Skip to content

Baldur's Gate II and the $24.95 price point

Comments

• gunmangunman Member Posts: 215

also for those new posters @Aasimar069 said the above, could you perhaps tell us how you got it to work fine? my BG2 version is the 4 disc big box edition in particular, seeing as you got it to work so flawlessly could you share how? thanks!

On my laptop with Windows 7 - 64 bit, a clean install of BG1 and BG2, with official patches only, works perfectly, no hacks or tweaks needed. What exactly is your problem?
  • agentmulderagentmulder Member Posts: 114
    Dee said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with not preordering the game, or with thinking that $25 is too much to pay for anything. It's up to the consumer to make that decision, and we're not putting a crossbow to anyone's head.

Obviously, we think it's well worth the money--and on a personal note I think it's a travesty that the originals are being sold for so little now, it seems like a gross misrepresentation of the game's actual value--but everyone has different criteria.

For those who think it's too much, can we expect a Beamdog sale before it comes to steam? I prefer to give you guys $15 than pay $ 7,5 on Steam.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited September 2013

you could also add that they allowed newer computers to play the game, some are just too good and therefore bugs happen, on my laptop all the colours are messed up on starcraft and i had some difficulty gettings original baldurs gate to run (but i blame windows 8 for that, NEVER GET IT) but i think i got lucky with BG:EE as i only had one problem running it and that got fixed in like 5 minutes (black screen at load) since then never had a single issue, hopefully ill get lucky and have another essentially flawless game in terms of mechanical workings and like BG:EE i can help those who had problems. if these games work on modern computers then i think its worth it than having to spends days sometimes weeks to fix an old game.

I don't know the rig you are using, but thoughout the ages, I was always able to play the original 5 CD editions of Baldur's Gate 1 and 4CD for the BG 2 (with the latest patches and expansions).

Either on my laptop or desktop PC, I had no problem to use these games. Also, GOG editions work flawlessly.

also for those new posters @Aasimar069 said the above, could you perhaps tell us how you got it to work fine? my BG2 version is the 4 disc big box edition in particular, seeing as you got it to work so flawlessly could you share how? thanks!
    As a start, you can try to install it in another directory than the one established by default by the installer.

For instance : C:\BG2 (or D:\Games\BG2).

Many games had problems with the X86 directory of the Program files from Vista 64 bits and W7 64 bits
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited September 2013
    gunman said:

On my laptop with Windows 7 - 64 bit, a clean install of BG1 and BG2, with official patches only, works perfectly, no hacks or tweaks needed. What exactly is your problem?

I have a similar setup (i.e. one year old laptop with Windows 7 - 64 bit and the GOG version of BG1 and BG2) and it also works perfectly.

The only issue I've experienced was some lag in some areas like Nashkel (this seems to affect only recent hardware as I didn't have any lag on my previous older laptop). In case others are experiencing the same problem, I was able to completely solve the lag problem by disabling ambient sound, i.e. running BGConfig.exe and checking the two options in red in the image below:

• terzaerianterzaerian Member Posts: 232
    edited September 2013
    Erg said:

gunman said:

I have a similar setup (i.e. one year old laptop with Windows 7 - 64 bit and the GOG version of BG1 and BG2) and it also works perfectly.

The only issue I've experienced was some lag in some areas like Nashkel (this seems to affect only recent hardware as I didn't have any lag on my previous older laptop). In case others are experiencing the same problem, I was able to completely solve the lag problem by disabling ambient sound, i.e. running BGConfig.exe and checking the two options in red in the image below:

Don't do this: ambient sounds add so much to the game.

The tip I found to deal with "the Nashkel lag" in Tutu is this: go into baldur.ini, search for

Low Mem Sounds 1=0
    Low Mem Sounds 2=0

and switch both of them to 1. This should fix Nashkel lag on its own without sacrificing ambient sounds.

EDIT: Well one of those options probably corresponds to the config fix, but I still do get ambient sounds.

Don't do this: ambient sounds add so much to the game.

The tip I found to deal with "the Nashkel lag" in Tutu is this: go into baldur.ini, search for

Low Mem Sounds 1=0
    Low Mem Sounds 2=0

and switch both of them to 1. This should fix Nashkel lag on its own without sacrificing ambient sounds.

EDIT: Well one of those options probably corresponds to the config fix, but I still do get ambient sounds.

@terzaerian

The description in the config program is misleading. I still do get ambient sounds either.

I checked and your solution is the same of mine:

"Low Mem Sounds 1=1" is equivalent to checking "No High Memory Ambient Sounds" and
    "Low Mem Sounds 2=1" is equivalent to checking "Disable All Ambient Sounds"
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I think this thread has gotten a bit off topic.

