Skip to content

any Discworld fans out there?

Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
I was just curious. I got hooked on Pratchett's Discworld series back in '07. it was just a couple years after Thud! had come out. I picked up a copy at a local Barnes and Noble where i lived at the time, read it over the weekend, came back the following week and grabbed a basket and took every copy of every Discworld book I could get my hands on. it must have been almost 30 books. I've been hooked ever since. i don't own any of the science of discworld or discworld companions. i just have the regular series plus the tiffany aching stuff for young adults. at this point i'm completely biased to Sam Vimes and the City Watch because in them I see a lot of comparisons to the work i've done in both military and civilian security ( but i'm not a copper =P). i reread them most often and at times it feels like i'm getting together with old friends to chew the fat. the Discworld is a fantastic world and if you haven't read them i would highly recommended it. the humor is spot on and the stories addicting (particularly Ankh-Morpork's City Watch, if you haven't noticed from my rant =P)

Comments

• ImperatorImperator Member Posts: 154
    Been a fan for some 10 years now. First book that I read was Hogfather, borrowed from my sister. Recently I began to gather my own collection, starting with the Watch series. 4 books so far, have to order a few more next month. I believe I have read all of the regular series books (thank goodness for a good library here), and some of the Companions books.

I would also recommend Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's book Good Omens, which is pretty much my favourite book ever.
    Night_Watch
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Discworld fan here. I've been a fan from the beginning. Novels, games (especially Discworld Noir, though the others were very good, too), and movies. I started reading the Discworld series since the very first book. Of the three forms of media, I have to say the novels and games are my favourite.
    Night_Watch
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Big fan here. I've read every single book, and alwaty get the new ones as soon as they come out. Been a little disappointed for the last 3 or 4 books though, but I guess that is to be expected now.
    Night_Watch
    Pratchett's writing style has changed in the last few books, they've become more dark and moved away from mocking/adoring fantasy tropes. Whether his Alzheimer's is the cause or whether this is just natural progression, I don't know. Perhaps a bit of both.

One thing that I absolutely hate about Pratchett's writing is his overuse of ellipses...

As a question to those who have read the Tiffany Aching books, what are they like? I strongly dislike "young peoples" books, so I've been wary of them.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    i've read Good Omens! it was wonderful. my favorite bit was with the bikers and the horsemen/woman. it was nice how they kept Death speaking IN ALL CAPS =)

his books have evolved from the playfulness of fantasy to a much more serious tone. there's still some good humour in there, it's just not as blatant as before ( "To see Lady Sybil's bosom rise and fall was to understand empires" -Snuff) that had me cracking up. i admit it has been at times difficult for me to read some of his newer work unless it's a Watch related story. i never really got into the Moist story arc, even if they did do a movie. I can't wait for the BBC series of the City Watch to come out d(^_^)b

as for Tiffany Aching, I have the novels but haven't gotten around to reading them yet. my all time favourite quote of Pratchett's is "There isn't a way things should be. There's just what happens, and what we do." and that's from one of the Tiffany Aching novels so I'd like to read them in order to find out the origin of that phrase.

haven't played the games. wish i could -.-

saw the movies. they were ok. books are always better. i view movies as a way to advertise and get more people interested into reading the books.

@Imperator have you read American Gods? if you liked Good Omens i feel like it would be right up your alley.

anyone read Nation? i have it but haven't gotten around to it yet as well. also, i've heard a rumour that his daughter was suppose to be taking over Discworld in the future once Pratchett is unable to do so b/c of his condition (or some such). is there any validity towards this claim?
    Yeah, I've read American Gods, liked it a lot. I'm waiting for the Watch TV-series with slight trepidation. Can't remember whether it was the old or the new attempt that was supposed to make some large changes to PTerry's work.

As for Rhianna Pratchett, PTerry has said that he will leave the intellectual property of Discworld to her, and then it's up to her whether she wishes to write. http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2012/11/terry-pratchett-sex-death-and-nature
    Night_Watch
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    @Imperator that was a wonderful article thank you for sharing =)
    ajwzAnduin
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Soul Music is the best... No maybe Mort... Errmm...Sorcery is pretty good... Errm... anyway...

Read every single one as well apart from the newest... Just not bought the books yet... But massive fan!
    Night_Watch
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    edited August 2013
    I think Jingo was my first Discworld book I bought. I've read a lot of the books, but don't own them all. I've also read Good Omens which I think is an awesome book Pratchett co-wrote with Neil Gaiman. Absolutely wonderful.

I also have played Discworld Noir and actually managed to finish it (not without great struggle lol). Haven't played the previous two sadly (aside from a demo back in the day for the second one). I also own Hogfather and The Colour of Magic as well as the Soul Music and Wyd Systers dvds.

I haven't read his books for a few years, but have been meaning to catch up. I've caught some of Terry's documentaries and other appearances on tv and found them quite interesting. Hopefully we still have quite a few years of Terry writing the books.

I heard that his daughter will be taking over and I'm a bit so-so on the prospect. I've come across her videogame work and I have to admit not being blown away. Especially with Tomb Raider. That was such a flimsy story in my opinion. Lara may have been the strongest aspect of the story, but not by much imo. Still I'm willing to see how she would handle Discworld since it is largely well established and I imagine she would know better than most how to handle her father's fiction.

Also I think another honourable mention should go to 'The amazing Maurice and his educated rodents'. I really enjoyed that one.
    Night_Watch