
    ~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1235 // Xan: v1.9
    ~GENERALIZED_BIFFING/GENERALIZED_BIFFING.TP2~ #0 #0 // Generalized Biffing: v2.2

Difficulty: Normal

Now onwards with the first post!

Kythran was nearly done with his chores, which usually consisted of taking care of the native animals in Candlekeep, namely Neesa, and the two cats in the warehouse. That was when Gorion interrupted Kythran from his tasks, and told him to get equipped for a journey.

It was a couple of minutes after that talk that Kythran went to the inn, and equipped himself with a helmet, studded leather, and a composite longbow.

Then, Kythran went to help out the people, and animals of Candlekeep. Many of the inhabitants were grateful, while the others were very ungrateful. Kythran told Gorion that it was time to leave, and they left Candlekeep. However, Gorion's life was ended by an armored figure. Kythran was very ashamed of himself, for leaving Gorion.

Imoen found Kythran the next day, and Kythran knew that he couldn't leave Imoen in the wilderness all by herself, so it was decided that they were going to go to the Friendly Arm Inn together.

Current Party:
    Kythran: Beastmaster - 1
    Imoen: Mage/Thief 1/1

Reloads: 0

Notes: Hmm. So far so good?
    edited July 2013
    @SapphireIce101, yay, welcome back to the Founder of the Feast! And a beastmaster - interesting choice, with lots of roleplaying possibilities. I've always been intrigued by the idea of a character who can telepathically communicate with animals, not like the druids, but as a Tarzan archetype.

In the world of D&D, I think the idea of a beastmaster is awesome. I've even been intrigued by the feralan class that Unfinished Business added to my setup. I almost started playing Todek as a feralan instead of barbarian, but I chickened out because of the no armor.

Also, the familiar ought to give the beastmaster quite an edge at lower levels.

I look forward to seeing how your run plays out!
  • CharlestonianTemplarCharlestonianTemplar Member Posts: 855

@CharlestonianTemplar

...I would have gone on to the Temple of the Morning in Beregost after Silke. You had a good roleplay justification in that Garrick would know where it is, and really, you should just be able to ask people on the streets, "Is there a temple here? We need help!" People living in Beregost would know about that temple....

YUP. THAT WAS THE SMART PLAY AND I KNEW IT TOO. I WAS BEING TOO HARDHEADED W/MYSELF & MY ENJOYMENT SUFFERED B/C OF THAT. I'M GONNA START USING YOUR 'REALISTIC' IDEAS OVER MY RIGID 'ABSOLUTE NO FORESIGHT'.

...I've also found that mages in SCS like to go invisible when they get wounded, so they can run off and drink potions of extra healing. So, I've started preparing for it by keeping Invisibility Purge memorized... Garrick can probably also learn some invisibility control spells when he gets enough levels. Mages have two second level spells...Detect Invisibility and Glitterdust, that you could use....

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT SILKE DID. AND 'THEY' HAVE POTIONS OF 'EXTRA HEALING' WHICH I DON'T ALLOW MYSELF IN BGI. ALL GOOD IDEAS FOR FUTURE USE. IF INVISIBILITY IS THE 'TACTIC OF THE DAY' FOR WOUNDED MAGES IT ONLY MAKE SENSE THAT ADVENTURERS WOULD COME UP W/A WAY TO COUNTER!

...As for those archers who raided the caravan, I spotted them before they saw me, and I knew better than to attack them with my first level party, so I backed up and avoided them, coming back when I was level 3 or 4. If you don't want to just use your foreknowledge of where everything is, you can still move about carefully and use a scout, try to spot a big battle, and avoid it until you're prepared...

YOU JUST HAVE TO PICK YOUR BATTLES, AND SOMETIMES THAT MEANS WALKING AWAY UNTIL LATER. I SHOULD HAVE DONE SO.

...that's a pity about that Color Spray spell wrecking your reputation and your welcome in the Nashkel Inn. Any AoE spell turns townspeople hostile if it hits them, so I'm careful not to use them. There's also a chance that Neira will cast Rigid Thinking, causing the victim to attack and kill innocents in the inn, and you still take the reputation hit. ...

I'VE HAD THAT HAPPEN BEFORE IN BEREGOST AND NASHKEL. BUMS ME OUT B/C I'M ALL ABOUT THAT 20 REP!

...I hope you won't get discouraged. I'd love to see you keep at it with SCS....

NOPE. DRIVING ON. MY PC WILLBE STRUGGLING NOT TO 'DRINK' OVER HIS PERCEIVED FAILURE OF LEADERSHIP IN THESE EVENTS BUT HE'LL CHOOSE TO DRIVE ON W/A CLEAR HEAD.

BTW - I wouldn't fret over that mod glitch that gave you Minsc at 4th level. It sounds like you desperately need those hit points. Just consider it a gift from the gods. :) ....

