Skip to content

What is your idea of a vacation?

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
I'm actually leaving on a vacation shortly. Given that its the summer in the northern hemisphere at least I just thought it would be interesting for people to share their favourite places to vacation. Personally for me its going fishing (which is what I'm off to do!).

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited July 2013
    Being married and having a child (2½ year) there is something called Family vacation, and father vacation.

Family vacation is going out and enjoying the weather, eating an icecream and taking to a fun park or something like that. Last time we went to Italy and had a great time.

Father vacation is having a good drink and sit an evening infront of the computer, relaxing and playing a couple of hours a game that i enjoy, single player. No stress.

[Edited] :
    elminster said:

I'm actually leaving on a vacation shortly. Given that its the summer in the northern hemisphere at least I just thought it would be interesting for people to share their favourite places to vacation. Personally for me its going fishing (which is what I'm off to do!).

Do you ever catch anything? I got two friends who love fishing but they never get anything. I'll never understand the logic behind their happiness, it's probably the social part and the alcohol ;)
    Post edited by SionIV on
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    i like to golf. i'm no expert but it's a nice way to relieve stress and be outdoors with minimum physical effort. i seemed to have lost my swing though =( that seems to happen to me a lot lately -.-
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I cannot enjoy a vacation any more. I get withdrawal symptoms if I am away from my computer for more than a day
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    I hate to say it, but have you ever seen National Lampoon's Vacation?...like that.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    Vacation is always going away, usually overseas. Been going on overseas holidays every year for the last ten+ years.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    What is my idea of vacation? Peace, quiet, without all those annoying people and having a lot time to do things I truly enjoy. I don't need a fancy places to visit or anything like that.

Not that I don't want to visit some places on earth, but I always prefer realistic. Most likely I won't ever wisit them.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    edited July 2013
    There is no vacation for me. I cannot escape.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    What @ZelgadisGW said exactly. When I'm on vacation, I don't want any kind of stress or any petty quarrels. Unfortunately my family's good at creating both. :/
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Going away somewhere to walk in the countryside or look at ancient ruins, or both!
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Camping with a friend in Norway is my favourite vacation destination. But the last few years I couldn't deal with the stress of being abroad, I found vacation to be taxing mentally (I'm suffering from depression and stress problems), so the last few years my holidays have been here in Holland with my parents. I'm hoping to recover somewhat so maybe I'll be mentally able to go abroad sometime again.
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    Hitchhiking around, without a precise destination or path but preferably on small country roads.
    Sleeping on a meadow under the stars (or some trees) or being invited into complete strangers' houses for dinner and/or spending the night. Restores a bit of your faith in humanity, actually.

As for the places I enjoyed doing that the most, I'd say Montenegro (all of the Balkans, really, but Montenegro is the most beautiful of the ex-Jugoslavia countries IMO), Turkey and Georgia.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @alnair: You might want to visit Slovenia sometime. I've been there, and I really have come to love that country. Everything's still so pure, so unspoiled by humans. The population's only 2 million people, afterall, for a country that could support five times as many people. Nature's really nice there if you look for it. I suggest going to Lake Bled, Lake Bohinj and the Postojna Caves. Oh, and let's not forget the capital, Ljubljana, as well. :)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    SionIV said:

Being married and having a child (2½ year) there is something called Family vacation, and father vacation.

Family vacation is going out and enjoying the weather, eating an icecream and taking to a fun park or something like that. Last time we went to Italy and had a great time.

Father vacation is having a good drink and sit an evening infront of the computer, relaxing and playing a couple of hours a game that i enjoy, single player. No stress.

[Edited] :

elminster said:

Do you ever catch anything? I got two friends who love fishing but they never get anything. I'll never understand the logic behind their happiness, it's probably the social part and the alcohol ;)
    I caught a smallmouth bass and the person I went with caught a smallmouth bass and a pike. Not a good year but at least we weren't skunked.
    edited July 2013

@alnair: You might want to visit Slovenia sometime.

Oh, I definitely want to do that sometime... I once passed through it on my way to Budapest, but it was a all-night-long ride so I didn't see anything. Thanks for the advice :)
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Nothing beats a damp caravan and warm beer.