If you'd like to start a new thread to discuss installing the old disc-version of the game, feel free to do so.
  • TolkienBardTolkienBard Member Posts: 13
    gunman said:

I'm glad it works nicely for you. I did a clean install of BG2 and TOB a few days ago. Then I d/l the last official patch and added it. When I go to play, the graphics are so bad that it is all but unplayable. I'm not merely talking about the graphics looking old/dated. I'm talking about them actually being so bad as to make it work to be able to read the words on the screen, even just the screen selecting between a SA game or a TOB game.

I would love to be playing BG2 right now. But, unless something magically fixes things, I will be needing to wait until BG2:EE is finally available. The ability to play BG2 on my large, widescreen, HD monitor is in itself enough to convince me to invest in the product. The fact that investing in the product also happens to be an investment in the future of endeavours by Overhaul is just icing on the cake.
    So there is nothing wrong with the game from a technical point of view, it's just you not liking the low resolution on a large monitor.

On a laptop, the original resolution is perfect.

I consider your point weird, since old school RPG fans aren't characterized by pretentious graphic demands, even VGA graphics can be charming.

When I go to play, the graphics are so bad that it is all but unplayable. I'm not merely talking about the graphics looking old/dated. I'm talking about them actually being so bad as to make it work to be able to read the words on the screen, even just the screen selecting between a SA game or a TOB game.

I would love to be playing BG2 right now. But, unless something magically fixes things, I will be needing to wait until BG2:EE is finally available.

@TolkienBard

The following two mods will magically fix your problem:

G3 Widescreen Mod

BG2 Bigger Fonts

@Dee

I'm sorry for the OT, I just wanted to help @TolkienBard. Feel free to move my posts elsewhere.
    I can understand that here most people praise EE unconditionally, but when expressing their opinion why EE is superior to original (and there are some strong arguments in support of this), some come with the most hilarious arguments, like faster loading time, better graphics, easier to install etc.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    gunman said:

I can understand that here most people praise EE unconditionally, but when expressing their opinion why EE is superior to original (and there are some strong arguments in support of this), some come with the most hilarious arguments, like faster loading time, better graphics, easier to install etc.

time is money - saving "money" by spending less time with setup or during the game (faster loading/ease of install) is a benefit.

I don't find spending the time to install mods all that much of a burden using BWS myself and worth it if I'm going to sink the number of hours needed to finish the game into it.
    edited September 2013
    gunman said:

Better graphics are "hilarious"?

While graphics are not the core of a game, beautiful graphics are a really good thing.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    ok this is turning into a giant flame war here so everyone calm down @padenton dont bother replying to this and @torin i understand you dont like whats being added to BG2:EE fair enough or at least whats being added isnt enough for the extra $5 perhaps more will be added but i would imagine people who pre-order BG2:EE will get all the characters and stuff extra, as its my understanding that if you dont pre order you have to buy the extra characters. and as you want to avoid steam its probably cheaper to pre-order it now rather than spend more money on something you've wanted cheaper anyway. im not saying buy it or gtfo i listed my reasons why i dont mind the extra $5 i dont think we've disagreed on anything so far so to keep everyone happy (or try at least) perhaps we can move this topic of conversation into how awesome BG2 is (or start a new threat and get an admin to close this one perhaps as this isnt going anywhere quickly, thanks)
    Yes, but EE graphics are the same as in original, just displayed at a higher resolution. Not always a good thing, as the game was not designed with very high resolutions in mind, and character sprites can look minuscule. Yes, you can zoom in, with the price of background becoming blurry.
    And the new GUI graphics (the blueish thing) isn't a piece of art, to put it politely. Fortunately, the archaic mod enhanced it greatly.
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419

i would imagine people who pre-order BG2:EE will get all the characters and stuff extra, as its my understanding that if you dont pre order you have to buy the extra characters.

This is incorrect. As with BG:EE, PC users get the extra characters included in the game for the price at the store.

iPad users will have the option of paying extra for the new characters.

I also fail to see how faster loading times (no loading screen!) and being easier to install are hilarous.
  • RangerSGRangerSG Member Posts: 22
    $25 is more than reasonable. I really don't see the point of waiting 5months on steam for a 5 dollar reduction.

And what you get on GoG doesn't have the updates and architecture. Yeah, you can do that with TUTU. IF you want to spend 20 hours downloading, extracting, tweaking, and then you get a lot of stuff you may or may not have wanted. (And this is from a guy who had the Trilogy mod and enjoyed it.) Oh, and that's STILL not updated to current architecture. *shrug* I don't see the gripe.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704

ok this is turning into a giant flame war here so everyone calm down @padenton dont bother replying to this and @torin i understand you dont like whats being added to BG2:EE fair enough or at least whats being added isnt enough for the extra $5 perhaps more will be added but i would imagine people who pre-order BG2:EE will get all the characters and stuff extra, as its my understanding that if you dont pre order you have to buy the extra characters. and as you want to avoid steam its probably cheaper to pre-order it now rather than spend more money on something you've wanted cheaper anyway. im not saying buy it or gtfo i listed my reasons why i dont mind the extra $5 i dont think we've disagreed on anything so far so to keep everyone happy (or try at least) perhaps we can move this topic of conversation into how awesome BG2 is (or start a new threat and get an admin to close this one perhaps as this isnt going anywhere quickly, thanks)

you see that your statements just insert more flame in the discussion, do you?
    RangerSG said:

$25 is more than reasonable. I really don't see the point of waiting 5months on steam for a 5 dollar reduction.

