Baldur's Gate II and the $24.95 price point

Comments

• TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    edited September 2013
    kamuizin said:

Torin said:

Messi said:

Torin said:

What are you talking about? What 30+ new areas?! and 4 new NPCs are 3 from BG1EE and only 1 new one.
    Ah, I see. 30+ new areas are only for new NPCs. I hate that. That is not a selling point for me.. I don't want to be forced to take new NPCs. And new areas in BG1EE were bad. If these are same, I would rather play without them.

What? So because Dorn, Neera and Rasaad were in BGEE they aren't new characters?

Can you have Neera join you in BG2 now? No.
    Can you have Dorn join you in BG2 now? No.
    Can you have Rasaad join you in BG2 now? No.
    Can you have Hexxat join you in BG2 now? No.

Counting, one, two, three, four characters there myself.
    Still not worth +15$. Not even close. Not to mention I already own BG2 on CDs :)
    So, it is not worth +25$. I also own BG1, but I felt BGEE was worth buying. BG2EE is not. I will not support devs just based on brand loyalty or something. I only buy quality products worth the money.
    You know that Beamdog didn't put a gun barrel in your forehead and demanded you to purchase the game, do you? If these 4 characters are all that you see as new, and if you think 4 characters aren't worth $25... how can i put this withtout being offensive... well i can't: Go back to BG2 vanilla and be happy there. Simple as that.

You can also wait to see the bonus prices in steam if the price is what worry you so much, but then, that's your problem with steam as Beamdog has no link with the sales made there, that's covered by ATARI itself.

What you can't do, no matter what, is convince me or anyother people with good sense that the price is wrong. 1° - if i thought the price to be abusive, surely i woudn't need someone to explain this to me. 2° - you already stated your point about the price, so... what the f... you want now? It's not like the devs are going to bow before you and drop the prices with a following letter of apologise.
    How do you think people set prices for products? Do you think they just come up with random number?
    No. They figure out how much the product cost to make and put something on top depending on how much they think people will want to pay.
    Well my purpose is to show Beamdog their price is too high, that they took an already finished product, added in stuff that we payed by buying BGEE and then added random content not worth +15$. When they need to compete against people that can buy BG2 from GoG and us that already own BG2, what is their selling point?
    Yes there will always fanboys that buy based on being fans, but most of the people that buy want their money worth.

Personally I would play 25$ if the content was just better. What they offer is just not much. I don't want it to cost less, but I want it to have real added content and fixes.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited September 2013
    As you said @Torin, "they figure out how much the product cost... depending on how much they think people will want to pay". They set $25 and many ppl here including me are willing to pay the price. As i said i have a mind of my own to evaluate if things are over the deserved price or not. You make your pont in the first post, so i ask what do you want by repeating this point further?

Would you feel better if the first game was $10 and BG:EE was $15 and everything new they made come as paid DLC? Would you feel better if you had to pay 3-5$ to get Baeloth? Would you feel better if they charged $15 for BG2:EE, $3-5 for the new Thief and +3-5 for each further content made?

I would agree that a bonus price or benefit for pre-order, specially if that person pre-ordered BG:EE would be nice, that's the reason why i will not pre-order. but after the launch i will brought the game.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Torin said:

How do you think people set prices for products? Do you think they just come up with random number?
    No. They figure out how much the product cost to make and put something on top depending on how much they think people will want to pay.
    Well my purpose is to show Beamdog their price is too high, that they took an already finished product, added in stuff that we payed by buying BGEE and then added random content not worth +15$. When they need to compete against people that can buy BG2 from GoG and us that already own BG2, what is their selling point?
    Yes there will always fanboys that buy based on being fans, but most of the people that buy want their money worth.

Personally I would play 25$ if the content was just better. What they offer is just not much. I don't want it to cost less, but I want it to have real added content and fixes.

This one really bothers me... added stuff you already payed in BG:EE?!! I guess you are talking about Neera,Dorn and Rasaad.. how exactly??

