Skip to content

The future of Atari

FredSRichardsonFredSRichardson Member Posts: 465
edited August 2013 in Off-Topic
Well, I figure we have some people here on the forum that have invested a lot of time in trying to understand what's going on with Atari. Even though this has mostly been about the future of BG:EE and BG2:EE (and maybe even BG3!), I thought some of that research work might have revealed something about Atari US and Atari/Infograme's future.

So for those who have looked into what's been going on with the companies, what do you think the future holds?

All I know is (and this is probably not quite right) is that both the parent company (the French Atari/Infogrames) and Atari US are in bad financial shape. They've both filed for bankruptcy and have large debts to pay off. Atari/Infogrames is actually trying to sue Atri US for 100's of millions of dollars.

So, where do you guys think this is headed? Let the prognosticating begin ;)

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Moving this thread to Off-Topic. Carry on!
  • FredSRichardsonFredSRichardson Member Posts: 465
    @Shandyr - okay, that's a good point. If all the companies go down, then there will be a sell off of all the IP, unless someone strikes a deal of some kind?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    I imagine, like any good phoenix, Atari US will continue to lose its feathers and the glint of life will drain from its beady eyes, until eventually it bursts into flame and smolders into a pile of ash. And from the ash will it will regrow, like any good unholy beast.
    [Deleted User]SapphireIce101elminsterTroodon80
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    ATARI is a complex of companies, the bankruptcy itself wasn't a money break problem, but a way to expel from the group one of those companies that wasn't making enough money. If i have to guess, it was a juridical play to justify some business cuts in the company.
    edited August 2013
    @kamuizin - Actually the parent company Atari SA filed for bankruptcy (French equivalent) and they are doing really poorly (income dropped by 1/2). Almost all their income comes from their US subsidiaries and they all filed Ch 11. So I think the whole corporation is floundering...

Atari tried to find a buyer but no one would take them. Probably because of the huge debt. I don't know how this goes, but perhaps buying the whole corporation looks a lot more attractive once the debt is dealt through whatever bankruptcy proceedings.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    The *what* of Atari?
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Well, in any case my hopes of ever seeing BG:EE 2 or even BG 3 are starting to seriously dwindle. :/
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    'Atari' will rise again, no doubt about that.
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud - I think there's a pretty good chance you'll see BG2:EE
    edited August 2013
    Some interesting articles on atariuser.com (I missed these when they came out).

It looks like Atari pulled several items from the auction (including the Atari brand name) and has been attempting to get a delay so they can try an "insider reorg". The creditors have banded together and aren't impressed. Tomorrow the judge decides on whether or not Atari can have more time, or if they have to start hawking their limbs.

http://atariuser.com/portal/news/

EDIT: Actually, the creditors want to take over the reorg process so they can negotiate directly with possible buyers.
    Post edited by FredSRichardson on
    Fredjo
    Just a bit more news (or non-news), because I can't help it:

http://www.law360.com/articles/467022/atari-extends-control-over-ch-11-case-for-30-days

So the non-news is that Atari is plodding along just as you'd imagine trying to satisfy it's unhappy (and understandably impatient) creditors with a reorg plan.
    Fredjo