Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Series, and Icewind Dale Series Minimal Reload Challenge (Spoiler Warning!)

1252627282931»

Comments

• SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    Initially, I was going to write this like a story from Alexa's PoV, but I've decided to save that for its own thread, as well as updating those semi-awful biographies at some point.

Also, I forgot the mods, and the difficulty. The Difficulty is Core.

Mods:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
    // The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
    // ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
    ~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #11 // Install new spells -> Only add spells if not present from other mods: v8
    ~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #100 // Cleric Remix: v8
    ~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #103 // Install Silverstar of Selune Cleric Kit: v8
    ~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #118 // Install Authlim of Iyachtu Xvim Cleric Kit: v8
    ~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #124 // Install Heartwarder of Sune Cleric Kit: v8
    ~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #127 // Install Feywarden of Corellon Cleric Kit: v8
    ~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #200 // Druid Remix: v8
    ~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #203 // Install Oozemaster Druid kit: v8
    ~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #403 // Install Bowslinger Ranger Kit: v8
    ~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #406 // Install Feralan Ranger Kit: v8
    ~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #409 // Install Forest Runner Ranger Kit: v8
    ~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #412 // Install Justifier Ranger Kit: v8
    ~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #415 // Install Wilderness Runner Ranger Kit: v8
    ~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #0 // Proper dual-wielding implementation for Thieves and Bards: v4.80b2
    ~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #1 // Thief kit revisions: v4.80b2
    ~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #3 // Proper racial adjustments for thieving skills: v4.80b2
    ~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #4 // Bard kit revisions: v4.80b2
    ~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #6 // Proper spell progression for Bards: v4.80b2
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #100 // Restore innate infravision to Half-Orc characters: v4.40b2
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #102 // Change Spiritual Hammer into a ranged force weapon: v4.40b2
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #103 // Allow Dispel/Remove Magic to take down Globes of Invulnerability: v4.40b2
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #104 // PnP Color Spray: v4.40b2
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #105 // PnP Dimension Door: v4.40b2
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #115 // Allow Mages to scribe memorized spells onto scrolls -> Scrolls can be scribed everywhere: v4.40b2
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #120 // Restore innate disease immunity to Paladins: v4.40b2
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #125 // Rangers' Animal Empathy improves with experience: v4.40b2
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #130 // Additional racial traits for Dwarves: v4.40b2
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #140 // Additional racial traits for Gnomes: v4.40b2
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #211 // Make Death Ward protect against Vorpal Hits: v4.40b2
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #210 // Restore the Dispel Magic vulnerability to Nishruu and Hakeashars: v4.40b2
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #212 // Make alignment detection spells more accurate: v4.40b2
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #213 // Expanded saving throw bonus tables for Dwarves, Gnomes and Halflings: v4.40b2
    ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #510 // Expanded temple services: v4.40b2
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #60 // Weapon Animation Tweaks: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #110 // Icon Improvements: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #130 // Force All Dialogue to Pause Game: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1010 // More Interjections: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2040 // Universal Clubs: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2060 // Weapon Styles for All: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2151 // Wear Multiple Protection Items -> No Restrictions: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2160 // Alter Weapon Proficiency System -> Rebalanced Weapon Proficiencies: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2192 // Limit Ability of Storekeepers to Identify Items -> Hybrid of Both Methods: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2200 // Multi-Class Grandmastery (Weimer): v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2210 // True Grandmastery (Baldurdash): v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2220 // Change Magically Created Weapons to Zero Weight: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2240 // Un-Nerfed THAC0 Table: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2250 // Un-Nerfed Sorcerer Spell Progression Table: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2260 // Alter Mage Spell Progression Table -> Un-Nerfed Table (Blucher): v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2280 // Alter Cleric Spell Progression Table -> Un-Nerfed Table (Blucher): v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2290 // Alter Druid Spell and Level Progression Tables -> No Level Progression Changes, Un-Nerfed Druid Spell Table Only (Blucher): v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2320 // Trap Cap Removal (Ardanis/GeN1e): v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2330 // Remove Delay for Magical Traps (Ardanis/GeN1e): v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2339 // Remove Summoning Cap for Regular Summons: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2351 // Alter Multiclass Restrictions -> Allow non-humans acces to all multiclass combinations: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2360 // Remove Racial Restrictions for Single Classes: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2380 // Remove Racial Restrictions for Kits: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3031 // Easy Spell Learning -> 100% Learn Spells and No Maximum Cap: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3050 // Remove fatigue from restoration spells: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3073 // Change Effect of Reputation on Store Prices -> Reputation Has No Effect, Stores Price Fixed at 60% (Luiz): v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3150 // Turn Off The Hideous Cloak-of-Mirroring, Spell-Trap, and Physical Mirror Animations: v16
    ~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3190 // Rest Anywhere (Japheth): v16

First update.