Adding those 3 NPCs into BG2:EE does not involve writing new dialogs? story? quests for them+new areas? voice acting for the new lines? new interactions with the BG2 original NPCs? taking a NPC from BG and put it in BG2 is not just taking a character file and doing copy-paste!

"Added random content not worth 15$" - What exactly is random content for you?? and have you already tested the game that you say its not worth 15$ so firmly?
    Torin said:

They figure out how much the product cost to make and put something on top depending on how much they think people will want to pay.
    Well my purpose is to show Beamdog their price is too high

Are you a marketing advisor that you can evaluate the work of improving the UI and Code,adding 350,000 lines of text? how do you evaluate the price of newly added 30 areas? or even lets say adding ONE npc including quests,dialog, voice acting ? Do you have all the details of how many people worked on this project + how much time+how many hours a week?

• Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    i think ill leave my opinion on this. BG:EE was a massive bargain i pre-ordered months before the game was released and i nagged everyone i could to buy the game and a few did, before i knew about this i had to go on ebay and buy baldurs gate again because boo's squeak was stuck in my head (5 CD rom version for disc swapping nostalgia :D) and when i saw the actual content with the dozens of extra class kits like the werewolf druid and the paladin who is a monster in combat but cant turn undead, the barbarian who cannot be flanked making him the ultimate tank and wild magic (SO MUCH FUN) BG2:EE is worth the price alone, I've pre-ordered the game last week and i cant wait, also with the new characters you can have a cross game romance (you can apparently romance neera, not gotten to that point yet as i had to start again). $25 or £16 is a decent price for a game thats going to be awesome with extra goodies (same goodies as BG:EE but extra nonetheless) and i think anyone who thinks that the price they asked is too high has either not played it or completed it once, the replay value is exceptional and cross platform multiplayer is one of the best things, not everyone has a computer, not everyone has a mac, my friend bought it on tablet. if baldurs gate 2 came out in 2000 and its still being played 13 years later....how long with all this extra content last? another 13 years? its $25 / £16 worth it for 13 years of game? i think so
    edited September 2013
    mch202 said:

Torin said:

This one really bothers me... added stuff you already payed in BG:EE?!! I guess you are talking about Neera,Dorn and Rasaad.. how exactly??

Adding those 3 NPCs into BG2:EE does not involve writing new dialogs? story? quests for them+new areas? voice acting for the new lines? new interactions with the BG2 original NPCs? taking a NPC from BG and put it in BG2 is not just taking a character file and doing copy-paste!

"Added random content not worth 15$" - What exactly is random content for you?? and have you already tested the game that you say its not worth 15$ so firmly?
    I am talking about all the work they did on integrating widescreen, new UI and fixing lots of bugs (including some they made themselves). I bought BGEE so I can get all features of BG Tutu + widescreen + some of these engine improvements without bothering with mods that I had bad experience with.
    I am just playing a new campaign these last few days and I don't have any new NPCs and I am loving it more then when I did have them. They wasted space and nothing good happened with them (well I never tried Rashad and I never will; monks are pretty useless at start of BG2, I don't want to play a more useless version at even lower levels).
    mch202 said:

Torin said:

They figure out how much the product cost to make and put something on top depending on how much they think people will want to pay.

Are you a marketing advisor that you can evaluate the work of improving the UI and Code,adding 350,000 lines of text? how do you evaluate the price of newly added 30 areas? or even lets say adding ONE npc including quests,dialog, voice acting ? Do you have all the details of how many people worked on this project + how much time+how many hours a week?
    From their sales pitch all this words and areas are added for new NPCs which I don't care at all. But the base game is unchanged except for widescreen mode and some of those UI changes that are not worth +15$ (or 25$). For BG2 they only added valueless stuff to me. I want added maps that I can take any combination of party and explore and battle. It is like taking a standard car and adding fancy additions like gold MP3 player and charging for it 2.5x the cost you can get it from another guy (GoG), a same car without some fancy adds.
    you could also add that they allowed newer computers to play the game, some are just too good and therefore bugs happen, on my laptop all the colours are messed up on starcraft and i had some difficulty gettings original baldurs gate to run (but i blame windows 8 for that, NEVER GET IT) but i think i got lucky with BG:EE as i only had one problem running it and that got fixed in like 5 minutes (black screen at load) since then never had a single issue, hopefully ill get lucky and have another essentially flawless game in terms of mechanical workings and like BG:EE i can help those who had problems. if these games work on modern computers then i think its worth it than having to spends days sometimes weeks to fix an old game.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    gunman said:

Madhax said:

And most of the bugs from BGEE were engine issues, the fixes of which should carry over into BG2EE.