AS LONG AS HE DOESN'T JUMP UP TO 8TH LEVEL OR SOMETHING NEXT TIME I LEVEL HIM UP, I'M OKAY W/IT. I KNOW THERE'S A GLITCH WHEN USING LVL1NPCS W/BARBARIANS SO I EXPLICITLY CHOSE BERSERKER TO AVOID THAT. MAYBE IT'LL BE OKAY.

HEADED OUT FOR A LONG WEEKEND WITH MY WIFE. WILL RESUME PLAY IN A FEW DAYS.

THANKS FOR THE PEP TALK. CT

Chapter 16: And That Was the End of Him

Fiona: "What's your story?"
    Elf: "Hm, I am but another adventurer sent to investigate these forsaken mines that, of course, inevitably failed in the process."
    Fiona: "Huh. Right. And what can you tell me about this place?"
    Elf: "I take it, you're not inquiring to the overall history of these mines... no, I suppose you wouldn't. This is the belly of the beast to that which has caused the illness that befell the iron ore. Mulahey, the half-orc over yonder, is the lead to their plot and thus leads these diabolical lizard-rats to the oncoming victory here."
    Fiona: "Not if I have something to say about that. You any good in a fight?"
    Elf: "That IS the question now isn't it? I can add my arcane powers onto yours, though as woefully pointless as it would be. Without my spellbook, I'm at a grave disadvantage and only equipped with a few enchantments spells."
    Fiona: "A fellow enchanter, aye?"
    Elf: "That is correct. Though Mulahey has my enchanted moonblade, it is only useful in my hands. It rests in the clutter of his chest to which the retrieval of would prove unlikely."
    Fiona: *sigh* "Right... guess any captive would be seemingly negative."
    Elf: "Would they? I only have come to realize the ripple of what one drop can have to an ocean that seeks to snuff it's significance out in its entirety."
    Fiona: "Just shut up and come. If you can't make yourself useful, then just hold off a blade or two."
    Elf: "Ultimately just a prologue to an otherwise overwhelming defeat. You may call me Xan."
    Fiona: "Xan? Shut up!"

The half-orc, Mulahey, was in his chamber by himself. With the five of us, there was no need to acknowledge him as a threat. We stroll in casually.
    Mulahey: "What?! How'd you get in here?"
    Fiona: "The front door, obviously. The question is: In what condition do you think you're leaving here?"
    Mulahey: "Tsk. You're the ones that been confronting my kobold army."
    Jaheira: "That's right, and if you value the reminder of your pitiful existence further, you'd tell us the mechanisms of your scheme."
    Mulahey: "Lier! You'd only cut me down in the telling! Kobolds! Get your arses in here already!"

Oddly enough, the scuffling of small creatures could be heard from the entrance of the cavern along with the clattering of some oddity. Where these beasties were hiding was beyond my knowing.
    Khalid: "T-there's skeletons among their ranks!"
    Fiona: "Wrong choice, Mulahey."

I instructed Khalid to block the door. His minions were only able to challenge Khalid single file. The rest of us focused on Mulahey whom, in his desperation, began to chant incantations. Xan made haste to Mulahey's chest and retrieved his moonblade.

Mulahey began panicking as strike after strike; we were landing our blows. He couldn't even manage a casting. He began to run about and beg for mercy. The thought almost made me laugh. Unexpectedly, a blue-flaming sword plunged into his chest like a hot knife cutting butter.
    Xan: "Take that you fiend!"
    Fiona: "Huh... That's not at all... never mind."

Khalid, brandishing Greywolf's sword, was cleaving through the kobolds and skeletons with ease. Branwen lent him her swordarm in the task. The demise of Mulahey was pitifully disappointing. Nevertheless, it was time to examine his belongings...

I suppose I shouldn't have been too surprise. Mulahey didn't have the brains to architect this scheme. From his letters, it appears he was under someone named Tazok whom is currently endeavoring in robbing the Sword Coast of its iron shipments.
    Fiona: "Well Jaheira, and now we can get the hell out of this pit."
    Jaheira: "Good, the sooner the better. I have no love for this atrocious cavity that these people made here."
    Xan: "If you seek a quick refuge from this place, I know of an exit around the other side of the cavern that leads to the surface above. Though, the crossing of the badlands would surely be our demise."
    Imoen: "Eh, who is this guy anyways?"
    Fiona: "It doesn't matter. Lets just move."

The other side of the cavern did provide us with a means to leaving the mines. The sunlight nearly blinded us when we finally emerged.
    @Draith012, brava! Excellent writing! I've never even thought of the tactic of taking Xan, and then getting him to get his Moonblade out of Mulahey's chest for the battle!

