Skip to content

What class did you play your very first time?

SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
edited September 2013 in Archive (General Discussion)
When you played BG (observe: BG - not BG2) the first time all thees years ago. What class did you play?

Sadly, in those days, you couldn't choose the monk (who rule supreme) so that option dose not exist ...
  1. What class did you play your very first time?143 votes
    1. Fighter
      25.17%
    2. Thief
        7.69%
    3. Ranger
      12.59%
    4. Mage
      16.08%
    5. Paladin
      17.48%
    6. Bard
        3.50%
    7. Cleric
        3.50%
    8. Druid
        2.10%
    9. Dual-Class
        2.80%
    10. Multi-Class
        9.09%
Post edited by SamuelVarg on

Comments

• SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    I played a mage on my first playthrough.

And I was killed by that g*d damn hungry wolf in the second area ... Still remember my queations about why my hand dissolved into that freaky lucky skull that was on the cover of the game.

5 CDs. Many hours later. I got the answer.

Still a fan.

• LynXLynX Member Posts: 3
    On my first playthrough I chose paladin, knight in a shiny armor with greatsword. But that was many, many, many years ago. For now I stick with evil assassin which is much more fun.

And one more thing - It is good to be evil.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    I think my veeeery first time, I played a Fighter. But my first successful playthrough was a half-elven Fighter/Magic-User!
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 377
    I played BG2 first and the first class I cleared the game with was a dual-wielding fighter.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    If I remember correctly my very first playthrough of BG2 (which I played before BG1) was either a avenger or a shapeshifter druid.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I'd been a D&D (and then AD&D and etc.) player since 1977. My first playthrough was a fighter, because it's the easiest class to learn and play. Lots of hit points, able to wear any armor and wield any weapon in the game, and you are good to go. No spells to memorize (or worry about hurting any other party members with the area effect spells). It was great.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Fighter. Large Swords. The heaviest armour available. No personality. Never completed the game.
  • Tysonm1Tysonm1 Member Posts: 40
    So young at the time I always thought I'd go with whatever class seemed really cool and "thief" just kind of went "ding!" in me head. Of course, I got repeatedly slaughtered with such a terribly rolled up character and whatnot...
  • Xar105Xar105 Member Posts: 112
    warrior all the time
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    Mage was the only class that appealed to me the first time i saw this game
  • karl_maulderkarl_maulder Member Posts: 133
    edited September 2013
    My very first character was a Paladin(converted to a Undead Hunter in SoA, also first char)using a bastardsword. A righteous warrior with fantastic saves and spells(which i never got) seemed interesting at that time. He was one lucky bastard when the party got their hands on a "full plate mail". Fun fact, my second char was a Ranger(human using a longbow), funny as that is i've never been a huge fan of either class post ToB.
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    The first few times I was a thief. Yeah, before I became a paladin I was a pretty bad delinquent, who would've guessed? Probably telling of how I grew as a person or some nonsense.
    LynX said:

On my first playthrough I chose paladin, knight in a shiny armor with greatsword. But that was many, many, many years ago. For now I stick with evil assassin which is much more fun.

And one more thing - It is good to be evil.

*disappointed stare* He's the same way as me except in reverse. Shame.

• doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    Started out as a cleric. Regretted every time I saw my hand rise in the air knowing I had been chunked...again...shifted to paladin and have never regretted that choice. Paladin will always be my character of choice
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Fighter/Mage. Always my preferred choice in most game, sort of the "Arcane Warrior" type. Usually it's not very well done, but I keep trying...
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Alike @SamuelVarg, my first character in old BG1 was a Neutral Good mage. After I miserably died several times, progressed till Baldur's Gate and learned the game... I re-rolled a thief, Lawful Evil, just like @LynX.
    And stuck with thieves since...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    No clue. It was too long ago for me to remember.
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    Fighter dualed to mage at 3.
  • MiloMilo Member Posts: 59
    Neutral good halfling thief, way back in '98. Imported her to BG2 when it was released and chose Swashbuckler. That is still the only character I've finished the entire saga with.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Ranger 2 or 3->Cleric was my first class to play ( he may or may not have finished I can't recall) and a Ranger/Cleric multi was the first to finish both BG & BG2 - can't recall if he finished TOB also but I think he did.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    it was a ranger my first time around because it seemed really good when I didn't have as much understanding as I do now. Not that they are bad in the slightest, but I overestimated the things I was looking at. For rp purposes as well as out of disappointment there, I switched to a simple fighter on my third game. Don't remember if I had multiple fighters but I know it was one of my fighters I got through all the way to TOB. Now I am playing fighter/thief- backstabs, fighter thaco, decent ac with high dex and I can look forward to getting use any item so I could use carsomyr and full plate with my thieving skills I am liking this character
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I played a cleric-mage, because that's what I often played back in my tabletop days. I really wanted all those spells.