Not really. Broken quests are not engine issues and one is persisting even now in the prologue. After seeing how BG:EE was dished out, I'm prepared for anything now.
    Obviously. Good thing hotfixes exist for that single, inconsequential bug. It would have been fixed months ago if legal monkeys hadn't flung their feces all over the development team.

Read the passage you quoted. I said "most of".
  • triclops41triclops41 Member Posts: 207
    A thing is worth what people will pay for it. Entitled gamers and anticapitalists can rail against that reality all they want; they might as well rail against gravity.
    Purudaya said:

Torin said:

mch202 said:

Torin said:

I am talking about all the work they did on integrating widescreen, new UI and fixing lots of bugs (including some they made themselves). I bought BGEE so I can get all features of BG Tutu + widescreen + some of these engine improvements without bothering with mods that I had bad experience with.
    I am just playing a new campaign these last few days and I don't have any new NPCs and I am loving it more then when I did have them. They wasted space and nothing good happened with them (well I never tried Rashad and I never will; monks are pretty useless at start of BG2, I don't want to play a more useless version at even lower levels).
    mch202 said:

Torin said:

From their sales pitch all this words and areas are added for new NPCs which I don't care at all. But the base game is unchanged except for widescreen mode and some of those UI changes that are not worth +15$ (or 25$). For BG2 they only added valueless stuff to me. I want added maps that I can take any combination of party and explore and battle. It is like taking a standard car and adding fancy additions like gold MP3 player and charging for it 2.5x the cost you can get it from another guy (GoG), a same car without some fancy adds.
    Over 300,000 words of dialogue, new kits, new areas, new content in ToB that they "can't talk about yet", hundreds of bug fixes, zooming and ui improvements, and new HD renders =/= a game unchanged. The fact that you don't like these additions (what BG2 fan wouldn't be excited about new npcs?!) indicates that the EE might not be for you, not that the price is somehow unfair.

Side note: do you know how much it costs to pay writers and voice actors to produce 300,000+ words of dialogue? Hint: the average novel contains between 100,000 and 170,000 words.

Finally, we're arguing over a relatively small price increase (I don't know where this +$15 nonsense is coming from: BG:EE costs $19.99 and BG2:EE costs $24.95). At what integer in that 5 dollar difference did the price somehow become outrageous?
    I feel like I am talking to walls. I say things and people ignore it all and repeat same senseless bullshit all over...

• PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    Torin said:

Purudaya said:

Torin said:

mch202 said:

Torin said:

mch202 said:

Torin said:

Over 300,000 words of dialogue, new kits, new areas, new content in ToB that they "can't talk about yet", hundreds of bug fixes, zooming and ui improvements, and new HD renders =/= a game unchanged. The fact that you don't like these additions (what BG2 fan wouldn't be excited about new npcs?!) indicates that the EE might not be for you, not that the price is somehow unfair.

Side note: do you know how much it costs to pay writers and voice actors to produce 300,000+ words of dialogue? Hint: the average novel contains between 100,000 and 170,000 words.

Finally, we're arguing over a relatively small price increase (I don't know where this +$15 nonsense is coming from: BG:EE costs $19.99 and BG2:EE costs $24.95). At what integer in that 5 dollar difference did the price somehow become outrageous?
    I feel like I am talking to walls. I say things and people ignore it all and repeat same senseless bullshit all over...

Funny, I feel the same way.

• Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803

you could also add that they allowed newer computers to play the game, some are just too good and therefore bugs happen, on my laptop all the colours are messed up on starcraft and i had some difficulty gettings original baldurs gate to run (but i blame windows 8 for that, NEVER GET IT) but i think i got lucky with BG:EE as i only had one problem running it and that got fixed in like 5 minutes (black screen at load) since then never had a single issue, hopefully ill get lucky and have another essentially flawless game in terms of mechanical workings and like BG:EE i can help those who had problems. if these games work on modern computers then i think its worth it than having to spends days sometimes weeks to fix an old game.

I don't know the rig you are using, but thoughout the ages, I was always able to play the original 5 CD editions of Baldur's Gate 1 and 4CD for the BG 2 (with the latest patches and expansions).

Either on my laptop or desktop PC, I had no problem to use these games. Also, GOG editions work flawlessly.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803

Let me see here. I have the original game on disc. It installs just fine. But when I go to play it, I am quickly reminded that I have a huge, HD monitor and a modern PC as well. By buying this new version I get a version that is actually clear and smooth on my new monitor? I get four new NPCs, three of which will be carrying over from BG:EE, and so have what amounts to extensive continuing storylines? I get some new areas? Oh, and I get an actively supported version, unlike my discs?

Oh come on...

I was answering to the fact the original version of the game was not working anymore on newer OS or laptop/desktop PC...
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 419
    Torin said:

Purudaya said:

Torin said:

mch202 said:

Torin said:

mch202 said:

Torin said:

Just because YOU personally don't care about the new content doesn't mean that content doesn't have to be paid for. The new content took time and people need to be paid for the effort. If you're that upset and you don't feel as if your money is being well spent then the answer is quite simple... don't buy it.

You also have a great deal of nerve thinking you "know" everything that went into bringing us BG2:EE. Unless you're one of the devs you DON'T know. You DON'T have that info. You also assume something that it patently untrue. That features made for BG1:EE (the widescreen stuff/bug fixes) somehow completely mean no work is needed to be done on BG2:EE. They are two different games. They might be using the same engine but integrating the tech from 1 into 2 is almost certainly not as a simple as plug and play. It introduces new bugs and new challenges that need to be overcome and that takes time and money to pay employees to do that.

Then of course there's the NEW areas, the NEW dialogue, the NEW NPC Thief, Adding in Dorn, Neera, and Rasaad, Making sure all THAT content works, Making sure everything works on different platforms, translations, and more. THEN you have CONTINUED SUPPORT with patches that fix new or missed bugs. That support may seem like it should be free but the fact is the people doing the work on those patches have to eat and pay rent too. THEN theres NEW free content like we got in BG1EE with the new kits. Someone has to be paid to make that, integrate it, fix bugs, etc.

Ultimately you don't think you're getting your money's worth. I can respect that. That's a decision we all have to make when purchasing a product. But your reasons for why you think the price is too high are fundamentally flawed and without hard data to back them up. They rely on assumptions by you and a complete disregard of what you subjectively determine are "features I am not interested in and/or feel I paid for with the previous title".
    edited September 2013
    I'm still trying to figure out why @Torin is repeating all this stuff over and over. Atm i'm feeling as an expert in his opinion from the much that i already read of it.

Ok, i get it, to you the game isn't worth the price. I don't agree but i got your point. Now, we're still discussing this cos...?
    Because.. read my last post.
  • PadentonPadenton Member Posts: 48
    kamuizin said:

I'm still trying to figure out why @Torin is repeating all this stuff over and over. Atm i'm feeling as an expert in his opinion from the much that i already read of it.

Ok, i get it, to you the game isn't worth the price. I don't agree but i got your point. Now, we're still discussing this cos...?

Seems to me he's just upset that people disagree with him.
    @Torin, no one cares. Don't like the game, don't buy it, stop wasting your time on this forum which you've made nearly 50 posts on.
    Padenton said:

kamuizin said:

@Torin, no one cares. Don't like the game, don't buy it, stop wasting your time on this forum which you've made nearly 50 posts on.
    Ah so, I am forbidden to use a forum for BG1EE that I preordered and played for so long? And who are you to tell me this?
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Oh man, people are still arguing in this thread? I thought once I told you all that I pre-ordered you would all just say "gg" and go pre-order it too.