Michael lead the group around Easthaven, helping everyone that he could. Alexa learned a song from a sea elf.

Next, they went to find the Caravan! They fought their way through the cavern, until they found an ogre. Unforunately, Nadia's sleep spell only put one orc to sleep, which left a very awake Ogre to pound on Alexander, and Kai. Kai used the ability Kai, Alexander used his Rage, Michael cast Bless and Remove Fear, as well as Light Cure Wounds. However, it wasn't enough, and Kai died to the ogre.

They returned to Easthaven, and resurrected Kai. They turned in some more quests, and then headed to Hrothgar. On the way to Kuldahar, an avalanche occurred, and most of the Expedition was wiped out.

Current Party:
    Michael St. Claire - Holy Justice of Tyr: 2
    Alexander Knight - Berserker: 2
    Kai Yuki - Kensai: 2
    Kelli Bigtoes - Shadowdancer: 3
    Nadia Darkshadow - Wild Mage: 2
    Alexa Moonsong - Bard: 3

Reloads: 0

New Equipment: Fire Dagger +1 equipped on Kelli.

New Spells: Horror and Protection from Petrification learned by Nadia.

Notes: Alexander is probably going to dual to druid at level 3, while Kai is probably going to dual to mage at either 9 or 13. Also, yes, Kelli is supposed to be Adamanta's adoptive ancestor.
    Mmkay. A new update!

The group cleared the Kuldahar pass. They saved a boy from the orcs and goblins that were pillaging the home. Sadly, they couldn't do anything for the boy's family. Nadia used about four sleep spells throughout the whole area.

They reached Kuldahar, spoke to Arundel to find out they needed to go to the Vale of Shadows to investigate some more. However, the group did some things around Kuldahar, such as buying more supplies, and investigating the new owner of the Inn. Which, Michael being the lawful man, told the owner to turn himself in for basically being a fraud.

Now the party is resting in the Inn.

Current Party:
    Michael St. Claire - Holy Justice of Tyr: 3
    Alexander Knight - Berserker < Druid: 3 < 1
    Kai Yuki - Kensai: 3
    Kelli Bigtoes - Shadowdancer: 3
    Nadia Darkshadow - Wild Mage: 2
    Alexa Moonsong - Bard: 3

New Equipment: A new Katana for Kai Yuki, Studded Leather armor, a spear, and a sling for Alexander Knight.

New Spells: Magic Missile and Blur for Nadia. Chromatic Orb and Friend for Alexa.

New Memorized Spells: Cure Moderate Woundsx2, and Draw upon Holy Might for Michael. Light Cure Woundsx2 and Shillelagh for Alexander. Magic Missilex2 and Armor for Nadia. Chromatic Orb and Friend for Alexa.

Notes: I just realized that I could dual Michael, but I feel like that would be kind of pointless, and I would lose my main healer/tank.
    Cleared most of the tombs, the yeti cave, and the outer Vale of Shadows. Michael made a lot of undead scatter with his turn undead abilty!

The party returned to Kuldahar to stock up on items, as well as rest to learn some new spells!

Current Party:
    Michael St. Claire - Holy Justice of Tyr: 4
    Alexander Knight - Berserker < Druid: 3 < 3
    Kai Yuki - Kensai: 4
    Kelli Bigtoes - Shadowdancer: 4
    Nadia Darkshadow - Wild Mage: 3
    Alexa Moonsong - Bard: 4

Group MVP: Kai Yuki with 116 kills altogether for right now.

New Equipment: Mace+1 on Michael. Yeti Hide Armor+1 on Alexander. Dagger+1 on Kelli. Sling+1 and Chain Mail+1 on Alexa.

New Spells: Color Spray, Grease, Identify, Infravision, Invisibility, Luck, Melf's Acid Arrow, Stinking Cloud, and Strength on Nadia. Mirror Image on Alexa.

