Skip to content

Things we got wrong

Comments

• WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173

One mistake I did was when my big brother found out the what good game his little brother had bought.

He made me sit and re-roll, until his character had the best stats, while he did his homework and later I could watch him play.

I guess it's a good thing I don't have a brother after all.
    BelgarathMTHMrpenfold666CrevsDaak
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    I tried several times to convince my little brother to try the original BG saga at the time, and BG:EE now... in vain, sadly.
  • jameskerjamesker Member Posts: 99
    When I first started I thought it would be good to be a fighter\cleric/thief i thought 3 classes in one is the best thing to do! Untill I never left level 1 and got one shotted by more or less every monster

Took me awhile to figure out you could assign different battle scripts to your party members. After doing so I didn't know you could turn them off quickly via the bottom lower left AI button.

Never noticed you could also drink potions at their description tab.

Never tried to talk to my familiar, and had no clue it can go into your backpack.

Didn't know that the thief's Detect Illusion ability is tied to the Detect/Disarm trap icon. When activated and your Detect Illusion skill is high enough invisible enemies are detected!!

Lol Mr nameless been playing baldurs gate from the time it came out and didn't realise you could turn off the script AIs from the char bar, went into customise for each guy when killing drizzt earlier. This shows you keep making mistakes and learn from them even after playing for years! Thanks!
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Malicron said:

Oh gods, the list is endless (the joys of playing a game meant for adults when your age is still in single digits)

This sums it up lol. I started playing Baldur's Gate when I was five. O_o;

Umm, first mistake was thinking that Wisdom was the Mage's most important stat. So my mage had an 18 Wisdom and like a 15 Intelligence. Not bad, although his 3 Charisma didn't do him any favors.
    CrevsDaakMarky
    Arcalian said:

It took me until EE to figure out that Horror is a great spell to use.

Lol its great until my characters chase the running enemies into a pack of 5 ogre berserkers
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    Funnily enough I didn't make too many mistakes when I first got hold of Baldur's Gate (I was 12 I think), but then again a friend of mine had it first and I spent time watching him play it before I managed to persuade my mum to buy it for me.

I have made a few daft mistakes recently however. Someone on these forums recommended to me that I try the Bard class out a few months ago. Never really played one in BG before so I figured why not. Being used to 3rd edition and the NWN games, I raised my bards charisma right up and kept his intelligence at a relatively average '10'. I didn't figure it out until I had just finished the Nashkel Mines.

Rage quit.
    RnRClownQuartzsarevok57Silence
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    1. I used to think Turn Undead was a power that allowed you to become an Undead Monster.
    2. I felt it was morally wrong to summon a dog just so you could send it to die in battle.
    3. I would get Dynaheir killed and then remove her corpse from the party because I only wanted Minsc.
    4. I would do the same thing to Montaron.
    EntropyXIICrevsDaakRnRClownImperator
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    edited October 2013
    I used to overlook archers.

I used to overlook the spell sleep.

I never used to bother using turn undead.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    First time I played I took Minsc with me. I stuck him in studded leather and had him dual wielding maces. Since I actually played 2nd ed years ago, I assumed rangers couldn't dual wield in heavier than studded leather. Whole time I could have had him full plate and packing steel.
    XerxesV said:

Wilbur said:

One mistake I did was when my big brother found out the what good game his little brother had bought.

He made me sit and re-roll, until his character had the best stats, while he did his homework and later I could watch him play.

I guess it's a good thing I don't have a brother after all.
    That's essentially the moral of BG1.

Hahahaa, well said :)
  • HixarHixar Member Posts: 7
    When i first got the game i was 9, i thought reading was dumb and pausing was boring. Killing people was my main purpose. Going lone-wolf was my thing and party members were only there for baiting purposes. i didn't get very far. 240 xp was epic and i wasn't going to share it. boy did i learn. I'm now 24 and i got back into BG when the enhanced edition came out. It all makes sense why all i saw was the prologue and the problems at nashkel mines never got resolved.
  • KoyoteKoyote Member Posts: 89
    Took me 12 years to figure out what the Tab button does.
    Made it frustrating to try to find the "secret" items.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Well, vanilla BG1 didn't have a tab button, so you can be partially forgiven.
    Quartz
  • HassonHasson Member Posts: 12
    thinking that magic missile was the only useful spell at 1st level aha
    EudaemoniumJuliusBorisovImperator
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Hasson said:

thinking that magic missile was the only useful spell at 1st level aha

I think we all did that. I did all the way to the end of ToB.
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisov
  • SharShar Member Posts: 158
    My first playthrough went half way through the game thinking level drain was a buff...
    EudaemoniumnanoGemHoundJuliusBorisov
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    I have to ask... did vanilla bg2. Have the tab to see secrets, because I use to scan every room for items, it was really cool when I found something, and I though it was a "feature"
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    This is so weird. All these people keep saying my childhood and saying it's theirs.
    I started playing bg with my dad before I could read, and, yeah. I got into the ee's in June when I saw our old computer sitting in the basement and thought to myself, I wonder if we still have that old game. We had thrown out all the discs except for the one that was left in the disc drive, and I started up the windows 98' machine and played for a few hours. That evening I looked on the App Store to see if there was an iPad edition. "Enhancing" my favorite game sounded dubious, but I gave it a shot. Sure am glad i did now. Got the ToB for windows 98' over the summer, and after that mistake I got SoA, and was able to play the game. Thats how I play until the 15th!
    jackjackSouthpawJuliusBorisov
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    When I made my first character Reggie the dwarven fighter, I didn't understand 2nd edition and had not roleplayed yet at that stage of my life. I didn't notice the REROLL button and just moved his first roll of stats around, giving him high Str and Con and low Dex and Cha. I specialized into warhammers and didn't find Ashideena until near the end of his career. It took me a while to know for sure that THAC0, AC and saves were all better when they were LOWER numbers (AC I learned the fastest, since I figured it simply must be better to have armor than to be naked so the lower number obviously meant it was better). He made about as many dialogue and quest mistakes as you could reasonably expect an intelligent newbie to make, and finally my carelessness with saved games and quest timers led to his death at the hands of the 24 hour poison in Baldur's Gate, ending his quest.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    The first time I went through BG2, it was with a character I had recently beat BG1 with that was a min/maxed fighter/cleric, I had to fight the mindflayers using 100% missile weapons and baiting since my regular spell casting tank kept instantaneously dying.

The first time I went through BG2, I also helped out the Shadow Thieves, I later found out that helping the vampires is so much more satisfying and fun since you kill them anyways, and fighting your way through the same structure twice is not that great.

Other than that, I found BG1 rather easy to figure out for me at 8, I managed to reach Chapter 3, and gave up when I couldn't find the Bandit Camp.
  • SliceofhellSliceofhell Member Posts: 85
    CrevsDaak said:

power of knowing what you're going to face

There are many ways of abusing game mechanics. If that makes it fun for you, then sure, why not.

I thought it was a good idea to play BG2+ToB with an overpowered charname. It wasn't especially in hindsight.