Skip to content

Things we got wrong

I remember for my first couple of playthroughs I assumed clerics couldn't wear armour as they cast spells like mages. I also assumed that you couldn't carry a shield while using a sling, like bows and crossbows.

Boy was my cleric terrible in those runs.

Where have you messed up royally?
EudaemoniumSCARY_WIZARDJuliusBorisovSyntia13Starflower2525WillyML4

Comments

• artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    I attacked one of the tutors... reloaded/restarted a few times and came back when I understanded English

Recently: Picked Skald as PC... Support roles are not my thing
    Wilbur
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    When I first played IWD2, I didn't realise that instead of casting magic being outright impossible in armour, there was just a chance to fail. So I put armor on all my mages cos hey, they can cast in it now! I then spent ages wondering why so many of my spells failed...
    lunarGodKaiserHellSyntia13WillyML4
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I first played IWD2, I had no idea how to scribe scrolls. And I had a drow illusionist and a human necromancer (so they could cast each other's banned schools, I thought I was smart!) My cleric Silverstar of Selune kept getting new spell levels, but my mages never got new spells, I was casting spells from scrolls I found, and wondering how/when they will get new spell levels. :facepalm: I was playing on easy, ofcourse, so I still managed to get to the end of the goblin stronghold with two nearly useless mages in my party. It was there I discovered 'write magic' option when I right clicked a scroll with a mage. I was like, 'D'Oh!' :p

In BG2 I played an elven cleric that used darts. Yeah in pre patch SoA normal darts were bugged and were usable by clerics, although they could not get proficiency in it. I found them cool as I had three attacks with them, I thought they were super useful! I then killed off Fİrkraag for the first time with a very lucky Holy Smite spell, which I thought was the best spell ever in the game then...heh. Good times. ^^
    JuliusBorisov
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Not exactly a mistake as much as poor optimization, but my first playthrough of the original BG1 was with a Paladin who used a Long Sword and a Bow. Since the proficiency for Long and Two-Handed Swords was the same, I'd probably be better off with a Two-Handed Sword.

Boring, I know. Next!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I routinely skipped Xzar and Montaron when I first played BG1. I suppose Xzar's health made him unappealing compared to someone like Edwin.
    Quartz
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    i was playing bg2 for the first time

solo f/m/t with long sword +2 AND SHIELD 90% of SOA
    no pfmw - why? it is such a bad spell works for only 3 rounds!!!! stone skin ftw! 16 hours or so! mirror image too

how to kill a lich? wait till his buffs are gone and than attack!
  • Kilivitz said:

enqenq said:

I figured my cavalier would work just fine with 3 int, which he did until he had a blind date with an illithid.

And that, kids, is why you don't min-max!
    Or rather, why you don't simply "max." The "min" part is all about covering glaring weaknesses like a 3 int.

I think one of the most glaring mistakes I've made is trying to play multiplayer with a friend who liked running off and exploring on his own (and then bringing back whatever horde of enemies he stumbled into).

sarevok57Calmar
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    @ajwz Funny, it took me a while to realize there was a reward for *not* killing Noober (or running away, I guess, but my bow finger is twitchy). I've still never obtained it, but I do know it's there!
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    My very first play through I did not realize the + sign meant level up, I played a while at level 1 and wondered why the game was so difficult. It was a long time before I realized Jaheira could wear heavy armor. I rarely changed NPCs out of the gear they had originally until I started getting magical gear.
    JuliusBorisovSyntia13
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    ajwz said:

For ages, I didn't realise you could kill Noober.

You kill him?! But he gives such a great experience reward for ignoring him..
    SCARY_WIZARDCrevsDaak
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited October 2013
    That minsc was a god and no other fighter or NPC was even close to him in power, and then trying to convince my brother and all my friends of this little fact. It got even harder to do when you got to BG2 and had to tell them why he is so much better than Korgan.

Now i kind of think he is low tier at best.
    ArcalianCrevsDaak
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    edited October 2013
    Somehow Minsc still gets the biggest kill count in any party I put together, both in BG1 and BG2. It doesn't seem to matter at all if his THAC0 is 3-4 values worse than anyone else's, he's still MVP all along.
    KilivitzThe_Guilty_Party
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    First time opening the game I was frustrated beyond words with group combat, until I figured out auto-pause. I was probably minutes away from just chucking the whole thing.
    elminsterBelgarathMTH
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Having only played Fallout before in the RPG category, I thought levelling was automatic and the game was just ridiculously hard. Bandit Camp before I got it.
    WilburSyntia13