Skip to content

2D or 3D??

pablomnipablomni Member Posts: 94
edited August 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)
Lose all that is graphics, no game in this genre that comes to the soles of shoes. 3d abounds in the world and people forget the tactical ability and charm of the 2d and isometric camera. Hopefully BGEE or otherwise, BG3 resurrect this type of gameplay. It would be glorious than the same game twice resurrected some features in the video game world. 2D or 3D renderings would be great, but always with the isometric view!
What do you think?

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Yeah, basically Im ok if the back grounds are rendered in 3d for games like this, so long as the camera is fixed, and the view is isometric.
    Basically 2.5d - see the latest DS mario games for an example.
    FateAscends
  • pablomnipablomni Member Posts: 94
    I agree, share your opinion.
  • Silver_MoonSilver_Moon Member Posts: 72
    Add POLL to this theme for better audience indication. Please, if you wish...

AntonJariahxSynn
    ok, tanks!
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    I don't think the view has to be isometric. Pretty much all RTS nowdays are 3D from above in perspective. It really makes the game look better and adds depth.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    2D all the way.
    FateAscends
    3D offers much much more freedom. All armors can look unique, animation is smoother, character customization is better, lighting can be dynamic, environment can be more dynamic and react to what you do, environment can have more variability, environment can be entirely animated, game is resolution independent and always looks sharp and the list goes on.

There is absolutely no reason what so ever to choose 2D over 3D today.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    2.5D please!
    mch202NWN_babaYaga
    edited August 2012
    @Bercon Sculpture does not surpass painting, and vice versa. An unchanging perspective has a beauty unmimicable in three dimensions

Edit (hadn't finished writing!)

Obviously we differ in opinion, these aren't fact's we're dealing with, I don't think you can say "there is no reason." These games still look amazing and full of charm, unlike the bland Diablo3 or homogenous Starcraft2, two recent 3D converts.

Edit, actually some of the larger scale animations were pretty cool in Diablo3!
    Well 3D doesn't prevent you from having isometric view and all my points are still valid. Most of Baldur's Gate series is done in 3D and then rendered 2D because the computation power back then simply would not have been able to cope with the 3D in realtime. Now it can.

Still, human eye understands 3D environments with perspective better than those with none. You could even have both, since nothing prevents from having isometric and perspective cameras as an option if the game is done in real time 3D.
    MoomintrollNWN_babaYagapablomni
    @Bercon I was being far too reactionary, defending my favourite old games, you make a good point.

I think what I like is actually fixed perspective (like Starcraft 2) and being forced to be at some distance from the character, like BG or the SC2 tactical missions for that matter. That should aesthetically do me.

I think it would be nice in 3d isometric view while preserving the....
  • SacherySachery Member Posts: 33
    I pref 2d over 3d. Because 3d migth have better graphic, but it then lack details and uniq. Think the old games have more soul than the games today.
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    What did they mean when they said they will be "replacing" all of the 3D cinematic movies with 2D hand-painted animated cinematics?

I hope that doesn't mean we'll be seeing Sarevok on a lame Diablo 3-style paper book slideshow in the intro. I love all the original cinematics and I REALLY hope they don't ruin them.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMageFateAscends
  • rosestormrosestorm Member Posts: 23
    Hopefully, if they are changing the cinematics, they will give an option to use the old ones for people that want that.
    @Wraith_Sarevok I think they mean they'll have done new artwork on top of the rendered 3D frames of the old animations. Touching up, so to speak.
  • wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    Dungeon Siege 3 was 3D Isometric, and I think it looked pretty good. An upgrade of that would be good for this series.
    Personally I prefer the new animations of Sam Hulick, is an excellent artist. Could be 3D if it respects the isometric view and the essence of the game.
  • robinkomrobinkom Member Posts: 8
    I've only just gotten used to 3D isometric games in recent years. For some reason before then, I had a heck of a time with trying to play them; like my hand/eye coordination had an automatic kill switch for 3D visuals or something. Gotten better but I still prefer 2D. I think that's just out of habit and the kind of games I was always used to.

3D graphics have pretty much peaked for now until the next great innovation, they're so commonplace that no one bats an eyelash at them. I always had a greater appreciation for flat 2D art and a designers ability to translate a faux-3D forced perspective to it. There's a lot to do with having tighter constrictions versus the grand vision and I find that people will try harder when they have less to work with.
    pablomni
  • ShadowShadow Member Posts: 20
    Never really enjoyed Neverwinter because it was 3D and it just felt low quality due to lack of detail you can put into 3D texture.

I much prefer 2D graphics.

From the screenshots it looks like they've built the new areas using 3D modelling which is a bit upsetting as the detail seems to have dropped and looks a lot more smooth. Though it might be just be the artist drawing differently?
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    @Shadow, you probably talking about the "blurriness" , here is an official comment:

Since many people seem to write that the screenshots are blurry... hopefully this will be fixed until the releasedate?

Those issues were largely jpeg resizing issues. New screenshots are on the way.

• ShadowShadow Member Posts: 20
    @mch202 That's great news. I was quite worried when I saw them but I would of survived but this is reassuring.

If Baldurs Gate 3 is to be made I believe it should be in the exact style it is. 3D would sort of ruin it. Magic is probably the only area 3D would look correct.
  • DuranDuran Member Posts: 15
    I rather keep Baldurs Gate the way it is for nostalgic reasons. Though if they make a Baldurs Gate 3 with less restraints then more details to the 2d environment and models would be nice :)
    Mortianna
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    I am completely ok with 2d. In fact, I want Baldur's Gate 3 to be 2d. Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 graphics were stunning. If the 3d graphics doesn't ruin the gameplay(and the soul of the game), however, 3d will be awesome too.
    pablomniIgnoMoomintroll
    Djimmy said:

I am completely ok with 2d. In fact, I want Baldur's Gate 3 to be 2d. Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 graphics were stunning. If the 3d graphics doesn't ruin the gameplay(and the soul of the game), however, 3d will be awesome too.

Excelent!!!

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    If this was a poll I'd vote 2d isometric :)
    Moomintroll
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    How about 3d rendered but still in 2d world? Much like Lionheart Legacy of the Crusaders?
    Fredjo
  • mercyfulfate1988mercyfulfate1988 Member Posts: 43
    I don't thing BG would be the same without an isometric viewpoint. I do hope they add a 3d world with an editor so people can add adventures and new areas to the world. I don't need omega graphics either but a few varied armor and weapon models would be nice too.
  • RabandRaband Member Posts: 1
    Same viewpoint, but 3D would give more environmental options - stairs, bridges you can walk under/over, platforms to shoot from, fall damage and I'm sure a whole lot more that can't be effectively done with the 2.5D.

Definitely keep it the isometric view though.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    So it would basically be 3D, but with a fixed camera.

Something I think more games would do well to implement, personally.