I forgot to post anything about my own run today, but nothing very interesting happened. I hunted and defeated Mutamin and the basilisks, together with the adventuring party on that map, with whom Todek didn't hesitate to respond to their insults to his honor by fighting. We cleared out the Red Wizards map with the spiders and ettercaps, and the ogres map with the ettercap cave. We proceeded to the Firewine Bridge map, and listened to the bard there. Garrick wants us to go back into the ruins and look for the ghosts of the knights in the song.

And that's about where I left things. We'll probably move from Firewine Bridge to Durlag's Tower, and play down to the first sub-level and the point of no return. I guess I'll decide whether to pass that point depending on how the battle with the Four Vices goes. If they cause a reload or more, or a near-reload, I may have us decide that we're not tough enough to go deeper, and to go back up north to check out the unexplored town of Ulgoth's Beard. I guess I'll play it by ear.
    I was having trouble with this fight originally, until I found out that the SCS mod for tough chapter 2 end boss was glitchy and was continuously spawning kobolds and skeletons nonstop. Had to uninstall it cause you're not suppose to get swarmed with 50+ enemies here. From what I read online in the forums, even when you kill Mulahey, they'll keep spawning and you have to flee the room fast enough before they block the exit or you won't ever get out.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited August 2013
    @belgarathmth
    She is going to be VERY evil, but Nahal's Reckless Dweomer as a lvl 2 Spell in BG:EE, it was like a bormal mage memorized Spell, and when I casted it (somehow, the lvl2 spell I created to hve the same effect as Nahal's RD works as a Wizard spell and not as a Sorcerer spell, so it weared of the first time I casted it) it dissapeared, so I'll be unable to cast it again.
    As I was unable to play more, I'm going to re-tell what I wrote before, now I have the full stats but I don't have enough time to play more.
    I started out having a Quartstaff equipped, so I didn't worried about buying things, so I used my three Crhomatic Orbs on Firebead to kill him, and exiting the inn when he started to cast a spell, Nahal's RD's wild surge got a "roll four more times"and then "caster targeted too", "weapons glow" , "polymorph" (into a wolf) and "pretty sparkles" with Crhomatic Orb, so Dárauin (it was time to post the name :D) took 3 points of damage and polymorphed into a wolf and ran over blinded Firebead to kill him, the lower THAC0, higher STR and attacks per round killed Firebead, who was unable to target her, nobody cared about his dead, and Dárauin equipped the unidentified Traveller's Robe and spend 5 GP to rest and get healed, choosed Magic Missile and got another lvl1 spell per day, talked to Gorion and saw how he died, without caring, she kicked Imoen after grabing her useful things and did the same with Montaron and Xzar, she got the diamond that was on a tree, saved the game and stopped playing.

Full stats

Abilities
    STR:11
    DEX:19
    CON:11
    INT:18
    WIS:12
    CHAR:14
    I rolled a 85 with her, :D

Proficiencies
    Quartstaff+

Spells
    Sleep
    Chromatic Orb
    Magic Missile (at lvl up)

Next time I'm going to post a largaer part of the story.

Edit: I forgot to say that I have the Experience cap removed and Imoen's wand is one of those from BG2 that have a total random effect, Angelo wears a Robe of Vecna and Hurgan Stoneblade has the Crom Faeyr. Some Honogoblins in Ulcaster Ruins (those with the second pair of Boots of Sealth) are almost impossible to kill, but their drops are awesome.
    Post edited by CrevsDaak on
    edited August 2013
    Chapter 17: The Return to Nashkil

Xan: "Aah, long have I envisioned the feel of the sun's embrace. Sadly, it is only a temporary respite before our treacherous voyage though these sun-beaten lands."
    Khalid: "I-i-is it th-that treacherous?"
    Xan: "Oh, the bleach-white surfaces in the distance is not simply the hue of the stones that litter this place."
    Jaheira: "Now that'll be just about enough out of you."
    Fiona: "Keep your minds about you. It could be a days travel back to Nashkil... Where are we?"
    Jaheira: "I'll say that we're about several miles southeast of Nashkil."

The area was hot and dry. We provisioned some water from the underground lake from below. Jaheira reassured us that, as long as the kobolds weren't urinating in it was safe to drink... I made Branwen cast a purification spell on the water.

Oddly, the place had a few burial caves nearby. All of which, had their occupant roaming about in an unholy existence. We helped ourselves to their coffins. Branwen couldn't have made a more sorrowful face.
    Branwen: "Now we're carrions to these cadavers?"
    Imoen: "Aw, it can't be all that bad. They shouldn't been up n' about if they were good corpses. I think of it as a reward for putting them at rest."

One man came screaming at us about return this dagger to the nearby grave. Upon examining it, it was an incredibly enchanted dagger. When the corpse came demanding for it's dagger back, I refused. Everybody protested.
    Fiona: "Like hell I'm giving this to him!"