New Memorized Spells: Light Cure Wounds and Cure Moderate Wounds on Michael. Sunscorch, Cure Moderate Woundsx2 and Barkskin on Alexander. Melf's Acid Arrowx2 on Nadia. Mirrior Image on Alexa.

Notes: May need to get more spells for Alexa soon. Hah.
    edited December 2014
    Err, I would have updated this last week, but something bad happened, and I had to go up North to the coldness of Minnesota for a week. Bad attempt at an IWD Joke? Maybe.

The party cleared all levels of the tomb.

They killed Lysan, and returned to Kuldahar, and were already sent to the next place to solve the issue that was plaguing Kuldahar.

Current Party:
    Michael St. Claire - Holy Justice of Tyr: 5
    Alexander Knight - Berserker < Druid: 3 < 5
    Kai Yuki - Kensai: 5
    Kelli Bigtoes - Shadowdancer: 6
    Nadia Darkshadow - Wild Mage: 5
    Alexa Moonsong - Bard: 6

New Equipment: Morningstar +1, and Black Wolf Talisman on Michael. Katana +1 on Kai. Static Dagger+1, Gauntlets of Weapon Skill, and Girdle of Gond on Kelli. Sling +1 on Alexander. Mage Robe of Cold Resistance, Wand of Armory, Wand of Magic Missiles and Bracers of Defense A.C. 8 on Nadia.

Notes: Alexander is leveling up fast! If I wanted to make a new IWD NPC I would probably pick Alexa or Kelli.
    The group cleared the temple of the forgotten gods.

They went back to Arundel, and was sent to Dragon's Eye. Well, not before upgrading the Girdle of Gond.

Current Party:
    Michael St. Claire - Holy Justice of Tyr: 5
    Alexander Knight - Berserker < Druid: 3 < 6
    Kai Yuki - Kensai: 5

New Equipment: Plate Mail +1 and Ring of Missile Deflection on Michael.

Notes: I thought the Temple of the Forgotten Gods was going to be a lot harder than I thought, but it was a relative cakewalk. Also, Alexander is moving right along with his druid levels.
    Cleared the first level of Dragon's Eye.

Kai and Kelli died during the fight with the Lizard King. Alexander was mute, so he could not cast healing spells, and Michael was busy tanking the other Lizards.

Current Party:
    Michael St. Claire - Holy Justice of Tyr: 6
    Alexander Knight - Berserker < Druid: 3 < 6
    Kai Yuki - Kensai: 6

New Equipment: Spinesheath +1 on Kelli, and Erevain's Broad sword +2 on Alexa.
    Cleared the Second Level of Dragon's Eye.

This level was a lot more difficult, especially at the priest of Talona/troll combination in that one room. Ick, and only one AoE spell which is Skull Trap.

Current Party:
    Michael St. Claire - Holy Justice of Tyr: 7
    Alexander Knight - Berserker < Druid: 3 < 7
    Kai Yuki - Kensai: 6
    Kelli Bigtoes - Shadowdancer: 7
    Nadia Darkshadow - Wild Mage: 7
    Alexa Moonsong - Bard: 7

New Equipment: None.

Notes: I'm heavily debating on dual-classing Kai at 9 or 13. Any thoughts or opinions on that? Oh, I've also started a BGEE run with a Skald. I kind of like that kit in BGEE.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Catching back 13 levels in IWD on Core difficulty with a full party will be too much. I would go with the 9th level : )

Anyway, keep the story coming!
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    I think the Skald is outstanding in BGEE altho perhaps a bit OP at the start - the perks from their song really changes the battle dynamics in the early game when the party's normal Thac0 pretty much sucks making killing anything other than a gibberling or Xvart a long term project while the song allows them to make short work of even more difficult foes.

Later on it levels out a bit - the only downside I find is the song is so good it doesn't make much sense to do much of anything else which can be a little boring unless you make up for it micromanaging the rest of the team. It's also an excellent way to beef up a party of weaklings making them much more viable for a no or minimal reload run.
    @bengoshi - Thanks! I'll dual Kai to mage at level 9! :smile:

@Wanderon - Long time since you've been in this thread! Great points on the Skald in BGEE. I considered making Alexa a Skald once, but I decided that her being a plain bard would be more worth it than being a Skald.

