Skip to content

Which mage robe do you use? ( BG1 )

sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
In the first Baldur's Gate it takes a while before you can get any of the arch magi robes, so I was wondering what people used in the mean time, In vanilla BG I would use Knave's robe, because of its bonus to AC vs slashing weapons and it gives a bonus save to save vs death, but now in the enhanced edition I always use traveller's robe because you can get it so much quicker, ( thanks Neera :) ) and it gives an AC bonus against missile weapons
  1. Which mage robe do you use? ( BG1 )124 votes
    1. Knave's Robe
        9.68%
    2. Traveller's Robe
      12.90%
    3. Adventurer's Robe
        5.65%
    4. Robe of Fire Resistance
        4.84%
    5. Robe of Electrical Resistance
        0.81%
    6. Robe of Cold Resistance
        0.81%
    7. A combination of robes
      16.94%
    8. No robes at all, because the Arch Magi robes are all I need
      48.39%

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    There is no real reason not to switch things around as needed. The elemental resistance ones in particular can be handy to have lying around for when you know (or suspect) you will be facing that element.

In BG2 of course there is no contender to the Robe of Vecna.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I typically play with my Cosmetic Changes override pack (SHAMELESS PLUG), so the Knave's Robe is usually what I use when I want to look sneaky as a mage.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Well, technically Archmagi robes are the best. But I can use some other robes, depending on the situation.
  • blazeheroicblazeheroic Member Posts: 37
    I prefer the archmagi robes myself, problem is they show up late in the game (for me), so until then, I use knaves robe
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    I switch between robes according to the situation, but the Robe of Electrical Resistance and Adventurer's Robe are my favorites. After I get the Robe of the Archmagi, I still keep one each of the elemental robes in case I need that extra 20% resistance.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Arch Magi. I just put up with whatever else there is until I get my hands on one.
  • ogrebogreb Member Posts: 98
    Robe of the Archmage.
    The other robes are pretty much useless, as spells and potions can easily make up for any elemental resistances.
    Other resistances...slashing etc are a joke.

It's called the Robe of Archmage for a reason.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Dee said:

I typically play with my Cosmetic Changes override pack (SHAMELESS PLUG), so the Knave's Robe is usually what I use when I want to look sneaky as a mage.

Interesting link. I see that also means we can have a Dorn with armour that's an appropriate colour. Sweet.
  • BanexBanex Member Posts: 127
    The Magi robes do the job.I normally have Evil runs so there's no need to part with any cash to obtain one.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I like the look :D
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    my dragon disciple used the fire resistance robe for over 100% resistance everyrone else just uses the arch magi robes
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Dee said:

This. The minor non-elemental robes aren't helping much anyway, so I take the one that looks the best.

• GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    ♫ Edwina likes her long red gown
    Xan is clearly *all* way blue
    Xzar just wears it like a clown ♬
    Charname gets whatever's new
    ♩ Quayle puts on a mail of chain
    Dynaheir goes somewhat nude
    I don't vote, I abstain ♪
    Real answers I seclude
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    I favor traveler's for extra missile protection and switch to arch magi. I don't tend to micromanage the robes situationally, although I should.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @God votes in mysterious ways. ~.^
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    The arch-magi robes.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Adventurer's Robe, and then after I slay the right mage/buy the right robes, I use the Robes of Arch-Coolness. :D
  • PaulgPaulg Member Posts: 115
    i use adventurers robe untill i find or buy archmagi robe. adventurers robe gives extra missle protect, and i hate it when badits snipe off my low level mages in one hit.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Whatever is lying around should be my real answer... A red bathrobe is like... My normal attire anyway...
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Red shoulderpads are more stylish.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Adventurer's Robe then Knave's Robe, then Arch Magi and others depending on the situation.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I think the archmage robes are best for general adventuring, where you might accidentally suffer arrow fire, or forced into melee range because your front line didn't hold, but, if you are expecting mage fights or heavy traps, sometimes the robes of fire or lightning resistance are more protective.

I actually kind of favor wearing the fire and lightning robes, switching them about as the situation dictates, because getting fried or electrocuted seem to be more frequent dangers in the game than melee attacks, which you should be avoiding, anyway.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Xan wearing robe of fire resistance gets a 70% fire resistance.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    Fire, then archmage. Well usually I wear whatever I find first, THEN switch to fire soon as I see one, then archmage.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,188
    DJKajuru said:

Give him the ring of fire resistance as well and with 110% resistance he can be healed by fire.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    Whatever robes I pick up until the Archmage robes come along. Even then, Archmage robes are super-high priority, and I rush them first.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    In Tutu, the Knave Robe is the first I can get my hands on. Later on, before I can get the Robe of the Archmagi (usually Good for my PC and Neutral for Xan) I use the Traveller's Robe for missile projection on one mage and Fire Resistance on the other, either buffing Xan hugely or making sure both my mages are reasonably protected against fire (Xan his Moonblade, the other mage the Robe of Fire Resistance and then there's a ring to buff that further). Hardly any experience with BGEE yet.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Until I get the archmage robes I prefer the protection vs ranged attacks given by the traveler's robe. That way I am at least somewhat protected when the party's refusal to march in formation sends my mage headlong into a group of kobolds or hobgoblins.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Pecca said:

DJKajuru said:

Give him the ring of fire resistance as well and with 110% resistance he can be healed by fire.
    Yeah, then you can have him cast fireball without fear of... oh... right... Nevermind.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    He can use a wand of fire just fine, thanks.