Skip to content

Your favourite Monk kit?

OperativeNLOperativeNL Member Posts: 146
Sun Soul Monk:

SUN SOUL MONK: Sun Soul Monks were once worshippers of Amaunator in the time of the Netheril, but today their worship is divided between Lathander, Selûne, and Sune. Sun Soul Monks adhere strictly to the law, using their martial arts and magical abilities to drive out darkness and corruption wherever they find it.

Advantages:
– 2nd level: May cast Sun Soulray once per day.
– 5th level: May cast Flaming Fists once per day.
– 6th level: Gains an additional use of Sun Soulray.
– 8th level: May cast Greater Sun once per day.
– 10th level: Gains an additional use of Sun Soulray.
– 13th level: May cast Soul Sunbeam once per day.
– 15th level: Gains an additional use of Sun Soulray.

SUN SOULRAY: The Sun Soul Monk projects a blast of light from open palm, dealing 1d8 damage every 2 levels to a maximum of 5d8. This ability does an additional 6 damage vs. undead.

FLAMING FISTS: The Sun Soul Monk channels inner light into unarmed attacks, turning fists into flaming weapons that deal an additional 2d6 fire damage per hit for the next round. The duration increases to 2 rounds at level 9, 3 rounds at level 12, 4 rounds at level 15, and 5 rounds at level 25. This special ability automatically modifies normal attacks; no weapon-switching needs to be done.

GREATER SUN: The Sun Soul Monk wreathes self in flames that act as a Fireshield (Red), granting the Monk 50% Fire Resistance and protecting from attacks made within a 5-ft. radius. An opponent that hits the Monk with any weapons or spells within this radius suffers 1d8+2 points of fire damage.

SUN SOULBEAM: The Sun Soul Monk emits a dazzling burst of light that strikes at all other creatures within a 30-ft. radius. The Sun Soulbeam does not automatically hit all targets, but makes a melee attack using the Monk's current THAC0 (+3 to hit vs. undead). Struck creatures suffer 9d6 points of damage (9d6+3 if undead), unless they save vs. Spell for half. In addition, all creatures except the Monk must save vs. Spell or be blinded for 10 turns.

Disadvantages:
– Alignment restricted to lawful good.
– May not use Stunning Blow ability.
– May not use Quivering Palm ability.

Dark Moon Monk:

DARK MOON MONK: The Order of the Dark Moon is a secretive monastic order that follows the teachings of the dark goddess Shar. Monks of the Dark Moon use physical prowess, dark magic, and many different forms of deception to mask their activities and strike with deadly precision.

Advantages:
– Perception: +2 bonus to Saving Throws vs. Illusion spells.
– May cast Chill Touch once per day every four levels (starts at 1st level with one use).
– 1st level: May cast Blindness once per day.
– 3rd level: May cast Blur once per day.
– 7th level: May cast Vampiric Touch once per day.
– 11th level: May cast Mirror Image once per day.

Disadvantages:
– Alignment restricted to lawful evil.
– May not use Lay On Hands ability.
– May not use Stunning Blow ability.

I've never played a monk before, not in all my years of BG2 playing either. They seem like completely different playstyles and I'd like to solo BGEE/BG2EE with one. But I can't decide which monk kit is most fun to play. Is any of them the best? Or the most fun in your opinion? If so why?

Both kits seem really cool from a roleplaying perspective but missing out on Stunning Blow seems like a huge disadvantage... are the advantages of the Sun Soul / Dark Moon monks worth this big disadvantage?
  1. Your favourite Monk kit?159 votes
    1. Sun Soul Monk
      21.38%
    2. Unkitted Monk
      45.91%
    3. Dark Moon Monk
      32.70%

Comments

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Chill Touch is one of my favorite 1st-level spells, so of course I like the Dark Moon Monk's ability to use it regularly.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I haven't played Monk in forever, but Sun Soul seems about half a million times better than Dark Moon.
    AristilliusQuartz
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Gotta go with the unkitted monk myself :)
    Shin
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    The original and best.
    JuliusBorisov
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Where is the option for "the only good monk is a dead monk"?

Actually I've never rolled one or had rasa ad as a companion. I do intend on playing with him in bg2.
    IkMarcQuartz
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    I think the Sun Soul Monk is an attempt to get around the lack of elemental damage that monks have normally had, allowing interruption of mages with stoneskins on. That's useful, but I don't think it's worth losing Stunning Blow and Quivering Palm for.
    ghostowlelminsterbooinyoureyesT2av
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    ...I played mostly with normal monk, who appeals to me most.
    Currently, because I was allowed to beta-test the new patch*, I have started a Dark Moon Monk playthrough and I will mostly solo the game or duo with Rasaad (Sun Soul Monk).

So I do reserve my judgement for later.

* Dark Moon Monk is slightly different in the new patch. Instead of Chill Touch spell, he provides +2 cold damage to his fists for each attack for several rounds. This whole setup (Sun Soul being fire and Dark Moon being cold) sounds awesome so far.
    SchneidendJuliusBorisovRAM021
    CoryNewb said:

Actually I've never rolled one or had rasa ad as a companion. I do intend on playing with him in bg2.