The party cleared Dragon's Eye level 3. The Party had to run back up to the second level whenever someone got seriously injured. Usually Kai, or Kelli. The party epically dodged Presio's stinking cloud, and Nadia almost got murdered by Presio's magic missile, but Alexander healed her just in time! Oh, and Alexa used Dispel Magic on Presio, removing any of her protective spells.

Current Party:
    Michael St. Claire - Holy Justice of Tyr: 7
    Alexander Knight - Berserker < Druid: 3 < 8
    Kai Yuki - Kensai: 7
    Kelli Bigtoes - Shadowdancer: 8
    Nadia Darkshadow - Wild Mage: 7
    Alexa Moonsong - Bard: 8

New Equipment: Hammer Flail +2 on Michael. Presio's Dagger +2 on Kelli. Necromancer's Robe on Nadia.

Note: Dispel Magic saved my bum in that fight with Presio. Oh, and those giant hordes of zombies...I wish Michael were high enough level to make them explode, but nope. In fact, when someone was about to die I was mentally going "Nopenopenopenope!" Oh, and its getting closer to doing HoW and ToLM. I think I'm going to do it after Severed Hand.
    Dragon's Eye is completed, and Kuldahar is saved from its Orog Problem!

Levels 4 and 5 were somewhat difficult with the sheer mass of the mobs. However, Nadia's Fireball made quick work of most of those mobs.

Current Party:
    Michael St. Claire - Holy Justice of Tyr: 8
    Alexander Knight - Berserker < Druid: 3 < 10
    Kai Yuki - Kensai: 8
    Kelli Bigtoes - Shadowdancer: 10
    Nadia Darkshadow - Wild Mage: 9
    Alexa Moonsong - Bard: 10

New Equipment: Dead Man's Face, and Shimmering Sash on Michael. Darkened Glory +2 on Kai. Staff of Nature's Wrath +1 on Alexander. Studded Leather Armor +2 and Rogue's Cowl. The Summoner's Staff +3 on Nadia.

Notes: I have two Mage Dagger +2 in my backpack for when Kai gets to level 9 in Kensai levels. I'm not sure if the effects stack or not, but we'll see soon.
    edited December 2014
    Cleared the lower levels of Severed Hand, and two towers. I also may have turned the difficulty up to get Kai semi-caught up on levels since he's dual-classed to a mage.

Current Party:
    Michael St. Claire - Holy Justice of Tyr: 9
    Alexander Knight - Berserker < Druid: 3 < 11
    Kai Yuki - Kensai < Mage: 9 < 6
    Kelli Bigtoes - Shadowdancer: 11
    Nadia Darkshadow - Wild Mage: 10
    Alexa Moonsong - Bard: 11

New Equipment: Sanctified Morning Star +3, Great Shield +3, and Ring of Sanctuary on Michael. Symbol of Shevarash, and Two Mage Dagger +2 on Kai. Symbol of Sehanine Moonbow on Kelli. Edley's Sling +3 and Elven Chain Mail of the Hand +3 on Alexa.

Note: Michael has a raise dead spell memorized, now I don't have to go to town to resurrect people. . . . Except for Nadia since she's an elf.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @SapphireIce101, I would be interested in reading a few more details about how your party handled Yxonomei. I used the "cheese" solution of opening the door and sending in a bunch of summons to aggro the room and pull out the cloudkill and yuan-ti mages with my party safely positioned outside.
    edited December 2014
    As requested by @BelgarathMTH...

Sapphire's Strategy of Defeating Yxonomei with the current party:
    1. Pre-buff the party with Bless, Remove Fear, and, if you feel confident enough to do it, A chant spell, or equivalent. As well as putting Barkskin on the Kensai. Armor on the WIld Mage.
    2. Summon monsters, skeletons, insects, or animals. It depends on which party member has a summoning spell memorized.
    3. Use the thief to remove traps while the monsters, skeletons, insects, or animals distract Yxonomei.
    4. Bard Song. I had Tale of Curran Strongheart on which is redundant with step 1.
    5. Fireball, and/or Spike Growth.
    6. Heal as needed with Cleric/Druid.
    7. If Yxonomei isn't dead, then watch whoever is alive whoop on her.
    8. ????
    9. Profit!

You could also inverse steps 1 and 2 if you really wanted to buff your canon-fodder.

Oh, and use Kai. That ability is nifty.

Also, no updates today.
    Well, I really don't feel like playing that group of characters anymore...Oh well, maybe I'll attempt it again later.