Skip to content

EXII - Baldur's Gate Portrait Artwork (UPDATE: 1 New Portrait - Female Blackguard)

13»

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    @Shandyr - My old trusty laptop couldn't handle the art programs I insisted on running with it. I am thinking a combination of cat hair and overheating managed to damage the fan - something I did not notice until some smoke came out of the back of it. Oops.

It was its time.
    [Deleted User]
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110

-chuckles- the teeth were once defined! I was told to un-define them and make them a less 'edgy' in a bit of advice I got on DeviantArt.

Ah. Well, in that case I would suggest blurring, but not blurring as much. :)

The blurriness of the teeth, in contrast to most of the well defined picture, draws my attention away from the rest of the image so that I am looking almost exclusively at the teeth.

Other than that, I cannot think of anything else.

I think they work well in the BG:EE portrait sizes - not tried them in game yet however.

I would assume they probably look fine given their reduced resolution. I cannot say I have tried it either, though.
    EntropyXII
    edited September 2013
    That's an improvement (to me, at least).

Higher contrast also works better, in my opinion. 'Evil' tends to come in contrasting colours - shaded areas and lightened patches. :)

There appears to be a point on the upper lip, though. I assume that is part of the blurring process?
    @Troodon80 - do you mean the point on the lower part of the upper lip? Not to sure why that is there - will fix it!

The improvement with regards to the teeth, or the contrast? I am deliberating whether or not to up the contrast for the portrait or leave it as it is. My portraits and BG1 portraits have a higher contrast in comparison to Bg2, but I went for a BG2 look in the portrait so I am unsure if it works..

The improvement with regards to the teeth, or the contrast?

Both. :)

The contrast increase doesn't look to have been a huge amount, at least as far as the (layer) difference is worth. If you take a picture of Anomen, for example, you will notice that there is still quite a bit of contrast on the facial tones. I would say that, currently, it works. :)
    edited September 2013

Gonna make this one my final edit. Increased saturation, with higher shadows and a slightly higher contrast. I painted in lower saturated areas to give an increase in depth and variation in colour.

I darkened the gums and added the correct highlights to the nose (to correct lighting issues.. looks good I think!) as per advice by @Zanian. I also fixed the teeth, making them slightly more defined and less blurry (as well as darkening the gums) as per advice by @Troodon80.

The hair is something I will attempt to correct by my next piece. Making too many alterations at the moment is something I am not keen on (need a rest) and the hair would take quite some time! Not to worry, all advice is heeded and I will look to making the correct changes in the future.
    Aedan[Deleted User]
    Looks great. :)

The largest resolution for BG:EE is 210x300 on the character creation, so there is a bit of clipping. Small and medium don't need to clip that much. Also, any other imperfections that no one but you will notice (as I'm sure every artist keeps those at the forefront of their mind) will not be noticeable at the lower resolutions. Hair, too, is less of a problem at lower resolutions.

I cannot think of any other good input.
    edited September 2013
    @Troodon80 - 210x300? you sure? I could be positive @Jalily mentioned it was 210x330. Damn.

Well that's what it says here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6671/portrait-dimensions-for-bg-ee/p1
    @EntropyXII, I was just reading from this thread. After looking at the in-game images, it is 210x330. My fault.
    @Troodon80 - You just made my heart skip a beat xD After losing all the original sized pieces it would be impossible to change the sizes correctly without losing quality... phew.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    EntropyXII
    17 charisma? @Shandyr, you are my new favourite person =D
    [Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    EntropyXII