A third burial chamber left us with a sweet pickings of gems and a magical wand. Because Xan had few spells in his makeshift spellbook, I applied his talents in learning a lore-seeker spell from which he had been quite helpful in identifying the numerous items we've been acquiring. A wand of summoning!
    Imoen: "O, let me see that!"
    Fiona: "You keep your wand of magic missiles darling, -I- will hold onto this one."

Imoen shoved her arms underneath each other with her face puffed up in that manner she always makes when she's about to pout.
    Imoen: "Hope it summons my back-hand up on your face..."
    Fiona: "Immy! Manners."
    Imoen: "You're stingier than Puffguts!"

She stuck her tongue at me and trotted off. She's just toying around, though I don't think some of us realize it.

The biggest surprise was the mage out in the wilderness testing a new spell that manipulated smiles, oozes and the like. I thought it'd be great to have access to such magics but the mage went off on a rant and started casting spells upon us.
    Fiona: "Seriously? Can we not find one person that doesn't try to kill us?!"
    Xan: "It is as I expected. Death follows our very footsteps."
    Fiona: "Gods how did you ever live this long?"

It was probably poor wording from my end. For Xan died to the mustard jellies that the mage controlled. Oddly, the mage had a series of mind altering spells and wasn't readily prepared to engaged us in an offensive combat. He tried slowing, mind numbing, charming and sleeping us in hopes that his jellies will do his dirty work. My familiar chased him about while the rest of us, those that were able, killed off the jellies. It was a tedious process as Imoen and Brenwen were asleep, Khalid was bewildered, Jaheira was enfeebled and thus rendered motionless by her own armor and Xan... well Xan was dead.

The fool mage ran out of spells, allowing me to reveal his chest cavity. Khalid came back to his senses and dealt with the slimes, as well as he should have, cognitive thinking impaired or not.

I wasn't given much choice about whether we revived Xan or not. To be honest, I think he would have wanted it my way. After all, he wasn't very fond of living. BUT mother dearest, AKA Jaheira, insisted that he should be saved for his part in our mission.

We made it to Naskil. Would you be surprised if I told you that someone tried to kill us? No. I didn't think you would be.
    @Draith012 - Yeah, I've heard that there a lot of critical bugs in the new SCS, which is why I'm some what avoiding it for a while.

Update number 2.

Kythran had some interesting conversations with the butterflies, Imoen just looked at Kythran weirdly as he did so. The butterflies were very helpful in giving Kythran directions to find Gorion's body. Kythran and Imoen took what they needed off of the corpses. Imoen and Kythran had a conversation about what attacked Kythran and Gorion not even a night before as Kythran buried Gorion properly.

Again, Kythran had another conversation with butterflies. They spoke of at least four people in the surrounding area, two that Kythran needed to be wary of. The first man gave Imoen directions to the Friendly Arm Inn, since Kythran wasn't really good with people, per se. The second and third were a pair, a Halfling named Montaron, and a human named Xzar. Kythran took their assistance, and asked if they could go to the Friendly Arm Inn before heading to Nashkel. The last person was near a wolf, he spoke of how there were bandits attacking along the road. Kythran, however, was trying to reason with the wolf to no avail.

A four hour trek later, and a man in red asked Kythran about his mental status. To which Kythran replied that questioning a person's mental status isn't really a good sign of mental health. There was another man just further up the road, telling the group that they should be quiet, at least until they get more people.

Eight hours later, they were finally at their destination, The Friendly Arm Inn. There were no animals around for Kythran to talk to. Therefore, he was going into the area completely blind. At the stairs the group was accosted by a mage, who was hunting for Kythran. Kythran's ears twitched as he heard the mage casting a spell, and nocked an arrow, aiming it at the mage and doing some damage to his shoulder. Imoen did the same, except hitting a different spot. Montaron and Xzar were stabbing the mage until he died.

Once the mage was dead, and everyone was safely inside, Kythran found who he needed to speak to. Khalid, and Jaheira. They promptly joined the group. Kythran also gathered new supplies, some arrows for Imoen, and a piece of Mail armor for Jaheira. Then they hit the road, Jaheira teaching Kythran about nature, and speaking to him about his gift. It was nice to know someone who didn't ask weird questions about why Kythran can mentally speak to animals. Before the group knew it, they were in Beregost.

