Skip to content

The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on
Permidion_StarkVilleGrandeCnoodles_tooAristilliusQuartzShikaoAnduinbooinyoureyesFredjoAdulTaylorTwerkmeagloth

Comments

• zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    my mazy was 500 punds carrying tank monster with this bastard sword from WK
    [Deleted User]booinyoureyes
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I didn't understand your statement, are you saying that Halflings and Gnomes with the same strengh value of an character of another race receive extra pound capacity?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Quayle with a few spells could become a beast on carrying things. Cast strength on him then DOHM. He's now able to carry 600 pounds.
    Eudaemonium
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Morte50Morte50 Member Posts: 161

I am saying they are the smallest races, yet can carry just as much as the larger races. They're strong relative to their size. :)

Except that we don't know that, since we have no information on what distribution strength follows in the populations of different races. Clearly, if two individuals from different races have the same strength, they can carry the same amount of weight. That's effectively what the strength stat is meant to quantify. But it might well be that having strength 12 is quite exceptional for a gnome, but utterly feeble for an ogre.
    sarevok57
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited August 2013
    I tend to compare them to ants.
    Incredibly strong considering how their weight, still so easy to stomp...
    EDIT: haha @shylaman ninja'd me!
    [Deleted User]
    Why not? Even fantasy-fiction still has to make sense, obey some reasonably delimited set of rules (for it to be any good, anyway).
    elminsterArdulTingelAristillius
    until someone cast bull's strengh in someone, then logic and rules are screwed! XD!
    DragonspearFredjo
    Hardly. Within the context of the fantasy-world, what Bull's Strength would do (or should do) is fairly predictable. That's the thing about fantasy (and sci-fi, as well): the author has the freedom to make up the wildest things, but for it to be interesting he does have to be fairly consistent about it. Obviously, obsessive-compulsives aside, no author is going to work out all the physics and meta-physics etc. of his fictional world in mathematical detail. But there has to be some sense of structure to it nonetheless. It's just bad/lazy writing, otherwise.
    sarevok57ArdulTingelAristillius
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    hahahahhaha @Ville that was awesome :)
    Villeartificial_sunlightAristillius
  • MiridorMiridor Member Posts: 90

Halflings weigh 30 to 35 pounds.
    Gnomes weigh 40 to 45 pounds.

That an adult halfling should weigh about the same as a three year old human child seems quite unlikely. I would say that a halfling probably weighs 30 to 35 KILOS instead.

elminsterTJ_HookerAristilliusCrevsDaak
    We must be grateful then @Ville, for BG be an american game, imagine if it was an Irland game (without meaning any disrespect here) and instead of gnomes we would have Leprechaun race, the objective of the game would become to kill the most number of gnomes possible and steal their golden pots!!
    Miridor said:

Halflings weigh 30 to 35 pounds.
    Gnomes weigh 40 to 45 pounds.

That an adult halfling should weigh about the same as a three year old human child seems quite unlikely. I would say that a halfling probably weighs 30 to 35 KILOS instead.

Forgotten Realms wiki says halflings are between 75 - 85 pounds (34-38.5 kg). I find that more believable than 30 to 35 pounds. Likewise it says gnomes can range from 50 - 75 pounds (22.6 - 34kg).

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Gnome

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Halfling
    [Deleted User]TJ_HookerDragonspearAristillius
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    Those weight numbers a joke. Max strength for halflings should then be 8. Gnomes 10.
  • HerrderGezeitenHerrderGezeiten Member Posts: 139
    elminster said:

Forgotten Realms wiki says halflings are between 75 - 85 pounds (34-38.5 kg). I find that more believable than 30 to 35 pounds. Likewise it says gnomes can range from 50 - 75 pounds (22.6 - 34kg).

Damn i feel so heavy,..
    AristilliusKidCarnivalelminsterbooinyoureyes
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    fun fact, many insects can lift up to ten times their own weight. Doesn't make them stronger than the thumb that squishes them, though.
    elminsterbooinyoureyes
  • HerrderGezeitenHerrderGezeiten Member Posts: 139
    You are so cruel,...

Cleric casts:
    Flame Strike on you with his "staff" loup.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited December 2013
    This thread made me think of the classic snl skit with Garrett Morris as antman

Edit: dang they pulled the video, SNL skits are hard to share it seems, but its a funny skit :)
    edited December 2013

fun fact, many insects can lift up to ten times their own weight. Doesn't make them stronger than the thumb that squishes them, though.

Yet...

:D

*Cue ominous approaching swarm of large insects*
    jackjackbooinyoureyesQuartz
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    My Human Blackguard can carry around 1600... Or 800 without the Crom Fayer... (18 + Str tome + Lums machine)...

For NPCs though... Well Minsc can carry 320, how much does D&D say Humans weight?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    elminsterQuartzbooinyoureyesFredjo
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    elminster said:

Yet...

Insect Plague makes wimps of us all.
    Quartzelminster
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514

“Studies have shown that an ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man
    BelgarathMTH[Deleted User]Pantalion
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    elminster said:

Yet...

Someone pissed off Cernd :D
    elminster[Deleted User]
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Little known fact:

The strongest race in game is actually our favorite lovable giant space hamster boo. Not only does he carry around Minsc........and Minsc's 320 carry weight.......if you give MINSC the strength belt, boo still has to carry it all.

#BaldursGateTruths
    jackjackbooinyoureyes[Deleted User]Fredjo