And what you get on GoG doesn't have the updates and architecture. Yeah, you can do that with TUTU. IF you want to spend 20 hours downloading, extracting, tweaking, and then you get a lot of stuff you may or may not have wanted. (And this is from a guy who had the Trilogy mod and enjoyed it.) Oh, and that's STILL not updated to current architecture. *shrug* I don't see the gripe.

Actually, you will be able to buy it on Steam for $7,50, on time.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2013

RangerSG said:

Based on what? BGEE wasn't released on steam until Jan 16, 2013. That was a month and a half after the original release date. Even then it wasn't on sale until March 24th.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    elminster said:

RangerSG said:

Based on what? BGEE wasn't released on steam until Jan 16, 2013. That was a month and a half after the original release date. Even then it wasn't on sale until March 24th.
    His post makes more sense if you figure that "on time" was meant to be "in time". I think he was just responding to the line about "5 months on steam for a 5 dollar reduction", namely that the reduction would be more than $5. Although I'm not sure where he got the $7.50 from. Assuming Steam's typical max sale reduction (75% off), BG2:EE would cost $6.25.
    edited September 2013
    TJ_Hooker said:

elminster said:

RangerSG said:

His post makes more sense if you figure that "on time" was meant to be "in time". I think he was just responding to the line about "5 months on steam for a 5 dollar reduction", namely that the reduction would be more than $5. Although I'm not sure where he got the $7.50 from. Assuming Steam's typical max sale reduction (75% off), BG2:EE would cost $6.25.
    Right.

Sorry for my mistake. English it's not my primary language.

I keep posting in this topic, but it's not just to complain. I'm hoping the guys on Beamdog read it, and do a 50% sale on the same day the game reaches Steam. I prefer to buy from the developer (and I liked the BG:EE launcher) at a lower price, than buy from Steam from a really low price and give the developer just a fraction of that.
    Post edited by agentmulder on
  • ilovelinuxilovelinux Member Posts: 3
    Goddard said:

I would pay more for a Linux version.

+1 linux
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    I guess most people here already own a copy of this game.

so are you willing to pay 25$ for:

the 4 new NPC's + the ekstra content they provide
    the new arena
    play without the hazzle of installing mods
    easy to use multiplayer

when I played BG:EE it was almost bug free:
    I had a shop price bug, and could not add location indicators on the map, both minor imho. And both were fixed before I could finish my playthough.

I will gladly pay 25 bucks for this.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2013
    etagloc said:

I guess most people here already own a copy of this game.

So are you willing to pay 25$ for:

the 4 new NPC's + the extra content they provide
    the new arena
    play without the hassle of installing mods
    easy to use multiplayer

when I played BG:EE it was almost bug free:
    I had a shop price bug, and could not add location indicators on the map, both minor imho. And both were fixed before I could finish my playthrough.

I will gladly pay 25 bucks for this.

Just included some minor spelling corrections to your post etagloc.

As for the price point I think its fair (thats all I'll say about that ! :p )
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    $25 is nothing. That's a medium pizza or just a little bit more than it costs going to the cinema which is usually what, 90 minutes worth of entertainment? I expect BG2:EE to provide me a lot more fun than that. Games are good value for money if you compare them to other sources of entertainment and this is cheap to boot.

That being said I have not pre-ordered this time around since I still grudgingly remember the fiasco with the first launch. I'll wait till a day before, can't imagine another one of those months long "polishings" will be applied in that short timeframe.
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    @elminster
    hehe sure..
    sorry english is not my first language, hope its atleast readable
    sometimes its a little daunting to post on forums.
    But if you never try, you will never be a part of this lovely community.
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171

$25 is nothing. That's a medium pizza or just a little bit more than it costs going to the cinema which is usually what, 90 minutes worth of entertainment? I expect BG2:EE to provide me a lot more fun than that. Games are good value for money if you compare them to other sources of entertainment and this is cheap to boot.

That being said I have not pre-ordered this time around since I still grudgingly remember the fiasco with the first launch. I'll wait till a day before, can't imagine another one of those months long "polishings" will be applied in that short timeframe.

Hate it when people try to downplay $25 as a pizza or something

Medium pizzas are like $5 dude. Sure, $25 is a good value for good entertainment, but people are arguing why do we have to pay $25 for a new version that didn't really change much when you can pay less than half of that for something that is better ? (more stable, more compatibility with really good mods)
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Dee said:

Plus roughly twenty hours of new content (on the conservative end), new enhancements, and the promise of continuing support.

@Dee that's really nice to hear, but it would be nice to know if it's all tied to the new NPCs as it was in BGEE?