Skip to content

Baldurs Gate 3 Area, Settings, Predictions/Theories

xetatanxetatan Member Posts: 41
Hai Everyone!!
Now that BG2:EE is back on a roll. Why dont we do some fun theorizing for Baldurs Gate 3!

1. Where you think and where would you want the next playable area in the huge world of Faerun?
Here's a link to the map of the huge world of Faerun :)http://www.maplib.net/fullmap.php?id=13010&legend=1

When I combine the playable areas of Baldurs Gate, Amn, and Icewind Dale, and compare it the rest of the world, you can see that we've only seen such a little amount of the world of Faerun.
But dont get me wrong, we've seen some beautiful sights and visited some fabulous areas in those 3 games,
this just means there is a lot of potential to see even more. :)

2. Sequels/Spinoffs in a different timeline and setting seems to be popular as long as they hold true to the original elements of the previous games. (ie: Devil May Cry)
At what timeline do you think Baldurs Gate 3 will be in and in what kind of setting?
Do you think the timeline will be set after/before/between Baldurs gate 1/2?

3. What do you think the story of Baldurs Gate 3 will be like?
What theories come to mind after ToB?
What kind of story would YOU like BG3 to have?

4. Any returning characters you would want to see or new characters to meet? :O

To answer these my self.

1. I would love to be able to play in the regions of Cormyr and Sembia.
There are cities scattered across the Dragon Coast which could potentially serve as a hub area like Baldurs Gate or Athkatla.
There are also the Thunder Peaks, The Dale Lands, and The Pirate Isles to explore in those regions.

2. Would love to see this sequel happen after the events ToB
The timeline would be easily determined and potential for a new protagonist and his/her story could be developed.

3. Maybe a war between races, between neighbouring countries, maybe a civil war, maybe even a war between the gods.

4. Definitely Boo and possibly Dinin Do'Urden, Drizzt bro.

As you can see, with the amount of already created land/lore in the forgotten realms comes endless possibilities for content able to be digitalized, re/imagined, and materialized for us players :).

Let me know what you think!

Lets kill some time by theorizing and predicting until BG2:EE comes our way and maybe even BG3 :D.
Post edited by xetatan on
Calmar

Comments

• AprilApril Member Posts: 39
    I'd rather they create a game in a setting without all the legal mumbojumbo of Forgotten Realms/other WotC settings. Ask yourself, do you prefer a game where the creator is free to do what he wants to do or one where he is bound by the wishes of copyright holders?
  • xetatanxetatan Member Posts: 41
    lets just have some fun with our imaginations ok :)

I would really love to read theories and predictions from all you D&D loving people.
    Gawdzilla
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    I think the bhaalspawn's story is done; there's not really any place to go with it that would keep the same sort of gameplay and feel of the original games. A BG3 would have to be the start of a new story, set around Baldur's Gate and the Sword Coast, but otherwise having little to do with the previous saga. Bit like the Dark Alliance games on consoles, only good, I would hope (to be honest, I've never played them; the consensus seems to be that they're bad, although I know a few people who did like them).

The main NPC's all had epilogues, and I don't it would be wise to start messing with those after ten years. There's a few that are left a bit open, but I think any appearances from them should be limited to just cameos, so you pretty much need a whole new cast as well.
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    April said:

I'd rather they create a game in a setting without all the legal mumbojumbo of Forgotten Realms/other WotC settings.

Go team Pathfinder.
    Kamigoroshi
  • JetLeechanJetLeechan Member Posts: 4
    BG EE is all good and fine and I enjoyed playing it, Im even looking forward to BG 2 EE but what I really, really want is BG 3 with a complete fresh storyline and at least some new places to explore IN the Forgotten Realms.

1. I'd like the game enfold in Baldur's Gate and its surroundings. Some locations from BG2 and IWD would be great, too. But generally I'd like to travel the Silver Marches, the Dalelands and most importantly Halrua with its flying ships! [pre Spellplaque!]

2. As others already mentioned, the Bhaalsphawn story is over. I don't really care about the time, but I'd prefer a plot after ToB simply because it would be possible to have references to the original story in the new game. As I m not a fan of the 4th edition I'd also prefer Faerun before the Spellplague hits.

3. I don't know what it will be like, for the most part, I hope it will be more about cities, mountains and woods than dungeons or some freaky planes.

4. Sarevok.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    for my perspective:

1: I don't really care what location. So long as there are areas to explore, dungeons to delve and some nefarious plot to foil, I'll be happy. But I do wish for a more open exploration like we see in BG rather than the instance exploration of BG2. Not that i think BG2 wasn't as good, I just like the more free form searching and finding to knowing what local you need to reach because it is a static place on the map.