Current Party:
    Kythran: Beast Master - 1
    Jaheira: Fighter/Totemic Druid - 1/1
    Khalid: Kensai/Mage/Thief - 1/1/1
    Montaron: Fighter/Assassin - 1/1
    Xzar: Necromancer - 1
    Imoen: Wild Mage/Thief - 1/1

Notes: Yes, Kythran isn't an expert ranger yet. I figure if I get Kivan into the group, that's when Kythran can learn about being a ranger, properly. This coupled with Jaheira's guidance will make him a good servant of nature. At least I would hope.
    Lol wow! Khalid is much different in this one O.O
    Draith012 said:

Lol wow! Khalid is much different in this one O.O

I'm a really evil person sometimes. :P

I noticed imoen is a multiclass(?). Did you change her race for this?
    @Draith012 - No, I just used the level 1 NPCs mod.
    edited August 2013
    Chapter 18: The Assassin Nimbul

We were on our way to the general store when a hooded man accosted us.
    Assassin: "The toll bell sings for thee. Present thyselves and the cut shall be cleaner."
    Fiona: "First off: No. Second..."

He didn't give me much of a chance to finish my thought. He manifested a barrier around him and expelled a cloud of toxic fumes. Khalid, Jaheira and Branwen were overtaken by them. Imoen and I fell back to where the smoke did not reach and began pelting him with arrows. It didn't take long for him to raise another barrier that averted the motion of oncoming projectiles, by then Jaheira had crawled out of the gas and into the alleyway between the general store and inn. Imoen and I tried to get away, in hopes he would give chase.

Imoen didn't get far when he smite her with magic missiles. Branwen was determine to bare the gas and engage him in close combat for harming her charge. Several times she fell trying to reach him. She too was brought to defeated.

When the gas cleared, Khalid was finally able to get up. Jaheira hid behind the store to regroup and I took to the shadows before he could find me. Khalid landed a sound blow to the assassin's head and brought him to flee. He clearly used up the remainder of his magics on Branwin and Imoen and we descended down upon him to finish the job. I dare say, he has been the most successful assassin so far. But not good enough.

After reviving everybody, Xan included, we paid for a room at the end. This assassin, Nimbul, had a note from his employer. What's troubling was that the letter specifically want me dead. Not only that, but it was by the same hand to which had written Mulahey, the half-orc kobold dungleader. So Tazok has a hand in all the attempts on my life as well as the this iron crisis. I hated the thought that my life veered on the edge of something greater than me. We all agreed to go to Beregost to meet with a messenger that the letter referred to. Until what happened the coming night.

I had another strange dream. It was though I was reliving the events at the Nishkil mines. This time, I was passing through the tunnels and cutting through those bipedal filth on my own. I even came upon Mulahey. The wound Xan gave him was burning brighter this time. His bitter face was scolding me with its glares. I found the circumstance humorous.
    Fiona: "You can not hurt me."

I thought as I smirked with glee. I took up pace and I brought my sword-arm up in the air, as though I had the weight of my sword on me. My hand clasped that air; the felt of a stiff dry handle in my palm. Without looking, I stabbed the blade into Mulahey's neck. I continued. Raising my arm and ramming my fist down onto him, the dagger flinging blood as it left his flesh. I did this. Until he faded away. But I was not satisfied.

I turned to the wall and I had felt something there. Another. I pressed myself against the wall. Pushing it aside as though it was but a rug. I kept pushing and pushing with the dirt brushing against my cheeks. And I stabbed at it. I couldn't stop myself. Every part of my being demanded me to stab at it. I found myself on the tavern floor. Bloodied.

It took me several moments to realize the situation. Blood was crawling down my face. My blood. I had stab Branwen several times with the dagger Fuller gave me. And there beyond Branwen was Imoen, curled up and sobbing. I had apparently attacked my closest friend in my sleep.

There seemed to have been a whisper in the back of my head, though much of it has disappeared from memory. Something to do with what was "bred in the bones".

I looked up to see Jaheira between the two of us, arguing with Branwen. Trying to get up, I realized I was being held down. Khalid was beside me, arms fasten around me. Noticing him there suddenly like that brought me to startle and nearly panic. He struggled to keep me still when our eyes locked. Khalid starred with a frightened look and said...
    Khalid: "J-Jaheira, look... her eyes!"

Both Branwen and Jaheira turned to look and they both starred at me with all seriousness.

Fiona Winters: Enchanter/Thief 3/4
    Khalid: Fighter 4
    Branwen: Cleric 4
    Jaheira: Avenger/Fighter 3/3
    Imoen: Swashbuckler 5
    Xan: Enchanter 2
    Post edited by Draith012 on
    edited August 2013
    @Draith012 - Rofl, Bread in bones. Seems quite Shrek-ish to me.

Update 3.