This may be a sentimentality not shared by those from the continent...
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited July 2013
    My idea of vacation was

Camping with a friend in Norway is my favourite vacation destination. But the last few years I couldn't deal with the stress of being abroad, I found vacation to be taxing mentally (I'm suffering from depression and stress problems), so the last few years my holidays have been here in Holland with my parents. I'm hoping to recover somewhat so maybe I'll be mentally able to go abroad sometime again.

My idea of vacation this year was being at home, getting rested by not working for 7 weeks and doing lots of reading, gaming and making trips with friends. Lots of reading I did accomplish, but partly due to the heat, I don't feel rested and it was too hot & I was too tired to game lots of the time. Also 7 weeks is not much for making trips, if you have to recover for 3 days from every day-trip (due to my mental illness): a 7-day week means only being able to do 2 day-trips and even less when I have to cancel ideas because of the heat. Most of the time here in Holland, it was too bloody hot to do anything. Lots of rain showers this week, luckily, cooling things off. And next week 8-10 days on a camping site in Limburg with my parents. I hope it goes well and I won't be lying on my parent's bed in their caravan feeling wrecked and depressed. With luck, I'll enjoy being out there & doing things like walking and visiting musea.

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Going abroad with girlfriend.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Solo backpacking in the wilderness is my favourite kind of vacation. I'm especially fond of its freedom to travel wherever you want, whenever you want. The Highlands of Iceland will probably be my next vacation destination.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Staycation.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Travel, eat yummy things and sleep.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    SionIV said:

In the right location 'fishing' can be great. Sitting by a peaceful river, enjoying the sunshine and reading a book.

Actually catching a wet, smelly fish would rather ruin the experience!

karnor00 said:

In the right location 'fishing' can be great. Sitting by a peaceful river, enjoying the sunshine and reading a book.

Actually catching a wet, smelly fish would rather ruin the experience!

I'm sure the fish prefer this kind of fishing as well :)
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    My idea of a vacation is going to a different place to look for animals I can't see where I live.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    my idea of vacation is actually getting 8 hours of sleep, just recently i worked 397 days in a row, averaging 12 hour days ( and the only reason why i stopped is because i had to take one day off for lazer eye surgery) then i worked for another 60-70 days in a row, but now adays i have calmed it down a bit and i only work like 50 or so hour weeks, which seems sooooooooooooo nice, so yeah, all i need is a nice big ice cream float, and an air conditioned bed room, and a good 8 hours sleep, and im good to go :)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Tresset said:

My idea of a vacation is going to a different place to look for animals I can't see where I live.

I've seen bald eagles, herons, a few black bears, a muskrat, moose, beavers, etc around where I go fishing.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    sarevok57 said:

( and the only reason why i stopped is because i had to take one day off for lazer eye surgery)

Just to make sure your eyes keep their yellow glow ;)
    elminster said:

Tresset said:

I've seen bald eagles, herons, a few black bears, a muskrat, moose, beavers, etc around where I go fishing.
    Neat stuff. I now know that you live in either northern USA or Canada (or visit there to fish). In fact that sounds just like the kinds of things that can be found where I live (Except I live in the city. Not many moose or bears in the city).
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    sarevok57 said:

( and the only reason why i stopped is because i had to take one day off for lazer eye surgery)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVwHydEgzAA
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    yep, had to use eye drops for like 3 weeks or so, and first week, once every hour, oi
  • renerakrenerak Member Posts: 17
    Playing Witcher 3 in the future with maxed out graphics without disturbance. GREATEST VACATION EVER.
  • KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201
    Now that I have a 2 year old son and another baby on the way... the ultimate vacation would be among nature with lots of stuff to explore, rest and play for the kids. And a pool. One cannot do without a pool.

But if it were completely up to me I'd go for a far, long overseas trip.

My fondest memories are a 2 month trip in Indonesia when i was 21 and a 1.5 month trip through the US when i was 24. Good times.

@Son_of_Imoen Try to visit Maastricht if you get the chance. As a fellow dutchman being unimpressed by the bulk of our cities, I found it a fresh breath on a cultural, historical and culinary level. :)