Skip to content

Basic game tips (for new players!)

Comments

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    If by forced, you mean, just never donating large amounts at churches...sure...there's not enough quests with rep bonus to get you from 9 to 18, unless you go out of your way to raise your rep via donations, and having Viccy gives you a free -2 rep, making it even less likely.
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262

If by forced, you mean, just never donating large amounts at churches...sure...there's not enough quests with rep bonus to get you from 9 to 18, unless you go out of your way to raise your rep via donations, and having Viccy gives you a free -2 rep, making it even less likely.

Definitely untrue. If you do every quest in the game, you will hit 20 by the end of Cloakwood easily and there are probably a dozen more quests to give positive rep after that. The linked list here (with spoilers) shows +25 reputation points and doesn't even mention the ones for Cloakwood Mines so it's incomplete. I have never donated a dime at any temple.

http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Reputation
    TJ_HookeratcDaveEudaemonium
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Sometimes I'll throw money at a temple. I view it as an early investment. I get a discount all the sooner, especially if I'm taking Viconia, Dorn, etc who drop your rep just by joining the party.
    TJ_HookerEadwyn_G8keeper
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I'd definitely recommend any new player to have a spare melee weapon for their frontliners. As just about any metal weapon can break and always do so at the wrong moment, spares are good.
    atcDavereedmilfam
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    A spare? Stockpile them until you find a magic version.
    elminster
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Khalid has 4 quickslots. I had 4 non-magical longswords in them until he went to the Nashkel Mines.
    CaptRorySouthpaw
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Buy a club for an emergency back up. Clubs and staves don't break. You'll suffer a -1 penalty to hit if not proficienct, and probably won't be specialized, but any weapon is better then no weapon.
    reedmilfamRnRClown
  • BolekBolek Member Posts: 60
    Still, fist are weapon too;) fast and quite usefull for cast breaking!
  • mirceapuimirceapui Member Posts: 26
    Do i have to enter in all houses in Baldur's Gate and other cities? Or is enough to enter only in marked ones on the map?
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    mirceapui said:

Do i have to enter in all houses in Baldur's Gate and other cities? Or is enough to enter only in marked ones on the map?

You never have to enter a house or business you don't want to. But there are some fun adventures inside!
  • niwreniwre Member Posts: 16
    How do I export my BG1 character to BG 2?
    niwre said:

The easiest way is to just copy your entire save folder from the BG1 to the BG2 folder. Then you can access any of the savegames and import the character out of that. If you've already created a save folder in BG2 and have saves in there you want to keep, then just find the one save file in BG1 you want and copy that into the BG2 save folder.

Now when you start up a New Game in BG2, you click on import, then import from save file, then choose the save file you copied over.

• tobajastobajas Member Posts: 77
    edited November 2013
    (
    mirceapui said:

There are quite a few "hidden" quests, special loot and special monsters hidden in some of the unmarked houses. Most of the times you will only find some gold or maybe a few books and such even with that said there are still for example one of the houses in Baldurs Gate holds a necromancer who has a quest for you and has something on him used for another quest, there is also another house that if you enter it you are attacked by 4 or 5 ogre mage bounty hunters that will tell you your bounty right now is 10 000 gold.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    tobajas said:

(

mirceapui said:

There are quite a few "hidden" quests, special loot and special monsters hidden in some of the unmarked houses. Most of the times you will only find some gold or maybe a few books and such even with that said there are still for example one of the houses in Baldurs Gate holds a necromancer who has a quest for you and has something on him used for another quest, there is also another house that if you enter it you are attacked by 4 or 5 ogre mage bounty hunters that will tell you your bounty right now is 10 000 gold.
    I don't remember the specifics, but I think there are random encounters in the street that kinda push you towards some of the quests. Like somebody mentioning an enslaved Nymph.

As I play a Lawful Party, I never intrude upon private property unless they have a good reason to do so.

niwre said:

The easiest way is to just copy your entire save folder from the BG1 to the BG2 folder. Then you can access any of the savegames and import the character out of that. If you've already created a save folder in BG2 and have saves in there you want to keep, then just find the one save file in BG1 you want and copy that into the BG2 save folder.

Now when you start up a New Game in BG2, you click on import, then import from save file, then choose the save file you copied over.

Thanks. Back in the good old days saves were not stored in your documents folder :-)
    What's the diference between Lawful and Evil party? How this affects the game?
    Well, you can be both Lawful and Evil. :) Actually the alignment doesn't affect the game very much at all, except for a few minor interactions with sidequest NPCs. Reputation is more important.