Kythran was really awestruck by the sight of Beregost. It was his first time in such a small village, unlike the Friendly Arm Inn which was more of a fortress like Candlekeep. Before Kythran knew what was going on, Imoen grabbed his hand and led him around the small village, until she found a bard named Cameron Tofer Garrick. Cameron Tofer's Garrick's mistress, Silke, needed some help, as she was going to be attacked by some thugs. So, Cameron Tofer Garrick, led the way to Silke. When, Kythran realized that Silke was the bad person here, he turned on her, and shot some arrows into her, along with Imoen. Khalid cast a magic missile spell at her while Xzar cast a minor drain on her. Then a couple of hits with Jaheira's club, and Montaron's swords, and Silke was nothing more than a corpse.

With that, Kythran decided to let Cameron Tofer Garrick join the group, and leaving Xzar and Montaron next to Silke's corpse.

That battle was rather exhausting, so the party went into the building next to them, only to find another assassin that was after Kythran's long, brown, and wild hairy mug. Of course, Imoen, Cameron Tofer Garrick, and Kythran shot arrows into the assassin while Jaheira smacked him with her club, and Khalid slashed at him with his dual-short swords.

Next, the group headed west, where they met a ranger named Clint Eastwood Kivan. Clint Eastwood Kivan was hunting down an ogre that killed his wife, Deheriana. Kythran couldn't really deny a fellow ranger that. So, they took him a long.

A couple of days later, the group was in Nashkel. Where they found another assassin the inn. Jaheira did her job, and took some spells as Khalid slashed, and Imoen, Kythran, Cameron Tofer Garrick, and Clint Eastwood Kivan, shot arrows into her. Imoen also used a charge from her wand of magic missile.

Kythran rested after that, and had a dream about Gorion, Candlekeep, and what path he should take.

Current Party:
    Kythran: Beast Master - 1
    Jaheira: Fighter/Totemic Druid - 1/1
    Khalid: Kensai/Mage/Thief - 1/1/1
    Imoen: Wild Mage/Thief - 1/1
    The Bard Formerly known as Cameron Tofer Garrick: Skald - 1
    The Ranger known as Clint Eastwood Kivan: Archer - 1

Notes: I apologize now for making the Cameron Tofer reference constantly, as well as the Clint Eastwood reference. Its just...ITS SO HARD NOT TO DO IT! Hopefully, next update I won't be so silly about it. Har. I'm starting sense that if get Coran its going to be the Rogue known as Zevran, and constantly calling him Zevran...Because I'm weird like that. Heh.
    edited August 2013
    Update, The Nordic Warriors, 080813

-We took Garrick back into the Firewine Bridge ruins to look for the ghost knights described in the poem of the other bard. We found them. They weren't very talkative, other than some nonsense about "all as one, or none," or something like that. Then, we also found a skeleton knight. Before we killed it, it said "Take my armor, please!" So we did, and returned it to the ghost knights. That did it. Apparently one of their own had betrayed them to get that armor, but they could not go on to the spirit world without the spirit of the traitor, because of an oath. I felt good about sending more than a half dozen tormented spirits to their rest.

-We encountered a sword-wielding fool who challenged me to a duel, claiming he was the best swordsman in the land. Honor demanded that I fight him. He was easy for me to defeat, and I got a pair of magic gauntlets from him that increase my damage in combat.

-We encountered a crazy woman with a jar. I tried to offer to help her, but she was having none of it, and claimed that she would summon a demon spirit from the jar if we didn't leave her alone. I'm pretty sure that was just an empty jar, but we left the poor woman alone to her madness.

-We decided to press south to check out the fabled Durlag's Tower. There was a strange merchant here claiming to be selling things we would need. We bought five Potions of Perception, to bolster Imoen's thieving abilities, which are not that good, thanks to her obsession with magic and becoming a witch.

-We had to fight two battle horrors on the way to the tower. They were no match for us.

-Exploring the entrance and the upper floors of the tower went fairly smoothly. Imoen went up a staircase to the roof, trying to explore, and came running back down screaming bloody murder about a basilisk! I quickly gulped a Potion of Mirrored Eyes, and ran to intercept whatever she was running from. Sure enough, I had to kill a basilisk chasing her. I went upstairs where she had gone, and found at least four more of the monsters! I had to use all but one of our Potions of Mirrored Eyes! I have instructed both Imoen and Garrick to keep one Protection from Petrification spell memorized at all times, from now on.

-We encountered a ghost on the third upper floor. This was a difficult monster to defeat. It had some Protection from Magic Weapons of some sort, and partial Invisibility. Branwen cast her Invisibility Purge, which helped tremendously. I found myself wishing to Tempus that we had all been carrying normal weapons! I had heard but forgotten that some magical casters and creatures were immune to any weapon with enchantment! Fortunately, it had not the ability to magically protect itself from arrows and bullets, nor Magic Missiles. I will buy normal, unenchanted weapons for every party member at the first opportunity, against another such creature.

