Skip to content

Ask Us Anything! (Volume 3)

Comments

• agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    edited August 2013
    Cool ok, yea I do. Understanding that you're likely going to give broad answers:

How will sign up work, through the BD client?
    How will bug reporting work?
    Will we be able to toggle between beta/non-beta version of the game (short of 2 local installs)?
    How many on-site employees / contract workers is beamdog employing now?

edit: and I just found this: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/343236/#Comment_343236

Come on @mlnevese!
  • FalkonSwiftbladeFalkonSwiftblade Member Posts: 51
    Hi guys, I was wondering if you were to recreate BG today, would you use something like Unity, or are you happy with your engine you have now?

Also, I would like to know the process of creating animations for a game like this. Could anyone link me something to get me started, or maybe one of the designers could create a short demo or tutorial? I know how to animate in flash and after effects, but you guys created this before those tools were really around.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    How will sign-up work?
    You won't have to sign up. If you purchased the game through Beamdog.com (sorry AppStore and Steam-users!), the game will show up in your account, and you'll be able to install it at your leisure using the Beamdog client.

Yes, this means that if you bought the Mac version and don't also own a PC, you won't be able to install the Beta. We're looking at possibilities to allow Mac-users to get it, but for now it's going to be PC-only.

How will bug reporting work?
    More or less the same as it does now. We'll create a separate subforum specifically for the Open Beta where you can post bug reports (and we'll be getting a little bit of help from our existing beta testers to help identify which bugs we already know about). The specific logistics of that are still being worked out, but we do have a tentative plan.

Will we be able to toggle between beta and non-beta versions of the game (short of having two local installs)?
    Sadly, no. (Or maybe not sadly.) There's a lot that's different in the new patch, on a fundamental level, and it's not something that can be toggled with a switch. Additionally, in order to allow the live version to continue to function we need to keep it separate.

This also means that the beta will have its own Documents folder for saved games. If you want to use your existing saves, you'll want to copy them to that new folder first.

How many contract workers and full-time staff does Beamdog currently employ?
    You'd have to talk to H/R about the numbers. But anyone on the forums with a blue background has in some way contributed on a professional level to the development of BG:EE and/or BG2:EE (and our names are all in the credits).

Come on!
    I'll admit, from your earlier comment I assumed you had read the entire thread. I mean, should the man in the twenty-three-hundred dollar pajamas...should the man in the thirty-six-hundred dollar slippers...should the...should...should....

Come on!
    Wikkid_Suhnagris

Hi guys, I was wondering if you were to recreate BG today, would you use something like Unity, or are you happy with your engine you have now?

I'll invoke @CameronTofer for this one, as he works most closely with the engine code, although he's also very busy pretty much all the time. I can say that Infinity Engine is definitely not without its...quirks.
    Also, I would like to know the process of creating animations for a game like this. Could anyone link me something to get me started, or maybe one of the designers could create a short demo or tutorial? I know how to animate in flash and after effects, but you guys created this before those tools were really around.
    For this, I'll conjure @Cuv. He's got a lot more experience with modding than I do, and could probably point you in the right direction.
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
    Would you consider to release at list a little part of the patch normally, in the non-beta version of the game?
    MetallomanAedanStarflower2525
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    I agree with @Sophia. An incredible amount of fixes could be release for the public version of the game, since they have been deeply tested and we know that they works fine. As for the other features that still need to be tweaked, you could use the open beta. I think that this would be a good compromise and it is not difficult to implement.
    MetallomanSophiaStarflower2525
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    edited August 2013
    Well first of all, i must apologize, because i ranted a few times at communication from Beamdog being not good, and only discovered this thread yesterday.
    I'm not sure if i'm just bad at searching forums or if this thread (and most especially the linked FAQ) could maybe get a better name. To be honest I was thinking the FAQ was still the same as the first technical FAQ that existed since a year and never checked it since.

Anyway, i'm glad to see the communication is getting better.

A few questions :

- as the work on BG2EE is obviously pretty much advanced, when ( approximately) will you be able to tease us and promote the game ? I know that all the communication about it must first be approved, but i guess this is actually in the process right ?

- you were by contract having a deadline for the release of BG2EE. Has the legal mess with Atari changed this, or is this date still mandatory ? In that case, how will you be able to cope with the delay that the legal mess caused to your work ?