I was terrible at the game, and reloaded constantly, of course. By some miracle, I made it to the final battle, but I never could beat it, even after about a dozen tries. I finally had to give up. Nowadays I can usually make it to that final battle with no reloads, but it usually takes me three or four tries and some lucky positioning to beat it.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I played a Human Necromancer... Didn't even realise I was not able to cast certain spells. Entered melee regularly. Had stats all over the place... Didn't even find all the tomes...

Still took him all the way to the end of ToB...
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I really liked the idea of the Flame Blade spell, and wanted to be very effective with it, so I rolled up a Fighter/Cleric on my first attempts. Being about 11 years-old and playing my first D&D game, though, I didn't get very far.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    my first time was in 98 and our next door neighbour owned the game and asked if I wanted to give it a try, so he helped me make my character, I got a 18/00 str, and he said that was an amazing str to have, and I believe my con and dex were 15 and the other stats something above 10, and out I went, died A LOT, never had gold because I was going to temples often to revive party members/ spending gold on identifying items and healing party members, I remember the first time I could buy platemail armor, I felt invincible, and then I found the two handedsword+1 with my platemail armor and I was wrecking shop ( or at least I thought so) I remember one time I actually made it to 2000 gold, and I grinded gibberlings until I hit 3000 gold so I could buy the large shield+1 and I gave Khalid the platemail and large shield +1 and I thought he was god mode, and also back in those days, disk 3 was scratched so I could never go inside the naskiel mines, so for about a year and a half, I had to do everything outside of the nashkiel mines ( because he only did a recommened install where you had to swap disks, OH MY GOD swapping disks, holy poop on a stick, so much swappin) but yep, that fighter was awesome, it was so much fun not having a clue what I was doing, and just wielding a big sword with some platemail and chunkin baddies :)
  • taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 288
    mage, because it sounded cool. I died horribly.

Nowadays I know to only play multiclass
  • karl_maulderkarl_maulder Member Posts: 133
    edited September 2013
    @sarevok57 lol those were the days :) I remember upgrading my HD from 2GB to a 5GB(about $250 if i recall correctly) so i could install the "full" game.

My friend was really disappointed when he found out his 7th lvl Fighter dualed to cleric had reached the cap before regaining his fighter abilities. Most of the guys from my D&D group just grinded gibberlings and wolfs for hours, never really caring to follow the story, nor read the manual. :) Our DM insisted everyone should make a 7th level Fighter dualed to Cleric Multiplayer Party.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Paladin in my first ever file, shortly after the game's release when a neighbor gave me his discs. Never got anywhere near beating the game, I think I may have gotten as far as Cloakwood before giving it up. I was only 7 or 8 then. Oddly, I recieved Icewind Dale as a gift a year or two later and was able to beat it quite easily.

I didn't beat BG1 until years later, playing a Mage.
  • ArkanisGathArkanisGath Member Posts: 4
    First Mage, and charging with Staff to attack black bear. Painful lesson. :( . Next time kill in distance until damn winter wolf who also kill me at distance. :((. Next Thief hide and RUN. Happy to see next day. :)
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    My first BG playthrough was years after my first BG2 playthrough. I played an evil multi-class Fighter/Thief intent on bringing him all the way to ToB.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.