Skip to content

The level of effort team members are putting in

Comments

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Madhax said:

people are really going to be impressed when they see how many bugs i've added

Not sure if joke or freudian slip.
    I may be just a little man that doesn't understand nothing about software development, but I believe @PhillipDaigle means "added to the tracker".
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I'm pretty sure Phil's just testing me to see how far he can go before I ban him for trolling. :)
    JarrakulBoozillakaguanaForse
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    He might not be lying.
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    I'm glad that you decided to stick with SoA "girl", and not ToB skull. Now my main worry is a return of sorting by date in journal.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Xzar said:

I'm glad that you decided to stick with SoA "girl", and not ToB skull. Now my main worry is a return of sorting by date in journal.

That's a man, man.
    [Deleted User]
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    edited September 2013
    ajwz said:

Xzar said:

That's a man, man.
    How so? I always thought its a Waukeen.

http://cs405720.vk.me/v405720089/54e5/E2kCHpGEX3I.jpg

Fredjo
  • TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    Phil has pretty leet chops at bug creation.
    ElectricMonkAnton
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Xzar said:

ajwz said:

Xzar said:

That's a man, man.
    How so? I always thought its a Waukeen.

http://cs405720.vk.me/v405720089/54e5/E2kCHpGEX3I.jpg

It's the surface elves and the drow in opposition; you know, kinda the crux of SoA.
    elminster
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744
    You can please all of the people some of the time, and all of the people all of the time...
    Queynos
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Was...was this post supposed to be in the "employee only" forum?
    JuliusBorisovFredjo
  • ilhdrilhdr Member Posts: 33
    Go back to work guys!
    JuliusBorisovkaguana
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    I think you guys are blessed to have such a cool job, I would love to be part of something so creative. I know it probably gets stressful with deadlines and critics breathing down your neck 24/7 but take time to appreciate where you are and what you're doing. It's an amazing task to help create something timeless, that gives thousands of people joy. Thanks!
    AlexMwojtekAristillius[Deleted User]
  • Papy_SilkPapy_Silk Member Posts: 44
    Please, don't EVER say this kind of details are "too much". Polishing the GUI is one of the most important thing EVER. That's the only part of the game you ALWAYS have on screen ! è_é

If you ask me - sorry TrentOster - the BGEE GUI is clearly not as good as it should be. It's not as poetic and well-drawn as original BG2 GUI. I really hope that BG2EE GUI will be as good if not better, as it would offend 13 years of "this is my favorite game" sentences in dinners. è_é

I mean wow, everytime I launch BG2 I'm still blown up by the sadness of the music of the main menu, the poetic lines of the main menu, the colors, like old paper, this two strange faces... This is f*cking hundred times better than the skull of the BG1 or the ToB menu, or all this stupid horror pics like diablo's...

BG2 had an artistic direction (IWD2 too in a different way) that is still, 13 years after, a main influence for me when I am directing games. Diablo 3 is child play, honnestly. Those who think D3 is beautiful isometric never entered in the Lathander temple in Athkatla, nor in Suldanessellar, nor in hundred of "WTF" areas in BG2 and BG2 ToB. When I want to play a beautiful isometric game with friends, I start a new IWD2 multiplayer campaign. I uninstalled D3 long ago.

So yes, if I launch BG2EE and I see the kind of graphical ugly glitches that TrentOster showed in the first post, believe me, I will write his name with my blood on a black diary and I will chase him through the nine hells and murder him slowly with a little spoon. è_é

That's how serious I am with GUI and I am NOT kidding. è_é

(Anyway, I'll probably murder him for BG3. There's no way it can lives up to my expectations. Sorry, Trent, you'll die in pain anyway.)