- you said somewhere that you were working with @DavidW to take a few things of his wonderful mod SCS into BGEE. Is this programmed to be in the next patch, or in BG2EE ?

- i'm not sure to understand what's all the hype with the new UI and the updated engine and why you're taking so much time of your work on this. My current version of BGEE is perfectly fluid on my PC, and i don't see what you could improve, if you don't change the sprites and animations. What exactly will you improve, could you be a bit more specific ? Is it only an update for those who can't get a fine BGEE on their computer ? Maybe we could get a screenshot ?

- last but not least, is the next patch the last one before BG2EE or will you continue updating things in the meanwhile ?

Thanks
    Post edited by Palanthis on
  • ilhdrilhdr Member Posts: 33
    If you could change one thing in baldurs gate, what would it be?
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    Aedan said:

I agree with @Sophia. An incredible amount of fixes could be release for the public version of the game, since they have been deeply tested and we know that they works fine. As for the other features that still need to be tweaked, you could use the open beta. I think that this would be a good compromise and it is not difficult to implement.

On the contrary, it is actually fairly difficult to implement. There are a lot of complex dependencies involved in these sorts of patches, lots of small changes that rely on other small changes. Given the extensive nature of this patch, it would be no small task to split it up.

Is it doable? Sure. Is it feasable? Probably not.
    DeeAnton
  • srvksrvk Member Posts: 65
    Is it possible to implement new character/creature models (for BG2EE) . Although there are sufficient models in its current state, it would be nice to see something new (I'm thinking of mounted creatures)
    Palanthis said:

Well first of all, i must apologize, because i ranted a few times at communication from Beamdog being not good, and only discovered this thread yesterday.
    I'm not sure if i'm just bad at searching forums or if this thread (and most especially the linked FAQ) could maybe get a better name. To be honest I was thinking the FAQ was still the same as the first technical FAQ that existed since a year and never checked it since.

Don't worry about it; I sort of let this thread lie fallow over the summer, so your thinking wasn't entirely wrong. (Trying to do better!)
    - as the work on BG2EE is obviously pretty much advanced, when ( approximately) will you be able to tease us and promote the game ? I know that all the communication about it must first be approved, but i guess this is actually in the process right ?
    As soon as we're able to do so, I imagine. But as you might have already guessed, we're hesitant to say anything about timelines until we're absolutely sure we can meet them.
    - you were by contract having a deadline for the release of BG2EE. Has the legal mess with Atari changed this, or is this date still mandatory ? In that case, how will you be able to cope with the delay that the legal mess caused to your work ?
    We have a little bit of leeway. We're still committed to making sure BG2EE is released as clean and polished as possible, so we're looking to find a balance between "as soon as possible" and "when the game is absolutely perfect".
    - you said somewhere that you were working with @DavidW to take a few things of his wonderful mod SCS into BGEE. Is this programmed to be in the next patch, or in BG2EE ?
    Not in the next patch, no. It's still in the works, though, and we're very excited about the possibilities. (By which I mean, we're excited to see it implemented and have people experience it).
    - i'm not sure to understand what's all the hype with the new UI and the updated engine and why you're taking so much time of your work on this. My current version of BGEE is perfectly fluid on my PC, and i don't see what you could improve, if you don't change the sprites and animations. What exactly will you improve, could you be a bit more specific ? Is it only an update for those who can't get a fine BGEE on their computer ? Maybe we could get a screenshot ?
    We may have overshot the expectations by calling it a "new UI". What you'll see is an enhanced version of the existing UI that's a little bit more efficient in terms of screen-space. Make no mistake, you'll notice it pretty much immediately (and I think you'll like it), but it's not like we've redesigned everything from the ground up. We're working on getting some screenshots, which will help you see what I'm talking about, but most of our development efforts have been put on bug-fixing and engine enhancement, not on revamping the UI.
    - last but not least, is the next patch the last one before BG2EE or will you continue updating things in the meanwhile ?
    I'm happy to say that this will not be BGEE's final patch, no. There are still a number of things we'd like to do, and some fixes that we simply won't be able to fit into this coming patch and will have to wait. Our team is still very small, after all, and there are only so many hours in the day.
    Thanks
    You're welcome! Thank you for the questions!
    AristilliusSon_of_ImoenItomon
    ilhdr said:

If you could change one thing in baldurs gate, what would it be?