-There was a horrific succubus on the top floor, who called herself Kirindale. We were not prepared to face a demon! I expected a much harder fight here, and possibly our deaths, but, by the grace of Tempus, she turned out to be *extremely* vulnerable to Yeslick's and Branwen's Holy Smite magic, as well as to my rage and magic hammer.

-We headed back down to the entry level, and started descending into the dread sub-levels of the place. On the very first dungeon level, we met a fleeing adventurer, who warned us of a demon prince below. We are in no way powerful enough to face a demon prince. Tempus demands that we not flee from battle, but he does not demand that we commit suicide by deliberately seeking an unwinnable battle with a demon. I wondered whether this demon prince might be behind the troubles of the Sword Coast, and that it was the enemy I must eventually face to avenge Gorion. But, every piece of evidence we had pointed to Rieltar. And, we knew that Rieltar had gone to Candlekeep. So, I decided that we must leave the terrible Tower, and return to Candlekeep.

-We gave the gatekeeper of Candlekeep the book we had obtained from the Iron Throne, and he gave us admission. We already knew that Rieltar was supposed to be meeting with allies on the top floor of the library, so, we proceeded straight there. On the way, we met a very odd fellow by the name of "Koveras". We had been warned by my former mentors and friends about him. He tried to get me to take a ring that he said belonged to Gorion, and I intended to take it on his word, but first I asked him some questions - and, he described the exact battle scene from the night Gorion died. No one knew these details but Gorion, Imoen, and I. When I asked him how he knew such things, he insulted us and disappeared! This was very ominous to us. But still, we pressed on to the top floor of the library.

-On the top floor, we found Rieltar and his allies, as we had been told. I was considering what to do, when mighty Yeslick stepped forward. I had forgotten that Rieltar was the one who had slain Yeslick's clan! Yeslick exchanged insults with Rieltar, and attacked! Of course, I understood and supported him, and I flew into a battle rage!

imageimage

-Rieltar was supported by thieves, a cleric, and a mage! Poor Yeslick immediately fell to a Confusion spell! Damned Lokispawn! Imoen and Garrick lit up the very air with Magic Missiles by dozens!

The cleric attacked Garrick, Imoen, and Faldorn; Branwen and I attacked the mage. We quickly had a pitched battle on two fronts! The mage tried to go Invisible, but Branwen revealed him with Invisibility Purge. Confused Yeslick and their warrior ran off into a corner, still exchanging blows. Faldorn cast a Summon Nymph, and I was surprised at the effectiveness of the nymph - she single-handedly engaged the enemy archer with Cause Wounds, she healed us, and she Held the archer, and Dominated the fighter. I think I should order Faldorn to summon that nymph more often!

imageimageimageimage

-We stood victorious over Rieltar! Yeslick was jubilant! I knew I should be yelling the victory shout, but, looking at the corpses strewn about us in the Candlekeep Library, I was taken with a feeling of doom. Why? I had a terrible feeling that killing these enemies here could mean something very bad. Would the Law of Candlekeep name us heroes? Or were we to be seen as villains? And who was the mysterious Koveras? It was almost as though he had *wanted* us to slay Rieltar. A shudder ran down my spine.

Reloads: 2 (random ogre mage, Iron Throne Gang No. 1)
    Average party level: 7
    edited August 2013
    Please ignore this post - had trouble with formatting commands on the above, posted a second post in fear that I had lost over thirty minutes of writing!
    @belgarathmth

Nice writing. Is it just me or has Todek become more religious all of a sudden :D

Also at least you won't be 'framed' for the murder of the Iron Throne leadership like Jin and his friends. lol
    edited August 2013
    @Heindrich1988, LOL. Nope, we won't be "framed", since we're totally "guilty as charged".

Todek's love for Branwen has deepened his faith in Tempus. Tempus is kind of the logical god for barbarians anyway, as supported by the story of Icewind Dale. He's also heavily inspired by Chris Hemsworth as Thor. Substitute "Odin" for "Tempus", and, that's Todek's "faith", in a nutshell. ;)
    edited August 2013
    Chapter 19: A Bump in Every Road

A few days had passed now. Jaheira and Khalid were playing middle-man between the two inns. I spent the time conjuring up the lore of the assorted items we had obtained during our trip through the mines.

Down the road in Nashkil, Imoen and the others were putting up residents at the local bar. Mother Dearest thought it best to have us in different places. So I decided to pick up a hobby of drinking the inn's ale until I have vastly forgotten the events of that night.

Jaheira came in to discuss our next course of action. Tranzig was the name of the messenger that was waiting for both Mulahey and Nimbul. Seeing as one of the two was part of the collective effort that has been trying to kill me, Jaheira agreed that it is my right to come along and deal with the issue. However, if I was to go, Imoen was elected to remain behind. That also included Branwen, who is now her personal bodyguard.