I played a monk thru BGEE. A bit harder to build than a normal "BHGLARGHHH BERSERK EVERYTHING" Fighter, but viable and interesting. There's my guide in the "Strategies" part of this forum. Along with some comparisons of BGEE end-game. (Spoiler: almost the same as Dorn)
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    The biggest problem with the vanilla monk is that stunning blow and quivering palm don't have save penalties, so their usefulness drops off as enemies get tougher.

Both new kits get around this in different ways. A dark moon monk with blur and mirror inage in addition to all that magic resistance will end up being very hard to kill...
    Stormvessel
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    Corvino said:

The biggest problem with the vanilla monk is that stunning blow and quivering palm don't have save penalties, so their usefulness drops off as enemies get tougher.

Both new kits get around this in different ways. A dark moon monk with blur and mirror inage in addition to all that magic resistance will end up being very hard to kill...

You can always get to use mirror image as a regular monk by having that sword (forgot name) that gave mirror image usage.

Blur / chill touch vs. Quivering Palm and Stunning Blow? I'll take the latter, thanks
    elminsterJuliusBorisovbooinyoureyes
    @ghostowl - as far as I know, DMM still can get Quivering palm. Just instead that stun, we get some cold damage (+2 per hit). Just like Sun Soul Monks get to do KAMEHAMEHAAAAA!
    booinyoureyes
    This thread made me think, does anyone know if there's a mod for the new BG1 kits in BG2? I really don't like waiting for the EE... >_>
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171

This thread made me think, does anyone know if there's a mod for the new BG1 kits in BG2? I really don't like waiting for the EE... >_>

It's not like you're only gonna be playing the new kits when it comes out on BG2EE..try playing some original kits in the meantime..or try some shadowkeeper illegal dual-classes (assassin/monk sounds fun)
    @ghostowl: I've been doing that for about, oh, 12 years now. I'm just about ready for something fresh.
    Apparently Dark Moon Monks now (as of 1.2) get detect illusion as a thief ability they can level. If you were to focus towards it that could be very useful especially in BG2EE.
    RAM021
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    edited October 2013
    Southpaw said:

CoryNewb said:

I played a monk thru BGEE. A bit harder to build than a normal "BHGLARGHHH BERSERK EVERYTHING" Fighter, but viable and interesting. There's my guide in the "Strategies" part of this forum. Along with some comparisons of BGEE end-game. (Spoiler: almost the same as Dorn)
    I am starting a new mp party soon and will probably incorporate rasaad in our party to do his quests to prepare me for having him in my initial party in BG 2
  • elminster said:

Apparently Dark Moon Monks now (as of 1.2) get detect illusion as a thief ability they can level. If you were to focus towards it that could be very useful especially in BG2EE.

I was on the fence, but this pushed me into the DMM camp. I know what my next evil character is going to be.

elminsterRAM021
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    Fire! Explosions! Fun!
    elminsterSylphJenzafarStormvessel
  • OperativeNLOperativeNL Member Posts: 146
    Southpaw said:

CoryNewb said:

Yes I've actually been inspired by your Monk Guide to play one, causing me to make this poll!

elminster said:

This is very cool, if they allow us to upgrade it with level.

I'm quite sure the SunSoul and Dark Moon monks are good, but... my main question remains: Is it worth to give up Stunning Blow??

(I dont mind losing Quivering Palm because, while very cool, i think it's boring to one-shot powerful enemies)

"This is very cool, if they allow us to upgrade it with level. "

Yea it can be upgraded on level up.
  • OperativeNLOperativeNL Member Posts: 146
    PS I just tried out a normal Monk for a while, and I must say the Stunning Blow is a bit dissapointing. I managed to stun the Belt Fetish Ogre south of the Friendly Arm Inn, however, the stun only lasts mere seconds! I was expecting more of a 'Hold'-effect where the monster is taken out of combat for a significantly longer amount of time. Considering that the stun only lasts a round, and for it to actually be stunned the Monk has to hit within the 6-second frame that the ability works with his one attack AND the monster has to fail it's save... this makes Stunning Blow seem less powerful than I'd expected..

So maybe it's not such a big deal to give up?
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Blur + Mirror image? That destroy the sun monk and i'll gladly give up stunning blow and quivering palm for it.

+3 AC
    +1 Saving throw
    Mirror images

I'll take that anyday.
    as far as I know, DMM can still use Quivering Palm.
    SionIVRAM021
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Southpaw said:

as far as I know, DMM can still use Quivering Palm.

You are correct, i read that wrong. They are losing out on lay on hands and not Quivering. Thank you for correcting me.
    @SionIV - DMM trades "Lay on Hands" for "Vampiric Touch". Vampiric touch is offensive, but can be interrupted. Laying on hands is purely defensive, but I haven't seen it being interrupted.
    RAM021
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I think the new inclusion of Detect Illusions for the DMM has tipped me to the dark side (not that I needed much pushing). I really like the SS's kit, though. I will definitely use Rasaad for my good run.
    RAM021Mr_Mallow
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Unkitted.

WAHT
    STAHP LOOKIGN AT ME

I mean I'll play with kits, but I'll play unkitted stuff, too.
  • DancingBugbearDancingBugbear Member Posts: 118
    The one that isn't uneffective. But they skipped putting that in.
  • DancingBugbearDancingBugbear Member Posts: 118
    I'd like the one that sits and starves himself, and studies scriptures. He could invoke avatars from his realm to consider the situation.