There actually isn't a whole lot I would change, on a fundamental level, that we're not already doing (or planning to do later).

Although one thing that I wish we could do is offer a way to switch between different skins for the GUI from within the game itself. @Archaic has done some fabulous work, and it would be nice to see other artists braving the GUI trenches as well.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Here's one I had forgotten about until just a few minutes ago: are you guys still planning to do an Adventure Y?
    Adul said:

Here's one I had forgotten about until just a few minutes ago: are you guys still planning to do an Adventure Y?

Yes, we still plan to do an Adventure Y, although it will still have to wait until after BG2:EE.
    AdulItomon
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    Dee said:

Although one thing that I wish we could do is offer a way to switch between different skins for the GUI from within the game itself. @Archaic has done some fabulous work, and it would be nice to see other artists braving the GUI trenches as well.

Is it something that you may do in the future if you have time or is it impossible due to the engine design ?
    It seems highly unlikely. Right now the only mod skin that's out there for BGEE is Archaic's, so there isn't really a need for it. :)
  • siril_danasiril_dana Member Posts: 33
    Dee said:

Adul said:

Yes, we still plan to do an Adventure Y, although it will still have to wait until after BG2:EE.
    And it's going to be a free update, right?
  • Wikkid_SuhnWikkid_Suhn Member Posts: 136
    edited August 2013
    Dee said:

Come on!
    I'll admit, from your earlier comment I assumed you had read the entire thread. I mean, should the man in the twenty-three-hundred dollar pajamas...should the man in the thirty-six-hundred dollar slippers...should the...should...should....

Come on!

NICE
    CrevsDaak
  • solodsolod Member Posts: 58
    What is the current status of the Android version development? Any ideas of release date? Those of us who've been waiting for a while would love to know.
  • KougaKouga Member Posts: 83
    edited August 2013
    Yay! After 6 months, checking atleast each week if there was an update, over 23 disapointments and alot of waiting we're going to get the update!

Really I'd be happy with just the bug fixes, but what can I expect? Something like the previous patch with new subclasses or/and more?

I heard about a new UI and online multiplayer too! Can someone import any character they like to online multiplayer games? What if someone imports their godmode character with max level and 25 in all stats into the game? Can the players vote if the characters used to play the game are OK before they start to play? (With like, a small list of the character's general stats?)
    solod said:

What is the current status of the Android version development? Any ideas of release date? Those of us who've been waiting for a while would love to know.

This may or may not be a closely guarded government secret. We'll try to get some information out as soon as we can, though.
    Kouga said:

Yay! After 6 months, checking atleast each week if there was an update, over 23 disapointments and alot of waiting we're going to get the update!

Really I'd be happy with just the bug fixes, but what can I expect? Something like the previous patch with new subclasses or/and more?

I heard about a new UI and online multiplayer too! Can someone import any character they like to online multiplayer games? What if someone imports their godmode character with max level and 25 in all stats into the game? Can the players vote if the characters used to play the game are OK before they start to play? (With like, a small list of the character's general stats?)

When you're setting up your game you can specify that characters start with no equipment, or even with no experience. Nothing's stopping you from creating an all-25 character, but hopefully you'll be playing with people who don't godmode that way. :)
  • siril_danasiril_dana Member Posts: 33
    For a second there I thought that since the game is still full of problems the dlc would be free, also you're charging 20 dolars for a product that's very old and still incomplete (multiplayer, poor steam version, journal, bugs, etc.) I guess it's not good to complain since you can't stand unsatisfied BG fans. I'm sorry.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited August 2013
    @siril_dana what DLC?

edit: nevermind, my bad. I thought I was up to date on this thread, but it looks like I missed the short exchange you had with Dee a few posts up.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    TJ_Hooker said:

@siril_dana what DLC?

I think @siril_dana is talking about Adventure Y. Since @Dee is saying that it will possibly be like a paid DLC. Which, I'm fine with, since BGEE is more than worth the $20 I already spent on it.
    alnair
    For the record, I don't know exactly how it will work; we're not anywhere close to being able to talk about it in any specific way, but that would be my prediction: that it's a significant amount of content, as you might expect to see in some form of DLC.
  • SixheadeddogSixheadeddog Member Posts: 197
    Cerevant said:

Do I get 300xp if I give you the same answer 30 times? ;)

... Yes. (? did I answer that right?)
    Fredjo
This discussion has been closed.