Skip to content

Can Baldur's Gate still surprise you? *BG 1/2 SPOILERS*

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    Using "Heal" to cure apparent insanity makes a return in Watcher's Keep, where you can use it to bring Yakman back to his senses.
  • theleethelee Member Posts: 76
    I've played BG/BG2 a *lot* (and I've even written three semi-popular game guides for them), and I still keep discovering new tactics/strategies. Not quite plot points like yours, but still interesting nonetheless. Here are a couple recent ones:

1. Invisibility (at least in BG/BGEE) functions exactly like Sanctuary, i.e. certain spells and actions don't cancel it. This discovery was mind-blowing to me, since you can actually target invisibility (whereas sanctuary only affects the caster). Now I can invisibility a thief and send them off to de-trap an entire dungeon without getting detected, now I can use my mages to hide allies who are stunned (or who need a breather to drink a few potions), or even send off my Mage as a scout and prep with a spell like Protection from Fire should an upcoming fight need it, all without breaking invisibility.

2. Mustard Jellies do crushing damage. Now I found a use for that potion of absorption (10 AC bonus against crushing attacks) at the end of Nashkel Mines; so long as I have one warrior-type with a magic weapon I can deal with that Mage of Jellies and his two mustard jellies in the area after you leave the Nashkel mines.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    thelee said:

2. Mustard Jellies do crushing damage. Now I found a use for that potion of absorption (10 AC bonus against crushing attacks) at the end of Nashkel Mines; so long as I have one warrior-type with a magic weapon I can deal with that Mage of Jellies and his two mustard jellies in the area after you leave the Nashkel mines.

Those are green slimes iirc (the ones that make you explode 10 seconds after getting hit), but it's indeed crushing damage.

I rarely discover new things these days, but every now and then. The latest was probably a few playthroughs ago when I found that Aldeth Sashenstar will sell you out to the Flaming Fist when you're wanted by them in chapter 7, even after everything you did for him. The bastard.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    BG1 surprised me with some Alora-Edwin dialogues a while back.

BGEE taught me to appreciate Horror as a tactical spell
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    thelee said:

1. Invisibility (at least in BG/BGEE) functions exactly like Sanctuary, i.e. certain spells and actions don't cancel it. This discovery was mind-blowing to me, since you can actually target invisibility (whereas sanctuary only affects the caster). Now I can invisibility a thief and send them off to de-trap an entire dungeon without getting detected, now I can use my mages to hide allies who are stunned (or who need a breather to drink a few potions), or even send off my Mage as a scout and prep with a spell like Protection from Fire should an upcoming fight need it, all without breaking invisibility.

Just make sure you disable party AI, because otherwise your invisible thief will think it's funny to start shooting arrows at everyone he sneaks by.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    thelee said:

Good to hear...!

Um...Never take raisins from rabbits, never spit in a man's face unless his mustache is on fire, and don't take any wooden knickers unless you've a good supply of salve.

But yes. Otherwise, I read somewhere on this forum, that Melf's minute meteors use the dart weapon proficiency for attack rolls.
  • NymMoondownNymMoondown Member Posts: 219
    I use to kill the demilich using a spell protection scroll and the Carsomyr...I know about the pantaloons but point three is new for me too...and I tried about everything at the time ;)
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460

But yes. Otherwise, I read somewhere on this forum, that Melf's minute meteors use the dart weapon proficiency for attack rolls.

Errm, I don't really think so, my c/m used them with no penalty. (c/m can not get dart proficiency)

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Stuff that surprised me recently:

Very rarely if you charm a bear you get this:

Apparently you can cure Viekang of his inability to teleport in ToB by casting a fear spell like Horror on him.
  • theleethelee Member Posts: 76
    Shin said:

thelee said:

Those are green slimes iirc (the ones that make you explode 10 seconds after getting hit), but it's indeed crushing damage.
    Depends on how you answer the Mage. If you just go about relatively normally you get green slimes, but if you ask for the spell he creates two mustard jellies and joins in on attacking you.