If you have a high reputation, you will get shop discounts, better rewards for quests, and your evil party members will become unhappy or possibly leave your group.

If you have a low reputation, you will pay more in shops, and eventually they won't sell to you at all, you will have guards chasing you throughout the game, and your good party members and even neutrals will become unhappy or leave. Low reputation will also result in a permanent loss of paladin abilities and ranger abilities, if that is your PC's class.

High and low reputation also impact the storyline.

You increase reputation generally by doing the "good" options in quests. You lower reputation either by doing the "evil" options in quests, or by stealing and murdering. Two of the evil NPCs will lower your reputation just by being in your party.
    edited November 2013
    Looks like is a bit hard for playthrough to be evil. Whenever you go, you are chased by guards and fight them. Everybody wants me dead in this game so i don't need more enemies.
    jackjack
    @mirceapui
    Yeah Good is generally advisable, especially for a beginner, the game strongly encourages you to 'do the right thing' and be the heroic saviour the Sword desperately needs.

The pay-off for being evil is A) You can get more loot and xp from killing and/or stealing from people who Good people wouldn't hurt. B) In general, evil NPCs are stronger than their Good or Neutral counterparts.
    Will any female romance a good Dwarf?
    edited November 2013
    niwre said:

Will any female romance a good Dwarf?

@niwre

Only Neera, as far as I know. The original 3 female love interests are not into dwarves, sad to say. :(
    jackjack
    does EEkeeper work on Steam? what is the most up-to-date version?
  • ancient_hunterancient_hunter Member Posts: 6
    When I run into an enemy caster is it best to use my own casters to buff or are there any go to offensive spells I should start with?

When I run into an enemy caster is it best to use my own casters to buff or are there any go to offensive spells I should start with?

If the enemy caster has no protection spells up, you might want to start off with Magic Missile (short casting time, high chance of broken concentration). If he does have spells up, try using Breach, Dispel Magic and similar spells to debuff him while you attack him in melee and ranged combat with everyone else who can reach him in one round or less. I usually ignore everything else until after the spellcasters are dealt with.

atcDave
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808

Not to disagree with the use of Magic Missile in any way whatsoever, I've also found the Cleric spell Silence, 15' Radius to be an amazing spellcaster neutralizer (at least in BG:EE). This has minimal effect on my own party (the silent zone affects your own casters in that circle, so short range spells (healing, for instance) are affected) because my mage(s) isn't/aren't in that circle. Punked the boss in Durlag's Tower like this (by accident) - turned the encounter to Swiss cheese.

Slay mages first, clerics second. Especially in BG, as there aren't a lot of clerical reach out and hurt you spells.

In the non-spell area, fast weapons are also great against mages. Darts (3 APR) are fantastic in this role, as the strikes come fast and early. If you have an archer (or somebody with a lot of points in bows (Coran comes to mind here)), they're also great against mages. In my one playthrough with an archer, I basically was the mage neutralizer. I include this last paragraph because there are lots of ways to deal with mages, so play around and see what does (and does not) work for you.
  • ancient_hunterancient_hunter Member Posts: 6
    How can I tell what protection spells a caster has? obviously with my own I can just go into the "R" screen, but is there a way to see the spells listed for NPC's? Or is it just an eye test?
    @ancient_hunter

Yes and no. When a caster casts a spell, it shows up in the info log, along with attack rolls, dialogue etc... However in the middle of a messy battle, these casting notifications can be easily missed.

With experience you will begin to learn what different protections look like. Stone Skin and Mirror Images are the most common early game protections you need to worry about. (Minor) Globe of Invulnerability looks like a blue orb, and Protection from Magical Energy- type spells looks like a globe of webbed energy.

It would be good if somebody made a visual guide to spell protections, with screencaps.
    Time4Tiddy
    If you're not sure, a combination of the above would be best: hit him with an Arrow, and check the log to see what happens. After that, it is Breach, Magic Missile and pound him into the ground, depending on the circumstances. Silence, 15' radius is a great choice as well;

It would be good if somebody made a visual guide to spell protections, with screencaps.

This is a great idea - I have been playing these games for over a decade, and I still can't always tell what spell they have up. I find myself casting Breach a lot to no effect, wasting spells and time.

• beobeo Member Posts: 143
    I didn't want to start new thread for this, but for are the advantages of half-elf over elf? From description it seems there are none, especially in terms of abilities.