2. I'd like to see it take place after TOB. I can personally see an entirely new protagonist starting out fresh, possibly with a desire to look into what ultimately happened to the original protagonist from BG1. Maybe they are related, maybe not. And that doesn't even need to be a main theme, but some nod to the original would be nice.

3. I'd like there to be an overarching story line, much like the Bhaalspawn story, but have it more focused on adventurers adventuring at least in the beginning. Dungeons to crawl, caves to spelunk, monsters to defeat and treasure troves to plunder. All good stuff. And if there is another baddie like Irenicus, all the better.

4. Recurrence of previous famous characters would be nice, but not necessary. I guess if I had to pick someone, I'd love to see Viconia come back. Certainly as an elf, she could survive regardless of how much time passes. But again, this isn't a requirement. All new NPCs is just as good as well so long as they are well written (please no Dekin...).
    Delvarian
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Eejit
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    Personally, I think what would really be cool is a game with a lot of shorter plots where you spend maybe 1 chapter worth playing as a notable character like Drizzt, Elmister, Hrothgar, Irenicus, Centeol, Gorion (maybe explaining how he became a harper up to adopting Charname) etc. etc.

Don't make a new plot, just enrich what you already have is my thought.
    The_New_Romance
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    I don't get the folks who are saying bhaalspawn saga is done, let CHARNAME rest. I don't disagree with the sentiment, but if we have a totally new storyline and protagonist, isn't that not really a Baldurs Gate 3? At least in my opinion, it wouldn't be.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    April said:

I'd rather they create a game in a setting without all the legal mumbojumbo of Forgotten Realms/other WotC settings. Ask yourself, do you prefer a game where the creator is free to do what he wants to do or one where he is bound by the wishes of copyright holders?

Creating within the bounds of a world you didn't create can be a rewarding challenge. And, as a gamer, a writer, and a DM, there are some worlds I can return to again and again.
    xetatanThe_New_Romance
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    I agree with those who say the Bhalspawn saga is over and thus also the Baldur's Gate series. To me, I'd like it most if they started a new series like the Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights series; new region, new storyline, same world. Those are stand-alone but there are many allusions and references to the other stories hidden there. :)
    The_New_Romance
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

Personally, I think what would really be cool is a game with a lot of shorter plots where you spend maybe 1 chapter worth playing as a notable character like Drizzt, Elmister, Hrothgar, Irenicus, Centeol, Gorion (maybe explaining how he became a harper up to adopting Charname) etc. etc.

Don't make a new plot, just enrich what you already have is my thought.

You are of course entitled to your own opinion on this, but I for one would not play such a game. That isn't what I play role playing games for, to play someone else's character. Thanks but no.
    alnair
  • ogrebogreb Member Posts: 98
    It will be set around the tale of the Lich King Uddark Bey . A powerful but mad undead sorceror, who in the Time of Troubles, found enough fragments of anti-magic to create two items.
    The dagger know as Godslayer.
    And the Dire Crown of Destiny.
    Either alone gave even the gods hesitation, together they made them tremble.
    For Godslayer did indeed live up to it's name ,as several lesser gods were to learn, too late.
    The crown is where the real power lay, as this twisted and retched device enabled it's wearer to actually siphon off the prayers of the faithful and distort them for his own use.

Urdakk Bey's intent was to become a god himself. ( Little did he know he was only a pawn in a bigger game. )
    Calling forth his undead and netherworld army he stormed the gates of heaven.

He was only defeated by the combined might of the gods and intervention of Ao himself. Uddark Bey was destroyed, his army routed but the crown and dagger were never found.

You the CHARNAME start the game as some poor schlub on caravan duty, which gets quickly ambushed by orcs.
    As you lay dying in a ditch, a god appears before you ( depending on class and alignment ) and offers you chance for life...at a price.
    There has been a rumbling in the heavens as portents and signs have seen the return of these accursed items....and even Urdakk Bey himself.
    So you are given a mission to recover these items and to find out if the Lich King has really returned. You will travel the world of Faerun, from Islands of the Trackless sea to the deserts of Calimishan. From the darkest jungle to highest mountains you will discover lost cities, forgotten tombs and items of lore.
    You will visit exotic cities and meet strange , new and exciting NPCs. Encounter legendary heros and vile enemies.
    Gods with their own agenda may help or hinder your mission. As may the real power behind the Lich King.

Late game gets even better...but I won't give it away.

alnairDexterTieoken
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298

You are of course entitled to your own opinion on this, but I for one would not play such a game. That isn't what I play role playing games for, to play someone else's character. Thanks but no.

Who is to say you couldn't create a character whom directly interacts with the "main" character? Who is to say you couldn't create parallel universe scenarios?

