Skip to content

Am I the only one on the fourms with the original baldurs gate?

StolemykitkatsStolemykitkats Member Posts: 7
Because it sure seems like it :/

Comments

• redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    Uh... no. What gave you that idea?
    SCARY_WIZARDMalicronNight_WatchMortianna
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    I think he means the only person who didn't purchase EE

As to answer your question, there's a couple of very few people who didn't get it. I got it but I know a lot of BG fans outside of these forums who generally dislike the EE's
    TJ_Hooker
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    I actually have two copies of the entire series, and I'm not sure why. I've got one set with the original CDs, and one box set with DVDs. :)

Same goes for the Icewind Dale games, although they are all DVDs.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited October 2013
    Multiples copies...

Original 6 disc set. TotSC set. BG: Original saga, BG2:SoA, BG2: ToB, BG 4-in-1 Collection. Atari Ultimate DnD collection. 2 copies of torment. IWD1, heart of fury, IWD collection, IWD 2. Probably 5 or 7 copies of NWN1+x-packs spread somewhere around my PC game collection (my friends played the hell out of that for years). NWN2 (god I hate that game SO MUCH). And ToEE. Gold Box collection. Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor.

I actually prefer vanilla BG1. It lacks a lot of the REALLY annoying factors that bug me about about BG2 and EE. IWD1 is another favorite, but due to it's much more linear scope, I don't play it nearly as often, despite quite enjoying a lot of it's more accurate mechanics.

Not perfect of course, but is a much cleaner base for my More PnP accurate alterations.
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on
    JuliusBorisov
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I have the original 5 disc set of BG1. the original SoA, the collector's edition of SoA, the complete saga DVD because i wanted to play it and I had no way of getting the older discs at the time, and BG:EE on 3 different devices, and will have BG2:EE on 2.
  • MirenheartMirenheart Member Posts: 41
    I ended up finding the original five disks (just the disks in cases, no boxes or anything) at some local shop for $10. Didn't need it as I already had EE, but I bought it anyways.
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    Got the 5 disc original baldur's gate (german) here with SoA collector's edition and ToB (both german) and the complete saga in english, so i guess you are one of roughly half the users here, who still have the originial copy :>
    SCARY_WIZARD
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I've got the original disks purchased when it first came out. I just finished playing through that (via Tutu) a few months back and am now playing BG:EE. For myself, both have their pluses and minuses. But yeah, quite a few posters on the forum still play 'The original'.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    i have the 5 disc edition of baldurs gate (used to have the A4 sized wallet thing but that got lost in between moving countries) now mine it a little folded thing with the 5 discs, and i have a Big Box edition of baldurs gate 2 with manual, spell sheet and map
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    I have original copies of Baldur's Gate, Tales of the Sword Coast, Shadows of Amn, and Thone of Bhaal. I think most of us do.
    Night_Watch
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Got them all, even the guidebooks. Not a fan of how they rated the characters. Jan a bronze star? Surely they jest.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629

Got them all, even the guidebooks. Not a fan of how they rated the characters. Jan a bronze star? Surely they jest.

Those books are only good for the item and mob spawn codes. They think Viconia's the only romance option you can sleep with, ffs!
    Night_Watch
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,174
    My original discs are too scratched and no longer work, I still keep them though. Sentimental value...
    Mrpenfold666
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Pecca said:

My original discs are too scratched and no longer work, I still keep them though. Sentimental value...

That happened to my IWD disc. I had to go out and buy a new one. Good thing it wasn't discontinued yet at the time, when the game was already like 10 years old. But then I eventually got the disc working again by rubbing it with toothpaste.
    PeccaMrpenfold666
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I bought it when it first came out. 5 CDs followed by TotSC CD.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    edited October 2013
    Even if you were, why would it matter? Please elaborate.
    lansounetGodKaiserHell
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    I don't have the original as it was... But I got it as part of a collection with other D&D PC games...

And through GoG before BGEE was an actual thing, because Windows 7 hates installing BG1 for some reason...
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    i had no problem with original baldurs gate on 7, had MAJOR problems with 8 running it when my internet was down and i couldnt download EE (thanks guys, ive said this before but you've ruined my chance at free time :D)
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    I own the both games (with expansions) on the original discs, on GOG and the EE version.

Not sure why you ask, but after beta testing the new EE patch I'd never go back to the other two.
    SchneidendMrpenfold666
    Hey, I still have the spinny wheel that came with my original copy of Gold Box Pool of Radiance (with the 5 1/2 inch disks too boot). I think I even still have the Gold Box. So

<----- Packrat here.
    jackjackMrpenfold666Michail
  • MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    edited October 2013
    @stolemykitkats
    If you meant you still play the original 1998 edition, i sympathize. It was hard to let go, and BGEE didn't feel exactly right at first. But I just couldn't get the old edition to run properly on win 7 64bit.

I still have the white label carton box of BG (whoah, i just found a floppy disk with saved games in it, if only i had a floppy drive... wait, i actually have one), the original BGII carton Box with SOA and TOB together (a windows 98 startup floppy disk inside it!), and all of them again in the 4 in 1 Boxset (including TOSC as well).

They all have always been the first games to reinstall every time i get a new computer. BGII is still installed on my desktop, AND on an android tablet (GEMRB and original files copied). BG was installed on the desktop and occasionaly visited (rolled weird chars and played the intro for fun), untill BGEE came out.

@the_spyder
    Respect, man! Pool of Radiance was the first dnd computer game i ever played (on an amiga).

EDIT: @stolemykitkats
    Are you not getting BGEE out of conviction? I understand many players really like the old modds and will probably not switch to the new edition untill it's been "properly" modded.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    I have the original discs, yes. I nostalgically remember swapping discs every time I went to a different section of the city.
    CutlassJackMrpenfold666
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @PugPug it's all well and good until one of your discs gets scratched. This only happens if your ***king younger brother is also playing through and has the hand-eye co-ordination of a drunken Ox.

For this reason I have the original 5 BG1 discs + TOTSC, 4 BG2 discs + TOB and a barely-used Collectors Edition DVD set as a backup, in addition to BG:EE.
    JuliusBorisovMrpenfold666
  • MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    PugPug said:

I have the original discs, yes. I nostalgically remember swapping discs every time I went to a different section of the city.

Good old times. I actually once created ISO images of my CDs, kept them on my HD, and used a virtual CD drive. Travelled a lot with a trusty old laptop, small luggage and no CDs, but BG was there with me.
    alnair
    I also have something like 4 copies of BG2 including the original 'Collectors edition' box set. And I have two copies of Planescape: Torment because one copy stopped working. :(

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I lay the original on an ancient computer (like, windows 98 ancient.) and am still playing through bg2 as well. It's fun the old thing makes all sorts of buzzy whirry and beepy noises. :-)
    CrevsDaak
  • FistandantilusFistandantilus Member Posts: 12
    i play the EE but i still have the discs. the 5 disc fold out cd holder and the 6 disc. BG2 was my first pc game from my dad, cant remember how old i was but i was born in late 1990. damn i must have about 2000 hours on the baldurs gate saga.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Umm, no. WIN7 won't install from the original discs, however, which is why I have BG:EE.