Seriously, $25 is not that much money for this game or any game in general. Just because I bought unreal tourney 2004 on a steam sale for $2, doesn't mean I should expect all games to be $2, right?

If you guys want to see more enhanced editions and potentially another game set in baldurs gates, then you know what you need to do....right? Oh you don't? You need to buy this.
  • Suggestion, though i doubt it's possible, lol
    Get $5 off for sending in your original BG2 discs. Get another $5 off if you also send in your ToB discs.
    Torin said:

Padenton said:

kamuizin said:

Ah so, I am forbidden to use a forum for BG1EE that I preordered and played for so long? And who are you to tell me this?
    No dude, you're not forbidden of use the BG forum, but... there's no point anymore in discuss this issue, so many arguments against the price, another thousands supporting the price and from you specific ideas and reasons to no support the price, we have a lot of posts here already.

Know that i, at least, aknowledge and understand your dissatisfaction. I'm not going to say that you're wrong, it's your money and your time after all that you're investing if you buy the game. Just don't mistake my understand of your reasons as an acceptance of them. I don't agree with your reasoning, but if that's work for you then to you and your life it's a truth.

I suggest @Torin that you wait for the game to be launched in STEAM then you can buy it there. BG:EE got a promo price with 75% cheaper, so if the same pattern repeats, it's PROBALLY that you can get the game from STEAM at $6,25. If that's a reasonable price for you, then go for it. If the assumed $6,25 price (that i'm just guessing) is still to high for you, then i advice you to look for another game cos i don't think the game price can go lower than this.
    edited September 2013
    I like to avoid Steam if possible :)
    I will wait for game to come out so players can tell me what is really improved and then I can decide to wait until they drop the price or buy it as it is.
  • TolkienBardTolkienBard Member Posts: 13

Oh come on...

I was answering to the fact the original version of the game was not working anymore on newer OS or laptop/desktop PC...

Perhaps it works fine for you. I, on the other hand am looking at BG2 right now, having spent yesterday installing it on my new Windows 8 PC. It looks like garbage, even with the resolution selected as high as the setup menu will allow me. It borders on completely unplayable, and is firmly ensconced at the corner of the realm of Terribad and Craptastic.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I can't get BG2 to work on my computer, either. Might be something I can fix with some tinkering, but it's as good an excuse as any for me to wait for BG2EE.
  • PadentonPadenton Member Posts: 48
    Torin said:

Padenton said:

kamuizin said:

I'm no one, and you're certainly allowed to use a forum. I was just curious as to why you would continue using the forum when 15 of your last 20 comments have been complaints. Go ask for your money back and go back to the old versions if you dislike the enhanced editions so much.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    We're not about to turn anyone away just for not liking the game (or for not liking certain aspects of it).

There are certainly things that deserve criticism, both about the game itself and about its current state. I won't have people being bullied just for stating their views (although naturally we always hope that those views are stated with a certain level of respect).

I don't know the rig you are using, but thoughout the ages, I was always able to play the original 5 CD editions of Baldur's Gate 1 and 4CD for the BG 2 (with the latest patches and expansions).

Either on my laptop or desktop PC, I had no problem to use these games. Also, GOG editions work flawlessly.

also for those new posters @Aasimar069 said the above, could you perhaps tell us how you got it to work fine? my BG2 version is the 4 disc big box edition in particular, seeing as you got it to work so flawlessly could you share how? thanks!
    Padenton said:

Torin said:

Padenton said:

kamuizin said:

I'm no one, and you're certainly allowed to use a forum. I was just curious as to why you would continue using the forum when 15 of your last 20 comments have been complaints. Go ask for your money back and go back to the old versions if you dislike the enhanced editions so much.
    And people wonder why I am still posting here. Until people stop putting things in my mouth I will not stop.
    Please show me where I said I dislike BGEE? I even said I bought it although I own BG1 just so I can have all these mods integrated without needing to do it myself. I did say I dislike some added content for BGEE, but that is much different then you telling me to go back to old versions. First you tell me to leave the forum, and then you tell me to leave my BGEE and go play BG1... I think you should stop telling me what to do, at least learn to read people posts first...