Skip to content

Should be Neeras, Dorns and Rasaads portraits baldurized in BG2EE?

DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
What do you think, should the portraits of Neera, Dorn and Rasaad be redrawn and baldurized in BG2EE like Jaheira, Minsc, Edwin, Viconia, Imoen BG1-->BG2 style?
  1. Should be Neeras, Dorns and Rasaads portraits baldurized in BG2EE?166 votes
    1. Yes. They should be more BG2 stylish.
      56.02%
    2. No. It's not a catostrophe if they are a lil'bit diffirent.
      27.71%
    3. I don't care for NPC portraits.
        6.63%
    4. The devs should make a fan drawning contest and put the winner's baldurized portraits into the game.
        6.63%
    5. I don't like the BG:EE portraits style at all.
        3.01%

Comments

• etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    just for the fun of it, or the fan draw option ;D
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Not going to be using them so i couldn't care less to be honest.
    MonkLover
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    Best to leave them as they are. Unless they have some sort of life altering disaster, like Dorns husband being killed, or Neera being tortured and made to watch as Irenicus mutilates the body.
    etagloc
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Although its unlikely, fan art contests are always cool with me.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Ehh please to don't do them like the BG II portraits, in any case. :S
    elminsterMortianna
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    It would be nice for them to have updated portraits. But they dont have to match the BG2 style.
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    It depends on what portrait artist they have on hand. If they can get the person who did the BG2 ones, then sure redo the BG:EE ones in that style. However if they can't, instead of getting the BG:EE artist to change their style to emulate the BG2 one... then they should get the BG:EE artist to make a set of new portraits to replace the BG2 ones.

I've never liked the BG2 portraits but I found the BG:EE ones to be a decent attempt to emulate the BG1 ones which I greatly prefer. So I say redo the BG2 ones.
    mch202
  • xenophonxenophon Member Posts: 17
    Doesnt matter to me, I typically change all the portraits of npcs to ones I feel look better/suit them more.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I think a contest could be fun, but they shouldn't promise to use something from the contest in case nothing good shows up.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I'm prone to use own portraits for many NPCs, so I don't really care.
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    well.. just a little bit older/sadder/with little more scars/whatever - according to their story in between.. why did they want to go to Amn, especially Neera for ex -!.. - (like the others coming from BG1). Just for the coherence / time passing too.
    jackjack
  • DinoDino Member Posts: 291
    edited October 2013
    sunset00 said:

well.. just a little bit older/sadder/with little more scars/whatever - according to their story in between.. why did they want to go to Amn, especially Neera for ex -!.. - (like the others coming from BG1). Just for the coherence / time passing too.

Thats funny, I always thought the BG2 ones portrayed the characters as younger and more joyful. Probably due to the added jewlery, braids and overall 'smoothness' :P
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    it would be a nice feature but i like them as they are well enough
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I wonder if anyone will ever make an unbiased poll...
    CalmarJuliusBorisov
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    @Dino For the ones coming from BG1 (jaheira, minsc, viconia, etc), i always thought they looked grown up, classier, kinda wiser too..well, more mature ('they saw things'!) ).. so my 'older' i guess (though..debatable for jaheira new haircut maybe)..but she is an elf after all..she became more haircut sensitive after 150 yo maybe..but better make-up, definitively too) ) For Imoen, the most obvious change, other reasons were involved in the meantimes, k).. i just wonder what will be the reasons for our 3 dorn / neera / rasaad to be in Amn now.. especially for our little birdie (manga like) head neera.. if she just thought Amn was a cooler place to experiment wild magics lol.. and if all that she witnessed on the westcoast did not change her a bit anyway..and what happened to her to wish crazily to go south like that -!.. will discover that soon i guess.. ;o)

just for the reminder;
    http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate/npcs.html
    http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate2/npcs.html
    ;)
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Idk, I remember really not liking the idea that everyone looked different in BG2 too much. Not too big a deal, but it really distracted me with Imoen in particular. I mean Irenicus took a break from torturing her, to dye her hair.
    *cough* Maybe that's just me though.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    One of the more ordinary sorts of aesthetic evaluations that can be made is “this is beautiful.”

What is interesting about such an evaluation as “this is beautiful” or “this is awful” is what it leaves out. Compare, “this is beautiful (awful) to me.”

Why when we talk about portraits of Neera, Dorn and Rasaad do we feel that we can omit the relativizing clause “to me”?

“This is beautiful (awful) to me. Is it beautiful (awful) to you? No? Oh well.”

In order to have a sustained dialogue about art or an aesthetic evaluation, we cannot merely make claims about our own dispositions, nor can we make claims that hold for everyone.

The variants in this poll are biased.

For me, these portraits are not a catostrophe at all, I actually like them and don't think they should be changed. It's my personal POV.
    sunset00Scooter
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I'd vote for an option where all the portraits were re-done in the Icewind Dale-style. I already use IWD 1 and 2 portraits for all the NPCs. The only problems are that there isn't a suitable Imoen and whilst there is a good Minsc he is lacking a Boo.
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    For me its a must. They must be completely redrawn to fit BG2 style. Its a custom of franchise.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Leave 'em. i doubt they can get the actual BG2 artist back, in which case they would end up looking kinda strange. And even then they might, since styles evolve over time and we've had over a decade.

Besides, we all have custom portraits.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Good as is.
    jackjackelminster
  • nemiafalanemiafala Member Posts: 18
    I don't care overly much if they're redrawn to fit the style or not, but if you look at the dates in your journal, BG2 starts a full year after BG1 starts. It seems to me that they should be redone at least a bit to reflect that.
    DarkDogg
  • ZarakinthishZarakinthish Member Posts: 214
    While I don't particularly care if the style changes, I think it would be really interesting if Neera's picture had different colored hair (i.e. she suffered another "accident" between games).
    Malicronnemiafala
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    there was actually a discussion about this, and one of the devs said that their portraits will not be changed in the 2nd game
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    sarevok57 said:

there was actually a discussion about this, and one of the devs said that their portraits will not be changed in the 2nd game

Hackwork and parsimony this is.
    Xzar
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    sarevok57 said:

If its true, then its a let down. Come on, they will be only NPCs with same portraits in both games! That will stand out immensely,

• zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    PIE IS A LIE

i do care a little
  • arvanaharvanah Member Posts: 6
    Where is the option for "dear lord no!" Edwin's BG2 portrait was a trainwreck and Imoen looked depressed... although that change was probably appropriate given the story.