Ex:

Hrothgar's Campaign -> You create a party which ends up surviving the frost giant ambush but gets blocked off from Kuldahar meaning the route they take is completely different or perhaps they even end up in hell as a result of being trapped in easthaven? Or perhaps, you could play as a bhalspawn who's looking to merely survive the ascension of the others and takes a vastly different path than CHARNAME.
    It is after all, a game. The nice thing about them is that you can throw in those neat "what if" moments and there is nothing forcing you to maintain cohesion with the "canon" storylines.

Keep in mind though, this is coming from someone who will reload a game and purposefully make a choice my character wouldn't do just to see what happens if the "what if" occured.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    I still say a prequel of Bhaal preparing his resurrection would be a good idea...
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    So according to lore, what's going on in Faerun after the Time of Troubles?
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    1 I like the story to be set in BG and north (a bit south is ok)
    2 I want them to use the "gift" of "Murder in BG" and you meet charname (you can pick his/her class and race, and if he was trying to be god). Don't say your Charname cant be in bg because blablabla, mine died on the steps of the FAI. Sarevor tried to become god and Jergal declined him.
    3 .....
    4 Coran is back
  • Darek_DeathDarek_Death Member Posts: 56
    edited September 2013
    My 2 cents.

On the first thing; it wouldn't make sense to have a game called Baldur's Gate to take place nowhere near Baldur's Gate. But I think it would be great to make another series taking place in the far east, and other places on Abeir-Toril. Unless they made a large open world; like WoW, Fallout 3, and other games with large open worlds; that includes Baldur's Gate and extends a great distance in other directions as well (like to the far east, or at least to Phlan so the old schools can relive Pool of Radiance).

On your second note; I don't think anything between BG1 and 2 is very interesting, I think it should continue forward, and stick to the theme, being that you are still the person who left Candlekeep in BG1. Though I would love to see a new stand alone game taking place during the time of troubles, that would be awesome.

For the third; perhaps the final battle between the Player Character and his siblings. Ideally it would have the ability to either hunt them all down and become the next god of death, or force peace between the siblings remaining (some would come after you and you'd be forced to kill them, either right away or at some other point if you could convince them to temporarily join forces against the others). Taking place all over the regions Bhaal impregnated women. And there would be tons of other stuff going on to, mortal affairs. The singleplayer game could be different from the multiplayer, where in multiplayer its more open like a MMORPG so you're all different children of Bhaal and can PvP or join forces, but the world would be the same and the NPC siblings would still exist in there too.
         Hmm... I guess that could cause consistency issues, in that if a player killed an NPC then a different player could never meet them... unless they respawned, but then it would lose one of my favorite things about BG, the consistent plot. Perhaps the multiplay games would be like Diablo 3, where each person can host their own game at different points in the story. That's kind of how BG multiplayer is now, now that I think about it.
         That's fine if everyone is hosting on their own comps TCP/IP or whatever, but it would be pretty heavy for someone to try to host a huge world so many times though. Perhaps if the creators of BG3 wanted to host their own server it could start at the beginning and reset every few months or so. You could continue playing your characters on private games but with the new ladder/season/cycle/whatever you'd need to make a new character so its fair to everyone (the game could stamp the cycle they were made in on the characters to identify if they can enter the company hosted public game). Well, I'd like that, idk about everyone.

On the fourth; My request is likely not anything new. I'd like to see some of the favorites from BG1 and BG2 carried over, like Imoen, Viconia... Minsc, Tiax, Xan, others, depending on my mood and the type of character I'm playing at the time.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    A start in (or near) the city of Baldur's Gate would be great. Perhaps a generation after the conclusion of BG1+BG2. It would be fun to see what the city is like a few decades after the epic events of the Bhaalspawn saga.

From Baldur's Gate, I personally would think that it would be cool if the game moved to the Moonshae Islands, as I like the 'Celtic' feel of the place. But anywhere along the Sword Coast or in the Savage North would be fine.
  • GawdzillaGawdzilla Member Posts: 86
    Personally, I like the idea of keeping "Baldur's Gate" in the title/plot, instead of starting a new IP in the same world. Perhaps CHARNAME starts in the city of Baldur's Gate as a peasant, but most of it is walled off, inaccessible, because of a plague or military disaster. He/she has to leave.

Then, anything goes. Totally new areas, *maybe* reference to BG2's hero who is now a god (churches in the countryside would be fun), and of course Elminster & Volo have to make cameos.