PS: oh by the way, I'm not against new content. I'm playing BGEE right now and the new content is really good. It's a little rough art-wisely (might deserve more details and polish), but still a very good quality and I like it ! Neera is as good (if not better) as all the best BG2 characters. I support you guys, continue the good work !
    sunset00
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @Lateralus Yeah, at the end of the day, the knowledge that we are working on Baldur's Gate kind of dwarfs any issues and criticism!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2013
    Papy_Silk said:

Please, don't EVER say this kind of details are "too much". Polishing the GUI is one of the most important thing EVER. That's the only part of the game you ALWAYS have on screen ! è_é

If you ask me - sorry TrentOster - the BGEE GUI is clearly not as good as it should be. It's not as poetic and well-drawn as original BG2 GUI. I really hope that BG2EE GUI will be as good if not better, as it would offend 13 years of "this is my favorite game" sentences in dinners. è_é

Just to point one thing out BG2 and BG1 use different styles. BG2 was more elvish in its style (due to much of the plot involving elves). BG1 incorporated stone a lot more and was more "dwarven" themed. If they'd done something more stylistic it just wouldn't have looked right given what BG1 looked like.
    That's a nice way to say that BG1 was ugly - let's be honnest, it was, and it still is. The maps are terrible, the GUI was even more terrible before BGEE... Beside that, BG1 storytelling is boring and the plot is uninteresting and too simple (mostly because Sarevok is a braindead character). I've played hundreds of games better than BG1 to be honnest. Diablo 3 for example. Still I don't think I've played a lot of games better than Shadow of Amn. (arguably none)

So that's not dwarf-related, that's just a problem with BG1 being bad. And nothing could have changed that anyway, so BGEE does its job fine.

However, there's good "stone GUI" and there's bad ones. The stone GUI of BGEE is average. But I can't say it's good - it's not. The parts clips badly, a lot of parts are not smooth enough (you see lines of pixels), and most of the graphical assets are too rough. It's amateurish. The BG2EE GUI we see in the first post of this thread is not polished either - logical if we consider it's not the final version, but I hope the final version won't suffer the same problem as the BGEE one.

Else blood, black diary, spoon, and Trent Oster waking up upon a lava sea just to discover a hundred of myself disguised in Slayers, ready to jump on him. è_é
  • lamaroslamaros Member Posts: 139
    Kind of odd that this is considered remarkable.
  • RahlikRahlik Member Posts: 86
    Its nice to see some banter among all in the community. After all were all going to re-play the games (again) when bg2 ee is out. :-)
  • GaveGave Member Posts: 66

You can please all of the people some of the time, and all of the people all of the time...

If only more appreciated what the creators and restorers put into these games. There is a lot of time, energy and talent invested.

Yes they put in bugs too, we don't have to appreciate the bugs tho.

• inYokainYoka Member Posts: 4
    Cerevant said:

Yep. So recently we converted a scripter into a coder. One of the few hairdressers who know their way around a pipe wrench, @Avenger_TeamBG, author of GemRB.

I had no idea that Legend was a part of the BGEE team.
    pixie359
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    Please (I mean PLEASE!) remove "Registry keys dependency" from this launcher.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Alien BGEE has no registry key dependency. It's fully portable.
    CuvDiscoCat
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    edited September 2013
    @mlnevese I was referring to the "BG II" old CD version game launcher. It would be great to see it again but without any registry dependencies.
    Post edited by ALIEN on
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    @Papy_Silk - aye, you can't walk around threatening to spoon people to death mate!
    Papy_SilkThe_New_Romancesunset00elminster
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744
    Papy_Silk said:

So yes, if I launch BG2EE and I see the kind of graphical ugly glitches that TrentOster showed in the first post, believe me, I will write his name with my blood on a black diary and I will chase him through the nine hells and murder him slowly with a little spoon. è_é

That's how serious I am with GUI and I am NOT kidding. è_é

(Anyway, I'll probably murder him for BG3. There's no way it can lives up to my expectations. Sorry, Trent, you'll die in pain anyway.)

Someone needs a puppy...

But for the puppy's sake, don't let them play with it without a chaperone present.
    Papy_SilkelminsterAristilliusmlnevese
    I admit the part with the spoon was a little too much. I want to apologize for the slayers that might have been hurt by my wild criticism. :(
    CuvAristilliussunset00
  • VintrastormVintrastorm Member Posts: 216
    edited September 2013
    elminster said:

Just to point one thing out BG2 and BG1 use different styles. BG2 was more elvish in its style (due to much of the plot involving elves). BG1 incorporated stone a lot more and was more "dwarven" themed. If they'd done something more stylistic it just wouldn't have looked right given what BG1 looked like.

Let's hopa BG3 isn't halfling themed and only come out on 7" tablets and less.

(Or a fixed 1/4 of screen resolution located centered bottom and always hiding in the shadows.)