With the passing of eight hours, I found myself in Beregost with Jaheira and Xan. Khalid was to stay with Branwen and Imoen. For whatever reason Jaheira decided this, as I'm certain it was her decision in the end, she wasn't going to depart her reason as to why.

Tranzig wasn't very hard to find. He had the most expensive room in Fildepost's Inn. He resisted interigation, a course of action that left him broken on the floor. Killing him was easy enough. What wasn't easy was the band of assassins lead by one Molkar waiting outside the inn for us.
    Molkar: "It has been a fortnight since we began our search for you. I apologize for our delay for surely you had to deal with all manner of pathetic assassins before our coming. Allow me to recitify that."
    Fiona: "Tell Tazok that I'm getting mighty tired of killing all his thugs for him."
    Molkar: "Let's determine that here and now."
    Fiona: "Right. Xan."

With a mutter and a gesture, Xan had charmed Molkar. Molkar's priest companion didn't get much of a chance to begin casting before Molkar slashed his blade upon him. Jaheira threw out her casting of webbing and I tried to blind the priest. He was slippery than most.

The mage and thief both evaded the webs in time and the cleric ran off with Molkar chasing him. My familiar blinded the thief who than proceeded in swiping his blade about in futility. The mage, on the other hand, summoned up a multitude of images of himself and quaffed a potion of hastening.

I decided it was my turn and I put my arcane practices to the test. Through my training, I had conjured a visage of horror within their minds, sending the thief and the cleric to flee. The thief ran back into the webs and was stuck there. Jaheira wasted no time in scoring a few hits with her sling on the fumbling fool. There were screams of panic all about the plaza in the middle of the night.

The mage took his vengeance on Xan and wounded him deep. Xan, in his usual disposition of hope and optimism, ran like a halfling on fire. Unfortunately for Xan, the effects of his earlier spell had worn off and Molkar bared down on him, crushing the life out of Xan. Molkar's cleric friend was gravely injured by the time he returned.

With Xan gone, I grabbed for my wand of summoning and brought forth six gnoll soldiers. They act quickly in attacking the gnome mage. A few harsh blows and the mage grabbed for a scroll and recited the words upon it. He successfully put all the gnolls and Jaheira to sleep.

Things weren't looking well at this point. I took to running, along with my familiar. Molkar and the cleric took chase. I wouldn't fault them for their logic, but if they knew just how quickly I can disappear within the shadows once I turned the corner, they would have stayed with their rogue and mage companion. Instead they hesitated for a bit and then took after my familiar. My smart little imp took them on a tour guide across Beregost.

I exited from one of the alleyways to find the rogue and mage. They had killed Jaheira in her sleep. Divide and conjured as they say. I summoned an ogre before them. He grabbed the mage in a split second and popped his skull like a honeydew melon. The thief took offense to this and attacked the ogre in a blind rage. He wasn't very effective as the ogre bashed him about the street. He was a sturdy one at that.

Molkar and the priest gave up on my familiar and returned back to where the fight originally began. They came back just in time to see their elusive prey surgically remove the kidney out of their dwarven friend. I gave them a casual look, a slight smirk on my face, and strolled off into another alleyway. The ogre bashed his clubbed on the ground and charged them.

Shamefully, the ogre wasn't much of a match for Molkar but it did afford me an opportunity. As the Molkar brought the ogre to a triumphant fall, he turned to see Greywolf's sword piercing the priest's throat. I must hand it to Greywolf. He chose his swords well. Why even the spine didn't resist such a keen blade.
    Fiona: "And now there was just one. Congratulations Molkar, you're living up to the other assassins legacies."
    Molkar: *snort* "Quite the fiery bitch you are. But you're out of tricks to save your hide from me!"
    Fiona: "No?"

I depended on my wand of summoning one last time and out beneath my feet, the grass teared open as the heads of large wolves began to push their way out of the ground and onto the battlefield. Each stood five feet tall, with all four legs on the ground. Dire wolves.
    Fiona: "Tear him apart."

They all bared down on Molkar, ripping him to shreds. He struggled for awhile and even killed three of them but I took my time to stroll over to one end of him and with one great swoop, I carved up his torso. The assassin known as Molkar and his marry band of murderers were no more.

I looked about the street. Death had left its mark all about me. Even my friends didn't survived the encounter. As for me, I suffered a few wounds and I had no idea where my familiar took off to. There was no doubt about it: I was gonna need help.

Fiona Winters: Enchanter/Thief 3/4
    Jaheira: Avenger/Fighter 3/3
    Xan: Enchanter 2
    @Draith012, I'm curious for your OOC reasons for dropping Branwen and Imoen. Also, who is Molkar? Is that part of a mod? Also, I assume you didn't let Branwen know that you were going after Tranzig, since he's the one who turned her to stone. Surely she would have insisted on delivering the death blow herself.