It's important to start the game at "level 1" for a lot of reasons. Face it, even TOB was sort of a bore because your character was an invincible wall of death by then. How does a character like that grow at all? Give me crappy leather armor and a wooden staff, and hundreds of new places in Faerûn to explore, and I'll be happy. :-D
    alnairTieoken
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited September 2013
    Kaltzor said:

I still say a prequel of Bhaal preparing his resurrection would be a good idea...

Baldur's Gate: Rape Simulator 2014? Not so sure a game about Bhaal preparing his resurrection is a good idea :D maybe we could have something else with Bhaal though. Besides, I don't need to know another more about the bhaalspawn woodland critters o.o
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Gawdzilla said:

It's important to start the game at "level 1" for a lot of reasons. Face it, even TOB was sort of a bore because your character was an invincible wall of death by then. How does a character like that grow at all? Give me crappy leather armor and a wooden staff, and hundreds of new places in Faerûn to explore, and I'll be happy. :-D

Word. For me the single most important thing is that you can start the game with low level characters with crappy equipment.

alnair
  • Cimmerian1xCimmerian1x Member Posts: 32
    Fact: Baldur's Gate 3 should somehow be an all "NEW" chapter / storyline in the Baldur's Gate Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting universe with all new characters and all new content featured with Epic gameplay and immersion, nuff said!
  • DahrikDahrik Member Posts: 5
    xetatan said:

1. Where you think and where would you want the next playable area in the huge world of Faerun?

I believe that it would more than likely be in Baldur's Gate, though I would like a game more directly involving Thay.
    xetatan said:

2. Sequels/Spinoffs in a different timeline and setting seems to be popular as long as they hold true to the original elements of the previous games. (ie: Devil May Cry)
    At what timeline do you think Baldurs Gate 3 will be in and in what kind of setting?
    Do you think the timeline will be set after/before/between Baldurs gate 1/2?

I guarantee that the next one would be after The Sundering (D&D Next era), so after BG1/BG2, and with some variation of the upcoming ruleset. POSSIBLE SPOILERS: The latest Forgotten Realms tabletop module, Murder in Baldur's Gate, is directly tied into the Bhaalspawn story and ultimately sees the return of Bhaal. (END SPOILERS)
    xetatan said:

3. What do you think the story of Baldurs Gate 3 will be like?
    What kind of story would YOU like BG3 to have?

My guess is that (POSSIBLE SPOILERS:)it will revolve around another Chosen of Bhaal rising, as the one from Murder in Baldur's Gate is (presumably) slain by the PCs. Details on that depends on what the majority of the Encounters sessions reports back to WotC. It won't directly involve Bhaalspawn anymore, since the last Bhaalspawn are finally killed at the start of the module.(END SPOILERS)

I'll be honest, I'm not sure what I'd want to see in a BG3. The Bhaalspawn saga is effectively over, so while there could be references to it (as the original games would have taken place about 100+ years prior), it would need to be an entirely new story going in a different direction, and with a new CHARNAME.
    xetatan said:

4. Any returning characters you would want to see or new characters to meet? :O

Assuming its set in or near Baldur's Gate, Coran would definitely be present. He's present in the city presumably when the game would likely take place by official lore. A lot of the characters with shorter lifespans (and with no blood of deities) would be dead by this point.

I'd love to see Edwin return as a lich. I'd like to see a return of Aerie, though that might be complicated due to possible romance with original CHARNAME unless they decide to just ignore that possibility.
    Playable Barbarian class is a must have in Baldur's Gate 3!!!
  • XereckXereck Member Posts: 30
    I wonder if a storyline was already written for the Baldur's Gate III, which was announced but never got to see the light of day, and if Overhaul would pick up on that story or make something new. After all that game already came with a title:

http://www.rpgnuke.ru/content/images/!NEWS_NEW/other/BG3.jpg
    anything is possible!

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited September 2013
    I dunno...I stopped caring a long time ago. There's too many unknowns.

Cormanthor's a nice area through. Could easily build a new saga just around that one zone, especially since it's got plenty of areas for both very low and very high levels to choose from and could build a nice epic. Starting low and finding your feet and slowing moving on before becoming embroiled in one of the most important events in FR history.

Time line around 1370 (Happening almost concurrent with ToB) and with the core plot ultimately revealing a Zhentarim connection. Leading into the next couple expansions, each raising the cap a little more and opening up the map a little more, that cap out around 25ish and culminating in a show down with the god Iytachu Xvim in late 1372. BG3: God's Bane has a nice ring to it, for a final x-pack name.
  • blazeheroicblazeheroic Member Posts: 37
    I'd personally like to see a prequel with bhaal, bane and myrkul taking their journey into the realm of the dead and taking on their mantles of godhood. Have those 3 chars as main characters and then bring in other npc's to help. Not nearly as open-ended as the bhaalspawn saga, but could still be a good playthrough.